[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So can we finally agree that DaS2 is a good game with everyone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 16
File: Dark_Souls_II_cover (1).jpg (56 KB, 256x369) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover (1).jpg
56 KB, 256x369
So can we finally agree that DaS2 is a good game with everyone only focusing on its flaws?
>>
>some area, the enemies are gone
>free path
Why even? Why did they think it would be a great idea to do that?
>>
i will not agree with that because it's not true

Dks2 is a bad game

this has been proved time and time again. Still has, always will be. Not even in the same league as the other games in the series.
>>
I always liked Dark Souls 2, even with its blatant flaws. It's fun to play and had some good ideas.

You forget how /v/ has an overall abysmal taste on games. Certain awful borefests (you know which games I'm talking about) are worshipped here and certain games are shitposted to death because they can't play them.
>>
it's fucking garbage

you contrarian dipshits can go fuck yourselves
>>
File: Dark_Souls_Cartoon1.jpg (35 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cartoon1.jpg
35 KB, 658x370
>>332943769
sotfs a shit

they made the early levels harder and everywhere else easier
>>
It's the best in the series. This is a fact.
>>
File: Capture.png (67 KB, 166x203) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
67 KB, 166x203
>>332944526
at least we can agree that /v/ has shit taste, some faggots on this board actually like the shitheap that is Dark Souls 2.
>>
>>332944621
It's not perfect, and it'll probably never live up to DaS1 in your mind, but it did a ton of shit right and the PvP was better than 1, in my opinion atleast.
>>
I can agree it's a good game, but the first one was waaaaaay better. Much better and more interesting level design.

II also has a couple horrible parts in it. Screw everything about Iron Passage and the Twin Pursuer, as well as Alonne Spam in Iron Keep.
>>
>>332943528
Best PvP of the series.
>>
It's really a take it or leave it game; some areas and areas are generic and bland, there are probably too many dudes in armour bosses, and having to warp just to level up is annoying.

But I think the game overall is pretty good; some really cool boss designs like the Demon of Song, some well put together areas especially in the DLC, and some pretty songs.

I liked it, 7/10
>>
>>332944981
>playing multiplayer in souls games
>>
File: Mortal_Kombat_Special_Forces.jpg (40 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Mortal_Kombat_Special_Forces.jpg
40 KB, 250x250
>>332944621
>>332944917

You know, whenever I try to decide if a game is garbage, I ask myself, is it comparable to Mortal Kombat Special Forces in the PS1? Or the Fifth Element game?

Apparently the people who have actually played garbage games are a dying breed on /v/.

What about you Anons, what criteria do YOU use to decide if a game is garbage?
>>
It's not as good as the other Souls games, but it's still better than most games made these days.
>>
>>332943528
its still a good game when looked at in a vacuum but so much about DaS1 blows it out of the water. I haven't seen fucking anything about 3 but it better have the proper explorable interconnected world and not this separate instance crap
>>
>>332945329
if I'm constantly being reminded over 40-50+ hours of play that I'm not enjoying myself because of an amalgamation of lazy design choices and an overall lack of polish I suppose.

Shaded Woods is when I realized something about the game was off and that it wasn't good. Those textures proved that enough for me. It wasn't until Iron Passage until I realized the game was absolute trash.

I always find it hilarious when Dks2 apologists talk about how the DLC is the best content in the whole souls series. I'll admit I haven't played Ivory King yet, but Iron King was atrocious with all those poise ridden enemies, terrible placements, and awful lighting and lack of detail. Sunken King is alright I guess but it's enemy variety fucking sucks.

There are a million reasons why Dks2 is shit. ask me faggot, I want to destroy that game. Do it.
>>
File: 1444768397263.webm (2 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1444768397263.webm
2 MB, 1024x576
Should I get vanilla DaS2 on ps3 or Scholar of the first sin on ps4 ?

I heard they fucked with the enemy placement and this makes the game worse ?

I'm not getting it on PC, my potato won't play it
>>
File: 2016-02-22_00008.jpg (223 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-22_00008.jpg
223 KB, 1440x810
>>332945239
I'd say the point where the game falls flat the most is that MOST areas are generic and bland, really. There's none of the sense of discovery from the first game.

Shaded Woods, Brighstone Cove, Aldia's Keep, Forest of Fallen Giants, the poison filled caves at the base of the windmill. There's nothing particularly interesting in these areas.

Meanwhile, the duller areas in the first game design-wise are what? The woods where you fight the Moonlight Butterfly, perhaps Undead Burg?

Hell, Blighttown is right by the entrance to the freaking demon-infested underworld. And you can see said demon-infested underworld from the Tomb of Giants!

Meanwhile the most interesting area in DSII has only one room and no combat in it
>>
>>332943528
>So can we finally agree that DaS2 is a good game with everyone only focusing on its flaws?

yes, this has already been confirmed by american matthewmatosis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9jrShSwjPU
>>
>>332943528
Having played it for the first time recently I ended up enjoying it more than DaS1. I really like a lot of the weapons in DaS2 and it has some awesome areas. The DLC areas are all fucking fantastic too aside from the shitty ice area prior to melting it.

It's by far the most fun Souls game to do coop through too. Had a blast playing with pals. A lot of the areas and bosses seem like they were designed with it in mind.
>>
>>332945827
If you want to play at 20fps with a dead online community and horrible visuals, get it on PS3.
>>
>>332945329
How boring it is (the most important aspect in my opinion)
How badly coded it is
How bad it plays
How unresponsive the controls are

If a game fullfills all of those four criteria in a negative way I would call it garbage.
>>
I'm struggling to enjoy 1 after playing SOTFS. Yes it's a better game.
>>
>>332944773
This. The gameplay was improved from 1 in every single way.
>>
>>332945794
I don't think anyone in their right mind would defend Iron Passage. Especially not the Scholar of the First Sin version.

I wouldn't say the DLC is the best content in the series, but it's both superior to the base game AND more beautiful to look at.
>haven't played Ivory King
You're missing out on 2cat and Burnt Ivory King shenanigans anon.
Burnt Ivory King isn't as bad as Twin Pursuer but it comes close in my opinion.
>>
>>332946179
I won't be playing online at all and I already had to force myself to play through Blighttown in DaS1 at 10fps so lol
>>
>>332946250
bait
>>
File: 1408562553294.gif (892 KB, 300x361) Image search: [Google]
1408562553294.gif
892 KB, 300x361
>DS2 was so offensively bad people won't stop shitposting about it even though DS3 is released in a week
Boy i still remember how assblasted and frustrated people were when it was just released and everyone understood that it was the most horrifying case of false advertizing in recent gaming history.
>>
DaS 2 was great
Scholar was GREAT
>>
>>332946321
If you have the choice just get it on ps4. 60fps is nice and the DLCs are better than the main game.

Or you could just wait 10 days for DaS3 which is a much better game
>>
>>332946329
My personal preference is all. You're allowed to disagree it's not a hi/v/e mind here.
>>
>>332946336

literally this desu
>>
>>332946412
>>332946467
DS2 is awful

>>>reddit.com/r/darksouls2
>>
>>332946319
Burnt Ivory King coop might be the most fun boss in all of Souls. It's so satisfying fighting that boss with three friends and actually using teamwork and coordination to shit on the enemies. DaS2 almost feels like an MMO at certain points when playing coop.

>designate roles
>friend tanks and aggros enemies to let others heal
>I support with debuff and buff spells and then long range hexes
>dps shreds through the backup knights to keep them from aiding the boss
>we all go ham on the boss once everything is dead

Nothing is more satisfying.
>>
>>332946580
Yes I've been there but I like coming here to bother you.
>>
File: 1459229722006.png (16 KB, 958x660) Image search: [Google]
1459229722006.png
16 KB, 958x660
>>332946429
Yeah I'll probably get it on PS4 for the 60 fps
I am concerned about the new enemy placement though.
I just wish DS1 was on PS4, I'm a poorfag so I'll wait for DS3 to come down in price
>>
File: 1426022649184.jpg (64 KB, 566x566) Image search: [Google]
1426022649184.jpg
64 KB, 566x566
I bought DS2 at launch and enjoyed it.
Then /v/ shitposted about it so much I kinda lost the joy.

3 weeks ago I set out to finish it. I did just that.
Then I played and finished Bloodborne for the first time last week.

The two games are so mashed together in my brain now I'm not sure which areas are which now.
>>
>>332946729
back to re.ddit with you! you can lick the ass of tanimura uninhibited there. game is trash
>>
Depends entirely on what you liked about the other Souls games.

If you played through DeS and/or DaS because you simply liked the combat so much, you probably found DaS2 to be okay.

If you played through previous souls games for the atmosphere, world, and implied lore, then DaS2 probably didn't have much to offer you.

I was in the latter camp. I found DaS2 to be one big chalice dungeon and a chore to play.
>>
It's a great game. The only reason it's so criticized is because it came after a seriously fun and unique masterpiece and it changed a lot of things that people loved about the first one. /v/ is a hyperbolic pile of shit anyways, it's no use trying to sway the popular opinion on here.
>>
>>332946769
That's why in concerned 3 won't feel as good after playing SOTFS at 60 fps. Maybe it's time to buy a PEECEE.
>>
>>332946769
new enemy placements are better in most areas, only shitty one is Iron Keep
>dude allone knights everywhere lmao

It's much better than the ps3 version though.
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 380x380
>>332943528
No.

If anything playing Dark Souls 3 has just reaffirmed how terrible DS2 was. Like it shouldn't even fucking exist. Dark Souls 3 is what Dark Souls 2 should have been.
>>
File: 1445058305146.jpg (23 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1445058305146.jpg
23 KB, 480x480
>>332945943
>American

What? Do you know what Northern Ireland is?
>>
>>332946786
You're a weird dude. I like it here just fine using the cover app, your shitposting can't change that. Have a great weekend.
>>
>>332947053
Did you even watch the video? Not even 5 seconds?
>>
>>332946595
I tend to find that DSII experiments a lot more with its bosses than DSI did, especially in the DLC.

Looking Glass Knight summons other players a la Old Monk from DeS.
Ivory King is a massive gauntlet.
Fume Knight throws its attack set out of the window mid-fight.
Sinh is highly mobile.

It's a strength, I guess.
>>
File: 1459463412896.jpg (290 KB, 1131x1600) Image search: [Google]
1459463412896.jpg
290 KB, 1131x1600
>>332947010
Iron Keep was my least favourite area in SotFS because it just felt like it was out to get you. Allone knights fucking everywhere, and that part when you find a hidden passage and get to ballista one in the back? Nice find, buddy, it does one-third of his health, what a reward you've got there friend.

Not to mention the section after you lower the bridge before Smelter Demon and there are two Captains, one before the fog door and another at the opposite end of the passage. No matter where you go, you're going to be getting nailed in the back by a greatbow, and more Knights drop in to whale on you.

Plus you can now be knocked out of the animation for passing a fog door, stopping you from skipping past them into the boss.
>>
File: 1457573437451.jpg (57 KB, 289x288) Image search: [Google]
1457573437451.jpg
57 KB, 289x288
>>332943528
I had fun with it and I enjoyed it more than many other recent games, but it wasn't a good sequel.

Most peoples' problems with it stem from how it pales in comparison to the other souls games. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 both had their fair share of flaws and you'd expect the developers to recognize and fix them in a sequel, but it just didn't happen.

Rolling in more than 4 directions was nice, but they fucked up rolling with agility.

Covenants and their functions still weren't implemented well. The Blue Sentinels were useless right from launch because invaders had to duel to get cracked red eye orbs, which was a chore. It wasn't fun to get gang-raped by enemies from the rat covenant and the bellfags could only invade in very specific areas (and they'd get reinforcements after a minute, which was retarded).

There were no regional servers for multiplayer either. All too often I got paired up against some laggy idiot from Russia.

Enemy hit detection could be wonky in Dark Souls 1, but it was made much worse in Dark Souls 2 thanks to both agility and ridiculous hitboxes.

Like >>332945794 said, the level design and enemy placement was extremely poor, both of which were praised in the previous two games. The DLC's level design was good in some places but absolutely abysmal in others.

Boss design and difficult, which were also praised in both other Souls games, both took a nosedive for the most part as well. Fighting multiple enemies at once was more tedious than it was fun, and most of the bosses looked uncreative and had boring movesets.

They also did nothing interesting with Dark Souls' lore. "Everything's repeating again and it will always repeat" was such a letdown.
>>
>>332946226
Too bad your criteria sucks.
>How boring it is (the most important aspect in my opinion)
This is wholly subjective and as such a personal criteria I won't tackle.
>How badly coded it is
It had some bugs, yes, but overall functioned better than DkS1. Yakuza code is also a mess, games are still fun. Even if the code is a mess, so long as it doesn't affect you, this is the part where the dev can say "none of your fuckin' business". You are no game developer, you don't have a stake or a right to comment on the development process unless it has glaring flaws even a layman can see. Your only stake is to say if the end product is good for you or not.
>How bad it plays
That's far too general a criteria to even mean anything. If you mean mechanically, DkS2 is superior in certain things and fails in others. It has a less flexible moveset but it also has much better PvP and netcode than DkS1.
>How unresponsive the controls are
I don't see how the only 60fps game in the series up to Ds3 has the worst response time.
>If a game fullfills all of those four criteria in a negative way I would call it garbage.
Your criterias are garbage.
>>
>>332947256
I've previously watched it twice. I know what it is from looking at the thumbnail, its Matthewmatosis' 40-odd minute DSII critique.

Did YOU even watch the video?
>>
>>332947010
Iron Keep almost ruined the game for me because of the sheer amount of knights they put in between the first two bonfires. It's total bullshit and a massive chore to go through.
>>
>>332947053
>>332947256
Well I'll be damned, it's not.

Excuse me while I binge-watch the channel in the drought of Matthew's content.
>>
I got a couple playthroughs out of it but all in all its just a dull game. I can still, and do, boot up Dark Souls with a build or challenge mode in mind and have a blast.

I think one of the bigger issues for me was the massive amount of weapons and armour that were not only incredibly mediocre but all shared the exact same moveset with each other. Perhaps I'm in the minority but I genuinely prefer the Bloodborne practice of having few but fairly varied weapons over hundreds of reskins with the same movepool.

Plus other things like the durability bug, overall boring map design (with a few really good areas, though I didn't play the dlc), blobbing enemies together to force 'difficulty', and an over abundance of 'knight in armour' enemy and boss fights; bear in mind I took issue with DaS with this as well.

In the end DeS, DaS, and BB aren't perfect games and all have their issues but the one quality they share is that they've all held my interest while DaSII doesn't; it just feels like a chore.

Even watching the any% speedruns of DeS, DaS, and DaSII I found DaSII to be the most boring since it's 90% glitches and massive skips
>>
File: PhotoFunia-daafec5_o.jpg (224 KB, 814x1200) Image search: [Google]
PhotoFunia-daafec5_o.jpg
224 KB, 814x1200
>>332943879
Doing it onebro makes it at least playable.
>>
>>332946336
And then the actual game kicked in and I forgot all about the downgrade. Holy fuck, what a mess. I wouldn't mind it so much if they didn't fuck up mechanics as well.
>>
>>332943528
It's still not a good game, Zelda cycle doesn't apply to series with ovjectively shitty entries. Soul memory, shitty bosses, shitty enemy placement, no interconnecting overworld/shortcuts. A complete downgrade in all non-graphical departments. DaS3 is better purely by grace of no SM.
>>
>>332947473

no its not you dumbshit, its a different guy defending the game. he's basically what matthewmatosis would be if matt wasn't fanboy and didn't take three months to release a video
>>
>>332947473
>I know what it is from looking at the thumbnail, its Matthewmatosis' 40-odd minute DSII critique.

No it's not you fucking retard.
>>
If it didn't have the Dark Souls name I would have liked it more. Coming off DeS, DaS and BB where everything is so deliberate in its placement DaSII just felt kinda stitched together.
>>
>>332947756
Is that what you redditors call SL1? Why the fuck would base ADP make it playable?
>>
>>332947672
>an over abundance of 'knight in armour' enemy and boss fights; bear in mind I took issue with DaS with this as well.

Really? Only a few spring to mind:
- O&S
- Artorias
- Iron Golem
- ...?

Apart from stuff like the large Black Iron knights (which were not bosses) there aren't many others I can think of. Quelaag, Priscilla, Gaping Dragon, Centipede Demon, Nito, Manus; Not all of them played as well as others but they were much more imaginatively designed than a dude in armour.
>>
>DS2 - people barely remember how they got there because the dark sign causes amnesia
>hallowing is the result of not getting enough souls and becoming mindless
>DS1 - everyone remembers how and why they got there
>hallowing is more ambiguous but stems more from hopelessness

The only kind of interesting NPC bit was between Crayton and Pate. Their major 'sad' character arc is Lucitel who pales in comparison to nearly every NPC arc in DS1.
>>
>>332948143

>I've been on this chan for years. Who cares what website I go to or language I use. I go to SA as well. Going to judge me for that too?

ADP is slightly improved with wearing the peasant set. SL1 is best in DkS1, true. But at least puts a spin on the game so it's not so freakin easy.

And you should take it easy while your at it.
>>
>>332947585

yeah i just discovered this guy the other day when someone was shilling his The Witness review. he's actually pretty good and actually seems to release shit regularly
>>
File: Wait a minute.jpg (51 KB, 499x550) Image search: [Google]
Wait a minute.jpg
51 KB, 499x550
>>332948458
>shameless goonditor
>fell for the hardcore meme out of sheer incompetence
>seeks more challenge on a fundamentally broken game
Fuck this place.
>>
>>332947672
How is having a lot of armor and weapons a bad thing? As far as variety goes there are more unique weapons in DaS2 than any of the other Souls games (haven't played 3 yet so cannot comment on that).

The variation weapons all have their own stat requirements and strengths and weaknesses when it comes to range and swing speed. This is exactly how DeS did it too so it's nothing new. The sheer number of unique weapons is huge in DaS2 and the amount of variants also means that it's easy to accommodate for a lot of different kinds of builds and purposes with a weapon type.

When it comes to armor more is better. It allows for a variety of different looks. Like a lot of people I believe in Fashionsouls and I put appearance before stats for pretty much everything in Souls games since I couldn't care less about PvP. The number of outfits in DaS2 is awesome because of how many different looks. It's hard for me to decide on a single look when there are so many cool looking armor sets.
>>
>>332943879
>this has been proved time and time again

only on /v/ and a handful of youtube autists, critically it's better than DeS and DaS
>>
>>332943528
Wasn't good enough for a huge fan like me who liked Dark Souls so much I platinumed it, to even bother finishing the game after it came out.

I still never finished it, though I'll have at least beat it before DaS3 launches. Still not enjoying it.
>>
I absolutely despise what they did to Hollowing in the second game. The first game did a pretty good job of making hollows not feel like just another generic undead curse, they had a pretty unique design that actually make them look as if they were hollow inside, with empty black eyesockets and brown, dry, wood-ish skin, strong ties to bonfires, and hollowing could be warded off indefinitely as long as you had a purpose to cling to. That even extended in-game to the fact that after you exhausted vendor supplies some of them would lose purpose and lose themselves.

Then Dark Souls II turned their design into generic zombies and I couldn't hate that more.
>>
>>332949810
>critically it's better than DeS and DaS
>in my shitty, uneducated, retarded, child-like opinion, it's better than DeS and DaS

the dead zone movement alone makes it worse than DaS, it's noticeable ever time I switch between the games. It doesn't even come within the same territory as DeS.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.