[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't do it /v/ I tried several times, but I can't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: ffxv.jpg (521 KB, 1907x1080) Image search: [Google]
ffxv.jpg
521 KB, 1907x1080
I can't do it /v/

I tried several times, but I can't enjoy the fight in the demo in any way. The correct way of beating him is tedious and boring as shit, and all the cool shit you can do is horribly janky and unresponsive as shit (and it gets punished anyway).

crushed hype general.
>>
File: 1459591042597.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459591042597.jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
>>332946490
the "hold button to dodge or attack" is retarded.
doesn't help at all that noctis dodges in a random direction when you use it, so you can never feel in control during battle
>enemy is about to strike
>weak enemy to the left of him
>I'll try to dodge the first attack while dodging left, that will let m-NO NOCTIS WHY ARE YOU JUMPING BACKWARDS YOU IDIOT
>>
it's bad. we've been over this.
>>
>>332946490
Yup

It's bad, disappointed.
>>
File: 1448913673979.gif (2 MB, 245x295) Image search: [Google]
1448913673979.gif
2 MB, 245x295
I gave them the benefit of the doubt since Episode Duscae was so long ago, and the recent ATR's got me extremely excited and hyped for the game again

then this demo dropped . . .
>>
I like it.
>>
>>332946490
What the fuck are you on about? Did we even play the same demo? The action oriented combat system is the best I have seen in an RPG. Have you even tried warping casual pleb?
>>
Just try to grateful they even released a demo.
>>
>>332949840
the worst part is people like this guy actually exist, so we'll never get an enjoyable game from Square ever again
>>
File: 1458097043328.png (494 KB, 549x718) Image search: [Google]
1458097043328.png
494 KB, 549x718
>>332946490
I made a list of changes that they need and it wouldn't really be that hard to fix it
1 holding circle should start a heavy attack
2 L2 and rR2 should be used for ranged magic and guns
that's pretty much all they need to do ti fix it assuming L1 and R1 will be used to control abilities
>>
>>332950048
they never made good combat systems
>>
>>332950875
Fuck you, The Bouncer and X2 were the best.
>>
>>332946490

I don't know if it was just the demo, but the fighting felt way too simplistic. No choosing special attacks, automatic dodges, only one weapon at a time. It feels weird compared to Duscae.
>>
>>332951421
But there are special attacks and you can switch between four weapons at will.
>>
>>332951164
no it wasn't most turn based combat systems in jrpgs were never good just play a few strategy games and see the difference
>>
>>332951556

Its different though. The weapons switch automatically in Duscae depending on how you pressed the button. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't press triangle once throughout the whole demo to use any special abilities. I also dislike the grenade style magic. I'll get used to it, its just really jarring to go from Duscae's combat to this style of fighting.
>>
>>332951796
You activate special attacks with directional inputs now. Tilting the stick down and holding O while using the greatsword activates the twister ability, and tapping and then holding O activates a charged attack.
>>
>>332951995
why didn't they say so in the demo?
There were explanations for everything else on screen 100% of the time in the demo, but they didn't bother telling you that detail?
>>
>>332952354
There's plenty they don't tell you. Did you find the shield and ninja stars?
>>
>>332952439
Yeah. I didn't like them very much.
>>
>>332946490
I think one of the main reason the demo feels so jank (aside from issues with the controls themselves like input lag and holding the attack/dodge buttons WHY DO THEY THINK THIS IS A GOOD IDEA SERIOUSLY) is because the Iron Giant isn't really a good enemy to showcase combat. It's big, slow and it doesn't have many attacks.The demo also doesn't explain things like directional attacks and the warping with the sword and shuriken. Not having other party members certainly didn't help either.
>>
>>332953065
>Not having other party members certainly didn't help either.
It helped the performance, that's for sure.
>>
>>332951631
The Bouncer isn't an rpg.

Also anyone who is calling the combat bad is actually genuinely stupid and are safe to ignore. It's obvious they're incapable of understanding anything more than hold circle or hold square because that's all they parrot. They aren't capable of actually experimenting and discovering things as people have shown exist.
>>
>>332954031
>It's obvious they're incapable of understanding anything more than hold circle or hold square because that's all they parrot.
Well that's all the game really tells you, so I don't blame them for thinking that.
>>
Didn't they already release a huge demo? What is the point of this demo?

Is it just more updated gameplay?
>>
>>332954173
>Well that's all the game really tells you, so I don't blame them for thinking that.

If the game needs to hold their hand and explain every last little thing then they're the very casual shitters that they complain about, which makes it hilarious that they'd complain about the depth.
>>
>>332954186
It's kind of a tech demo since you can manipulate the weather and time of day and there's also some gameplay too.

>>332954376
It shouldn't explain every last thing but it should at least mention things like directional attacks. Explaining basic gameplay mechanics isn't holding the player's hand.
>>
>Final Fantasy
>good gameplay
how could any of you retards think this would work out?
>>
>>332954186
Yeah, the combat is different and you're fighting a new kind of enemy.
>>
>>332946490
>The correct way of beating him

wat
>>
because this game is for girls anon
stop playing shitty girl games
>>
>>332955219
holding down attack, then holding down dodge
>>
>>332954841
They did pretty good up till 9 and 11, 12, and 14.
>>
File: FFXV Platinum Demo Combat.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
FFXV Platinum Demo Combat.webm
3 MB, 640x360
There is no correct or incorrect way. What are you talking about?

The combat isn't as basic as I thought it was. If you fiddle around, you can pull off some pretty neat shit. Just don't go expecting something as deep as DMC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEYvFS7w3KE&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzbNCiVzzYw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8UqiPl5laU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYanAX2AlVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcQLsRRMLQE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxSwEL7SPo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1YiVWlRi9E
Sword -
Circle: Combo
Circle + Up: Stab
Circle + Down: Backflip strike
Circle + Left: Left spin strike
Circle + Right: Right spin strike
Air Circle: Combo
Air Combo + Directionals: Dodge (resets combo)
Air + Down: Downwards strike
Triangle: Warp strike

Greatsword -
Circle + Up: Forward charge
Circle + Down: Spin strike
Circle + Left: -
Circle + Right: -
: Charge up strike

Shuriken -
Circle: Combo (hold=fast combo, tap=slow combo)
Circle + Up: -
Circle + Down: Early combo finisher
Circle + Right: -
Air + Circle: Combo
Air Combo + Directionals: Dodge (resets combo)
Traingle: Warp strike (multiple hits)

Shield -
Circle + Up: Forward charge
Circle + Down: Slow spin strike
Circle + Right -
Circle, pause, hold circle (Circle, back step, hold circle): Forward charge (works mid range)
Square (hold): Keep shield up, take less damage
Square (at impact of attack): stuns enemy shortly, prevents taking damage
>>
>>332950875
Even FF13LR had a great combat system
>>
>>332955456
XV kun... fuck off with the pasta
>>
>>332946490
I thought it was pretty neat.. given it took a bit to get used to the auto attack. I really like the battle with the Iron Giant. Being able to throw your sword and teleport to the light poles was pretty cool in order to dodge his gravity ball. Plus that one part where you parryed him was neat too but I couldn't do it after the one time it assisted you. Wasn't sure if that'll be a bigger part in the main game.

I've been hearing lots of people say its clanky/janky whatever but that was only true for me when you were trying to fight mobs and your character would jolt from one mob to the next. I would think though that it's mainly because you're playing solo, whereas in the main game your CPU allies will be with you so it's not just you vs a shit load of enemies.

Still pretty hype. If you stop being a critique lord and actually play for fun you might actually have fun.

I'd preorder but the PS4 theme is shit. I fucking hate that artwork.

Also, anyone find the song that plays in the beginning forest area? Shit was good.
>>
>>332955838
Eat your dinner you sack of shit
>>
>>332955456
what the fuck are these cartoony fireworks effects at the end? and why do you transform into a kid.
>>
>>332955981

so basically all the shitposters really haven't even played it

kek
>>
>>332956227
Duh. /v/ is KEK central
>>
>>332956227
no i haven't. it's why i'm asking about these ridiculous stupid effects.
>>
>>332956770
The demo takes place in the dream of a young Noctis, and those effects are used throughout. You only turn into adult Noctis for this fight.
>>
>>332955456
Ok this does look real nice outside of the shiruken sound effect (what the fuck really)
Any ideas why some peoples are saying it's unresponsive?
>>
>>332957106
Because there is obvious room for improvement with the controls. It's perfectly playable, but it could be better and some people are sensitive to that.
>>
File: 1457022688296.png (381 KB, 515x499) Image search: [Google]
1457022688296.png
381 KB, 515x499
>>332955963
>>
>>332957106
because those people have played games where the characters are quick to respond to the player's input, which feels really good.
This demo on the other hand, feels really slow. You press a button or tilt the stick anywhere during a fight, and it takes ages before your character is doing what you wanted.
This is partly due to input lag and also due to the game having overly long startup animations and recovery animations (to use fighting game terms).
They look cool and flashy, but the player is spamming the dodge button while they play out, and if Noctis gets hit, it doesn't feel good since he was too slow to move with the players inputs

This is very basic shit which almost all action games do. You rarely even think about it nowedays, but it's genious game design. Fucking wish FFXV felt good.
>>
>>332946490
I felt like if they just changed dodging to be timed i-frame rolls, it would've been fun
>>
>>332958206
I see, thanks. Maybe they'll fix it..

I'm incredibly sensitive to input lag (can't play Uncharted because of it despite everyone saying it's okay) so this is a huge bummer, I'm fine with long start and finish animations however.

Square pls
>>
>>332958573
It's much more due to startup animations than input lag, so you might be fine with it.
>>
File: sakurai.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sakurai.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>332958573
oh my god I was thinking what the FFXV demo reminded me so much about but now that you mention it, fuck damn it's literally Uncharted
>looks flashy as fuck
>slow and unresponsive controls
>enemies that run around at incredible speed, makeing it difficult to hit them, but they are easy as fuck
>do anything the developers didn't consider, you mess up completely

That said, for FFXV's case it is probably more due to the animations being too long that it feels sluggish. The witcher 3 had the same problem where the developers were proud of their cool animations (not holding that against any developer, ever), but they didn't let the players cancel them, so Geralt would move around and take a whole second to stop running because his stopping animaiton required 1 second. Thankfully they patched in an option for more responsive controls.
>>
>>332946759

It has manual dodges. They're just not guaranteed dodges.

The trade-off for using the auto-dodge is that it takes some MP and you can't control your direction.

It's a fair system.
>>
>>332959359
that manual dodge didn't do shit and couldn't cancel out of attacks so it was completely useless.
The Iron Giants swings were way too wide for the manual dodge to get far enough away, and the I-frames on it are very sparse, if there are any at all.
It isn't a case of choosing between two equally viable options, the auto-dodge is far superior in all cases except for undodgeable attacks, but at that point, neutral warp is still far faster and gets you farther than the manual dodge.
>>
>>332959654
I liked the defense system in duscae where your dodges actually got you through the attack and out of the enemies reach
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.