[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just how important is it that I play the first two games before
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
Just how important is it that I play the first two games before playing this game?

I started the first game but the gameplay is just so terrible. Does it at least get better in the second game?
>>
They're old games, what do you expect.
Gameplay is much smoother in the second game, but the permanent gripping atmosphere and batshit insane story is replaced by a generic fantasy one.

Characters
1 > 3 > 2
Story
1 > 3 > 2
Gameplay
3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1
>>
>>332743713
>I started the first game but the gameplay is just so terrible

Stick with it. Suffering is part of the experience. If you can't sit through the best game why even bother playing the worst?
>>
File: Drakengard II (USA)_screencap1.jpg (55 KB, 639x447) Image search: [Google]
Drakengard II (USA)_screencap1.jpg
55 KB, 639x447
>>332744301
And 2 had its moments, mostly when they involve Caim and Angelus.

;_;
>>
>>332744301
Why are you rating Nier so low in characters and storyline?
>>
>>332743713
>I started the first game but the gameplay is just so terrible.
Suffering is part of the experience, mate. Just wait until Ending E.

Also the 3rd game is a prequel.
>>
>>332744476
I didn't even mention Nier.
Characters and story are better than 3 but still not better than 1. Gameplay is worse than 3.
>>
>>332744301
>They're old games, what do you expect.
That's a dumb excuse.

>>332744350
I'll give it a few more hours I guess. I'm kind of fine with the land battles but the dragon segments are just so bad. Also, why is Drakengard 3 the worst?
>>
>>332744570
>why is Drakengard 3 the worst?
I think he meant 2.
3 is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>332744620
>3 is fucking hilarious.

I didn't find any of it funny. I just found it all boring.
1 > Nier > 3.

3 has worst music, worst story, worst characters, worst pay off (all of the endings are bad. Every single one.)
>>
>>332744713
Maybe for you. I liked everything you listed.
>>
>>332744713
The final boss in D path, that fucking DDR thing, had great music.
>>
>>332744713
I found the character banter really fun, especially with the Japanese voices, and the combat didn't get old fast like in Nier.
The only real complaint about the game I have is as you said, the endings and the framerate drops.
Music wasn't that bad, certainly not as good as Nier, but loads better than DoD1 and DoD2.
>>
File: 57W0fpH.png (398 KB, 800x425) Image search: [Google]
57W0fpH.png
398 KB, 800x425
Caim and Angel are the best things to come out of this franchise.
>>
Not important at all but you'll get Taro at his weakest. DoD 1 is his best.
>>
Read your weapon history, faggot.
That's 20% of the game.
>>
>>332744898
>>332744890
>>332744804

I might be a bit harsh on the game, and it's not like I have an intense loathing for it or anything, I just feel like the whole thing was pointless. It was cool to get a bit more backstory on the world - I liked all that. That was great. I just did not give two knobs of goat shit about the idol angle, and for the most part I felt that every single scene in the game could described with "for some reason," tagged onto it.

For example and then she makes a pact, that she shouldn't know how to do, with the dragon and turns into a baby... for some reason.
>>
>>332745462
Is this like... your first Drakenguard?
>>
>>332745462
This is not new, every Taro game has its own supplementary material to fill in the stuff the game didn't include.
>>
>>332745623
There's a difference between DOD1 and DOD3's writing. With DOD1 pacts are just there. You can assume that people know how to do pacts with things because there are so many pact partners.
In DoD3 we see the very first one. She recites a bunch of shit that means...?.... and forms a pact. It doesn't make sense. In DoD1 I can accept that people know how to perform a pact but in DoD3 I expect more.

>>332745676
DoD1/Nier stand perfectly fine on their own. DoD3 absolutely doesn't. It isn't that DoD3 doesn't make sense on its own (some parts of it don't) but the story is just flat out bad. DoD1 might have a nonsensical out of order chaotic mess of a story but, being the first game in the series and not having a huge amount of story connected to it, the story stands just fine on its own two legs.
>>
>>332745927
You do realise that the protagonist has done a pact before, right? Also pacts have always been something that is just inherently done.
>>
>>332745927
Nier absolutely does not stand on its own, you can gleam almost no info from the game itself concerning the past events, Grotesque Queen, Angelus, Red Eyes, Legion, Shadowlord, etc, all had to be read afterwards, and these things are pretty big parts of the setting that are minimally explained.
DoD1 stands on its own, but DoD2 answers some settings questions that were there.
>>
File: hmmph.jpg (148 KB, 483x543) Image search: [Google]
hmmph.jpg
148 KB, 483x543
>>332743713
>playing Drakengard for the gameplay
>>
>>332743713
Its very important. Play first on every ending or you wont understand shit. First drakengard is a very good game. Literally Citizen Kane of vidyagames. Nier is much worse than it.
>>
>>332744713
It may just be me, but going around the world murdering your sisters 'because reasons' with 4 horny and useless faggots with nonsensical and inappropriate comment all presented in a comedic way(even the killings) was just too fun to me, it's like I was watching an interactive anime.
>>
>>332746850
It's not just you, DoD 3 brought in anime-loving friends to the community. DoD 2 also had its "literally anime" moments but it never had the impact DoD 3 managed to create. Back when it was DoD1 only, we were alone along with my edgy brothers. NieR introduced normalfags.
>>
>>332747346
The atmosphere of all 3 DoD games is completely different while still managing to base the story off the same setting.
Kinda interesting how Taro presented it.
>>
>>332744546
Drakengard 2 doesn't exist, NieR is Drakengard 2.
>>
>>332747617
DoD2 was a outlier though, at least that's what I felt when watching Nowe, he felt like too much of a textbook character for what Taro usually writes.
>>
>>332747860
NieR is at best Drakengard 1.75
>>
>>332746850
>because reasons
The game explains why Zero must kill her sisters.
>>
>>332748773
At the end of Branch C, which you learn after finishing 90% of the game.
>>
>>332746692
But anon don't you like grinding all the weapons to level 4 ???
>>
>>332748773
Man, now that you mention it only things I remember about DoD 3 are the final boss and Accord, so I can pray that Taro won't use her as a some sort of deus ex machina, even though I 100%ed the game.
>>
>>332749242
KING OF THE NORTH
>>
>>332743713

>people hate Drakengard 1 and 2

Fuck off the gameplay was great
>>
>>332749435
Gameplay was shit until you got Hymir's finger, everything else was great.
>>
I can't beat Ending D, no matter what I try.

[spoilee]I'm deaf[/spoiler]

I've tried the YouTube videos, but one is off at the six minute mark and falls behind from there. Another one jjst goes out of sync when the screen blacks out.
>>
>>332749507

Gameplay was great all game fuck are you all on about?
>>
>>332749896
It's clunky and repetitive Dynasty Warrior clone with terrible flight segments in between stages.
>>
>>332749896
People exaggerate how bad the gameplay is in DoD1 but, ground combat was some tedious, dull shit. Aerial combat is fucking great, though.
>>
>>332749896
Too repetitive, at least in DoD3 I can pretend it's DMC
>>
>>332750041

Who doesn't like slashing a bunch of enemies? Shits fun

>>332750227

>liking 3 over 1 and 2

hello neo-/v/
>>
Don't refresh, lads.
>>
>>332750358
>liking 2
>ever
>>
>>332750198
Not if your trying to kill the last legion cyclops stage to get 100%
>>
>>332750601

>liking 3
>ever
>>
I enjoyed Drakengard 1 and NieR more, the story and the gameplay. 2 didn't even exist and 3 was just outright pain and suffering; The Last Song was the definition of "you suck, git gud" and the frames froze every three seconds. I honestly wonder if 3 was rushed in development but maybe it's just my PS3. NieR is a goddamn masterpiece though, it was better than its Drakengard counterparts in every category.
>>
>>332750358
Don't patronize me, 2 is outright shit outside the improved combat.
3 is made to just sit back and have fun, and it does so perfectly.
1 is the lunatic story everyone loves.
>>
It's april fools

Nobody actually likes 2
>>
>>332751684
I played 2 just so I can find out what happened to Caim.
Also seeing Manah spazzing out at the mention of Caim made me giggle.
>>
File: Caim_03.png (166 KB, 265x379) Image search: [Google]
Caim_03.png
166 KB, 265x379
Meet Caim, his favorite things in the world are murder, Angelus and torturing underage girls.

In that order.
>>
>>332752169
I think he might love Angelus a bit more than murder.
>>
>>332752169
He gave up murder for Angelus. He clearly loves her more than anything.
>>
>>332751907
It's not canon
>>
>>332753571
What isn't?
>>
>>332753504
It's not that simple, because of Angelus he got back to Murder, clearly a smart move because why not do two things you love instead of one?
>>
2 wasn't directed by Taro and it shows. Square made 2 to try and get some quick cash out of it.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.