[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
3DS Suggestions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
I'm new to the 3DS and I'm looking for a good RPG or action game. I took a look at Xenoblade and it looked... iffy on that combat system.

I'm debating PersonaQ (never played a Persona or Etrian game ever) or Bravely Default. Anything else I should be looking at?

(I have MH4, Pokemon X, and Fire Emblem Birthright)
>>
Play Persona 3 and 4 before Q if possible. And keep in mind that Q plays like an Etrian game, not a Persona game.

I'd suggest Devil Survivor 1-2, Project X Zone 2, Mercenaries Saga 2 and Stella Glow if you like srpgs.

Also SMTIV.
>>
>>333000521
I've heard SMT referred to as like, pokemon for adults. Never heard of Devil Survivor. What are those about?
>>
>>333001080
Persona isn't SMT
Persona is basically teenagers aquire powers and fight evil while also living the student life.
Emulate persona 3
>>
>>333001525
Make sure it's the FES version too
>>
>>333001080
SMT games involve characters recruiting demons to fight alongside them. The monster collecting element is the only real similarity. The games don't feel like Pokemon at all.

Persona and Devil Survivor are both offshoots of the SMT series. The Devil Survivor games are srpgs, which means they play like Final Fantasy Tactics.
>>
>>333001720
>which means they play like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Sort of like FFT.
The fight between units (One human, up to two demons) look more akin to older Dragon Quest games, opposed to the unit-attacking-unit from FFT.
>>
So I looked up SMT. Not very story heavy? Very based around monster fusing?

Looking up Devil Survivor game now, thanks for the input guys.
>>
Xenoblade's combat is more in depth than it looks at a glance. I'd give the game a try before writing it off.
>>
>>333002025
Yeah I recognize that it's got depth it just doesn't look fun
>>
>>333001996

If you want an SMT with more of a story, Devil Survivor Overclocked is the way to go. Its presentation is rather basic (2D portraits with a handful of expressions talking in front of a static background), but it goes into great detail on societal breakdown, offering multiple endgame routes with varying party members and story solutions to the problem.
>>
>>333001946
>strategy rpg where you move units over an isometric grid map to engage other units in turn-based combat

The fact that it switches to a first person battle perspective instead of just displaying your actions on the map view is purely a visual element. The gameplay is standard srpg.
>>
>>333002361
Sold.
>>
Bravely Default
>>
>>333001996
The main SMT games are story based. Not sure what source told you otherwise. The offshoots are also all story heavy.

Fusion is important to get stronger, but it's not like it's not the majority of the gameplay.
>>
>>333002520
Forgive me, I'm just used to standard SRPGs being more unit-based than team-based.
>>
>>333002894
So it looks like Devil Survivor is a very different KIND of game. And PersonaQ as well. I was intrigued by the dungeon mapping thing but I got put off by the really cheesy anime stuff.
>>333002735
I've been looking for the hard copy because my DS card is tiny and I like hard copies on this thing... I may just have to order than one off Amazon. (Is the sequel supposed to be good? I thought I heard raving about it here earlier)
>>
OP again, not sure if this changes anything, but my main turnoff from Fire Emblem Birthright is that it's very grindy. I've heard Conquest fixes this and is also harder because of that so I may look into that later as well, but I'm wondering if that changes anything.
>>
>>333003137
Yes, all of the SMT series are different.

-Main Megami Tensei/Shin Megami Tensei games: Traditional JRPGs with dungeon crawling

-Devil SUMMONER games: These are the most similar to the main games. Mostly the same but with deeper gameplay mechanics.

-Devil SURVIVOR games: These are similar in gameplay to Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre

-Persona 1-2: Traditional JRPGs with an overworld map and dungeon crawling, heavier on plot and character development, tweaked combat featuring a grid system

Persona 3-4: Traditional JRPGs with heavier dungeon crawling and social/dating sim elements, probably the heaviest on character development

Persona Q: Pure dungeon crawler/map drawing gameplay
>>
>>333004052
Forgot to mention that all of them feature the demon training/fusing elements.
>>
>>333004052
I really like the FFTactics style RPG over the line up and thwack each other (I know I know Bravely Default is like that but it's gotten great reviews)
>>
>>332999814
Hi I didn't read your post but I suggest playing with your 3DS while you're on the toilet, I hope this suggestion helps improve your life xoxoxo
>>
>>333004052
So, are all the stories related? Like, same universe?
>>333004617
That's what my phone is for xoxoxo
>>
>>333004409
>I really like the FFTactics style RPG

Then Devil Survivor is definately the one to get.

Plus Stella Glow, Project X Zone, and Mercenaries Saga 2.
>>
>>333003358
Fire Emblem games aren't grindy. You can play from stage to stage just fine but you do have the option of replaying maps for exp, a feature that is not very common in the series. If you go full eugenics then yeah, there'll be grinding.

Someone correct me if this is wrong though. I've yet to play fates and awakening bored me to the point of dropping it halfway through.
>>
>>333004715
No, the different series aren't connected.

Only games within any one series are connected, and even then, not always.
>>
>>333004809
>full eugenics
This is the way I was told you must play it though. :|

>>333005014
Ah okay. So if I love Devil Survivor which it sounds like I might, I'll only really know meta story about the Devil Survivor 2?
>>
>>333005309
>Ah okay. So if I love Devil Survivor which it sounds like I might, I'll only really know meta story about the Devil Survivor 2?

Actually, not only are Devil Survivor 1 and 2 not connected to the other various series, they also aren't connected to each other. Both are standalone games, plotwise.
>>
>>333005785
Even like, the world and meta plot?
>>
>>333006098
Basically, yes.

The setting in both is "modern day Tokyo," but it's still essentially in two different universes, because DS2 ignores the catastrophic events of DS1.
>>
>>332999814
PersonQ is a fanservice game, it shouldn't even be on your radar if you haven't played the others.
>>
>>333006621
Oh... alrighty.

This is all new shit to me. I'm a fairly niche PC gamer aside from this new 3DS.
>>
>>332999814
>xenoblade combat looks iffy
fuck you OP, it's really fun
it might look boring at first, but actually playing it is great
>>
>>333006785
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6G10xla0Dk
>>
File: Lvo1gzjph7qd81tpvm26.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Lvo1gzjph7qd81tpvm26.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
Alright thread appears to have died. Thanks for all the help guys! I'm going with the SMT Devil Survivor Stuffs for sure right now. Stay classy /v/
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.