[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do you rank WoW on Greatest Games of ALl Time List?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: wow.png (58 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
58 KB, 200x200
played this shit like 7 years ago and I still remember it vividly. Not too many games have that done that
>>
WoW will go down in history for making MMOs 'popular' and whether you think that is a good or bad thing will determine how much you care.
Most people here are either nostalgic or habor deep hatred for ever wasting that much time doing something so repetitive.
>>
I don't know man but I'm sure it is amongst my top 10, I had so much fun with it, Warsong Gulch was so good, such nice memories.
>>
>>333012291
>>333012064

Exactly this.

It's a great game, but it's kind of only still great because it got it's foot in the MMO door first and had time to snatch up a player base before everyone else realised MMO's could make money.
>>
File: chris-metzen.jpg (9 KB, 260x201) Image search: [Google]
chris-metzen.jpg
9 KB, 260x201
>>333012064

WoW ruined my life. Literally ruined my life.

I hope it's current dev team and community of sub human trash dies a slow death.

I'm not kidding inb4 edgy
>>
>>333012535
>Wow
>first mmo

waa
there were literally 100s of MMOs before wow. Wow pretty much killed and reinvented the genre
>>
>>333012689
Im with you
I fucking hate blizzarddrones the most
Its like they dont play games other than activision shit
>>
the defining entry in its genre
surely deserves a reasonably high place
>>
>>333012064
#1. It revolutionized MMORPGs. Even after several WoW-Killers appeared, they still had only 1/16th of the content available.
>>
File: 1458169840611.gif (725 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1458169840611.gif
725 KB, 200x150
>>333012064

WoW is a really fun game that had a really terrible expansion that killed it.

Draenor is so riddled with unforgivable MMORPG sins it's a wonder that WoW isn't dead yet, but it's almost there. It did irreparable damage.
>>
>>333012689
Explain. How is it not your own fault your life is ruined?
>>
>>333012934
It's 100% his fault. I will admit, my social life hit rock bottom due to my addiction, but it was a choice that I made.
>>
File: wow.png (2 MB, 1960x720) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
2 MB, 1960x720
>>333012813

I played WoW since vanilla on and off, literally 10 years or so my accounts age is.

Everything went downhill with the activision merger and Diablo III/Starcraft II/Cataclysm.

>>333012934

I didn't mean like literally ruined my life. More like I just feel the company doesn't care about its fans anymore and favors people who will just defend everything they do and the terrible community.

I actually care when I see blizzard fucking up so badly and remembering how much fun I had with Diablo 1-2 and Warcraft 3 mods + WoW early days.
>>
>>333012689
It's not their fault that you're a faggot with no self control. Onion rings and fried dough don't ruin fat people's lives either.
>>
File: 1450678574265.gif (53 KB, 828x472) Image search: [Google]
1450678574265.gif
53 KB, 828x472
>>333013160
>Everything went downhill with the activision merger

why didnt you quit when they merged

oh wait
its THEIR fault
not yours
>>
File: 1450178627567.jpg (104 KB, 706x1000) Image search: [Google]
1450178627567.jpg
104 KB, 706x1000
>>333013269

>he is defending blizzard/activision

why are you doing this?
>>
Some great memories from back then (vanilla/tbc).
Nowdays it's trash, if they would go f2p they could at least entertain some 3rd worlders with it, so they don't have to ruin my nostalgic experience on private servers
>>
File: 1446298160811.gif (83 KB, 130x150) Image search: [Google]
1446298160811.gif
83 KB, 130x150
>>333012064
Recently I've been considering playing WoW again. I quit in patch 3.2, not long after Activision bought Blizzard. I found that the game had lost its lustre and the lack of community due to dungeon finder. I've really been wanting to play a game that has fun PvP, I've played Black Desert which has PvP that revolves around how much money you have to just spam potions every 3 seconds, FFXIV was fucking terrible for PvP, waiting 2 hours for a game.

I keep hearing how this game is going bust and people hating it so much. Has the PvP aspect really been affected? Are these new PvP oriented skill trees going to add a layer of enjoyment to PvP?
>>
>>333013469

>Recently I've been considering playing WoW again

Wait until Legion. DO NOT buy into WoD at all anon.
>>
File: 1451274550370.jpg (144 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1451274550370.jpg
144 KB, 550x550
>>333013386
because the monster behind my closet is the boogeyman and not blizz/activision
>>
>>333012535
There was mmos in 90's before warcraft 1 was even in work table
>>
>>333012064
5-7

number 1 in mmo category.
>>
>>333013581
I had a couple level 80 characters, but I would start new characters since I have no idea how to use those classes. The game is expected to come out in September, would it not be worth it to spend some time to level up and make some gold? Back when I played, I would farm The Ramparts for hours on end to get gold. Is it difficult to make money in the game still?
>>
>>333013581
WoD is no joke, the absolute worst game I've ever played. It's trash on essentially every level. The fucking audacity that Blizzard has at even considering something like the garrison again in Legion just shows me how far they've fallen. Class halls will be a fucking disaster, mark my words.

>players want player housing
>"we're blizzard, we can do better than that!"
>garrisons unveiled at blizzcon
>seems like a godsend
>can put them where you want, build shit where you want, and hire followers for specific actions!
>awesome!
>none of that actually happens
>real garrison is just a fucking nightmare of mobile gaming-tier shit
>legion is announced
>players want real player housing
>"we're blizzard, we can do better than that!"
>class order halls are unveiled
>literally just fucking garrisons that you share with other people as if that's gonna fix the problem

JUST ADD PLAYER HOUSING LIKE RIFT, WILDSTAR, or BDO! THAT'S FUCKING IT! THAT'S ALL PEOPLE WANT! STOP TRYING TO FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN!
>>
>>333014191
You sound like someone who has been playing the game for awhile, do you know to what length they are going to alter the playstyles of each class? I saw online that people are getting angry with Blizzard because they are pruning the classes, hence the hashtag. For someone that is considering Legion, would playing on an up to date private server give me a good indication about the changes to each class? last time I played was WotLK.
>>
If you played it during its prime it will sit well in your held. This is mainly due to its emphasis on social aspects which forced people to interact and its inviting zones and terrific music.

From a purely gameplay perspective however Vanilla was trash.
>>
>>333014464
First of all, how do I sound like that? I'm just angry at Blizzard. Second of all, I actually have been playing since 2005 so good guess. Third, they're altering the playstyles in the worst way and the best way simultaneously. It's good because they're giving overhauls to certain specs and playstyles that have long since needed it. Survival Hunter is becoming a melee pet spec, all Rogue specs are getting new identities with new ways to play, all the healing classes are getting more diverse spells, and the tanking classes are diversifying a bit too. These are all good things.

The bad shit is that while they're doing this they're pruning flavor spells and reducing core rotations down to like 3-4 skills with a couple of cooldowns and situational moves, essentially while every class has a different flavor now with slightly different ways to play, they've also lost their depth. Remember how long it took to efficiently learn to play some classes in TBC/Wrath? Now you can learn to play that shit in an afternoon because everything is so gutted. It leads to boring gameplay that makes you just want to take a break after an hour of playing. It's almost MOBA tier simplistic.

Finally, in addition to all that shit classes are now also less unique than ever. "How could this be?", you ask, "Didn't you just say all classes were getting different flavors and skills?". Yes, but they all do the same thing now. There's no more, "we need a hunter to kite Drakkisath." or, "we need a priest to mind control these mobs.", or "we need a mage to spellsteal this buff.". Every class can essentially do everything meaning you'll never feel special, needed, or important. Just play whatever does the most damage, tanks the best, or heals the most efficiently and you're good to go.

And to address your last question. No, playing a private server would not give you a good indication. Just wait for retail release.
>>
>>333014641
The peak of gameplay was in Wrath despite it's cancerous additions to the game that grew out of control in later expansions.
>>
>>333012064
I'm thinking about logging into nostalrius again right now desu

Haven't played in like 6 months, suddenly getting the urge again
>>
Regardless of how it is now and how some expansions weren't that great, it is still a top 5 game for me. I spent years playing, and I don't regret a second of it.
>>
File: 1398102282150.jpg (95 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1398102282150.jpg
95 KB, 600x450
>>333012064
I've spent a cumulative total time of one and a half years in Azeroth over the past 11 years. I'd rank it pretty high on an All Time List for the community I associated with and the systems I gave repeated interaction to. It's not flawless, but it works well for the most part.
>>
>>333016671

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR20QH5UHoM
>>
heroic raiding in firelands was extremely fun. i would say game 8 or 9.
>>
The game will never feel as good as it did in Vanilla/BC, or even Wrath. However, it's still the best MMO available. The genre is dead. Move on or get buried.
>>
>>333012064

WoW was the mmo I always wanted to like but was too shallow to ever make me like it. Back in vanilla it almost had me but failed to deliver on the leveling experience and got even worse in later expansions.

Somehow a half of a game like SWG managed to actually push the genre more than WoW ever did.
>>
>>333022907
this. the only hope for MMO´s was titan and blizzard aborted it before it´s birth. there´s no fucking way that some korean grindfest with pvp-only content will revive it.
>>
>>333012064
Top tier without a doubt, and former players that hate on it deep down inside still love it.
>>
>decide to try wow for the first time
>buy the $15 starter pack or whatever with 1 'free' month
>kind of fun for the first 30 hours
>enjoying the scenery, music and art style
>try reading all the quests and actually pay attention to the story instead of mindlessly grinding
>hit level 50
>starts getting boring as fuck and tedious
>force myself to continue questing and doing dungeons
>hit lvl 80 after 50-60 hours of playtime
>bored to death at this point
>quit
I've enjoyed some of the zones and quests, but overall I don't really see why people get so addicted to this game.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.