[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We were talking about the validity of coding's difficulty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1459486764988.jpg (319 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
1459486764988.jpg
319 KB, 1600x900
We were talking about the validity of coding's difficulty as an excuse for bugs in big name games, and having a legitimate discussion about what goes into the coding of various elements of games and types of games.
That is video games, fuck off, learn to do your jobs. Holy shit.

So, moving on, as someone who's worked on large team projects proper program organization is enough to eliminate the kind of stupid spaghetti code bugs you see in a lot of modern games these days. The amount of money going into the games and the amount of programmers on the team also means there's really no excuse.
>>
>>332728647
uh, ok
>>
Can you work on making the emulation of Rogue Squadron II run well on Dolphin?
>>
Well, it was a nice thread that was unfairly deleted. Doesn't look like anyone wants to continue the discussion though. Shame
>>
Apparently this is part of a larger discussion, but don't forget that video games sell on volume and not quality, they're not exactly running the systems for a vehicle or a rocket like most contracts for proper programmers or teams usually handle. They can release the program with bugs day 1 with little recourse. Hell even Ubi has started an initiative for more 'diversity' in game design, but sacrificed code quality in return.

tl;dr games aren't impressing anyone, and quality programmers are working on projects that are actually contributing to society.
>>
>tfw want to make vidya and am a decent backend coder who's good at math
>have absolutely no artistic or musical talent so anything I make for myself will never be good enough
I hate my life
>>
>>332729473
I fucking know this feel

>have a good project made with dev graphics
>good artists are either full of themselves or constantly critical of themselves, can't handle deadlines and usually the biggest liability for a project deadline
>meh and uninspired artists out to make a name for themselves at least deliver

shame
>>
>>332729649
In my experience, musicians get their job done quickly and effectively, but their product is also not nearly as "important" to a game as the visual artwork.
>>
>>332729473
You can always prototype a game with placeholder graphics and royalty free music and then take it to game dev meetups, if you already have an otherwise finished game artists and composers will flock to you because it's a guaranteed release.
>>
>>332728647
It looks like that code was written on a Unix-like system, then opened on Windows with a text editor that can't cope with not having carriage return character, but also doesn't display invalid character symbols for orphaned newlines.
>>
>>332729810
That's good to know.

My team got a guy who's onboard for music, we're just waiting for an actual visual style but my team's been through almost three artists now who've had the problems I quoted.

I got a fourth guy, but his stuff is ubisoft tier fucking uninspired trash, but was able to get a few small assets off for us, better than the first two but not by much.
>>
>>332728647
You have to understand the somewhat admittedly false but certainly plausible dichotomy we have here /g/.
If no one complained ever what do you think the quality standard would be, do you really believe without the slightest doubt that companies wouldn't slack if they knew they could get away with it.

I won't name names but there are quite a few games with dedicated fanbases who literally trickle out content because they know their model of bareminimum won't be met with complaints from addicts. If we multiplied that opportunity, not the guarantee but just the possible scenario where every game developer had a fanbase equally as submissive, how many quality games do you think would genuinely be put out? I'm say going with a generous maximum 20% per gen at best.

As such as much as I dislike bitching for the sake of bitching a world where we at least try to maintain standards as the norm through criticism is more favorable because even if it doesn't necessarily encourage quality it discourages obvious laziness for the majority. Some still get away with it, but it's not remotely the acceptable average.
>>
File: Gyarados.png (58 KB, 581x487) Image search: [Google]
Gyarados.png
58 KB, 581x487
>>332729473
>>332729649

>had a project that originated on /v/ and went for four years with talented artists, musicians, and storywriters
>couldn't hold down a programmer to save our lives
>ded project
>>
>>332732052
lol you serious?

I kept it off /v/ because of faggot artists.

Oh well, such is life.
>>
File: PierceTheHeavens.png (39 KB, 470x400) Image search: [Google]
PierceTheHeavens.png
39 KB, 470x400
>>332732980

Well, it originated on /v/, but aside from getting most of our major members through a few different threads, we kept to ourselves for the most part.

This was also /v/ back in the day, before the great separation of /vg/, /vr/, and /vp/. Things were much different back then.
>>
>>332733261
I suppose that's for the best then.

Would be nice if I could find an artist we could keep accountable mostly because my partner and I started an LLC for this project and everything, so financially we're pretty well committed.

Do they lurk /v/ anymore? I'm not asking directly for their names but where would be a good place I could scout some artists for a 3d game?
>>
>>332732052
>>332733261
Pokemon x Monster Hunter?
>>
>>332728647
You really think people with great software experience is going to stick to the video game industry? In the real world, good coders are sought after by other big businesses, and video game companies usually just hire the bottom of the barrel to keep product costs down.
I earn $28 an hour by being a comp. engineering intern and I haven't even finished my degree. As much as I would love to work on video games, I don't see why anyone with a brain would rather do vidya work
>>
File: Tentacruel.png (54 KB, 587x394) Image search: [Google]
Tentacruel.png
54 KB, 587x394
>>332733419

Dunno if they lurk /v/ anymore... I've only managed to keep in contact with a few of them, and none of them were artists. Plus, our game was more 2D with sprites. Though one of our artists did some work in Undertale, I discovered.

>>332733452

Something similar, but in more of a JRPG style where you could capture Pokemon spirits and forge them into 'living' weapons and armor for your party.
>>
>>332728647
It basically comes down to the fact games are released according to a schedule set by publishers for competition or holiday purposes. Anyone who's worked in software development knows projects literally (not hyperbole, actual literally) never finish on time. It might take an extra week or an extra month, but it's not finishing on time. If you work in enterprise software, you tell your client you're sorry and you need another month. They already paid you so what are they going to do? Complain like cucks? For video game development though, this isn't the case. Because the customer hasn't paid you yet and because you're on someone else's deadline you basically just need to release what's there.
>>
>>332734443

>games never finish on time

What about FNAF
>>
>>332728647
AAA companies can't afford to hire good programmers, so they hire fresh recruits who barely know anything, and they hire in numbers. It takes a poor programmer tens of times longer to do something than a good programmer, so they just hire 10-30x more people for cheaper.

Any good programmer is going to be working for Google or Microsoft or Apple or who the fuck ever. They're not going to be working for EA for minimum wage. So the end result is a massive amount of inefficiency, as dozens of people struggle to do one man's job. Team sizes get bigger, it gets impossible to communicate, and of course this ends up being a practice which scales up HORRIBLY with cost, so they're also wasting a ton of money.

High costs and shit programmers lead to the same shitty game every single year. They cling to prettier graphics because all the work is being done for them there. It's all about the console, and big AAA doesn't have to lift a finger.

Unfortunately AAA is solely comprised of big companies, and big companies NEVER take what they see to be risks. So they'll never change their strategy unless their games start to crash and burn and lose them a bunch of money. They'll never leave the graphics-advertising hype train strategy because it's working. They'll never leave the same-game-every-year strategy because it's working. Even if other strategies are healthier and probably more profitable, it's risky to change tactics, so they don't.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.