[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Video Game Education
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1443880071111.png (130 KB, 310x235) Image search: [Google]
1443880071111.png
130 KB, 310x235
My local community college offers a degree charitably called "Video Game Design".

The people who care about me worry that I'm getting too old to do nothing all day, so I thought I'd try this out to get them off my back.

What can I expect as result from this endeavor?
>>
File: 1415824929433.gif (3 MB, 286x258) Image search: [Google]
1415824929433.gif
3 MB, 286x258
>Community colleges offering Game Design "degrees"
>>
>my local community college is offering a degree
Stop. Look around at different colleges in different cities before you decide on a degree.

You should study it in your free time, because a lot of resources are available online and a game design degree is only as good as the things you actually learn manage to design.
>>
>>332733234

It's a 3-year degree and they offered some good references/quotes from people who had attended, as well as a few professors who'd worked in the games industry and several self-published games.
>>
nothing

take courses in 3d art if that's closer to your current skillset
if not, take courses in c/++ programming

anything else is a waste of your time and your parents' money
>>
>>332733320

Ah yes, but won't a more formal certificate of education carry more weight than "I googled 'how to java'"?

I get your point, but isn't society still a little too caught up on educational proof for this to be viable?
>>
That degree sounds about as useful as a womens studies degree. Either get a real degree (associates or bachelors) or learn yourself, build programs and software to make up a portfolio. The second option will take a while as well.
>>
I'm gonna humor you for a second, OP

if your goal here is to get your parents to stop complaining that you're still living with them, it will work until you either complete the track or burn out. then you'll be right back where you started, and believe me, a game design degree (especially anything less than a bachelor's) isn't going to mean jack shit to anybody

working for video games is not fun. it is work. there is a literally fractional percent of hopefuls who had a smash-hit indie game and are now set for life. this will not be you.

you'll have an easier time landing a job and you'll probably make more money if you spend the time and effort going webdev or sysadmin. then you can go home and play video games, instead of going home hating video games
>>
I went through a 4 year game programming major
Don't do it. It's not worth it. The design majors are even more of a fucking joke. If you want to work for video games, either take comp sci/engineering or an actual art major (depending on which side you're interested in), make your own games in your spare time, and go to indie dev meetups in your area. Most computer science schools have a game development club.

No game company wants to hire someone with a "game design" degree. You can't teach game design. It's a fucking scam.
>>
>>332734329
>this will not be you

In fairness to OP, if Toby Fox can do it, the barrier for entry can't be that demanding.
>>
>he fell for the college meme

When will you people learn?
>>
>>332734364
>4 year game programming major

At least you now have a skill. A skill that can be done by any dweep with a computer, but still a skill.
>>
>>332734492
toby fox was already well-known enough, with a well-established enough fanbase, to run a modest kickstarter so he could develop his game full-time, and already had prior experience with earthbound romhacks

op isn't going to get himself in a similar position any time soon
>>
>>332734657
They didn't teach it very well. I feel like I'm fairly competent, but a lot of it is self-taught and I don't have a very broad skillset. I can't really do anything any typical software job would require like servers, web development, etc

I actually work for video games now but only QA
>>
>>332734492
More like degrading, guy had to dwelve into two of the most autistic internet fanbases to sell a million copies of a ten dollar game (seven with Steam's cut).
>>
>>332734786

I think I've met you once before QAfag. You frequent these video game career threads, if you're the same guy.
>>
>>332734791

You can twist and turn it as much as you want, but the guy's still retired before getting halfway through his twenties, and if he's just got half a brain he can easily sustain the rest of his life with the work he's already done.
>>
>>332734848
This is my first time posting about it, so nope
>>
At least you're not doing an online degree.

Online degrees are the biggest meme of them all.
>>
>>332734964

Oh, my bad then. Still tell us about what you do on a day-to-day basis.

If nothing else, I'd love to hear about it!
>>
Bamp, back from the brink.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.