[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've never played the MGS series, and I know it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: MGL_cover_art.jpg (23 KB, 294x339) Image search: [Google]
MGL_cover_art.jpg
23 KB, 294x339
So I've never played the MGS series, and I know it's a very popular series on /v/. I also know that MGS V didn't turn out how everyone wanted it to.

Is it still worth playing the MGS series even though V didn't turn out like you all hoped?
>>
yes it's still great

play in release order, you can skip mg1 and 2 though, and PO
>>
Yes, the MSX games and 1-4 are still good.

Feel free to stop at 4, though.

>>333031915
>you can skip mg1 and 2 though
MG1 maybe, but 2? It's so good
>>
File: THE BEST.png (151 KB, 233x375) Image search: [Google]
THE BEST.png
151 KB, 233x375
>>333031954
I would suggest Peace Walker as well, though, it's pretty good and is a blast if you have someone else to play with.
And V isn't bad as a game itself, it's just bad as a MGS game.
>>
>>333032105
I found PW incredibly boring and far too easy. The bosses are tedious and the story is a rollercoaster of fucking nothing, bad accents and stupid bullshit

The departure from the normal gameplay formula to this day sits poorly with me. I hate mission-based progression. It's the absolute worst, especially for games with a narrative focus.
>>
>>333032347
Well, I like it but I can understand why some people don't. Just keep in mind it was a PSP game in the first place, so you can't exactly expect the same as you would from an actual console MGS.
>>
>>333032420
That's some bullshit and you know it. Nothing about the PSP hardware would necessitate such a large departure from the standard.

Kojima did it because his kid's a MonHunfag.
That's about it.
>>
>>333032541
>Nothing about the PSP hardware would necessitate such a large departure from the standard
Lack of a second analog, and lack of L2 and R2 buttons are reasons enough.
>>
>>333030473
Yes! MGS series is VERY worth playing through, even (or especially?) if you skip MGSV.

Getting the Legacy Collection is arguably the best and easiest way to start the series, as it has ALL the official main-series' games. Playing in release order, starting at least with MGS1, is recommended.

>>333032347
I loved PW, on PS3 that is. It's easily one of my all-time favorite MGS games, and I put over 350h on it on my original save. I even replayed a month before TPP's release, running through the whole plot alone in just below 30h.

The game's simply fun and smooth to play, and there's tons of great set-pieces and atmosphere. MP is great fun too.

All in all, PW is the better, "real" MGS5. Also a huge improvement from Portable Ops.
>>
>>333030473

I don't like MGS very much. Each MGS game is riddled with major flaws in both gameplay an narrative. They're story over gameplay games by the way.
>>
>>333032623
Structure it like MGS1/2 with the top-down perspective.

Wow that was hard

Besides, control restrictions don't account for
>it's suddenly mission-based
>there's base building/grinding
>there's a stupid tiny loadout
>camo is literally worthless
>bosses are rocket sponges with no interesting or challenging patterns
>there are QTEs in the cutscenes now and you have to restart the cutscene if you fail RE4 style
etc.

And this is a personal thing, but I don't like the comic art cutscenes. I know for a fact it wasn't a space issue because there are many games on the PSP with more cutscene time, rendered in-engine, with higher quality models.
Not to mention the recycling of assets to fill out the bloated optional content. I highly doubt they were bereft of memory.
>>
Playing MGS2 after MGS1 back in the day was so fucking mindblowing because of how improved everything was.

That was the last time the leap was so great.

MGS3 is probably the perfect balance of mechanics and narration (for Metal Gear standards at least).

1 looks like ass, and Twin Snakes is completely fucking stupid.
2 is awesome but many people were blueballed by not playing as Snake and internalized this anger and can't enjoy the game as a result.
4 makes you be old stinky grandpa snake and has more movie time than in game time
5 feels incomplete and purists miss "muh Hayter"

3 still the king
>>
File: 1458328276139.png (378 KB, 1646x1987) Image search: [Google]
1458328276139.png
378 KB, 1646x1987
MGS 3 is the only essential game. Play this first, and the the rest will boil down to preferences
> Do you want to expand your knowledge of the plot of the MGS franchise in the only game which plot doesn't go full retard?
MGS 1 is your game famallama
> Do you wish MGS 3 had better combat, more guns and being stealthy wasn't a chore?
Play MGS4
> Did you like MGS 4 or wish all of the above?
Play GZ and PP
> Do you wish the game was crippled by shitty controls, loading zones every 3 steps and some bullshit co-op mission design even in single player?
Try Peace Walker
> Do you enjoy snorting cum and post-ironic self aware meme videojuegos?
MGS2 is your game
>>
>>333033274
>playing MGS3 first
GTFO kid
>>
>>333032993
>it's suddenly mission-based
fits better for handheld gaming, where you are assumed to play in short bursts. I also personally dig the fact that you get to prepare in advance for the specific mision.

>there's base building/grinding
Kinda same as above. It also adds feeling of progress, plus who doesn't like building his own Outer Heaven?

>there's a stupid tiny loadout
You call THAT tiny? Heck, I welcomed the compact loadouts, because truth to be told, the games became piss-easy after MGS2 added the FP-mechanisms.

>camo is literally worthless
only after gaining Sneaking suit.

>bosses are rocket sponges with no interesting or challenging patterns
You didn't non-lethal stealth through the vehicles??
Also I loved getting to blow out some steam with my heavy weaponry on the AIs.

>there are QTEs in the cutscenes now and you have to restart the cutscene if you fail RE4 style
There's like what, one or two of such cutscenes in the whole game? Every other literally does not matter / only changes outcome of 1 map's starting point,

>And this is a personal thing, but I don't like the comic art cutscenes
you're right about that being a personal thing. I personally love them, and I seriously believe that the series would work far better with a more cartoony style, instead of this wannabe photorealistic looks MGS5 went for.
>>
>>333033274
>MGS4
>better combat
>no more lethal knife
>no more awesome CQC
>enemies are like dumb clone nanites and disappear when you kill them

MGS4 combat was ass. The new controls pissed me off too.
>>
>>333033274

While I agree with the rest of this post
>Play MGS3 first
Is a terrible idea if you plan on playing any of the others.
>>
File: 1453680712496.jpg (22 KB, 429x645) Image search: [Google]
1453680712496.jpg
22 KB, 429x645
>>333033434
> Playing shitty games first because MUH RELEASE ORDER
I bet you enjoyed MGS 2
Drink bleach faggot
>>
>>333033508
>playing great game before great game
It's the patrician way, kid cuck
>>
>>333030473
Yes, it is. You'll need PS3, PSP and PS4 to play all the games.

Play them in this order:
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes
Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Metal Gear Acid
Metal Gear Acid 2

V is a very good but disappointing game.
>>
File: 1458412838612.png (431 KB, 556x644) Image search: [Google]
1458412838612.png
431 KB, 556x644
>>333033549
> I unironically enjoyed MGS 2
>>
>>333033594

I enjoyed MGS2 but there's no way I'm playing it again.
>>
>>333033274
>recommending playing in anything else than release-order
InToTheTrash.bmp.

>>333033202
>1 looks like ass, and Twin Snakes is completely fucking stupid.
MGS1 looks damn great for a PS1 game, and only huge graphix fags complain about low-poly models. TS sucks, no doubt tho'.
>2 is awesome but many people were blueballed by not playing as Snake
Even back in 2001, I was quite underwhelmed by MGS2. The intro was cool and "next gen!!!" as fuck, but the whole Big Shell section (=2/3 of entire game) was just awfully designed, and not fun to play. It was clear that Kojima was not enjoying making this game.

>>333033563
>You'll need PS3, PSP and PS4 to play all the games.
You ONLY need PS3 to play ALL the main-series games. AC!D are not canon, and play totally different, and can be skipped.
>>
>>333033563
PO might be cool after he's played through everything a first time, but it/a PSP is in no way mandatory. Same with a PS4. He could have a PC, or if he were a real poorfag, he could just play the PS3 version.
>>
>>333033660
Yeah, but I listed PSP because of Portable Ops and Acids. They're worth a playthrough.
>>
>>333033660

>MGS1 looks damn great for a PS1 game
MGS1's colour palette is one of the blandest I've seen in a game well regarded for its graphics. The models are shit too, they don't even really have faces in a story based game.
>>
>>333033630
Then why would you force somebody to play it.
If you want to play 4 go read the Wikipedia entry on MGS2 before playing it so you understand what's going on, but playing it is not mandatory
>>
>>333033563
ACID and ACID2 honestly should be played after Solid 2 imo. It fits the "VR SHIT JUST GOT CRAZY" narrative better.

You also forgot about Ghost Babel, which I'd play after Solid 1.
>>
>>333033771
Ow, Ghost Babel. I totally forgot about this game and I remember that it was really fun.
>>
>>333033752

I think one playthrough is good. The impact of the events is much reduced if you just read a plot summary.

Also MGS2 > MGS4.
>>
>>333033630
MGS2 is top tier comfy.
>>
>people that didn't play ACID will never understand how badly Phantom Pain rips it off

Literally the same plot minus the language parasites.
>>
>>333033274
>playing MGS3 before the rest

I bet you eat your McFlurry before your tendies too, you fuck.
>>
You only need a PC, nothing more.

MGS4 is the only game that is unavailable on PC but you'll have a better time watching it on YouTube than playing. 4 hours of gameplay, 8 hours of cutscenes.
>>
>>333030473
The story is so far up its own ass, but fags think it is both irreverent and deep at the same time.
Kojima is and always was a hack who got lucky on his first games and then spent the rest of his career protesting his success by shitting on his fans. Blew the entire budget for his final game by paying for a horse to striptease while keifer Sutherland grunts.
Finally gets called out by konami and fired.
MGS is kill .
Konami is kill.
Don't bother, Phil fish was right, Japanese games all suck.
Fuck konami.
Thank god for Jim sterling.
>>
>>333033446
>fits better for handheld gaming, where you are assumed to play in short bursts.
PSP has a sleep function.
>Kinda same as above. It also adds feeling of progress,
MGS never needed a grindy resource micromanagement mechanic to give a sense of progression before.
>plus who doesn't like building his own Outer Heaven?
I didn't. I never wanted anything like that from a stealth-action game. Why the hell would I EVER want that? When in the first 20 years of Metal Gear did someone say "man, I sure wish I could grind in this game..."

>You call THAT tiny?
Three weapons and a handful of items? Yes.
The inherent problem with loadouts is that you don't know what's going on in the mission.
Which means you may have brought the wrong shit.
Which means you have to restart, or go in with sub-par equipment.
Loadouts are only advantageous on the replay, but even then, why not just let me have all my shit, like in the previous games?

I mean, it's not like PW had any kind of difficulty that that would hinder. It's literally the easiest game in the series.

>only after gaining Sneaking suit
No, it's completely worthless. The guards are so fucking stupid that you can wear anything at all.
Also, you only get one (1) camo per mission.
So on the first playthough, you don't know where you're gonna be. What kind of camo do you choose?
What about when the scenery changes? Your jungle camo is now worth dogshit inside the industrial building.

It's a fuckin' joke.

>There's like what, one or two of such cutscenes in the whole game
Fighting flashback Boss
Torture
Running from Peace Walker on the horse
Shooting Amanda's tether
I believe there's another QTE fight with some soldiers
And I feel like I'm forgetting some.
>>
>>333032623
That makes no sense, PO had the same problems to deal with yet the gameplay mirrored 3
>>
>>333034696
And it was shit as a result.
>>
>>333034441
I bought a ps2 on launch because of MGS2, waited a year or two before it came out only to find it had awful controls, a stupid story and more retarded cutscenes than gameplay. The intro was fucking awesome though.
>>
>>333030473
Wat
MGS V is a really good game, a masterpiece
Go play to this series right now
>>
>>333030473
Only memebois will tell you V is bad.
>>
File: 1443558856193.png (3 MB, 2048x1366) Image search: [Google]
1443558856193.png
3 MB, 2048x1366
MGSV isn't in any way worse than the previous games, I love it. It may also be because I only became hype for the game the week before release and didn't spend months claiming that it would be the second coming of Christ.

You only got yourselfs to blame if you thought this game was bad after months of hyping.
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 314x468) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 314x468
>>333030473
start with the port of the ps1 mgs. if you like the narrative, play 2 next. if you can keep up with most of the mindfuckery, play 4 after. 3 gives perspective to big boss, a guy mentioned throughout the series, as does peace walker to a lesser extent, but the "crescendo" of this dude's arc in mgsv is underwhelming and likely disappointing to a newcomer shotgunning the games, so you may want to pass them up.

1, 2 and 4 are centered on solid snake, a guy who never asked for this but always got shit done anyway despite incredible odds.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.