[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't fucking get it. The wii u was the perfect console.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 15
File: wii_u_iwata.jpg (240 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
wii_u_iwata.jpg
240 KB, 960x720
I don't fucking get it.

The wii u was the perfect console. Why did it fail?
>>
Shit marketing, and 3rd parties jumping ship after a year
>>
Weak hardware
No games
Gimmicks
Nintendo's brand is a poisoned one; people sees Nintendo platforms as toys for children
>>
15th Century Hardware
>>
that guy doesnt look so good is he okay
>>
>>332719034
>nintendo gets casual audience with the wii
>lose hardcore market
>make the wii u trying to pander to casual market
>casual market moves on
>lost a good chunk of hardcore market
The console didn't appeal to anyone, and didn't have any games until fucking 2014.
>>
File: 1447624964626.gif (155 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1447624964626.gif
155 KB, 640x360
>The wii u was the perfect console.
>>
Tablets fatigue.
Wii motion controls were a 1000x better peripheral.
3rd parties never have the imagination to make good use of Nintendo's wacky contraptions.
>>
its hardware had no compatibility with the games made for multi plataforms, and forcing to use the touch screen gimmick was too much work for nothing, so third parties just gave up on it
>>
>>332719034
>shittier game lineup than the wii
>came out right after the wii, their "fuck you, motion controls are more fun than good games" console.
>not advertised at all
>even if it were, the wii was a fad that already passed, and that big leapfrog tablet wasnt gonna touch the already flooded touchscreen market
>THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY US DOLLARS
>the "killer apps" were sequels that didnt innovate and two platinum games
>internet is terrible
>dlc is lousy
>amiibo is cancer
>theyre about to make a replacement already
>this replacement wont even be as strong as the underpowered xbone

Honestly there's lots of reasons. Nintendo is now only in a position where they can sell their own hardware, software, or both. the wii was a gimmick, so was the wii u, and the nx will be too. they dont have the strength to sell hardware. so software? weakest its ever been, and its derivative of old software to begin with. the golden exception being splatoon. but nintendo doesnt make shit like splatoon very often. not often enough to compete. one day nintendo will go "third party" but not how everyone thinks. its gonna be some sort of dumb special arrangement. you wont be seeing mario on xbox or ps. but nintendo cant really compete anymore with expensive hardware.
>>
>>332719389
They were morons for thinking that the elderly people playing Wii Sports and Wii Fit were going to stick around.
>>
>>332719034
It isn't a perfect console it just has a library of some pretty good and some really great games.
Also, their marketing team went full retard.
>>
>perfect console

how?
>>
>>332719674
>3rd parties never have the imagination to make good use of Nintendo's wacky contraptions.
No. 3rd parties will not waste money, resources and time doing something just for one console when its market is smaller than PC, Xbox and PS all together. 3rd parties right now just want to focus on easy multi-platform/ports because ceos demand.
Nintendo needs to change this. If they don't they will keep losing those sports, action, fps gamers that want those games and playing them online easily.
>>
Bad Marketing
Most of the money goes into a gimmick instead of hardware
3rd party support that was sorta there at first, but then just jumped ship completely, only ones left are selling games (No, I don't really count platinum as Third Party, more like Second Party) that are aimed at the casual market of the wii, but don't sell well because more expensive hardware that old farts are just not going to buy
Wagglin' gimmick already died out long ago, console to my knowledge doesn't even come with Wiimote, so if you're an old fuck who wants to get into a wagglin' game, you have to buy a Wiimote
First Party title are great but can only hold interest for so long
>>
Marketing and public perception.

Same reason anything is successful or unsuccessful.
>>
Total shit gimmick controller that has so far proven completely useless in any game. Shit marketing with an awful name. Made the retarded assumption that casuals still cared about Nintendo.

It's still the only platform this gen with games.
>>
>Visuals were a generation behind. It was fine for Nintendo games, but 3rd parties did not want to do the same bullshit with the Wii and make two separate versions of their core games.

>Tablet was not really fleshed out. Screen quality was too poor to be any good for remote play, and it did not have its own OS so it had to remain tethered close to the Wii U. It was more of a 3DS home console with most games then a actual tablet.

>Online was still fucked all around, account system being tied to the console itself is one of the stupidest things you could do when everyone else has content tied to a account.

>Name is terrible. Fucking Wii U? What the fuck does that even mean? Wii 2 would have been far better and shown it was a upgrade.

>Lack of storage made it hard to do anything with the E-shop, which also means having to buy extra external storage or a SD card.

>Emulation was handled poorly, with stuff coming out too slowly and having to rebuy stuff you already bought. Once again, not great when other markets allow you to keep apps.

>Game selection was poor, waaaay too many Mario games or 2D titles/pseudo 3D/leftover GCN & Wii titles that did not take full advantage of the system. 3rd party games were generally the worst versions and the lack of any 3rd party games hurt. What gets me is there are a ton of 3DS games that would have been excellent for the Wii U as a cross play thing (like Luigi's Mansion, OoT/MM, Pokemon, etc) that could have helped it.

>Over reliance on amiibo content.
>>
>>332719034
>perfect console
C'mon now.
>>
File: seriousBusinessman.jpg (42 KB, 304x450) Image search: [Google]
seriousBusinessman.jpg
42 KB, 304x450
When I'm shopping for a console, I'm looking for more than fun.

I'm looking for a multi-purpose entertainment device that will allow me to connect to friends and families, watch movies and series on demand and, yes, play video games from time to time.

I would also like it to stream Twitch, check my back for a hernia and pleasure my wife when I'm at work so she doesn't blanda upp with the negro kids next door.

Only Sony provides this service and only Sony will take technology to the inevitable status of evil overlords that we all deserve.

Hail Satan!
>>
>>332719034
I don't fucking get it.
This same thread was posted some hours ago. Why did OP made another one again?
>>
>>332723084
>waaaay too many Mario games
The Wii U has had less Mario games than the Gamecube and Wii.
>>
File: blpyBfF.jpg (43 KB, 550x449) Image search: [Google]
blpyBfF.jpg
43 KB, 550x449
Nintendo is run by brain dead, radiation-filled Japs. If Wii U just came out with a new Zelda and Smash Brothers right off the bat, it'd have sold millions more. I don't understand why they don't have these console sellers right on the shelves day one with the new releases of their consoles. Instead the Japs twiddle their dicks and release some cut and paste Mario platformer and think that'll sell like hotcakes and save their shitty console. It won't. They have the means to actually make the Wii U work but for whatever reason I cannot fathom dance around the issue.
>>
Remember when /v/ was on board with this shit and was trying to pretend the ship wasn't sinking?

I hope you faggots are ashamed of yourselves.
>>
They completely abandoned the Wii in 2012, and thought their Wii install base would patiently wait until their next console came out. They didn't. Most just stopped playing consoles because they now had tablets. Some gravitated to the 3ds. The rest went out and bought PS3s, and many of those people then they decided their next console would be the rumored PS4.

The Wii U launch was supposed to be about catering to customers they thought they had, and were eagerly awaiting the next console...when in reality it was about getting back the customers they lost, and had no idea Nintendo even had a new console out.
>>
File: 1459318147556.jpg (175 KB, 1260x1260) Image search: [Google]
1459318147556.jpg
175 KB, 1260x1260
>>332719034
same reason critics dissed BvS. the masses will take prefer a mediocre but safe product than an innovative but risky one. capitalism punishes effort.
>>
File: facesofmeth.jpg (88 KB, 960x733) Image search: [Google]
facesofmeth.jpg
88 KB, 960x733
>>332719034
>pander to children's game market with decades old IPs
>children either play mobile games or move on to cool kid consoles with shooters and violence
>only people left buying are delusional nintendrone manchildren who masturbate over the latest cartoon platformer reskin

Nintendo has become the most pathetic player in the industry. There are entities more evil and greedy, but there are none more pathetic.

They need to wipe the slate clean and come up with a new strategy or they'll go the way of Sega.
>>
>>332723084
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7auoRJ5bsw
>>
>>332719034
>The wii u was the perfect console. Why did it fail?

It wasn't perfect.
>>
They won't stop with the fucking gimmicks and under powered hardware.
>>
File: 1458333667210.jpg (35 KB, 500x418) Image search: [Google]
1458333667210.jpg
35 KB, 500x418
The machine spirit wasn't happy
>>
File: 1458430734108.jpg (27 KB, 263x286) Image search: [Google]
1458430734108.jpg
27 KB, 263x286
>>332719034
Terrible marketing was their downfall. To this day I still find people that didn't know it was a new console because of the retard "Wii U" name. Should've names it "Wii 2" or "Super Wii", or anything better than that fucking name.
>>
>>332719034
Except that it wasn't. We're talking about hardware from last gen with poor third party support, lack of a proper online system, excessive censorship, Bad marketing, amiibo, and apparently doing their own thing and not competing with MS and Sony for "hardcore" customers and instead going full casual.
>>
>>332727772
3rd party support means AAA and that's it, the demographic for gritty realistic shooters and sports games isn't on Nintendo's platforms and better hardware won't change that.
>>
>>332719207
>Weak hardware
The PS2 was weak, this isn't an argument.
>>
>>332728264
Back then people did not care that much about it.
>>
>>332719034
Nintendo was forever tainted by the gimmicky reputation of the Wii. Also bad naming and marketing.
>>
>>332723084
All of this, basically.

Especially the software library. There were very little choices. Every game was essentially a first party staple. Exclusive third party support just wasn't there, and multiplats, if it actually got any, were totally fucked.

I don't really jump on the GRAFIX bandwagon, but a console really amounts to its library. WiiU has some great first party titles, but not enough of them, and nothing else of note.

With the NX around the corner this is also going to be the first console without a flagship Zelda title.
>>
>>332719034
Overpriced, underpowered, with a dumb controller. (Although it did have some nice first party software, but not enough to make me overlook the above three problems.)
>>
>>332719034
because nintendo. kek
>>
>>332724280
The Iwata years of Nintendo were questionably retarded.

What you're saying about the Wii U launching with jackshit for system sellers and killer apps is absolutely true and I honestly wish it bit them as hard in the ass for the 3DS cause they did the same shit with that fucking thing.

They were still developing Pokemon Black & White 2 for the DS well after the 3DS came out and it wasn't til much later the 3DS got it's own pokemon games.

The only reason I ended up buying a 3DS was for DoA: Dimensions which unfortunately turned out to be a pretty subpar game, yet every other Nintendo game i've bought for the 3DS has been barely any better.

Iwata was cancer.
>>
File: nintendo back in the day.jpg (84 KB, 587x780) Image search: [Google]
nintendo back in the day.jpg
84 KB, 587x780
all they had to do was make the console as powerful as the ps4 and xbox one so that third party would make their games for them

then crank out amazing first party games, in reality nintendo was fucked

fuck tem
>>
>>332719034
>The wii u was the perfect console. Why did it fail?
Not being perfect.

>Low resolution gamepad
>resistive touchscreen on gamepad vs. normie preferred capacitive
>very short range for gamepad
>very, very short battery life for gamepad
>underpowered hardware at release time
>obscure os and still no documentation for apis on dev side
>stupid decisions like no option for limited/full range rgb so most TVs/monitors looked washed out playing wiiu
>excessively expensive for the shitty hardware
>shitty online service at launch

>and more
>>
>>332728782
Iwata turned the company into the Fischer-Price of video games. He refused to move in the same direction as the rest of the industry, and instead "innovate" while keeping the platforms overly family-oriented. This lead to the entire Nintendo consumerbase being alienated if they wanted to enjoy their products. It's been fucking abysmal since the GCN because their hardware has literally been fueled by first party titles.
>>
File: nintendo e3 2006.jpg (113 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
nintendo e3 2006.jpg
113 KB, 720x960
>>332728938
>>
>>332727017
^ This x1,000
As a WiiU owner, when I tell anyone i know (including those with a fucking Wii) about the Wii U they think it's some sort of expansion thing and they never considered getting it. Nintendo fucked up so hard on this it's crazy. I don't know who thought WiiU was a good idea for a name, but I hope they have been let go.

Also, there's the whole lack of third party support. Nintendo always does this bullshit now where their hardware isn't even on the same tier as their competition, so developers would have to go out of their way to develop software for them while the other two are so similar. They aren't doing the arithmetic in their short-sighted decisions.
>>
>>332728938
>>332729013
Ahh I remember the time before the SJW movement.
>>
File: 1369714101024.jpg (16 KB, 332x333) Image search: [Google]
1369714101024.jpg
16 KB, 332x333
Any console where I have to get out of my comfort zone to use the shitty gimmick controller instead of the normal one is not a perfect console. Seriously, I can't access settings and other shit without that hunk of garbage.
>>
>>332728782
>The only reason I ended up buying a 3DS was for DoA: Dimensions which unfortunately turned out to be a pretty subpar game, yet every other Nintendo game i've bought for the 3DS has been barely any better.
That is entirely subjective.

Now personally I think it's obvious that they could've handled their last five years so much better than they have, but the 3DS has loads of good exclusives. Idk if I'd say it were quite as good as the DS or even the GBA, but it's a pretty damn good handheld.

Probably is, handhelds are slowly dying outside of Japan. 3DS is doing pretty well even still though, although I must admit that the past year or so has been pretty sparse as far as releases that I'm interested in have gone.
>>
>>332719389
>>nintendo gets casual audience with the wii
>>lose hardcore market

Nintendo lost the "hardcore" market with the N64.

Why is it that in the same breath everyone complains that Nintendo "abandoned" gamers and that they rehash the same games over and over again? Those two lines of thinking are incompatible unless you believe Nintendo has been after the "casual" audience since the days of the NES.
>>
>>332729091
if it weren't for Monster Hunter and the japs insatiable love for that series, the 3DS probably wouldn't have sold well at all and would have reflected the same lack of killer software support in it's sales as the Wii U.

If Sony gets Capcom back onboard for their own consoles then Nintendo is dead in the water.
>>
>>332727017
>>332729029
Completely agree with these. Although honestly, if you actually played video games and kept up with it, it's not too difficult to figure out that the Wii U is obviously the Wii's successor.

Casuals gonna casual but then it's on Nintendo for fucking their advertising.

>>332729085
The way they handled that shit has been completely retarded. Give me an option to turn off controllers like the PS3/4 and the Xbox 360/Xbone do.
>>
Nintendo thinking tablets was a super casual magnet gimmick

Nintendo revealing the console as some new tablet controller add-on for Wii

The name

Dropped third party support + game droughts

And this is coming from a Wii U owner, so eat shit.
>>
>>332719034
Not enough brown filter first person shooters, and that's all anyone really plays. The actual group of people who like actual video games with gameplay or challenge are a vast minority now, and with more "games" that are just walking simulators as you aimlessly wander your way to the end with no actual gameplay happening the whole time becoming more and more rampant, it's only gonna get worse.

tl;dr video games got "cool" and got marketed to cool kids that don't even like video games, now they're ruined
>>
File: 1452505317836.gif (403 KB, 245x118) Image search: [Google]
1452505317836.gif
403 KB, 245x118
>>332729029
>mention to coworker I have a WiiU when he says he has a Wii
>"What's the difference?" he asks
>>
>>332728264
The gap is far bigger with the wii u and when casuals have moved from shovelware to shitty phone games it matters more
>>
>>332729091
>Probably is
*problem

>>332729317
>If Sony gets Capcom back onboard for their own consoles then Nintendo is dead in the water.
I wouldn't go that far. They still have Namco and Square-Enix to support their shit. And their first-party releases are generally strong enough to support their handhelds imo

But they really do need to push for more third-party support. It's stupid that they're 100% okay with pushing most of them, especially Western devs, away. They literally basically have to throw money at them to get them to release anything on their home consoles anymore.
>>
>>332729317
>Sony
>MonHunt
Nigga they told capcom to fuckoff with monhunt on PSP

Nintendo might be retarded but not that retarded.
>>
>>332719034
>The wii u was the perfect console
haha you got me! good joke.
>>
>>332723084
>Screen quality was too poor to be good for remote play
It's perfectly fine, I play Xenoblade, Pokken, and Monster Hunter on it all the time.

>Online was still fucked
Still less fucked than paying for it.

>Game selection was poor
>Over reliance on amiibo content
Both really wrong. Only games I can think of with amiibo reliances are Splatoon and Hyrule Warriors unlocks.

The rest I'll agree with.

>>332728709
>nothing else of note
XCX, Hyrule Warriors, the best version of TTT2, Fast Racing Neo, Meme Run and Pokken are nothing of note?
>>
>>332729762
Xenoblade sure, the rest of those are either first party or are nothing of note.
>>
>the wii u was the perfect console
april fool's to you too buddy
>>
>>332723084
Tablet is perfect for Mario Maker, though

I literally never play that game on the TV.
>>
>>332728264
>The PS2 was weak, this isn't an argument.
It was weaker than the Gamecube, but wasn't as weak as the N64
>>
>>332729828
>first party
none of them are first party, save for Monolith which I thought were second party but after doing a second of research aren't.

Not liking musou games is fine, but Tekken and Fast Racing Neo are nothing of note?
>>
>>332729080
You remember the 40s? Damn dude
>>
>>332728995
>resistive touchscreen on gamepad vs. normie preferred capacitive
Capacitive is fudgy imprecise shit, using one pisses me off every single time I pick up a smart device.
>very short range for gamepad
Probably to ensure such a low-latency stream.
>very, very short battery life for gamepad
Valid, but how many people actually play games beyond the range of the nearest wall outlet? Just plug the fucker in.

What I don't get is why no one here can seem to accept that the Gamepad is literally a Pro Controller with a screen.

>waah, it's heavy
>waah, it's big
Do you niggers have wet noodles for arms and manlet hands?
>muh battery life
See above, and battery-powered controllers have always been an unnecessary nuisance to keep charged unless you're some normie faggot who actually plays games on a couch all the way across the room. The only controller I don't use with a cord is the Wiimote because I can't. I never ever unplugged my XB360 controller from the play-n-charge cord.
>>
>>332730050
HW/Pokken are first party, just from outsourced developers.

No, Tekken and whatever the fuck racing game you're jizzing over are nothing of note.
>>
>>332730024

Gamecube was weaker than PS2 in some regards but it was stronger in others. Same goes for the N64, better than PSX at some things, worse at others.
>>
I didn't buy one because it had one fucking game that interested me and I'm not rich enough to buy a whole system for just one game.
>>
>>332730232
>whatever the fuck racing game you're jizzing over
Lots of people love F-ZERO. Lots of people love WipEout. FAST Racing Neo crosses the two together.
>>
File: 1372911331098.gif (493 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
1372911331098.gif
493 KB, 200x133
>>332730232
>Tekken
>nothing of note
Jesus, you could have played the fiddle a bit longer before bringing out the extra large bait.
>>
>>332730520
It's not either of those.

>>332730542
Tekken hasn't been relevant since the early 2000's.
>>
A generation behind in hardware department. Graphics are fucking horseshit

Shitty gimmick, only 2 or 3 games do it right.

No games.

No dudebro or AAA shit so goodbye 80% of the demographic.

Marketing was shit.

No Zelda, Metroid or true 3D Mario. Hell at least the Gamecube had a kickass selection of games.

No third party support.
>>
>>332730724
>Tekken hasn't been relevant since the early 2000's.
It's funny because it's apparently irrelevant status doesn't stop it from selling millions of copies with each title even today.
>>
File: 1435643174830.jpg (9 KB, 158x150) Image search: [Google]
1435643174830.jpg
9 KB, 158x150
>>332719034
It didn't. It's alive and well.
>>
>>332730724
>It's not either of those.
No fucking shit, a $15 eshop game by a handful of krauts isn't a retail release from Nintendo/Sega or Psygnosis.

It's a fine racing game in its own right that crosses the clean racing and tight handling of F-ZERO with tracks and aesthetics that resemble WipEout.

Hate on it for having broken multiplayer and a patch that's going on three months late, but to deny its quality in other regards is plain and simple ignorance.
>>
>perfect console
>no games

??
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.