[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the MMORPG as a genre dead? What could save it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (266 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
266 KB, 1920x1080
Is the MMORPG as a genre dead?

What could save it?
>>
World Of Warcraft 2.
>>
>>333013735
It never died. it was always dead.
>>
culture changed, no longer viable.
>>
It'll be saved if you post more of the girl in the middle
>>
>>333014775
explain
>>
>>333013735

>Is the MMORPG as a genre dead?
No. Its still pulling in millions of suckers a year. Its doing better now than it was during the 'golden years' of 1998-2008.

People just expect all MMOs to do as well as WoW did at its prime. Which was never realistic. If MMO developers wouldscale back their ludicrous expectations, they'd see that MMOs are doing better than they should be.

>What could save it?
It doesn't need saving. In fact, it needs to die. As what would be needed to improve the genre to what it should be is beyond our current capabilities. For an MMO to be as good as it should be, it would basically need to be 6 games in one. It would be like trying to make Final Fantasy X, Red Dead Redemption, Pokemon, EVE, League of Legends and Doom. All at the same time, as one combined game.
>>
>>333013735
Get rid of theme parks
Get rid of instancing
>>
instancing and filler quests (fetch quests) are what put me off.

If you gave me a truly open ended MMO i'd be interested. The journey to getting a max level or making enough money to buy the best thing in a game is always satisfying.

it's the path there that nobody can seem to get right.
>>
>>333014014
This. Rift was pretty good, but sadly it came out at a time where WoW was still the best.
>>
>>333014872
I like MMO's

they may be doing well financially but these Korean mmo's that are coming out just don't grab me.

WOW, Ultima, Everquest, FFXI, fuck..even RUNESCAPE had engaging worlds you gave a fuck about.

some big tittied whore speaking broken english asking you to to get 5 robo squirrel pelt isn't fun.
>>
>>333015942

>had
That's the key word. Most of the MMOs you named threw away free roaming exploration and engaging quests when World of Warcraft started focusing more on set quests and raiding. And most MMOs coming out now are nothing but PvE with end game raids. So generic, you don't even need to read the NPC dialogue. Just follow the arrows.
>>
File: 1da.jpg (11 KB, 411x369) Image search: [Google]
1da.jpg
11 KB, 411x369
>>333016376
then what's stopping devs going back to that? WoW is on the downturn, userbase constantly falling.

If someone made an mmo like how the used to be made with actual care put into worldbuilding people would play.

Could you imagine Runescape with it's incredible writing, humour and quest lines with 2016 tech and budget? there's a reason it's remembered so fondly.

it'd do gangbusters
>>
File: Dragon Quest X-100112.jpg (179 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest X-100112.jpg
179 KB, 1920x1080
>>333016894

>then what's stopping devs going back to that? WoW is on the downturn, userbase constantly falling.
You'll have to ask MMO developers. I was wondering this back when Old Republic came out. Let alone FFXIV and Elder Scrolls. When are MMO developers going to realize that focusing on linear PvE quests goes against what an MMO is all about?

If someone made an mmo like how the used to be made with actual care put into worldbuilding people would play.
They did. Dragon Quest X is basically the best of Final Fantasy Xi and Ultima Online put into a modern MMO. And that's why we won't be able to play it outside Japan.
>>
>>333014775

this

I don't think a good MMORPG is possible in 2016
>>
>>333014778
>>
>>333013735
Nah chink and gook still eat those shit. That 1 bil consumers right there they dont need western market.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.