[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam Controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11
File: Steam_Controller.jpg (40 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
Steam_Controller.jpg
40 KB, 970x545
Who actually bought this?
>>
>>332932379
I'd like to know if it's worth it for dark souls without buying one first
>>
>>332932379

I did. It's surprisingly good for games like The Division if you can't play with a kb/m for some reason. For many other games, it's shit.

The gyro is great, though. I imagine the next iteration of xbox controllers will get one as well.
>>
>>332932379
It's decent for Dark Souls. Playing 2 with it right now and it takes a little getting used to, otherwise very solid and nice to use.
>>
I like it. You can very easily make and browse custom button layouts for any game at will. It's just a well made simple experience. I still prefer DS4 however I like this for non gamepad games.
>>
>>332933147
>>332933696
This, kinda curious since the preorder for dark souls 3 gets the controller for 30$
>>
I would have, but without a d-pad I can't justify it
>>
I did and it kinda sucks
>>
ITT: people who guzzle Gabe's cum pretending to like the worst controller on this planet.
>>
>>332932379
I bought it, would be a goat controller if the left touchpad was a dpad
>>
>>332932379
>load most popular community config for xinput game
>buttons mapped to triggers, triggers mapped to paddles

the initial problem when using the right pad, the buttons are so low that you end up hitting B and Y when you want A and X.
for plain old xinput games, keep it simple and just stick to the generic layout until it bakes into your coordination.
rumble emulation is novel, but noisy so headphones recommended.

i wish valve would roll in global DI/XI/KBM->DI/XI/KBM remapping support for all inputs, not just their own kit
>>
Me. It's a great controller if you know what you're buying it for, only downside is the updates can be buggy and the d-pad sucks for 2d platformers
>>
>>332936553
It is good for racing games?
>>
>>332934951
What does Gabe have to do with dualshock controllers
>>
File: Untitled.png (169 KB, 1296x759) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
169 KB, 1296x759
>>332932379

I bought mine in November, and use it every day to play Trove. I love the thing. Pic related is the top Trove configs, and mine are the NA-Davoc ones (the top ones).
>>
>>332936553
>and the d-pad sucks for 2d platformers

That's literally the only flaw

ALL HE HAD TO DO WAS MAKE A GOOD DPAD ON THE LEFT
>>
>>332938049
you can't use a touchpad as a jogwheel to steer like a wheel, so fuck the thing
>>
How would this controller do in an fps like TF2?
>>
>>332938049
>>332938280
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwW6uB-tvqY
>>
>>332938663
>gyro controls
what is this 2006
>>
>>332938127
Sickest burn
>>
>>332932379
I did, it's not a bad controller, it has some uses but for me the top bumpers are annoying and uncomfortable to press, so usually if i need them they get re assign as the pedals. The round buttons also hurt my thumb i'd rather them be flat. The controller also feels cheap but thats not really an issue. Overall it's decent The customization is what makes the controller, you can do so much shit with it if you bother to fiddle and dick around with all the settings, hell you can use the gyro for racing games like a wiimote which is pretty cool. If they made a revised version that changes the 3 things i mentioned above it'd be a 10/10 but right now its a 7.5 for me.
>>
I did. It's good for anything that you dont need a controller for.

If you can use a 360/Xbox One controller, it's worse. But if you want to play to a Mouse and Keyboard game, it's good.
>>
>>332932379
I did. It's imo the best controlelr for anything that does not require a d-pad. It works okay for platformers and shmups, but fighting games are impossible. It excels at games like The Talos Principle where you can bind everything to gamepad controls but the right touchpad (and gyro) to the mouse to look around. Racing games also work really well.
>>
>>332938271
You're right, but the ability to bind itf to weapon select/mousewheel etc means that's it's useful for shooters.
>>
>>332932379
i got the dark souls 3 bundle with that controller
looks to be a pretty nice controller, but i'm not expecting something revolutionary; i just need to replace my ebay wii u pro controller
>>
>>332939641
Sure, it's better for shooters than normal controllers. But who plays shooters on a controller.
>>
>>332939680
Wii U Pro controller is probably the best controller this gen. Best battery life, and it work with the Steam Link perfectly.
>>
>>332939585
I disagree, if you turn off the need to click thing for the dpad you can press the buttons just by touching the dpad trackpad and it makes things very fluid and depending on the deadzones you set it can be extremely accurate without the need to actually press anything like a normal dpad. Once you get used to it, it can outperform a regular dpad.

>>332939680
at first I was a little disappointed, it seemed very akward at first. It's very much a controller you have to work with to get used to, but after using it for awhile and messing with the settings it's become my new favorite.
>>
>>332939881
Previously I would never had used a controller for a shooter and I still wouldn't for MP or anything really twitchy but the SC is good enough. I'm playing through old FPSes in my bed with the SC and it works great, just finished the original shadow warrior and FEAR and it works great on normal difficulties at least, once you find the sens that work for you, binding lean to the back paddles feels great.
>>
>>332940025
I did that. DPs are still impossible for me. Stuff like quarter circles works just fine, but after some time I lose the center of the pad.
>>
>>332940221
just realized i said "great" like 12 times, i need sleep desu
>>
>>332939996
yeah, i love my real one; especially the battery time
but i don't feel like syncing it back and forth with my pc and wii u
so i got a couple of bootleg controllers off of ebay; decent considering they cost like 10 bucks, but they've been getting wonky over time
>>
File: IMG_0368.jpg (525 KB, 1383x1037) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0368.jpg
525 KB, 1383x1037
Here a size comparison with other controllers. It's slightly larger than a Xbox 360 controller.
>>
Clicking the touchpads is so loud it hurts my ears.
>>
I want to buy it once it gets a 2nd version.
With a button layout like this, since its vastly superior to randomly placing them down.
Its not like you even need the buttons either.
>>
>>332940668
That button layout is shit, and why wouldn't you just throw an right analog stick in there since you now have the extra room.
>>
>>332940668
The problem is that you cant play any platformer with that layout, or it would need a lot of practice. It seem better for shooters though.
>>
>>332940919
Because there is no point in analog on right? There is no point in analog to the left either, but during testing they found out too many whined over the left pad, and compromised.
>>
Retarded shit when we have perfectly good controllers right now.
>>
It's proper shite once you get it in your hands. Xbox 360 is perfect.
>>
>>332941026
There is no point to the controller at all.
>>
>>332940397
>translucent DC controller

At least it's first party.

But thank you for this helpful image comparison.
>>
>>332932379
It is about as worthless as a steam machine.

Valve fucked up so bad here. They should have put all their effort into just the OS and Steam Link. Steam Link only streams direct from your PC and does not use the new OS. If the Steam Link was made to be more like a Roku, Valve would have had a success on their hands. Allowing for you to stream from a sever farm and your PC. With things like Netflix and Amazon available.Valve fucked up bad. More and more steaming boxes are vying for the living room and instead of getting in early on what is the future, they wanted to make physical hardware that is just a weak PC. Make no sense at all, I am surprised the person who came up with that idea wasn't fired. That is how stupid it is.

It would be an easy sell at Best Buy or other retailers as well. "It's like an Xbox, but you don't need discs at all. You don't even need a hard drive. You can stream the games from your PC or from Valve's servers."

OnLive was 10 years ahead of their time. Sony bought OnLive and now they are blazing the path with Microsoft. The next PlayStation will just be a streaming box. The next Xbox will be the same thing, which is why Microsoft and Sony are both covertly rendering their current systems worthless. This all happening without ignorant console users even knowing. PlayStation Now, Vue, Xbox/Windows 10 games being crossed over. Windows 10 being an operating system that is scalable from Phones to Desktops.

The controller is shit. But it would be a value if sold along side a more feature robust streaming device.

Way to go Valve. You even wasted money on the VR meme. Really nice, you did it.
>>
>>332941035
>perfectly good controllers
>need aim assist for any game that requires the least amount of precision aiming
>>
>>332941035
It's meant to be an alternative to keyboard and mouse, not to controllers.

It's meant to be a better way to play shooters on the couch or to play Sim games or stuff like that. Puzzle games? Perfect for that. It's just not good for games that need buttons like Platformers or action games.
>>
>>332941287
If you want precision, use a mouse.
>>
>>332941162
My Xbox controller was downstairs, but everybody remember the giant xbox controller so it's not really useful for the picture. I think I have a normal controller too, must be in my controller bin too.
>>
>>332941315
Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. The same as SteamOS.
>>
>>332941020
>Map buttons to right pad
>Map stuff to the 6 shoulder buttons
>Can't play platformers
?????
>>
>>332941347
I want precision and the comfiness of a controller.

>>332941179
>streaming is the future
Enjoy not owning any of your games.
>>
>>332941347
But you cant easily use a mouse on the couch. That's why this controller exist. You can play Keyboard and mouse games on the couch. Path of Exile on the couch. Grim Dawn on the couch. Civ 5 on the couch. That's the point.
>>
I did.

I highly recommend it.

Fite me
>>
>>332941179
But streaming from a server farm is fucking shit unless you have <10 ping and fast UL/DL rates. I have 200 down and pretty low pings but streaming video games from the internet still sucks ass.
>>
>>332941567
>you cant easily use a mouse on the couch.

Maybe if you have an IQ of <60.
>>
>>332941521
You can, but as a NES/SNES era gamer, not having the crossair configuration for platfomers would require a lot of practice.

It's not impossible, just not comfortable. Same for Quicktime events, you just know that X is there and Y is there.
>>
>>332941679
Sure. Let me grab my wireless mouse, a plank of wood, my wireless keyboard, on a small table over my lap, and play like this.

Instead of a controller that does a decent job at replacing the whole setup needed.
>>
>>332941682
>Literally bind crosshair button config to right pad
>Haptics literally turns them into real physical buttons
>" not having the crossair configuration for platfomers would require a lot of practice."
?????
>>
File: we just dont know.gif (998 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
we just dont know.gif
998 KB, 250x251
>>332941838
It would. I've been trained for 25 years with that configuration when I use a controller. That's why all controller have it.
>>
File: PS2_gamepad_gen6.jpg (31 KB, 440x354) Image search: [Google]
PS2_gamepad_gen6.jpg
31 KB, 440x354
>>332942041
Nobody can agree on where the buttons go.
>>
How is it for RTS games?
>>
>>332942285
Notice how they all have the same crossair configuration ? Well that's why it would need practice.
>>
>>332942413
It's probably decent if you play Solo.
>>
File: Sega_Saturn_gamepad__.jpg (188 KB, 1619x1080) Image search: [Google]
Sega_Saturn_gamepad__.jpg
188 KB, 1619x1080
>>332942416
>Same crosshair
>Literally a triangle on one
>And a rectangle on another
>>
>>332940668
Valve released the CAD files.

Just learn Solidworks and get a 3D Printer then make it yourself!
>>
>>332942413
Mouse region basically solved all the issues a RTS game would normally have.
>>
>>332933147
>>332934195
It takes some practice, but it's pretty good since you can roll and run while controlling the camera
>>
>>332942650
Saturn was a weird controller.

And the gamecube still had the same. Having a moon configuration is totally different.
>>
>>332942774
>tfw people are already printing the backplate with a slot for the dongle
>>
File: Ye_old_gamepads.png (137 KB, 700x574) Image search: [Google]
Ye_old_gamepads.png
137 KB, 700x574
>>332942837
Going by the general trend, rectangle and 2 is the most common format.

>>332942774
Those CAD files are sexy
>>
>>332941523
If you use Steam you already don't own your games. I don't really give a fuck because I won't be wanting to play games years from now. I'm not gonna be too upset that Arkham Asylum, GTA4, Space Marine, etc are no longer in my "possession". I am paying for convenience, not for some greater good like free software. I don't give a fuck. I won't be playing games forever and I don't want to hoard tons of boxes or even digital rights to games.
>>
>>332941179
Here's the thing that pisses me off about all these "Streaming is the future" guys like Sony and Nvidia who claim they're going to be the "Netflix of videogames", the don't even understand why netflix is popular in the first place.
Netflix can be used on anything, anywhere. Any computer, any phone, any tablet, any console, most blueray players, almost all smart tv's. There is NO way you don't have access to netflix.
And then these retards come in and say "Well fuck that, you need to buy OUR hardware to use our service." and then they wonder why it's not as successful.
>>
>>332943159
I buy most of my games DRM free. DRM can also be cracked, a streamed game will make this much harder, if it will be possible at all.
>>
>>332942774
You can't move the buttons though, you'd need a new board for that
>>
File: 61N6HhtgTML._SL1360_.jpg (73 KB, 960x1360) Image search: [Google]
61N6HhtgTML._SL1360_.jpg
73 KB, 960x1360
>>332932379
mine should be arriving at my door this week.

along with this...
>>
why are the handles backwards
>>
>>332943630
You're supposed to touch the touchpads with the tip of your thumbs instead of the "palm" of your thumbs like with a normal controller. I guess they're tilted upwards to make that position the most comfortable.
>>
>>332943329
That is wrong but ok. Games are multiplat. So whether you pick Sony or M$ it doesn't matter. AssCreed will be on both. Netflix will be on both. Sony Vue already has network support, I am sure they would also support M$. Windows 10 works on tons of devices and is scalable. You can use Windows 10 on your TV by streaming or software. If you stream you have direct access to all the features of desktop Windows. If you are using a device, you have the simple layout but you ALWAYS have the option to got to full desktop mode. Your device just may have suffer from poor performance.

Nintendo is using mobile now. Xbox has had an app for years. Don't think Sony won't have one.

So now consider how stupid you are. I can use Netflix on my DS, my PS3, Wii, desktop, laptop, phone, music player, tablet, TV, Roku, Apple TV, etc etc etc etc etc. So now, assume the next Xbox is a streaming device, features windows 10 which it will. How am I going to be limited in anyway with the use of the external services I use?

A game exclusive to steam? Any box you have can stream your desktop (in the near future). Is a game exclusive to Sony? Will Sony already confirmed development of a PCesq store. Is a game exclusive to GOG, UPlay, Origin? You can stream it. In fact, you won't even need to desktop stream because to make the most money, companies will make their product available on the most platforms possible. PlayStation Now is the next box.

PlayStation Vue doesn't support Roku at present, but it will. Unless Sony wants to leave money on the table. In the future of streamed services, the boxes will blend together. They already do. But that is where marketing comes in and you try to target an audience and manufacture a culture to associate with your brand. Which is exactly what Sony did with the original PlayStation, everyone else followed suit.
>>
>>332944428
I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about
This is about streaming games to people who don't want to buy expensive hardware, the whole point of streaming
If I have to buy a playstation to stream games, why would I not just buy playstation games and get a better experience?
>>
>>
File: 1448166118897.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1448166118897.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>332945150
>>
>>332945656
Cool gif
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.