[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Rift services are always-on >by installing them you agree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 11
>Rift services are always-on
>by installing them you agree the ToS
>it collects data from software, cam and mic and sends it to Facebook to sell to third-party for better marketing
>you can't stop the process or the Rift won't work

Thanks Facebook!
>>
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/legal/privacy-policy/
>>
>>332754669
>put a firewall
Learn how to deal with 1984.
>>
>>332757313
Doesn't work
>>
>>332757774
You need to be allways online just to make that shit work in offline games?
I can smell the same shitstorm as xbone.
DROPED.
>>
>>332754669
>cam and mic
Are you making shit up? OR didn't come with either of these.
>>
>>332758651
>i want the HMD only
>it comes with all that shit i dont like, and i have to pay for it anyways.

This people really are the worst jews on the market.
>4 the gamers
>>
>>332758885
I repeat, what camera and mic?
>>
>>332758941
The mic in the head set and the camera needed to track the IR lights in the headset.
>>
>>332759195
There is no mic in the headset and the camera tracks the headset, it's not an actual camera that takes pictures of you. Stop spreading retarded rumors.
>>
>>332758941
Look at OP´s pic
That shit with a stand its the camera, they say its IR only, but i dont buy that shit, a regular webcam can see IR, so its just a webcam, or it can be used as one.

>from google
The Rift features an integrated VR audio system designed to convince your ears that you’re truly there. The integrated headphones are also removable in case you want to use your own.

It also incorporates a high quality internal microphone for social experiences.
>social
>>
>>332759556
see
>>332759592
>>
>>332759667
Don't drop your tinfoil hat on the way out.
>>
>>332759592
>they say its IR only, but i dont buy that shit
That's stupid, then. They do high precision low latency tracking with that camera. This means they only want to see the wavelengths their diodes emit, to make the images they get as simple as possible, and for that they need to put a filter in front of the camera. You can't turn off a filter.
As for the microphone, just going to add that the Vive has one too, and that it'll probably end up being very important. I don't think I've heard specifics about the PSVR, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have one.
>>
>>332762737
This shit is ruled by costs Elise

the most simple solution is allways the best.
Take of the headphones and just cut the mic cable, and fuck it.
>inb4 you need to say "mcdonalds" to play this game
>>
>>332759592
The rift ended up not having a port to attach third party headphones. Either you use a wireless headset, or you deal with the rift's on-ears.
>>
>>332763284
That seems like a bad idea to me. Odds are that some of the best VR games (or experiences, or whatever) will be of the multiplayer/social kind, and the microphone will be absolutely essential for them.
Also you'd have to take the headset apart to cut that cable.
>>
>>332759592
>they say its IR only
which means perfectly accurate black and white video.
>>
the only time you need to be online is at the setup, you can play downloaded games offline all you want.
>>
>>332763612
Or you run a second cable along the headset's. Kind of messy, but it might work. Maybe tape them together or something.
But really, I hear those headphones are pretty good, both in terms of sound quality and of unobtrusiveness.
>>
>>332763758
Can't play multiplayer games offline.
>>
File: 1336564073581.png (11 KB, 314x407) Image search: [Google]
1336564073581.png
11 KB, 314x407
>>332763886
you can play online multiplayer games offline? what a shock.
>>
>>332763612
I have a DK2 now, and i use a in ear buds, and an extension cable to reach the case.
rift straps fucks up any big headset because how they go through the ears.

>>332763664
>its aimed for facecucks and casuals.
All i see is ALLWAYS ONLINE and SOCIAL.

Fucking hate this shit.
>>
File: laugh.gif (7 KB, 490x405) Image search: [Google]
laugh.gif
7 KB, 490x405
>>332754669
>people expected anything else
>>
>>332764043
Kind of boggles my mind that people would be surprised at the idea of multiplayer/social VR. I mean, that's what your metaverse or your cyberspace or the fucking Matrix were all about. And I'd say Toybox proved pretty conclusively that it can work.
>>
>>332755198
that only covers the website privacy policy.
>>
>>332758941
There is an IR camera, but it can be used to take almost similar pics as with a regular webcam. Google Rift IR camera hack or something, people have been posting pics since the DK1.

There is an integrated mic on the HMD. It's a really high quality and ensures that everyone will have the same sound quality and volume levels. But on the other hand it can't be manually turned off and like OP said FB can record you all they want

>>332763758
Wrong. The Runtime must be up an running when you play Rift games. If you close it it will still start when you launch the application. Also there are the FB processes running in the background
>>
>>332763664
Plug in your own mic you stupid whore
>>
>Another working day in facebook corp.
>data analysis department
>"Ugggh call me senpai again sister, uggghhhh, say it!"
>Damn, this guy again. Hentai games and sex dolls i guess.
>>
>>332764451
The runtime isn't connected to the internet, at least the last versions were not. This is like complaining that you need to have a nvida driver running to be able to run your GPU. The runtime has existed since the DK1, and now you people make a fuss about it? What the fuck?

Can't say anything about the FB processes, first time I heard of it.
>>
>>332764596
That's another thing you need to strap to your head, and another cable to run. No thank you. Just get a Vive.
>>
File: 1444190768155.jpg (207 KB, 692x960) Image search: [Google]
1444190768155.jpg
207 KB, 692x960
>>332754669
>>it collects data from software, cam and mic and sends it to Facebook to sell to third-party for better marketing
so people jacking off to lolis is gonna be sent to ads
fbi vans everywhere
>>
Well, who the fuck even cares about the oculus rift?
it sucks fucking dick, htc vive is better

-----------------------------------------------------
Add me on steam: xxquickscopahxx
post this in your sig if you support gamergate and are proud of it
>>
>>332764323
I dont under estimate the potential of those "new" ideas, if someone good comes from it, its ok.
But ill know they were created arround the idea of a "wider audience", "social integration" and it might be childish or just plain stupid.
What i aim for, is to improve the existing games. there are lots of games to replay with this, aside from racing or flying sims.
>crysis 1 with extreme inmersive mod
>darkest of days
>mount and blade
>thief deadly shadows (with the newest fixes)

Thats why i really dont see why they are desperate to create something to do with it, when there is already a fuck ton of shit to do.
>>
>>332764810
>using the shitry mic or headphones that comes with either of these headsets

Might well be talking through 98 phone receiver
>>
File: 1b1.jpg (20 KB, 386x338) Image search: [Google]
1b1.jpg
20 KB, 386x338
Why does a fucking face monitor need to be always online in the first place?
>>
>>332765050
good question kate
>>
>>332764935
Here's a recording made with the Rift's microphone:
https://soundcloud.com/kirkhamilton/rift-mic-test
Here's one made with the Vive's, during the actual gameplay footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCXoPKO6VeQ
>>
You should have all seen this kinda shit coming literally the second facebook was involved with decision making.

You cannot be surprised at all whatsoever. You also cannot be outraged or angry because the second facebook was involved, anyone who matters would have stopped caring about the product immediately.
>>
File: 1453823606586.jpg (36 KB, 534x534) Image search: [Google]
1453823606586.jpg
36 KB, 534x534
>>332764935
The Microphone included is actually pretty impressive, though I wouldn't want to use it over an actual microphone
>>332765173
Jesus fuck the vive sounds awful
>>
>>332765567

Honestly, I can't tell if it's the microphone quality or her damn accent.
>>
>>332765567
>Jesus fuck the vive sounds awful
I think it sounds fine. Only the very beginning sounded a bit worse than regular, for the rest I was trying to hear artifacts and things but I didn't hear shit.
>>
>>332765567
Well, the point of them being included in the headset is that you can use them wherever you're looking, and the point of the headset is that you can look wherever you want. Makes sense to me.
>>
>>332764701
That's new in the CV1 Runtime. Surely there will be some hacks around it, but as of now the FB process is tied to the Rift Runtime that needs to be on for the games.

>>332764935
The mic is probably better than 99% of /v/'s mics, and the headphones almost hifi.
>>
>>332764913
The problem with those is the motion sickness. First person games are pretty terrible with it because they require lots of moving and that kind of movement makes you sick.
Something like Mountain Blade could be cool from a God-tier or tabletop-perspective
>>
>>332766480
I think a tabletop perspective VR Dwarf Fortress visualizer could be pretty neat.
>>
>>332766643
It is. There is this one Dark Souls like game that's cool as fuck.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEe_etrPucs
>>
>>332766480
You don't necessarily become sick by moving with the left analogue stick while you're sitting with a Rift on.
>>
>>332767584
You do. Or at least most normal people will, and that's bad.
>>
>>332766480
I never had motion sickness, i dont understand why people have that.
Ive been using HMD´s for 5 years now.
>>
>>332767867
I've seen footage of people playing a game like that without getting sick. Are those superhumans then?
There is no reason to assume everybody gets sick by those circumstances. Aside from a very small test in VR companies.
>>
>>332767984
>this is aimed to a wide audience
>that includes all kinds of inbreed people
>that means they will develop this for brain damaged people
>>
>>332767984
>>332767868
I don't think the problem is everybody getting sick. The problem is enough people getting sick for the people making the game not wanting to risk it.
I mean, that official Minecraft demo really wasn't that intense, movement-wise, and it still affected some people.
>>
>>332768232
Well, sure. But catering to a wider audience has always been bad, and devs shouldn't diminish their games just to do it. I hope there will be enough that make normal movement games.
>>
>>332768180
Yeah, like Michael Abrash. What a retard.
Resistance to sim sickness varies among the population, that's just a fact.
>>
>>332767868
>i dont understand why people have that.
Just a natural reaction of misinformation between what eyes see and motion sensors in ears feel. Brain thinks it's not correct and one explanation is poison and it tries to make you vomit

>>332767984
Because
1. There are people who never get sick
2. Many people can stand it for minutes or hours but still get sick after long sessions

VR is aimed for mass market, it's not enough even if some people get sick. None should get.
>>
>>332768386
>VR is aimed for mass market, it's not enough even if some people get sick. None should get.
No, fuck that shit.
Especially at this point, it's fucking niche mate.
>>
>VR
>>
>>332768689
>BR
huehuehue
>>
>>332768572
With retards like you VR must be extremely careful to success. If they'd release games that make some people sick, then normies play then (normies and women are more prone to the s sickness than male gamers), they get sick and won't buy a headset
>>
>>332768808
Or worse tell friends and release articles saying how shitty VR is because it makes you sick
>>
>>332768808
I have no idea what you're saying. There's no problem with not everybody pandering to everybody though.
>>
>>332768808
The idea of comfort ratings seems pretty good to me. Does steam have something like that, too?
>>
>>332769036
> steam
> putting effort into anything
How's that greenlight/early access shit going again?
>>
>>332768946
There is though. VR is too small and expensive if it was targeted only to gamers. People are even now complaining of the lack of content.

And even then there are gamers who get motion sickness. That leaves a pretty small audience

>>332769036
The comfort rating is good, but for some reason they're really wrong. There are terrible games that have "pretty comfortable" rating.
>>
I don't want to post, because knowing my luck I'm going to turn out to be Anthony Burch, but here goes.

What stuff has everyone downloaded to be ready to try stuff out with their vr headsets? I want to get some programs that people made, I don't want to get my vive and not have anything to do with it right away.
>>
>>332768386
>Brain thinks it's not correct and one explanation is poison and it tries to make you vomit
then, get gud.
>>
>>332769136
I dunno, I hear the Steam VR overlay stuff works well.
Or is your point less about the functionality and more that they wouldn't be able to rate all that stuff on greenlight and whatnot? Maybe they could just put all of those into an extra rating. "Proceed at your own risk" type of thing.
>>
>>332764451
Great, so Facebook is filming people masturbating without their knowledge and sending it to advertisers. This is the world we live in now.
>>
>>332769365
>There are terrible games that have "pretty comfortable" rating.
Can you give me some examples?
>>
>>332769365
>VR is too small and expensive if it was targeted only to gamers.
I'm not saying it should only target to gamers. I'm saying not everything should target everybody. So there's no problem with a decent amount of games being "sick" inducing for these "casuals".
So no, there is not.
>>
>>332769395
I've tried, and by playing with the Rift DK1 I endure not getting sick longer
>>
>>332754669

All it does is make it so you can stream or post to facebook.
>>
>>332769540
Can't remember exact titles and too lazy to start to browse them on my phone, but I can look into it later

>>332769576
>there's no problem
Yes there is, read what I just said. The amount of people not getting sick is too low and you either release games that make people sick or don't release them at all. Rift needs to be targeted at everone for VR to succeed
>>
>>332770058
>Yes there is, read what I just said.
I already debunked that, you can't just say that while not reading the rest of my post.

>The amount of people not getting sick is too low
What? But most games released now don't allow you to move freely already. What are you basing this on?

>and you either release games that make people sick or don't release them at all.
Or make it so it doesn't make you sick, that's another options.

>Rift needs to be targeted at everone for VR to succeed
No, I think there's a place for games that are targeted at the "hardcore" crowd. There's no reason to think otherwise.
>>
>>332770351
>No, I think there's a place for games that are targeted at the "hardcore" crowd.
that point seems kind of moot because being a member of the hardcore crowd does not mean being immune to sim sickness
>>
>>332770482
I said "hardcore" because I did not meant actual hardcore people, but people that can handle that sort of movement. It was more concise, and I thought that people on here would be not stupid enough to get that.
I'm sorry for overestimating you.
>>
>>332770607
>People should be smart enough to understand even when I misuse a word with a unreleated well understood meaning
You're such a fucking thespian, anon
>>
>>332769540
Vox Machinae, Windlands, Doors of Silence, Flying Aces VR, Lunar Flight etc.

They're not the worst but all have 4 or 5 star comfort rating
>>
>>332770842
Wow, you still don't fucking see the point of the quotes? Man, and to think I was actually trying to reason with you.
>>
>>332770607
And how do people tell they're "hardcore"? You know every normie will try out a game that says "Only for hardcore people", then get sick and say VR is shit
>>
>>332770607
>Rift should be marketed to people without motion sickness

Gee, what a clear and measurable demographic. I'll tell the board ASAP that we're going to market our product towards a market segment that we don't and can't know the size of.
>>
>>332754669
Very creepy
>>
>>332771034
>And how do people tell they're "hardcore"?
Trying it out probably.

>You know every normie will try out a game that says "Only for hardcore people", then get sick and say VR is shit
No, I do not know that. Neither do you. And that warning label seems flawed.
>>332771048
What's the problem with taking a group like that along as a targeted demographic?
>>
File: oculus_games_price.jpg (116 KB, 800x897) Image search: [Google]
oculus_games_price.jpg
116 KB, 800x897
>>332770917
I thought the comfort rating only had three levels. Do they use different systems in different places?
>>
>>332771201
Explain to me how you'll explain to your boss that you want to also market your product to a demographic that you don't and can't know the size of.
>>
>>332771427
Why would I do that? I wouldn't ever be in such a position. What's the point of trying to come up with some marketing shit like that?
>>
>>332771213
Oh, that's the launch lineup and reviewed by Oculus. But on Oculus Share anyone can rate the game and the comfort 1-5 stars
>>
>>332771501
>What's the problem with taking a group like that along as a targeted demographic?
>>
>>332771501
Ok that's just plain baiting
>>
>>332771649
Who are you quoting? Definitely not me because I didn't say or imply that. Please don't include my post number unless you're actually responding to me.
>>332771679
No, I just want to know why I would go through effort to do something when there is no reason to do that.
>>
>>332771012

You said hardcore which means hardcore gamers. It gets thrown in quotes here from tumblrina casuals all the time.

Learn our culture before you make up your own definitions of things.
>>
>>332771861
>You said hardcore
No I did not.

>It gets thrown in quotes here from tumblrina casuals all the time.
But even then it would mean another thing altogether. Clearly you didn't think that either, so that's not the problem.
>>
>>332771536
Oculus Share is basically their version of Early Access, right? Does that mean that if a game gets out of that, it'll get an official rating?
>>
File: 1459504166581.jpg (32 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1459504166581.jpg
32 KB, 375x375
>Buying a piece of hardware made for data tracking
Fucking. Retarded. Either buy the HTC or neither.
>>
>>332771759
Because anyone can explain why it is a good reason to target something to the demographic X because X is actually measureable and well known. "Prone to VR motion sickess" is not.

>>332772027
No, it's just an official website where you can upload VR games
>>
>>332771759
>>332771969
2/10
got me to reply
work on your subtlety.
>>
>>332772132
>Because anyone can explain why it is a good reason to target something to the demographic X because X is actually measureable and well known.
I'm sorry, how does this make sense? How does it matter that one thing is easy, when you're talking about something else? There is no reason to assume they are connected, or even that the one that's less easy to explain would be worse though that's not the problem at hand.

>"Prone to VR motion sickess" is not.
Okay?
>>332772162
Sure, just dismiss it as bait. That makes you look like not a retard.

There is no reason there shouldn't be games that target the small (or the equivalent "hardcore") crowd that doesn't get motionsick.
>>
Has anyone gotten their OR shipped yet? What's taking so long?
>>
>>332758273
the service runs in background even after you quit all other occulus related programs, there's also no indication that it's running (can't see it in tray or task manager)
>>
>>332772464
>Sure, just dismiss it as bait. That makes you look like not a retard.
every time.

you had it going there at the beginning, but you're supposed to ignore people like
>>332771427 and >>332771649
responding to those contributes nothing to the illusion that you still have a clue
the good grammar can be convincing, but it also works against you when feigning ignorance and deflecting
when the central argument is refuted, ignore it
>>
>>332771213
>job simulator
MY FUCKING SIDES HOLY SHIT
They know their audience.
>>
>>332773725
Huh. I honestly thought that was a Vive exclusive. Didn't know it was coming to Touch.
>>
>>332773725
It actually looks kinda cool
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhh4dA-V2os

Too bad Oculus is retard and doesn't release the Touch controllers in months
>>
File: torture[1].jpg (90 KB, 475x304) Image search: [Google]
torture[1].jpg
90 KB, 475x304
>>332773967
>job interview in 15 years will be like this
Surgeon simulator could have an improvement, and have better stuff than that.
>any medical harware in my hand to make a heart operation
HA
>>
>>332761692
Salty
>>
ok
>>
>>332774396
Is that buttplug torture or some shit? Looks like it's designed to stretch out your ass.
>>
>>332775487
If you reverse google it, you will se, but its one of many ideas of what do with VR, playing the crazy medic scientist and make a frankenstein monster but you need to craft it, cut it, and give it life. That would be nice, for a level, not for an entire game, thats the biggest issue with this, they are forcing ideas into a whole game, instead of insert it in the peak of an adapted one.

Im not the ideas guy, but this people man, i swear to god.
>>
>>332775837
I'm not sure what you're on but I think you've had enough for now.
>>
>He bought a Rift

KEK LMAO
>>
>>332775984
TL;DR
How to implement VR?
>>
>>332776082
He bought something at launch
Ill wait like 3 months to let the forums fill with answers of the most common problems, and see if there is any failure or issue of some kind.
then decide and buy it.

But yea, people preordered this, also smarter and richier people bought both, and they will sell the one they dont like.
>>
File: 4mnpRDY.jpg (896 KB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
4mnpRDY.jpg
896 KB, 3024x4032
>pass the Rift bro
>and the Doritos
>>
>>332754669
Oculus Store works like Steam or Origin.
You don't need to install it to use a Rift.
>>
>>332777742
Oh wow that's going to be so shitty. They should've at least make it removable
Vive plastic all the way
>>
>>332777970
No, but you need the Runtime drivers
>>
>>332777742
>1 month later
>white-brownish dirt all over the cloth
>>
File: nowai.jpg (494 KB, 1924x1080) Image search: [Google]
nowai.jpg
494 KB, 1924x1080
I dunno if anyone else has noticed this. Dont want to make a thread just for it because it's probably nothing. I just noticed it when I went to pre-order ME:C
Again, probably nothing, but retailers do leak stuff quite often...

I think we can all agree if there's one game that needs VR, it's this one
>>
>>332777742
Best part is how they were advertising the new fabric they invented just for the rift.
>>
>>332778804
>when I went to pre-order ME:C
Ew, why?
>>
>>332777742
Toothbrush. Water and dishsoap.
Dip brush in solution, shake off, scrub lightly. Wipe with rag.
>>
>>332778804
False alarm, says it on every ps4 game page.
I'll return to my autistic business.
>>
>>332779131
on the long run that will be as useless as this
https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/527590650748621
>>
>>332779402
>on the long run
What does that even mean? Don't bother cleaning it because it'll just get dirty again? Sound reasoning.
>>
>>332778804
ME1 already works with third-party programs. And the running and spinning and moving is pretty nauceating. Though the heights look good, there are already some demos that make you walk in some high plank and stuff
>>
>>332779636
Cloth will wear out, so cleaning it wich such intensity it's not an option. Also you are talking about a method that works with dry residue, but not with the oily dirt that accumulates with time.

Don't you have any old gamepad with rubber parts? You can't keep those parts clean forever.
>>
>>332780028
>such intensity
Lightly scrubbing with a toothbrush? Yeah, it'll take your skin off.
>Also you are talking about a method that works with dry residue, but not with the oily dirt that accumulates with time
That's the method I use to get the skin and pussy juices out of mesh car seats. Trust me, it works.
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.