[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hearthstone vs MTG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: hearthstone.jpg (394 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
hearthstone.jpg
394 KB, 1920x1080
Alright, what makes this game different from MTG?

>all creatures have wither
>you never draw lands and you automatically get a land drop every turn until turn 10
>no instants or combat tricks except for secrets

I tried helping my brother out with the Arena using my deckbuilding skills from playing MTG for years, but he ended up getting crushed every time. What makes Hearthstone so different?
>>
>>332923974

so much rng in hearthstone.
you just try to maximize your luck with the best (op) deck.
arena has much luck in it too because you can only choose between random cards.
play it like all other luck based games and you will be fine, if you think skill matters much you play the wrong game.
only retards think that skill matters much so they feel like chess masters.
>>
File: Las_Vegas_slot_machines.jpg (319 KB, 1100x768) Image search: [Google]
Las_Vegas_slot_machines.jpg
319 KB, 1100x768
>>
>>332923974
RNG as fuck

Still, probably the best phone game available
>>
In addition to your points:
You can only have 7 creatures out at a time.
There are effects which rely solely on RNG (e.g Piloted Shredder deathrattle, shaman burn spells)
There are nowhere near the amount of creature keywords.
Creatures can be directly targeted by other creatures, making board control a matter of intelligent trading rather than comboing or flooding.

If you want some basic help on deckbuilding, remember that Hearthstone is far more about maintaining control and tempo throughout the game, so creatures with big attack but tiny toughness are worthless because they get killed by cheap shit. Weapons are best used for killing creatures, as are burn spells and buffs usually.
>>
>>332924983
>If you want some basic help on deckbuilding, remember that Hearthstone is far more about maintaining control and tempo throughout the game

So Charge(haste) is really good then?
>>
>>332925242
It can be, but charge minions tend to fall in the category of big power/small toughness while simultaneously being overcosted.
That just leads to you killing a minion but losing the charge minion at the same time, which not only didn't gain you anything but also lets the opponent safely play a minion into a possibly empty board.

Pretty much the only exception is Kor'kron Elite, and that's only because it has 3 toughness so it can double kill more often.
>>
>>332925242
Charge minions 90% of the time are just worse burn spells, unless you go face
>>
>>332925454
Well actually let me rephrase, this is true for minions which only have charge.
Things like Argent Commander (charge, divine shield) or Grommash Hellscream (charge, enrage +6 attack) are used because their other abilities synergize well with charge.
>>
People don't seem to understand that Hearthstone is a luck manipulation game. You don't play to win individual matches, but to improve your win-loss ratio over a long period of time.
>>
File: 129[1].jpg (60 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
129[1].jpg
60 KB, 312x445
>>332927061
how long do you suppose until Hearthstone puts in Miracles?
>>
It's "streamlined" Magic that removed everything interesting (the stack) and left in everything broken (triggered effects.)
>>
>/v/ is still desperate to make this the next TORtanic
>>
>>332923974
With many card games, it's hard to tell what's going on just by briefly glancing at the screen.

What I like with Hearthstone is that you can very easily tell what's going on. It's nice.
>>
Magic duels was a mistake
>>
>>332927272

didn't they already had a card that said "deal 2 damage to every creature on the field when you draw this"

?

like it was one of the first card ever released in fact
>>
Hearthstone is shit.
>>
>>332928918
Flame Leviathan, mage card in the first expansion in December 2014
>>
>>332924418
mabinogi duel nig.
>>
>>332929093
it was fun till new expansion
>>
File: gnomedrunk.png (609 KB, 565x565) Image search: [Google]
gnomedrunk.png
609 KB, 565x565
Hearthstone is a dumbed down version of the WOWTCG, which is a dumbed down version if MTG
>>
>>332929259
what's wrong with G3?
>>
>>332923974
No amount of deckbuilding skill is going to help you in arena. Drafting experience is going to help you valuate cards better, but at the end of the day winnin in arena comes down to knowing how to make good trades and little else. Arena, unlike actual drafting, is completely fucking random in which cards you get and there is little to no skill involved in actually picking your cards outside of knowing what isn't shit and making sure you have a decent curve.

On the topic of curve, that is also literally all that matter in Hearthstone. Because mana comes in set intervals and your opponent's turns are completely non-interactive, the most important thing in Hearthstone is building a deck that will curve out and has efficient plays every single turn. Unlike MTG there are absolutely no equivalents to active abilities or instants that would allow you to sit on your mana while still presenting a threat, so the entire game revolves around makign sure you empty out your mana bar pretty much every turn in a game impacting way through cards. This is also why trading and card advantage becomes doubly important. Because both you and your opponent are going to be curving out every single turn, being able to 2-for-1 your opponent multiple times slowly puts you into an unrecoverable advantage because there are no alternative means of playing aside from playing cards efficiently. At the higher levels of play being able to predict your opponents moves allows you to absolutely crush them in this manner, but at the beginning and even up to the lower end of high skill cap all that really matter is having a deck that curves and playing it efficiently.

I hope this has helped illuminate to you why Hearthstone is the most bland fucking card game ever invented by a human being.
>>
>>332923974
I played both and both are as RNG reliant as the other... IF were talking online play.

Half the games I played a MtG game online were decided because either me or my opponent had lands issue (not enough or too much)
>>
>>332923974
> bunch of 3/3
>they all take 1 dmg
>Behold - the might of Stormwind!
>become 4/3
>destroy Stormwind champion
>back to being 3/3s
>>
File: 233[1].jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
233[1].jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>332929458
>I hope this has helped illuminate to you why Hearthstone is the most bland fucking card game ever invented by a human being.

yeah thanks. All this makes me that much more excited for the 2 Shadows over Innistrad prereleases I'm going to today.
>>
Duelyst is the right answer.
>>
>>332929790
bring us victory or bring us death, son.

>>332929820
after what they did to Vetruvian, I doubt it.
>>
>all creatures have wither
What?
>>
I'm just getting into MTG and plating against the AI in XMage and Forge. Shit is fun as fuck. I'm having a blast playing my x26 Relentless Rats deck

and when the bullshit becomes too much I whip out the absurdly broken Black Lotus Eldrazi deck and make the AI suffer
>>
>>332930003
he probably means that creature damage doesn't reset on the next upkeep
>>
File: 90[1].jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
90[1].jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>332930003
In magic, damage goes away at the end of the turn. Say a 2/4 blocks another 2/4. In Magic, both take 2 damage and next turn they're back to normal. In hearthstone, the damage stays on and now they're both 2/2s. So I guess it isn't quite the same as wither, but when I first saw combat in Hearthstone I had to rethink everything I knew.
>>
>>332930206
Oh, right, I got confused because of the attack drop.
>>
>>332930214
Hearthstone damage is more comparable with -0/-x counters where x is the damage of the weapon/spell/minion
>>
>>332929534
>both are as RNG reliant

I've played both extensively and you're full of shit, friend.

RNG is a core aspect of Hearthstone that goes beyond drawing the right cards at the right time. Some of the strongest and most played cards in the game have some sort of an RNG factor built in (Boom, Shredder, Juggler, Flamewaker, Implosion, Esportal, etc.), if players are of equal skill level - the outcome of the game will often be decided entirely by dice rolls.

It's true that Magic also has coin-flipping and dice rolling, but cards with these mechanics are incredibly rare and almost never played in any serious capacity. Also magic has plenty of mechanics that allow the player to mitigate RNG - such as deck ordering and tutor-like deck searching effects, as opposed to Hearthstone, which has and probably never will have anything similar.
>>
Give me some fun mtg deck ideas
>>
File: kbp_shadowverse_game1.png (293 KB, 435x273) Image search: [Google]
kbp_shadowverse_game1.png
293 KB, 435x273
>nobody cares about animu hearthstone

Suffering
>>
>>332930087
What's the best way to play Mtg on a computer?
>>
>>332930968
don't feel too bad, I don't care about animu anything
>>
>>332930968
Probably because it looks like the typical overdesigned chink shit you'd expect from an eastern developer.
>>
>>332930948

Sliver deck
>>
>>332931032
depends on what you want to do

to test decks against the AI you can do Xmage or Forge. Both are free, have full rule simulation and also have multiplayer options

If you want the Officialâ„¢ MTG experience and having to earn and buy/sell cards you can get MTGO

You can also get Tabletop Simulator for thousands of different board game simulations, including deck imports and play with your buddies
>>
>>332930968
I would play it but its mobile only.
>>
File: 230[1].jpg (69 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
230[1].jpg
69 KB, 312x445
>>332930948
Here's an idea for a deck I want to play post-rotation

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-03-16-temur-ramp/
>>
>>332931204
I'm new-ish to MTG but I suspect this is a meme
>>
>>332931421
Slivers have always been fun to play and annoying to play against, I have no idea how fun the new ones are, though.
>>
>>332931421
>I suspect this is a meme
nah, slivers are a casual all-star. My guess is to play WGx and jam in 4x Muscle Sliver, 4x Sinew Sliver, 4x Gemhide Sliver and see where that takes you

http://magiccards.info/query?q=t%3A%22sliver%22&v=card&s=cname
>>
>>332931421
Its great
or it was, propably half of /v/ is younger than this clan
>>
>>332931603
I know WG is white green but what is the x
>>
>>332931341

Actualy it got greenlited on steam a while ago

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635759034
>>
>>332931730
Holy shit you serious? I'm fucking in then, I want to play as that necromancer loli.
>>
>>332931705
any other color. Slivers appear in all 5 colors, so I'd say you should have White and Green as your base and splash a third color for whatever you need.

Blue: Winged Sliver for flying, Dormant Sliver for mass card draw, Telekinetic Sliver for lockdown

Red: Heart Sliver for haste, Homing Sliver for tutoring, Fury Sliver for double strike

Black: Clot sliver, I guess
>>
Game needed instances - something to allow you to react on your opponents turn. Instead we have secrets which are predictable and awful.
>>
>>332929820
>>332929896
duelyst got a really big patch a few days ago, you now only draw 1 card each turn so the game isn't entirely about shitting out two small/medium minions each turn
>>
>>332932136
I think you mean instants. Those would be too complex for the audience they are aiming for. They just want to brainlessly slap things on the table and see bright lights go off.
>>
>>332932136
The idea of secrets is decent but the execution is awful since most of them do generic, boring shit that any other spell in the game already does in one way or another.

Also the fact that only 3 classes have secrets at all is disappointing, to say the least.
>>
File: 1457278882797.gif (638 KB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
1457278882797.gif
638 KB, 300x220
Mostly HS's strategy ceiling is very low.

Since cards are coming out at such a slow rate, people just data-mine the strongest, most mana efficient cards they can and win by efficiency alone.

And in the majority of cases, doing so wins over most creative/tech strategies. So basically you're left with BUILD TOP DECKS ON HEARTHPWN/ICEYVEINS OR ELSE

or make a deck to counter the meta, but good luck pulling it off repeatedly.
>>
>>332932136
> we have secrets which are predictable and awful.

this. I was watching my brother play against a hunter with 2 secrets on board, and he was drawing tons of direct damage spells. He was gobsmacked when I told him not to attack and sure enough after 3 turns of drawing and passing he lost his entire army in one attack.
>>
>>332932136
that would require phases to be introduced, which is not happening
>>
>>332923974
first mistake is playing Arena. It's literally catered towards people who already have a good deck layout to keep winning matches.

You luck out with a really good deck comp? prepare to win constantly against people who get decks that randomize them with 25 cards all 5 cost or higher and the remaining 5 being all wisps.
>>
>>332932445
Hex devs will never make Magic game ;_;
>>
>>332932263
Nah, it's because instants break the flow of the game too much on a computer.
>play spell
>10 second window for your opponent to cast an instant
>play other spell
>10 seconds
>attack with your 4 dudes
>40 seconds
>mandatory triggers like start of turn/draw/etc
>another bunch of seconds
in real life you can't be as obnoxious as online
>>
>>332932524
>Hex
ded game
>>
>>332932524
but... they are already bussy with Hex.
>>
>>332932581
when was the last time you play'd Hex?
>>
File: 1456437572163.gif (1 MB, 305x280) Image search: [Google]
1456437572163.gif
1 MB, 305x280
>>332932323
>Hunter, Mage and Paladin have secrets

>Not just Rogue and Hunter for traps

Cant get a single fucking thing right can you Blizzard? It's not even sticking to the theme of the classes. What secret spell would a paladin hide compared to ambushes and traps from a rogue/hunter

Such a fucking nitpick but god damn muh theme'ing.
>>
>>332932551
In the MTG games you could just press a button to pause if you wanted to answer with an instant. Just have that.
>>
>>332932696
Tried the new PvE campaign. It was complete shit. Went for a draft, stayed in que for 30 minutes because one person would keep leaving then logged out, uninstalled and called the cops.
>>
>>332932696
something like 2 months before Pve dungeons gets introduced. How is it now?
>>
I wish I never played MtG, I probably would have enjoyed Hearthstone. Right now every time I play I just end up thinking "I'd rather play Magic."
>>
>>332932323

Mage secrets are cool. Pally and especially hunter secrets are cancer.
>>
>>332932767
At least you played the damn thing.

>>332932862
...PvE is kind of fun (depending on your concept of fun) but apart of that we still stuck Set 3, they say something about Set 4 comming during this month or shortly after.
>>
>>332930968
love the art but you need alot more than anime tiddies to become my go-to TCG/Digital Card game over MtG.
>>
>>332932738
i've actually played the MtG games on computer since it was bought for me by my friend who dumps his cash into that stuff, it still ends up soaking a lot of time, and people will literally just pause to aggravate the hell out of you at times. Same as the people in Hearthstone who wait till 1 second on the timer to hit end turn every single turn, even when they have 1 card
>>
>>332932263
Instants wouldn't work for phones, I get disconnected too often to react in time to a play.
>>
>>332933023
>Same as the people in Hearthstone who wait till 1 second on the timer to hit end turn every single turn, even when they have 1 card

I play on EU and literally never see these people. What ranks are you playing at?
>>
>>332933107
17-13
>>
File: Aluren.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Aluren.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>332930948
Build legacy miracles, and make everyone hate you.
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=11986&d=268694&f=LE

Pic related has got to be my favorite deck though.
>>
>>332930674
You missed the part about online plays, which no you havent played that much if you even try to argue.

Regardless of skill level and mulligans half the games will be decided by lands draw or lack of. ALL the MtG online games are terrible, it is really a shame.
>>
>>332932704
>priests have all the stealing cards
>paladin has secrets
>rogue has uhhh burst damage I guess??
>>
>>332933664
rogue has combo
>>
>>332933664
rogue has constantly being shit on by the dev team
>>
Hearthstone was my first real card game, having not played MtG or Yugioh
I enjoyed it at first but I got sick of everyone playing the same fucking decks

I played some of the PvE on Infinity Wars and that was really fun, but I got overwhelmed by the sheer number of cards
>>
>>332934821
>I enjoyed it at first but I got sick of everyone playing the same fucking decks

Well, bet you can't wait for Standard then, the mode where everyone will be playing the same 2 decks.
>>
>>332934821
is that game still alive? it keeps receiving updates or anything?
>>
>>332934943
What's Standard? I haven't followed the game since GvG came out

>>332935057
No idea, last time I played it was almost a year back
>>
File: 1356319639327.jpg (10 KB, 137x130) Image search: [Google]
1356319639327.jpg
10 KB, 137x130
>>332923974
HS is more accessible than MTG

I don't know what's more offputting than knowing some MTG cards sell for hundreds or thousands of dollars.
>>
>>332929367
>WOWTCG

I actually had a lot of fun with the Warcraft card game. I even managed to snag a mottled drake loot card which I never got to redeem because I stopped playing in BC.
>>
>>332929367
>>332935357
to this day I maintain that WoW TCG had the best card art of any TCG
>>
>>332935430
that's entirely based on your opinion.
>>
>>332935161
A new game mode where only the expansions realsed in the current year + classic cards are valid. That means Nax and GvG are out.
>>
>>332935570
of course it is
>>
>>332925242
Only a select few charge minions are good in arena. Argent Commander is probably the best one, since it's guaranteed to survive an attack, so you get to kill another minion AND have a 4/2 left on the board.
>>
>>332935216
You arn't wrong there. I'm playing legacy/modern, and if I hadn't gotten into the game 2 years ago, and made some really good spec calls, having my deck banned three times would have pushed me out of the game.
>>
It's a shit game, but it cost less to get into MTG and if your an oldfag like myself who played MTG for over a decade and don't want to go back Hearthstone is really fucking it.

Duel of Champions was better than Hearthstone, but Ubisoft got assblasted it wasn't even coming close to Hearthstone numbers so they pulled the plug.Spellweaver is ok, but you're going to get a "Literally who?" anytime you mention it.

MTG or Hearthstone seems to be the only options these days for a longetivity card game sadly. Duelyst and Cards and Castles are actually cool if you want a board and card style game, both are somewhat expensive to get into tho and are VERY harsh on new f2p players.
>>
>>332935680
>Duel of Champions

The game had solid mechanics, it wasn't supposed to die. I remember it had a pretty jewy collection system, though. For instance, you couldn't use the same copy of a card in multiple decks at once, for a very long time.
>>
>>332923974
Because it doesn't require skill to win like MTG does.
>>
>>332935892

It failed at having a good foundation like Hearthstone. It needed a lot of work even in the years after it released client wise. Scrolls was also a game similar to DoC that was actually good and is dead now as well.

Honestly I hate Hearthstone with a passion because it killed all competition, but I still play it because I need my card itch scratched. If Spellweaver stay strong and gains population and releases on Android so I can play it while watching shows I'll probably swap to Spellweaver or at least play it alongside HS.
>>
>>332935680
there's a project based on Duels of Champions but that shit being able to see the lightanytime soon is something will not happen.
>>
File: gnomoeeee.png (465 KB, 517x517) Image search: [Google]
gnomoeeee.png
465 KB, 517x517
>>332935357
>>332935430
Honestly it was a great game, I bought enough cards to play with my friends and had fun. Too bad blizzard literally canned in the moment they brought out Hearthstone.
>>
>>332923974
>why does a game with completely different mechanics play different?
The only thing similar is that it's resourced on mana, and even that is different because you get it for free and not by tapping lands.
>>
>>332936105

It had a hardcore fan base, I believe it, Ubisoft went full jew on it and the game was already tough on f2p players it just obliterated the population.

It had so many fun and faggoty decks to like 100 card stall decks and mill decks. It was a lot closer to MTG than Hearthstone ever was. All the factions were fun to play, but damn Academy was my favorite.
>>
>>332935680
>cards abd castles
what is this?
>>
>>332935680
>>332935892
>>332936079
Thank fuck i wasn't the only one that remembers Duel of Champions, that game was so much better than Hearthstone.

Sad to hear it died though, didn't know that.
>>
>>332935216
>getting back into mtg
>talk with old friend i used to play mtg with in high school
>he plays HS
>says its good
>install it
>takes forever to get gold
>he tells me to buy expansions and go through PvE
>"what the fuck? that's stupid. i thought this game was free?? buying all the expansions would cost..."

>realize buying everything for HS would cost less than 1 jace, vrynn's prodigy

fucking jace
>>
>>332936506

This is what I did. I realized 300 bucks is all you need to really get into Hearthstone. I spent so much more on MTG it's embarassing. This genre man, gotta have that fix if it's your hook. Could be worse, could be tabletop expensive.
>>
File: 3.jpg (49 KB, 350x483) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
49 KB, 350x483
>>332935430
Oh yeah? Prove it.
>>
The hardest thing I had with MtG was getting all of the fucking TOKENS that all these random cards required.
>>
The only good thing about Hearthstone and why people watch it is so they can go LMAO RNG, ESPORTAL or TOP DICKED whenever something happens. That's literally all the entertainment value in HS.
>>
>>332936392

Duelyst for Android/IOS.

It's pretty good and requires a lot of skill. It's not really for casual players regardless of the artstyle. You'll probably get slaughtered if you don't spend some money at first. They do give you free 2-3 cards every 8 hours tho and I've gotten a fee rares and even an epic over the course of 2 weeks. No card game is truly free unless you're on Cockatrice or something. It's just the nature of how these games are.
>>
attackers choose instead of defenders choosing which makes the strategy a lot less nuanced.

also its baltantly pay to win. Having more legendaries basically gives you the win. Someone with pagel will always beat someone without it. same for dr balanced.
>>
>>332936703
>paying money for digital cards
Why?
>>
Oh hey, people who plays spellweaver. 2 things.
1st, anything related to a new set comming soon? I mean the guys just had the pioneer tourney so I guess now is a perfect time to talk about an expansion or something.
2nd I just unlocked Dominion deck, so far I have Rage, Wisdom and Order, whith which faction Dom relates well? I was thinking maybe wisdom because golem spam and that vampire that eats creatures to make himself bighuge.
>>
>>332936970

>also its baltantly pay to win.

It's hard to use that as an excuse when every card game is like that.

Magic is famous for that
>>
>>332936909
U cereal? I'll pay a look now
another game that I like is mabinogi duel and with a bit of constancy you can earn cards all the days and a pack with rares and mutant cards each couple of days.
>>
>>332936472
Its not 'dead' in terms of ubisoft closing the servers.
Its dead as the playerbase is small as fuck

Also there is maintenance right now since yesterday
>>
>>332937273

I tried to play Maginogo Duels but it ran like ass and crashed all the time on my Nvidia K1. No idea why only game that's done that. Shame too I really liked the style of play.
>>
>>332937451
oh such a shame.
I read somewhere that devcat wants to launch a desktop version anytime soon, so don't lose hope bro.
>>
>>332937135
Magic isn't P2W you moron, its absurdly expensive to play similarly to golf. Theres no benefit towards spending money in the actual game.

I used to play in every legacy GP without owning a deck, I just borrow one from my team and a standard deck from my store.

The difference between HS and MTG is mtg has an actual return on its investment. Both in resell value in your cards and tournament winnings.
>>
File: 1449735103201.png (101 KB, 210x195) Image search: [Google]
1449735103201.png
101 KB, 210x195
>>332937886
>Magic isn't P2W you moron, its absurdly expensive to play similarly to golf.

Good job faggot, this is the most retarded thing i've read this day.
>>
File: Infinity_Wars_Profie1.jpg (404 KB, 1280x721) Image search: [Google]
Infinity_Wars_Profie1.jpg
404 KB, 1280x721
If we are shilling F2P TCG I liked infinity wars at the time
>>
>>332938082
>Golf is P2W because clubs can cost thousands of dollars and I can only afford plastic ones from Target
That is you. You don't understand what the term P2W means.
>>
>>332938207
Pretty ok game. It was P2W as fuck tho, more so than Hearthstone.
>>
>>332924296
>skill does not matter
If you play against pros, with both of you using the same deck, you will lose in 8 games out of 10.
In a game that is only about luck would end up winning about 5 times on average.
This is some next level of delusion, anon.
>>
>Solforge and Hex
>Horrible UI and clunky gameplay

Shame, even if the game has interesting mechanics if it plays like ass you're doomed. Card games need to be more stable and reliable than other games.
>>
>>332938207
Fun game but getting IP in that game is pure pain.
it looks that the game got a update the past month so I suppouse that's good.
>>
Duelyst is a lot of fun at the moment, though obviously very different from a traditional card game.

Hearthstone is trash. It's too simple compared to MTG and I dislike anything to do with Blizzard.
>>
File: 1207263359488.jpg (14 KB, 414x310) Image search: [Google]
1207263359488.jpg
14 KB, 414x310
>>332938538
>Hearthstone
>Pros
>>
>>332938353
Stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>332938557

Solforge was shit, rare were literaly like commons with bigger numbers
>>
>>332938538
That's because they understand the RNG better than the average player, they'll know things like the chances of Knife Juggler hitting face off the top of their head. It's just memory. Saying that makes them more skilled is an excuse.
>>
>>332938683

They added an option where each week you could play with 5 different pre-made deck for free

I thought that was a real nice move toward keeping goodwill with cheapass players
>>
>>332938353
Not that guy, but are you implying that a person who's using a 10 thousand dollar golf club, doesn't have an advantage over a person with a 10 dollar gold club?

P2W literally means gaining advantage by paying money. Buying a powerful card and using it against your friend in a casual mtg match means you're buying power. Buying an expensive golf club means you're buying power, I'm not even applying any negative connotations, just stating facts.
>>
>>332938819
Pro means people doing it professionally, as a source of monetary income. You don't even know that?

>>332938934
>it's not skill, it's uhhh....... MEMORY! not skill!
>>
>>332938934
>it's just memory
What the fuck are you talking about? The chance of knife juggler hitting face is 1/(m+1) with m the amount of enemy minions. That's not memory, that's Statistics 101. Am I a pro now?
>>
>>332938990
that is good then. I said nothing (but I still worried for the player base, I mean why I got the impression that the game didn't received any significant update/set since a good time now?)
>>
>>332937886
>I just borrow one from my team and a standard deck from my store.
And how much does that borrowed deck cost?
>>
File: vial.jpg (44 KB, 200x284) Image search: [Google]
vial.jpg
44 KB, 200x284
>>332937886
What deck did you prefer to play? I'm on DnT.
>>332939004
I'm pretty sure that the idea is that MTG has a lot of competitive formats, and if you don't have the money or cards for one of the more expensive ones, you have lots of cheaper options, that all see a lot of play.
If you don't have the money to play one of the more expensive constructed formats, try pauper, draft, or sealed. Pauper may be my favorite format of all time, its legacy power level for a fraction of the price, and I can swap decks every week if I want to.
>>
>>332939140
>Pro means people doing it professionally, as a source of monetary income
Name one single Hearthstone Pro. And not from streaming, simply from tournaments.

HS has jack shit for money from the tournaments, its actually impossible to play HS professionally.
>>
>>332939140
memory is not a skill, it doesn't take any finesse to write the alphabet down in order over and over
>>
>>332923974
they arent compareable games. One is a very simple game that would probably make a good childrens game if it were rebranded with sesame street characters and the other is an overly complicated game for rich kids.

Hearthstone wins but only because MTG on any competitive level costs more than a coke habit.
>>
>>332936981
>paying money for physical cards
Why?
>>
The difference is it's shit. It's the worst card game I have ever played and I have played a shit ton
>>
>>332939779
Because it's a tangible object. Should I want to I can resell them and get some money back. Or trade with others to get rid of what I don't want and obtain what I do.
Also human interaction is much better than over phones/computers.
>>
>>332939303
>that all see a lot of play.
No they don't. Nobody plays shit like Pauper competitively.
There's tons of EDH that goes on at every store, but none of it's competitive.
You can play draft, but they usually have very low turn outs
>>
>>332939779
Because you can resell them, trade them, jerk off on to them, whatever. Digital cards are essentially worthless.
>>
>>332923974
>What makes Hearthstone so different?
>played MTG for years
>can't answer this question himself

no disruption
very RNG based, even more so than other card ganes
simple mechanics
no graveyard
minimal opponent interactivity

>>332927061
also this, this is why stable decks shit are meta and destroys every other deck aka secret pally
>>
>>332938934
https://youtu.be/KdKqrOtEX1M
>>
>Big name players like cucknard bash the game for how shitty and unbalanced it has gotten and Kibler frequently talks about how the simple resource system is too simple and fucks them from creating cards and giving the game longevity
>YOU DONT UNDERSTAND HOW DEEP AND COMPLEX THE GAME IS LIKE THE PRO PLAYERS I WATCH ON TWITCH
Top kek
>>
>>332939990
>>332939920

So what? It's not like it's a surprise you have to spend money on physical cards in order to play a TCG in person, just like how you have to spend money on digital cards in order to play a TCG online

Theyre different mediums, so honestly who cares about whether or not the cards are real or digital.

And, while you can't resell your hearthstone cards, you can destroy them for dust in order to craft other cards, which you cannot do in a physical card game.
>>
>>332940235
>you can destroy them for dust in order to craft other cards, which you cannot do in a physical card game
Are you literally retarded?

Have you ever heard of trading?
>>
>>332940235
>You can't exchange unwanted cards for other cards with physical
Uhhh
>>
>>332940235
>so honestly who cares about whether or not the cards are real or digital.
I care because it's a tangible object that I can resell at any time and get some money back or trade with others.
>>
>>332940416
>Are you literally retarded?

Oh, so you CAN turn physical cards into dust and use it to create other cards?

I'm afraid you're the retard here
>>
>>332940416

i can't force another player to take my 4 hoggers for his Dr Boom
>>
>>332940574
No, but you can make a chain of trades that result in a Dr Boom.
>>
>>332940574
You can transform 4 hoggers into a magical dust I like to call money and use that to craft whatever card you want.
>>
>>332940671

its not guaranteed. and would take a long time

secondly, CCG =\= TCG
>>
>>332940235
There are a couple of reasons why physical cards are better.

First of all, you have the freedom to use them however you want, which is important in and of itself.

Secondly, no matter what Wizards does down the line, you can play the game you are playing now with those cards if you like. They may be banned from official tournaments, but you will never wake up to find your Jace is completely gutted and your investment now worthless even in casual play.

Thirdly, an online card game can simply end. Blizzard can close down the servers whenever the want, and all your money is gone. Poof! Maybe Blizzard gets shut down, and all that money is down the drain. Even if Wizards was destroyed overnight, everyone could keep playing Magic with their old cards as if nothing had happened.

Next, you have many more options to leverage the value of your cards. You can sell them for money, or trade with someone for cards you want. Trading is interesting, because you can both come out above the relative monetary valuation of the cards you are trading. Dust, on the other hand, is inherently inefficient (on purpose to keep you buying more packs).

I could keep going, but I think you get the point.
>>
>>332940730
>CCG =\= TCG
No shit, but thats the entire point.

Digital cards are strictly worse than physical ones if for no other reason than you don't own your digital copies.
>>
>>332940717

but 4 garbage rares in MTG doesn't make it worth a really good one, even with your magical 'money' as a medium
>>
hearthstone is a brainless game you play while watching tv
>>
>>332940730
I traded all my bulk rares to a guy in one night and got 2 Goyfs.
The only part that took a long time was counting out all actual cards
>>
>>332940980

i forgot that the plural of anecdote is data. my bad
>>
>>332940927
I'm aware of your points and I know they're valid. We can just agree to disagree here and understand that physical and digital card games each have their pros and cons
>>
>>332940964
1 garbage rare has been turned into a $5000 card you retard.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/traderous-instinct-pack-to-power/
>>
>>332931032
My only experience is with OCTGN, and I would recommend it. I have heard positive things about cockatrice too tho.
>>
>>332941124
>that physical and digital card games each have their pros and cons

Yes, just don't try to argue that digital cards have more or even comparable value to physical ones.
>>
>>332941124
The only pros of a digital card game are convenience and ease of access to players (a subset of convenience, but important enough to stand alone).

In general you are being shafted royally, but it is definitely more convenient. You could compare it to cloud-based storage vs local storage.
>>
>>332923974
not so much

The big thing to me and a lot of my friends were that it is a computer game that can be patched and therefore we thought they would never do the stupid shit that magic pulls - with rotating out expansions and then basically selling re-prints of cards you already own

We were so goddamn wrong
>>
>>332939464
Pros very often get most money not from winning but from sponsorship.

>>332939540
You will sit down, prepare, write everything down and still lost in 8 out of 10.
The thing involved in getting them to win vs you is skill.
>>
>>332941317

i don't have to smell my opponent
>>
>>332941458
In a computer game they could quite literally remove 100% of the cards you own overnight and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it, never mind your shit rotating out to a more casual and open format.

I find it hard to believe you actually thought about it at all.
>>
Charge is broken as fuck since defenders can't block face attacks with minions.
>>
At least this thread is kinda better than the YGO threads. here there's some actual disscussion (I think)
>>
>>332941635
it's called Taunt
>>
Control Warrior vs Control Warrior.
You've both played nothing.
You reach 10 cards, which card do you need the least?
>>
>>332941635
While true, most charge minions are overpriced and/or have very low toughness to balance out the inherent power of the ability.
>>
HS is simple and fun, and you can play it ehile taking a shit. It's not fit for competitive play, but it is way cheaper than playing Magic; for starters you can play for free. If you want a TCG to be taken seriously, HS would be the worst possible pick, but then again, TCGs are often luck based to some extent and very expensive to get into.
>>
File: 2jQBr.jpg (199 KB, 1024x764) Image search: [Google]
2jQBr.jpg
199 KB, 1024x764
>>332923974
the biggest difference is attacker chooses blockers and everything has exit battlefield effects i.e. me go face all the time. it's not always that simple but it is surprisingly often for most people coming from mtg
>>
>>332941709
I don't even know what's in my hand.
>>
>>332941881
Everything.
>>
>>332925242
Charge is a good trait and so are battlecry and At The End Of Your Turn effects.
Most charge-creatures suck, except Doomguard (5/7) and Argent Commander
>>
>>332941674
Taunt doesn't stop Charge being a broken mechanic.

>>332941726
They've started to address this issue but it will rear its ugly head again before long.

See: Frothy Patrons, Force Roar and Unleash the Hounds (the beta one)

They're stamping out symptoms and not the root cause.
>>
>>332941709
Coin nothing
>>
>>332941709
If you mean what card I'd play, then Justicar.
>>
>>332940130
>pro gaming
>iPad
Holy fucking shit what a joke
>>
File: IMG_1092.jpg (988 KB, 3236x2264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1092.jpg
988 KB, 3236x2264
>>332941870
>"You will serve me soon enough.."

>"Frostmourne HUNGERS!"
>>
>>332941919
You don't need card draw and taunt minions.
>>
The people who say there is no skill involved are the same type of people who think poker is the same type of game as blackjack or roulette where it's just luck in the end. Yes, obviously there is a huge amount of RNG involved, but you play for the long term, which is exactly why constructed is a pretty decent way to gauge skill. The same few dozen people always end up at the top of the ladder each season because when you make better decisions than your opponents over long periods of time, you will have a higher win rate than them. Just like poker, you are just playing against opponents and trying to make better decisions than them with the cards you have. If you can do that better than them in the long run you will profit and make money. Obviously you can't win every hand/game.
>>
>>332938538
>you will lose in 8 games out of 10.
woah great statistic you pulled out of your ass while admitting RNG is so prevelanbt that you could beat a "pro"
>>
>>332942219
>nice, the art is pretty good.
>>
File: Literally Cancer.png (180 KB, 286x395) Image search: [Google]
Literally Cancer.png
180 KB, 286x395
>>332923974
Hearthstone literally gives you cancer
>>
>>332942889
Thank god secret paladin is going away come standard.
>>
>>332942973
It might still see play in a more control-oriented deck.
>>
>>332942472
"It doesn't require any skill" posters should just be ignored. It happens with almost every game. People tend blame everything that is out of their control for their losses, but never themselves. RNG, gear, bad match up, lag, etc.
>>
>>332943043
No control deck is going to stack secrets
>>
>>332943338
You could get away with running Competitive Spirit, Redemption and Noble Sacrifice. Even with only 3 secrets it's still great value.
>>
>>332941629
No, seriously, we used to play Magic a lot and always tried to keep it balanced e.g. we tried to play Standard etc but magic rotates out cards so goddamn fast it becomes real expensive to keep up.

Hearthstone seemed to have this ambition to not make useless cards and always keep the basic cards for each class viable. I'm genuinely suprised that they during this small amount of time have already released 3 adventures and 3 expansions and soon a fourth (like, it's days away now?).

It would be a much better game if they just slowed the fuck down and balanced shit instead of releasing shit and then don't anything about Dr.Boom, Piloted Shredder etc Just piling problems atop of eachother and then pretending that they can't fix them except with rotating
>>
>>332943461
Go ahead try that.
I am looking forward to seeing you get fucking rekted. The power of MC comes from avenge + noble sac.
>>
>>332942219
The balancing is ridiculously off on some of these.

>Winters March
Utter trash, absolutely unplayable.
>Flesh Giant
Extremely situational, completely unplayable vs control
>Invincible
Why would this even exist
>Master's call
Doesn't give charge - It's trash
>Treachery
Why

>Ice Plateau
A better card than an existing class card
>Awakening
Broken
>Ner'Zhul
Broken
>Frostmourne
What's the point of gaining durability if the weapon can't be destroyed?

Pretty shit attempt, but the art's nice.
>>
>>332923974
Atleast MTG used to be good for a good decade before being shit. HS was shit on day one.
>>
>>332943495
Rotation is only once a year. How is that too fast for you?
>>
File: 14.jpg (136 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
136 KB, 800x600
Most complexity in Hearthstone comes from knowing the meta decks thoroughly and anticipating what your opponent might play or have in hand, the actual gameplay skill ceiling is pretty low once you know all of the useful cards and there very often is a clearly optimal play to make each turn
>>
>>332942219
Ner'Zhul sucks
>>
>>332943461
>Running Redemption and Noble Sac
>Great value
:^)
>>
>>332943729
Shadow Madness also doesn't specify it gives charge but it does.
>>
>>332943235
""It doesn't require any skill" posters should just be ignored." should be ignored. RNG is everywhere. statistically you can forfeit everytime you don't start and get the same win/loss ratio as a world champion.
>>
>won a game because I didn't run a 3/2 ooze into a noble sacrifice
100% Skill game.
>>
>>332943729
>Frostmourne
>What's the point of gaining durability if the weapon can't be destroyed?

It probably breaks from the durability loss, im guessing your encouraged to clear creeps then face, creeps, then face.
>>
>>332943729
Ice Plateau is not better than frost Nova as it freezes your own minions too.

And you forgot to complain about how Dark Command is shit because there's always a chance that it just hits face.
>>
>>332943854
You're right, my bad.
>>
>>332923974
Magic isn't 99.9% RNG

>B-but card draw
Call me when over 75% of magics cards have the word "random" in them
>>
>>332943729
Treachery is probably for lethal or something. attack with creep then re use attack, its like wind-fury but you guarantee the second damage hits. IDK MAN
>>
>>332943874
What?
>>
>>332943739
It's four expansions per year
>>
>>332942219
Cursed treasure hunter is amazing, i wish this was actually in the game
>>
>>332944138
It's worse than Windfury in almost every single way.
>>
>>332944249
It'd be shit, because when a minion deals damage it loses stealth, even if it's not an attack. Try stealthing Ragnaros, Knife Juggler, Spawn of Shadows or a Flamewaker, see how it works out.
>>
>>332944252
Yeah its shit but that one single way is what its for.

example hemet nesingwary
>>
every class should have secrets
>>
File: Eater of Secrets.png (419 KB, 400x543) Image search: [Google]
Eater of Secrets.png
419 KB, 400x543
>>332942973
>>332943043
It baffles my mind that they printed Mysterious Challenger without printing a hard counter first. Even worse maybe they thought Kazen Mystic was a hard counter.
>>
>>332944373
Hemet Nesingwary isn't overstatted by 4 fucking mana and is a neutral.
>>
>>332944354
Its obviously for milling friend.
>>
>>332944187
Just cuz new cards come out it doesn't mean you have to use them.
I didn't add any Oath cards to my Jeskai Black list for like 5 weeks and still topped at FNM's.
>>
>>332943771
Every fucking time I play midrange druid on ladder I lose. This has been happening recently. I blame the new sea giant warlock.
>>
>>332944465
chill nigga i didnt make it.
>>
>tfw the Pokemon TCG actually has less RNG than hearthstone and has a much much better online system allowing trades and having things to do besides grind to legend for a cardback
>>
>>332944534
>zoo
>new
>>
>>332936970
wrong. Zoo lock is a tier 1 deck and that can cost less than 2k dust to make viable.
Meanwhile, one of the heaviest legendary decks, control warrior is a tier 2 deck costing between 4-6k dust. (roughly)
>>
>>332944781
It has dark peddler, so it's automatically a "new" zoolock.
>>
>>332936970
>someone with pagle will always beat someone without it
How to spot someone who hasn't played in 2 years
>>
>>332944923
>costing between 4-6k dust
Heh, if only. A typical control wallet warrior deck costs around 10k dust.
>>
I can build the fattest of wallet warriors, but i lack baron geddon and ysera. I guess those two are the next on my craft list.
>>
>>332944447
what is flare
>>
>>332945181
sounds like you better geddon with it
>>
>>332945181
Good luck not shedding a tear when you're being rushed down by 1k dust deck aggro shitters.
>>
>>332945070
shit sorry, I had the patron deck up which is ~4k

yeah, control warrior is crazy high cost and gets shat on a lot in this meta.
>>
People netdecking or using online meta is a cancer on all types of games
>>
File: 1398715400603.jpg (32 KB, 312x342) Image search: [Google]
1398715400603.jpg
32 KB, 312x342
>>332936703
>300 bucks is all you need to really get into Hearthstone
>>
>>332945351
probably mad because your snowflake divine spirit deck doesn't work
>>
>>332945292
Feels bad man. Feels bad knowing my winrate increases when I switch to bullshit aggro decks.
>>
>>332945247
Not Neutral is what it is
>>
>>332945464
mad that I'm playing the same decks each time I bother to log on
>>
reminder that this game is shit and not balanced
>>
>Hearthstone is braindead RNG trash
>Magic is slowly being strangled to death by Wizards retarded policies
>everything else is Bushiroad garbage or dead
Where were you when Yugioh was now the undisputed best card game?
>>
>>332945609
Amazing rank 20 plays there, friend.
>>
>>332945609
>rank 21
alamo
>>
>>332945464
No, it's just annoying how you can't exit the meta.
>>
>>332945609
>actual shieldbearer
kek
>>
>>332945609
>rank 20 niche deck gets his once in 50 games combo
>>
>>332945504
but looking up the best builds/gun loadouts/talent trees/build orders has been around for decades, why haven't you died from all the cancer yet? why complain now?
>>
>>332945623
Force of weebs is better than yugioh.
>>
>>332942597
Either you accept my estimate or you don't.
The thing you posted only make you look like an idiot.
>>
>>332945623
>Where were you when Yugioh was now the undisputed best card game?

I was sitting at home, not playing a shitty weaboo game made for 13 year olds.
>>
>>332945695
>first day of the season
i mean i dont really play the game(i think rank 13 is around where i usually peak) but the game is utter trash
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.