[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FFIX
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 1920x1080
Why do people say IX is the best FF?

>Slow combat
>Slow pacing
>Trance is shit
>Vivi is the only interesting character

Convince me to give this game another chance.
>>
beautiful, polished
the only real downside is long transition in/out of battles
>>
I have no idea

as someone who started with FF1 as a kid, I ended up finding FF12 the best

replayed 4-8 a lot but I never feel like touching 9 again, and even less 10
>>
>>332931020

Yeah, FFXII is my favorite as well.

FFIX was just a snoozefest to me. If someone can articulate why it's so good, I'm all ears. I feel like nostalgia has something to do with why people like it.
>>
It's brimming with charm
>>
>>332930804
I don't know.

It's my least favorite of the PS1 era. It's just so restrictive. I didn't enjoy it's linearity. You don't get access to the game world until Disk 3, the same time you can finally choose your party members. What I could do within one disk of both 7 and 8, took three disks in 9.

As others said it was painfully slow even with the game speed cranked up to the max.

I didn't like how fucked up the steal rates were in the game.

I hated every single minigame like jump rope, the performance at the beginning, and there's a special place in hell for the designed of Chocobo hot and cold.

I didn't like how many antagonists the game had. It seemed like every other scene there was a new enemy, between The Queen, Beatrix, that Black Mage that hunts you, Kuja, Garland, Necron. The game never truly settled.

And the end was a head scratcher, literally ended with the Genomes thinking Kuja some kind of savior for showing them they could think for themselves, despite being a mass murderer
>>
>>332930804
Its the game's charm, the characters dialogue is just so well made and feels really personal and helps the character development a lot; great world, story and atmosphere, AMAZING OST, probably FF's best OST, the characters are all relatable too and well written for the most part.

I mean, everything is so good overall, the really downside is Trance and the end being rushed due to limitations and deadlines.
>>
>>332930804
that's the only downside.
everything else is great. best ost, world, setting, characters, story...
>>
>>332933581
>>332933781

>best OST

That's a mighty strong claim in a world were 6, 7, 11 and 14 exist. Personally I don't put it in the same ballpark as either of the MMO titles, but sits a comfortable 3rd overall.
>>
>>332930804
Just a reminder that FFIX fanboys are the worst and will discard any negative opinion of the game, talk you down, and will likely to call you a faggot.
>>
>>332930804
TRENO
https://youtu.be/6T3cei6me4o
also, chocobo hot and cold is still my favorite mini game to date

it gets better man, you still have like 3 discs to go
>>
>>332930804
>Slow combat
wtf you talking aboout its the same in every game

>Slow pacing
Its a fucking rollercoaster up until disk 3, how the hell its "slow"?

>Vivi is the only interesting character
Thats one more than in other games
>>
>>332930804

They're contrarians.

Everything about the game is absolutely awful; it's a generic fantasy story crammed into a garbage art-style that doesn't work in 3D praised by retards that think referencing old shit makes for quality.

Oh, and it runs like garbage unless you try to fix it with an emulator.

FF9 fans disgust me beyond words.
>>
>>332934184
It takes almost a full minute for any random encounter to start.

Most of the events drag out for too long and doesn't get the point right away, compared to let's say FFVI. Hell, you can't even leave Alexandria until a little under or after an hour has passed.

Vivi is by far the only interesting character, and a lot of main games have more compelling characters than what IX had to offer.
>>
File: dohohoho.jpg (107 KB, 999x678) Image search: [Google]
dohohoho.jpg
107 KB, 999x678
>>332933997
Well, Uematsu says its his favorite soundtrack and he knows better than you.
>>
>>332933997
Never played the MMO's myself, but I've listened to some pieces of the soundtrack and I have to agree, their pretty amazing.

I have a nostalgic softspot overall for 9 but 's OST is really great, if we are talking about non MMO its probably the best with 8 and 6 very close.
>>
>>332930804

>IT'S BEEN 5 SECONDS AND I HAVEN'T SHOT SOMETHING

Fuck off pleb.
>>
>>332934182

>it gets better man, you still have like 3 discs to go

You wanna know what's funny about what you just said? You'd get shitted on for telling someone that FFXIII gets better twenty hours in.
>>
It's true to itself and doesn't try to be anything it isn't.
>>
>>332934182
>implying disc1 isnt the best
The others are still amazing too but disc 1 is great.
>>
>>332934719
Ironically, both games get better when they open up. Before that they're as railroading as FFX.

13's biggest sin was not letting you revisit old areas and giving you reasons to revisit them.
>>
People who "don't like" IX don't really understand or care what Final Fantasy is about.
>>
File: 123312.png (79 KB, 901x500) Image search: [Google]
123312.png
79 KB, 901x500
>>332935620
>>
>>332935620
But fantasy is GAY, anon.
>>
>>332934952

That wasn't a sin at all. Why the fuck would I want to go back to an empty corridor? FFXIII's biggest sin was its horrible pacing.
>>
EARLY 2016
>>
>>332934479
>Hell, you can't even leave Alexandria until a little under or after an hour has passed.
same or even worse in ff 7? and emulating deals with the slow encounter starts.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.