[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game came out when I was 12, and I loved it and have always
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10
This game came out when I was 12, and I loved it and have always regarded with with extreme reverence. While I recognize now that it probably isn't "The best game in the history of the universe", it is damned amazing, and I finally realized why...

Over the weekend, I played it again for the umpteenth time. Usually take it slow, explore every nook and cranny, do most sidequests, but this time I decided to just make a beeline for Ganon. It was in this mad sprint for victory that I realized how wonderfully crafted this game truly is. If you want to, you can speed through, hopping from dungeon to dungeon, only doing the bare minimum, and this game doesn't hinder you in the least. All of the extra content falls away, and you get a streamlined, straightforward dungeon crawl that constantly keeps you invested. If you decide you want to do everything, talk to every NPC, complete every optional quest, you're rewarded well for your efforts, and you can easily double or triple your play time.

A modern Zelda game would hold you back relentlessly. Try to sprint through them, and unless you know a trick or glitch, you'll be bogged down in mandatory fetch quests, padding and hand-holding. Ocarina of Time mastered the balance of fulfilling different play styles 16 years ago, all while writing the book on 3-D adventure gaming, practically from scratch.

I know this game has its naysayers, but it didn't earn all of its praise for nothing. Every aspect may not be the best it could be, but the game has no real flaws. It kind of is a masterpiece.
>>
Are you a wizard?
>>
>>333009726
Amen brother
>>
>>333009726
Very well said. In fact, I'll have to try this the next time I play.
>>
>>333009726
Couldn't be more true OP
>>
>>333009726
I liked a link to the past better
>>
>>333009726

A Modern Zelda would force you to do dungeons in order. Not to mention hours of cutscenes and pointless dialogue in between each dungeon. While Ocarina introduced cutscenes, it also doesn't make you watch all of them if you know what to do already. And even in the beginning of the game, where you can't skip the Deku Tree/Own stuff, its still only 5 minutes long.

While in a game like Twilight Princess, you're forced to watch 2+ hours of junk before even being able to leave the starting village. And it only gets worse from there.
>>
>>333009726
Fucking priceless post. OoT will always be king. I'm glad they're finally putting the formula to rest with the next Zelda game. The clones have been far too plentiful and I'm ready for another take on Zelda. Ocarina of Time is one of the few games done so well it can really boast a universal appeal and solid experience with depth, charm, and polish.
>>
>>333009726
So sayeth the soothsayer.
>>
OoT came out when I was 12 as well, and all it did for me was make me believe Zelda doesn't work in 3D. I just didn't like it.

It's an OK game, but I don't think any of the 3D games hold a candle to the early 2D games.
>>
File: 1stquest.png (161 KB, 796x598) Image search: [Google]
1stquest.png
161 KB, 796x598
>>333009726
Mostly true OP
OOT is definitely the best of the 3d Zelda
LOZ, LTTP, and Link's Awakening are superior games compared to it though.
>>
File: 1389041647128.png (2 KB, 217x219) Image search: [Google]
1389041647128.png
2 KB, 217x219
>>333009726

To me, I'm consistently amazed each time I play it at how well it controls. Everything is so responsive and fluid feeling. Backflipping, side dashing, lunging forward with the sword, running, walking, rolling, you name it. It simply is so impressive considering the time period in which it came out.

If nothing else, you can't deny this game's impact on early 3D video games.

Combine this with a stellar soundtrack, memorable characters, graphics that are still passable today, and some pretty decent boss battles and you have yourself a gem.

Idgaf what /v/ says. They can suck that game grump faggots dick all they want, game will forever at least be in my top 10.
>>
>>333016904

Here's you're (You)
>>
>>333016904
go to watch Egoraptor, you have to be at least 18yo to be here....
>>
>>333016904
>>333017140
What do you find better about the 2d Zelda's? I played Link's Awakening first, loved it, but still vastly prefer OOT.
>>
>>333017383
>>333017390

Fucking stop taking the bait retards.
>>
>>333016904
>OoT3D came out when I was 12 as well
ftfy
>>
>>333017498
Do you really think that there's nobody that enjoys the 2d Zelda's better than the 3d?

Sure, they might just be stubborn or biased, but that doesn't mean they don't think it.
>>
File: 09384328432.jpg (24 KB, 370x269) Image search: [Google]
09384328432.jpg
24 KB, 370x269
OOT was my favorite game of all time....

Until I played Majora's Fucking Mask on the Gamecube. Best game I've ever played hands down. That game had side quests out the asshole.
>>
File: vacdog.gif (712 KB, 490x276) Image search: [Google]
vacdog.gif
712 KB, 490x276
>>333017390
Mostly the top down layout is great for fighting and puzzles. Also the story more simplistic and straight forward instead of loaded with unskippable cutscenes.
I also really hate kid link. But that's not why I find OOT an inferior game
>>
i think the best part about this game is that it expresses the idealized halcyon times of childhood versus the fucked up gloom of adulthood
>>
>>333017383
I'm 30.

>>333017568
OoT3D came out when I was 25.

>>333017390
The 2D Zeldas have stronger combat and are more open than the 3D Zeldas. I also don't like how items in 3D Zeldas tend to just be glorified keys instead of viable combat options that you feel like using in addition to or in place of the sword.

No 3D Zelda has combat as deep or as satisfying as Zelda II. No 3D Zelda is as open-ended as The Legend of Zelda.
>>
>>333009726
and you can speedrun it for another entirely different playstyle :)
>>
File: 1458724696049.jpg (69 KB, 1178x882) Image search: [Google]
1458724696049.jpg
69 KB, 1178x882
>>333009726
damn nigga
>>
File: zoras.png (157 KB, 299x639) Image search: [Google]
zoras.png
157 KB, 299x639
I also really hate how they Disney-fied characters in OOT and onward. Kid Link, Dekus, Gorons, and especially Zoras.
When I think of Zelda I am thinking of teenage/adult link, fireball spitting zoras, octarocs, dark nuts, moblins, those ratmen that threw boomerangs, lizardmen with axes, etc.
>>
File: 1437099298549.jpg (29 KB, 500x318) Image search: [Google]
1437099298549.jpg
29 KB, 500x318
>>333009726
I love how all these people are surprised by a well made post. Shows how low 4chan has become these past few years. I will say I gave up playing the game at the age of 12 because I had no idea how to get out of Kokiri Forest or whatever it's called. Currently playing the game now and hoping to beat it this time
>>
File: 60566_front.jpg (73 KB, 640x912) Image search: [Google]
60566_front.jpg
73 KB, 640x912
This is still the best Zelda game ever made.

I have an OoT and MM gold cart from reserving them as a kid. I still have my NES copies of Zelda 1 and Adventures of Link. Fuck all your shits.
>>
OP is right to point out how OoT is one of the last Zelda games to not force you away from the game to do pointless shit (handful of cutscenes aside). It's as if EAD lost that notion that these games were meant to be open-ended adventures instead of heavily-scripted highlight reels.
>>
>>333019074
>>333019074
>>333019074
nice b8
>>
>>333019074
I liked Twilight Princess but the 2nd half of the game felt very empty and barebones (read: unfinished).
Pretty gud zelda but I am not interested in playing it again, waggling my wiimote around for hours till my wrists hurt.
>>
>>333009726
>I know this game has its naysayers, but it didn't earn all of its praise for nothing.

Those are all hipster contrarians that say OoT sucks/isn't that great just to be different.
>>
>>333009726
play master quest you scrub
>>
>>333017820
my nigga
>>
The thing I really like about OoT is the pacing. The only reason it didn't age well is because nowadays people want to take a game and follow a straight line to the end without being interrupted.

Being a kid and playing OoT was fucking amazing for the same reasons playing Spyro or Banjo-Kazooie was amazing. You were given a world to explore, moves to help you explore it in different ways and a lot of shit to find/collect. It's as simple as that.
>>
So funny to see the OoT plebs playing in the mud.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.