[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth it if I just want to sit in full comfy mode and place
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Steam_Controller-112-970-80.jpg (40 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
Steam_Controller-112-970-80.jpg
40 KB, 970x545
Is it worth it if I just want to sit in full comfy mode and place PC games?

I need to get through my backlog, and I play WoW on occasion, it seems like it'll be amazing using this for WoW
>>
>>332731424
I'll be honest with you buddy, it's an amazing controller but you're going to have a tough time getting used to it. I really recommend using mouse-joystick simulation for the right touch pad because trying to get your mind into the whole 'this is a joystick without the stick' is really fucking tough. Maybe I'm thumb retarded but it was frustrating. I ended up changing a few settings (there's a fuckload of customization to this shit) and it ended up working great.

You could probably play wow with this though don't expect to be a gladiator in arena. You can set the paddles in the back to flip through templates, say you have the left pad set as analog for 4 abilities, then the ABYX buttons set as another 4 abilities. You can hit a paddle so all 8 of those switch to different keybindings so 8 new abilities. Think xiv if you've ever played that.
>>
I love using it when sitting back on the couch. It has a bunch of customization options for games, and while it may take some getting used to, it's just fun to use.

It's also great for navigating around the PC as a substitute for a wireless keyboard/mouse setup.
>>
>>332731424
I can't imagine it being great for WoW. I suppose you could layer it and have ~16 hotkeys for abilities, but that does not seem comfortable or intuitive at all.

I'd say the games it's PERFECT for (as far as controllers go) is CRPGs. But even then I prefer kb+m. It also works well with Dark Souls I've noticed.
>>
>>332731424
I wouldn't recommend using the controller for mmorpg or rts games. It's not that the controller cannot support the keybinds or precision, but it's way too hard to get used to it. You would be playing at a disadvantage for too long
>>
>>332733495
Well I have 4 buttons on the front, 4 on the back, and 4 shoulder buttons, so 1-12 is covered and that's most of what I need anyways, I can just use something for shift and have 11+11 buttons in total
>>
>>332733714
Yeah, you can even use the palm buttons for shifting and have 36 hotkeys. But it still does not seem very comfortable. I mean it could definitely work, but it wouldn't be optimal is what I'm saying.

If you can use a kb+m setup that would be much better, or your gameplay will likely suffer.
>>
>>332733970
It'd be for like leveling and whatever, I could bind WASD to the stick, and use one of the pads for camera controls

actually I might just do that and roll a bitch ass alliance character, been horde my whole life.
>>
>>332733495
The quick menu thing would probably be the best way to set up your skills.
>>
>>332733495
>CRPGs
Does it work as a thumb touchpad (absolute movement) or stick (relative velocity)?

Have you tried thumb trackball? I'm using one right now and it's pretty good for leaning back and not using flat surface. Actually considering some left-hand keypad or just a wireless numpad too.
>>
>>332735131
English isn't my first language so I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Are you talking about movement?

You can set it up however you like, but if you can't use direct directional movement in the game (you can't use WASD to move in Baldur's Gate for example) then the controller won't change that.
>>
>>332735552
You said CRPG not ARPG so I thought there's some mouse mode or something.
>>
>>332735702
Oh yeah, I found trackball to be the most comfortable. It takes quite a bit of tinkering to get the sensitivity right where you want it, but I'd recommend that. The stick is really only useful for camera movement, though.
>>
I play WoW with it for kicks when I wanna go full comfy mode. Works like a dream.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.