[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what exactly made him a villain?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 5
File: 468px-Haytham_kenway.png (265 KB, 468x329) Image search: [Google]
468px-Haytham_kenway.png
265 KB, 468x329
>>
>>332737565
Ubisoft
>>
He killed people.
>>
he was a race mixer.
>>
>>332737565
Templar.
>>
>>332737565

He set up the Boston Massacre. But in the game and in later content, he was essentially an antihero while the Assassins became the villains and the main shadowy conspirator organization causing chaos throughout the world.
>>
>>332737734
templars did nothing wrong
>>
>>332737806
From a series about Assassin's perspective, Templars are made out as the bad guys.
If it was Templar's Creed, Connor would have been the bad guy.
>>
>>332737806
well, they did plenty wrong but not due to their philosophical convictions and more because at a certain point ubi writes themselves into corners and just makes them all cartoon villians when they realize the assassins are the actual monsters of this series.
>>
The whole point of Assassin's Creed III is that these Templars were actually fairly well-meaning. The Assassins, as always, don't believe peace through force is worth it and mankind should have the right to self-determination rather than be controlled by the Templars, though Connor remarks on the futility of this fight in his endgame monologue (which was cut for some reason, I have no idea why)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6d79JHh3cU
>>
>>332737886

The series stopped being pro-Assassin at 3. Every game since has painted the Assassins as a loose knit bureaucratic order operating on conveniences at best and hilariously incompetent and destructive at worse. Every MC since Ezio has acted out of his or her own self agency, with no true allegiance to the ideals or virtues of the Assassins.
>>
>>332737886

AC Rogue is good as it shows the Assassins for what they really are.
>>
>>332737979

The "Assassins" were just a failed regional chief who was forgotten by the global order, his upstart disciple who used the chief to train him into a living weapon, and American freelancers. Connor fought for revenge, and thereafter was relegated to a footnote in history as a regional chief in name only.
>>
>>332737565
>Looking for things to matter in ubishit game

Just collect those collectibles dumbshit and stop asking questions.
>>
I'll never understand a game with such a fun villain had the most anti fun hero. Feels like the script was written by 4 different people
>>
Assassin = Chaos
Templar = Law

Where is the AC game where you get to play as Neutralfag?
>>
>>332738405

More like 4 departments in different countries.
>>
>>332738405
Makes sense, every ubisoft AAA game feels like its designed by a board of directors than gamedesigners or writers.
>>
>>332738447
Unity?
>>
>>332738447

Thats post-Ezio. It used to be about philosophy and information control, with the Templars capitalizing knowledge at the expense of society and the Assassins promoting societal growth. Now its plainly stupid.

>>332738530

MC had no real underlying philosophical struggle. His first loyalty was to his dick. His second loyalty was to his waifu. This third loyalty was to do fun stuff like getting drunk, sneaking into house parties, and butchering people.
>>
rEGGIE?
>>
>>332737565
He was too far gone. Had he been a younger man, perhaps Connor and him could have seen eye to eye.

It's sad, his death was what made Connor reconsider the assassin's approach for good. I guess in some way what good assassins do in modern times is thanks to Haytham.
>>
No one ever said Haytham was a villain from a neutral perspective. You simply play the most relevant character from the time the story is told, that doesn't mean you're the hero or right in what you're doing.

Connor was a puppet, Achilles a dumb old man, Haytham a dreamer and his crew a collection of clowns he morally dismissed in his journal not long after gathering them.
>>
>>332737996
The shift kinda fits when you consider that Tumblrinas started making AC around the time 3 has been released.
>>
>>332738792

What? His idea of resisting the Templars were to manipulate their plots and seize power from within. The Templars are power, and the Assassins effectively had no power int he New World after the events in the Caribbean. He effectively wanted to create his own fiefdom with his ideals and ambitions, and the Assassins would have never cooperated with him nor would he ever concede to their philosophy - which Assassins of his time didn't even believe in.
>>
How is the Syndicate?
It is the only AC game I haven't play.
>>
>>332738530
There really was no reason to support the assassins in Unity. They were entirely in the wrong.

>>332738648
If you're saying that the Assassin/Templar dynamic got dumber after Ezio then you are a fool. The templars are cartoonishly evil in the Ezio saga.
>>
>>332739012
Similar to Unity, but way dumbed down. Possibly more fun because of it though.
>>
>>332739021

How does it get more cartoonishly evil than

>Free Masons run the 1% establishment
>the top core of Free Masons believes in aliens and in their own self-importance in connection with these aliens

The only truly nonsensical thing to happen in the Ezio trilogy was an entire mercenary army appearing out of Rome's ass to destroy Ezio's house.
>>
He was a templar, Jondar.
>>
>>332738648
I think Edward is probably the most Neutral Character in the series.
>>
>>332739012
Syndicate is one of the best ones in a while, if you get it then you should get the Jack the Ripper DLC too because it's fun as hell
>>
>>332739297
Only reason was cuz of muh Mary.
Otherwise he would have stayed pirate.
>>
>>332739297

Thats because the game had fuck all to do with the generation war.
>>
>>332739007
Haytham had spent too long as a Templar. It was clear that he assumed that eventually Connor would come around. Convinced that he was right.

And knowing his past it's not hard to see why. Haytham was a tool, forged and sharpened by the templars via atrocities.

But he still helped his son. Connor would've likely been another Ezio if Haytham and Washington hadn't given him perspective. You see it in his big cut speech.

Shame we'll never see anything from Connor again.
>>
>>332737565
He wasn't the main protagonist.
As Rogue showed us, the protagonist is always in the right, while the Templars/Assassins he fight against are evil because of reasons.
>>
The best thing they ever done for the series was boats
>>
>>332739425
I really wish Ubisoft would make modern day AC game. or pre-WW1 era be an Austrian Assassin.
I mean they can copy paste the Watchdog gameplay if they have to.
As long as it doesnt run like Unity and have decently good story it will do just fine.
>>
>>332739001
what are their names?
>>
>you're on the wrong side of every single conflict
>play Rogue
>fuck yeah finally the Assassins are on the right side
>main character switches sides to the Templars

Fuck everything about the story so much...
>>
>>332739671
They did a bit of WW1 in Syndicate. It was cringey, to say the least.

Personally I'd love imperial china. Or a follow up story about an older Connor finally fighting and killing Shay.
>>
>>332739012
running on low settings due to nvidia jewry and they intentionally make the textures look like theyre from 1998

apart from that, its ok

i dont really see what the need was for two protagonists. they should have just committed to a sole female lead
>>
>>332739752
Rather than proof of the group's behavior, you want him to point out individuals? That's a bit of strange demand desu
>>
>>332739671
The entire point of AC is that it's about history, and you want to turn it into yet another among billions of GTA clones out there?
>>
>>332739829
Bro-dudes don't want to play as a chick.
>>
>>332739847
if development was taken over by X, then who is X?

why is that a strange request?
>>
>>332739961
>>332739829
They didn't intend to make Evie and they clearly only forced her in after the Unity outcry.
>>
>>332739879
Uh I dunno, cuz the first games were setting up a modern day AC with Desmond and slowly learning new abilities from his ancestors and sneaking around and doing parkour.
When I got into the series and played all the games, I waited for that modern day AC.
Then they kill him.
Now the series is just some self-insert and play as someone no one related to desmond.
Yet they keep those two Brits around that no one liked.
>>
>>332739879
thats why I bring out WW1
I mean 8/10 people dont even know shit about WW1's history or who are involve and what happen in it.

I mean you could play as the guy who kill Duke Ferdinand.
>>
>>332740012
>this group did something
>okay, without being part of them and without asking and without being there, SPECIFICALLY which one of them did it?
>>
>>332740046
At this point I think they should either go full deep with modern day story.
either make new arc, or just totally forget about it.

It really piss me off in Unity when you have to stop doing whatever you were doing and having to do the matrix jumping puzzle thing.
>>
>>332740047
>I mean you could play as the guy who kill Duke Ferdinand.

The one who was too dumb to find the right street, bought some pastry out of frustration, and then stumbled into ferdinand by sheer luck after leaving the bakery?
>>
>>332740030
thats a shame because shes the better one.

maybe more outcry is needed to get these writers to actually try
>>
File: darthvader-screengrab.jpg (179 KB, 1161x768) Image search: [Google]
darthvader-screengrab.jpg
179 KB, 1161x768
>>332737565
>>
>>332740112
failing to answer #2 puts #1 on a pretty poor foundation
>>
>>332740046
Meh, I guess I was a little curious to see where it was heading, but to me it's no big loss. The only thematic reason to get into AC is if you like the history stuff.

>>332740047
>you could play as the guy who kill Duke Ferdinand

>play Gravilo Princip
>shoot Franz Ferdinand
>spend WW1 in prison and die of tuberculosis

Well at least it wouldn't be as bad as a WW2 game.
>>
>>332740285
I actually answered #2 and not #1
>>
>>332740364
i must have missed it, can you post their names again?
>>
>>332740198
I don't particularly want a female assassin. You can make a male hero flawed and have him develop and change as a character, but the moment you start out with a flawed female people cry misogyny.

Better not to play that game, I'd say.
>>
>>332740194
Sounds like typical Assassin competence to me.
>>
>>332737886
This is why I really loved AC Rogue. It show what Assassins really are.
>>
>>332740194
Well either you involve in that event where you be one of his friend or something. where you are the one who actually killed Ferdinand and flame him for it

or have that early on in the game where killing Ferdinand involve you into Assassin/Templar war.
and watch how the WW1 went through out the game.

Just dont make it a quicktime script event.
>>
>>332740403
Seems kind of like you can't read. Your premise is wrong.
>>
>>332740436
Or you could just make a female character that isn't designed to cater to tumblr feminist demands.
>>
>>332740436
so you wouldnt want to play as a female assassin because of a bunch of meta commentary?
>>
>>332740030
Then they need to get more outcry. Evie is one of the best main characters in the series.
>>
>>332740508
the premise that an argument should offer adequate support or it should be dismissed accordingly?
>>
>>332740625
No, that you were asking specifically for evidence that did not support any argument in an effort to handwave the entire thing. Given our discussion, if anyone had presented actual evidence you would have accused them of failing to address the question.

You asked a trick question.
>>
>>332740603
I found Evie boring. At least Aveline had the cool gimmick of the three identities.

That said, Jacob wasn't likable either. Neither was Arno. Last AC protag I liked was Shay.

>>332740539
Syndicate featured race mixing, an openly trans character, and openly lesbian romances all in victorian london. Sad to say we are past the point of avoiding that.

>>332740541
Entirely.
>>
>>332739847

How is it strange? Groups are made up of individuals with names, you know that, right?

As you've identified people whose work is detrimental to the quality of video games, it would be helpful to know their names so we know what games to avoid when they pop up in the credits.

I mean, you do know what and who you're talking about, right? You would certainly never just spout random popular buzzwords to fit in with the /v/ crowd, now would you.
>>
File: 1409538020150.jpg (34 KB, 509x509) Image search: [Google]
1409538020150.jpg
34 KB, 509x509
>>332740693
>X took over development
>who is X?
>WTF DUDE, KNOWING WHO X IS DOESNT SUPPORT MY ARGUMENT THAT THEY TOOK OVER
>>
>>332740491
>Just dont make it a quicktime script event.
PRESS X TO BUY PASTRY!
>>
>>332740778
I'm not that guy but are you from Ubisoft looking for the idea for your next game?
>>
>>332739175
>army

It was probably like 400 dudes max which I am sure is a rather casual number of men to throw around for petty Tuscan warmaking in the Renaissance.
>>
>>332740780
>1 of 2 matches Reached end of page, continued from top

>>332740778
Because it isn't necessary information and he would just demand more ad infinitum. What he should be asking is for evidence that the team as a collective indicated it at any time.

It addresses this issue in a simple and airtight manner. Talking about specific people convolutes the whole process and he would just object to every piece of information presented.

I'm not even the guy who originally made the argument but the "OH YEAH PROVE IT" also provided a stipulation that essentially made it fundamentally impossible to argue even if true.
>>
>>332739175
>Free Masons run the 1% establishment
If only. They relegated us to siding with the Assassins for no good reason.
>>
>>332740810
I don't mean it like that, but I mean since this is alter reality history might as well change it all up for the gameplay factor.
like make it really a hard mission where you could easily failed, but still do able in open world area.

and then if you actually failed x number of time then it cut into cut scene where you give up and go grabbing some food where your target just suddenly show up for an easy kill.
As long as they dont be too obvious about it.
>>
File: 1387228330726.jpg (139 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1387228330726.jpg
139 KB, 640x480
>>332740978
>being forced to support an argument makes it fundamentally impossible to argue
>>
>>332741214
>okay but can you prove light really diffracts through water? and what does it matter, you can't prove it happens every time, have you been there for every single incident of light travelling? okay [citation needed] you weren't there for that experiment okay how do you know he didn't just fake it, and even if it's true can you repeat his experiment
This is what you were setting him up for.
>>
File: nHDi4Mr.gif (689 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
nHDi4Mr.gif
689 KB, 500x250
>>332741309
>on the assumption that a person's evidence might be unfairly challenged, the only solution is to argue with no evidence whatsoever
>>
>>332741481
No, he rejected the possibility that the collective dev team could have done something and demanded specific individuals and individual proof that they were involved.
>>
>>332739175
>The only truly nonsensical thing to happen in the Ezio trilogy was an entire mercenary army appearing out of Rome's ass to destroy Ezio's house.

But that was a real thing. Rome did have a mercenary army, and it was led by Cesare in real life as he went around trying to conquer Romagna.
>>
>>332741573
he is welcome to provide several names of who "tumblrinas started making AC around the time 3 had been released" refers to
>>
Is rogue any good?

I want to play an AC game where you're on the correct side for a change
>>
>>332742030
Or he could provide proof, something you evidently aren't interested in.
>>
>>332742041
Rogue is the best AC game ever unless you are a pirate loving kid
>>
>>332742041
It's the best, and not just because you're with the good guys. Like an upgrade from IV, unless you prefer that setting. Still a shift from "proper" Ass Creed, since it's all piratey.
>>
>>332742041
rogue is objectively the greatest
>>
>>332742041

If you get in on PC make sure you change the ini file. Even on high settings the game looks like absolute shit, like its a PS2 or some shit. But if you just change the ini settings you can get AC4 graphics.
>>
>>332742201
Wait, rogue is still pirates? I only liked black flag but I enjoyed the setting a lot. It's the only one that I played ntil the end. I honestly don't know how this seris managed to get so succesfull when the games themselves are boring as fuck, but my normie friends and sister love them so whatever.
>>
>>332742236
Sadly also the shortest.

>>332742331
Privateers, mostly set in arctic and temperate environments.
>>
>>332739175
the pope's son demanded it, so what exactly is the problem.

Everyone knows the pope and his family have always held more military power than any other official in that country.
>>
>>332737565
If you play Rogue, he's not a villain.
>>
>>332742316
I wish I knew that before I played it through.
>>
>>332742391
Do you have a ship? this is important
>>
>>332742482
Yes. With a proto machine gun.
>>
>>332742467

The awful graphics didnt set of any alarms with you? I played for a few hours, but eventually I just had to google if this was some sort of anti-piracy thing or something. But all I had to do was change a few numbers.
>>
>>332742545
well fuck it. I'm biting the AC bait once again.
>>
>>332742580
In his defense, it wouldn't be the first time I've done this. I did it was Mass Effect just recently even though I knew and FORGOT about the graphics bug. Bad graphics still look good to me, I can't help it.
>>
>>332742545
Is the story preachy and does it try to paint the Templars as evil constantly? That completely put me off Black Flag
>>
>>332742721
No? It paints the assassins as short sighted dumbasses. Achilles in particular.
>>
>>332742681

I wouldnt have reacted on the graphics initially, but I did wonder why it looked worse than the previous game, so I had to look it up.
>>
>>332742721

Actually the story is dumb as fuck. Instead of looking on grey morality and shit like that, they just make the assassins suddenly evil for no reason and the templars suddenly good. There is no 'viewpoint', they just switch around who's evil and who's not. Dumb as fuck and dissapointing. You can kill civillians without desynching though, but it makes no sense storywise at all.
>>
>>332737565
if assassin's creed series had any good sides, one of them was definitely graying shit out. Templars aren't "bad" and assassins aren't "good" there, and haytham probably did more good things than his assassin son. AC3 was just telling the story from his son's perspective (god, he was so bland i can't even remember his name)
>>
>>332742880
I see someone didn't do the optional missions that flesh out Connor.
>>
>>332740248
He was never the villain. He just wanted to ensure the security and continuing stability of the Empire.
>>
>>332742956

I'll put my flesh in your Connor if you get where I'm memeing with this laddie
>>
>>332742791
This is pleasing to me

>>332742860
Asscreed has never done grey morality well. Black Flag was the closest to neutral in that there was no real reason to kill the Templars or support the Assassins but retard Ed Kenway did it anyway. I remember after getting full synch in Ass Creed 1 you could hack up civilians to your hearts content, maybe they're bringing that back? Felt good to get revenge on those lepers and beggars.
>>
>>332742102
i'll be right here holding my breath
>>
>>332737565
Absolutely nothing, assassin's are just as bad.
>>
>>332739225
BLACK MAGIC BARS OUR WAY. BUT THE WILL OF A TEMPLAR IS STRONGER.
>>
>>332743107
Which by all rights makes him an antagonist, but not a villain.
>>
>>332742580
I honestly thought that was just it, because Rogue was PS3/360, where IV came out on the new consoles, so they'd put more effort into it.
>>
>>332739001
let me guess, all you have to support this is the picture showing people in ubisoft, rithg?
>>
>>332737565
he was a templar and it is well known templars want to control the world with magic, while assassins want to protect the worlds freedom
>>
>>332746709
*Templars wanted to prevent the world from fucking up, and just focus on getting better (with magic), while Assassins want people to be free to do fuck all.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.