[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Argument
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 261349584595954747LeythP5uc.jpg (143 KB, 490x386) Image search: [Google]
261349584595954747LeythP5uc.jpg
143 KB, 490x386
Story in interactive medium should be told through interaction, right?

Alright. Since interaction is what makes a game - game, then interaction can be defined as gameplay. So the story is told through gameplay.

Why do most video game developers constantly develop the same story, then? It's your fault.
Yes, your. Stop wanting more of the same. If it ain't broke don't make it again.
>>
>>332699167
Yeah, yeah. MXC only lasted three years in Japan, but made him an international superstar among drunken males. Impressive.
>>
Story in an interactive medium should be made, not told.
>>
>>332699592
When you make a game you tell the story through gameplay.
>>
>>332699718
That's told. Story shouldn't be told in an interactive medium. The story should be made through interaction.
>>
>>332699913
And what is interaction if not gameplay? Disregard the fluff, be it words or images and focus on the mechanics. Press E to interact is the same story, be it visual novel or an FPS shooter. Design should try to figure out different interactions, even if that means developing gimmicks.
>>
>>332700108
That's still told, though. At most you're filling small gaps that are designated as ambiguous, maybe steering the story towards various checkpoints. But that's still told.

The player should make the story.
>>
>>332700298
Give too much freedom to player and you get nonsensical sandbox simulators that might as well be tech demos.
>>
>>332700752
Take too much freedom away and you have just another movie.

So the player has to actually be good to make a good story, is that a problem?
>>
>>332701225
Why not have just the right amount of freedom? There's more alternatives between Dorf Fort and a movie.
>>
>>332701225
No, I'm all for exploration but the skill of the video game director is much akin to what a movie director would do when setting up mise-en-scene and that is guiding the eye of the viewer or in this case the player without making it feel like handholding. I don't believe in giving player agency to choose key plot points.
>>
There is no objectively correct or better way of doing story in games. I equally enjoy Dwarf Fortress and Metal Gear for different reasons. Vidya is a very elastic medium, there's no reason to have things only be one way because you think it's right or wrong.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.