[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are reflections so bad to do in games? Why can't they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 2016-03-31_15-20-47.jpg (642 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-31_15-20-47.jpg
642 KB, 1920x1080
Why are reflections so bad to do in games?

Why can't they just put a second camera where the mirror is?
>>
Why don't you try playing on something other than Extra Low?
>>
Obviously they can, but you should be really glad they didn't. Especially considering the settings you're running.
>>
>>332637706
Reflections used to be done really well for whatever reason, like in Deus Ex where it's basically just another you (and probably is, with a second camera). I really don't know why they suck so much nowadays.
>>
>>332638771
>>332637706
Because developers are lazy as fuck.

But also those settings aren't helping brobeans.
>>
>>332637706
They are hard to do, and massively taxing on performance

total waste of time anyway
>>
resource intensive

not worth it
>>
Because rendering the entire scene twice for a simple reflection really isn't worth it, especially when so many games already chug at 30fps or lower on consoles.

I suspect the next time reflections will be super common in games is when ray-traced lighting is commonplace and reflections just appear naturally.
>>
Turn reflection quality up silly billy
>>
>>332637706
The game is already running at 20 FPS on PS4, now imagine what happens when you have to render it twice.
>>
Super Mario 64 had a mirror room done correctly.
>>
>>332639149
It's not lazy, you can make a mirror in any major engine in seconds, but when you add in the fact that each view needs to compute all the insane lighting shit game engines do now (muh global illumination) it's just prohibitively expensive to sprinkle cameras that render at full resolution around the world. The only way you can get away with it is if your mirror renders at lower detail or ignores dynamic lighting etc. which is very noticeable in a full size mirror.

The broken mirror in DNF that people like to tout as an example of mirrors still being possible is actually less impressive than a non-broken mirror would be since the brokenness allows them to get away with much lower detail in the mirror.
>>
>>332639467
Sims 3 does mirrors with full reflections without any major performance drop, and I have a toaster laptop.
>>
>>332641681
Sims 3 doesn't do any kind of lighting in real time. It's just point shadows and baked lights as far as I can tell. It really isn't comparable to a modern FPS or TPS.
>>
>>332640773
Can't they just make reversed reference?
>>
>>332638771
These weren't reflections, they were separate rooms made to be complete mirror images of room they are in.
>>
File: GTA V Mirror & Glasses.webm (1 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
GTA V Mirror & Glasses.webm
1 MB, 960x540
>>332640773
But GTAV has working mirrors on ps4.
>>
>>332643123
Looks like a static image with the character model added on top. Can you move shit around in there or something? Get some ragdolls in there?
>>
>>332643123
yes
>>
>>332640420
So basically:
1. Game performance is severely questionable in the first place
2. Mirrors use performance
3. So nobody wants mirrors
>>
It's actually not that uncommon to see mirror-like materials in games today desu, but they're always computed offline which is why you get goofy shit like those windows in Watch Dogs that don't reflect the player or reflect another part of town because someone fucked something up somewhere along the way.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.