[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Resident Evil 5 really that bad of a game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 14
File: 707784-shot0181_00000.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
707784-shot0181_00000.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
Was Resident Evil 5 really that bad of a game?
>>
It was great fun local coop. It was shit everything else.
>>
It would have been great if it didn't have the Resident Evil brand slapped on the cover. But since it did, it's fucking cancer for deviating towards more action oriented gameplay. RE4 is even more to blame but at least it maintained some aspects of survival horror, 5 was just a shooter through and through
>>
>>332596520
>it's fucking cancer for deviating

This. If a game has a set expectation and you want to make a game with something different. Make it a new IP.
>>
Fun, but not really a survival horror game.

Also why is that they need to hoeshorn fucking partners in every subsequent game past 4? Shits horribly retarded in 5 with AI Sheva being only useful as extra storage room.
>>
>>332595437
I liked it, but the first RE game I played was 4. Dug the mercenaries mode a lot, was like 90% of the way to all the achievements in it for 5.
>>
>>332596954
Because 'muh co-op', it came out around the "everything needs multiplayer" period and competitive multi wouldn't have made much sense.
>>
>>332597126
>mercenaries mode
Modding that shit and playing with a friend was great.

>400 enemy count
>use trainer to rebind melee moves to specific keys
>2 player godhand
>>
The real question is "was Resident Evil 4 really that good of a game?" when it shares a lot of the issues 5 had.
>>
>>332595437
It's not. Nostalgia fags crying bitch tears as usual. Resident Evil has more action than survival horror at this point.
>>
>>332597446
Resources were more scarce in 4, it felt more than a Survival Horror game, in 5 every shitlord enemy drops ammo.
>>
I had fun running through the campaign a few times with friends, and even some good times with online matchmaking. Never got into Mercenaries too hard on the original release.

All in all it was fine, aside from the whole racism controversy.
>>
>>332597823
I don't think the racism thing had much ground to stand on.

The game was set in North Africa, did they honestly expect you to be killing fucking white people?
>>
>>332597823
I never really understood the racism issue, i mean with resident evil 4 taking place in rural spain and no one having problem killing 'AHI ESTA' y 'AGARRALO'. Yet somehow africans zombies being in africa is atrocious racism.
>>
>>332595437
No, it was just boring. Which is an even worse crime.
>>
No, it was RE4 with co-op for the most part.

The biggest issues was that co-op was forced in the form of a legendarily retarded A.I slut and the general tone of the game was too serious for how stupid and exaggerated the whole plot was. And it only got worse in 6.
>>
>>332597504
>Resident Evil has more action than survival horror at this point.
Incorrect.
>>
no, just too much of a retread. the people heading it had no idea what made 4 so successful and just aped gears of war, etc.
>>
>>332597446
It really didn't. RE4s controls lent to the atmosphere and made the game feel slower paced, even with all of the action. With co-op and the increased number of enemies in 5, especially enemies with AKs in the later sections, the game started to feel really hectic and cluttered. You had a lot more trouble keeping track of what was around you.

Situations where you're getting swarmed from all sides felt claustrophobic. The game would give you vantage points or areas where you could back yourself in and hunker down while mowing down enemies until you run out of ammo and have to make a run for it. When you first get to the village, and when you defend the cabin with Louis, these areas are intense and memorable because you feel helpless, but are given just enough of the resources you need to survive.

RE5 just felt chaotic, cause it was designed for someone to be watching your back. Honestly, the only part I really have fond memories of are the first few areas, and the swamp villages, cause they have the most atmosphere.
>>
>>332598313
4 5 6 REV REV2 and their several rereleases

Yes, yes it is. Tank controls are shit and you are a retard for wanting that back.
>>
File: image.gif (1019 KB, 500x265) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1019 KB, 500x265
>>332595437
The poor boulder didn't deserve this.
>>
>>332598805
4, 5, rev1, and rev2 all have tank controls. (minus the minor strafing while aiming from 5 on). The only difference is the camera is not fixed like the old games.

Not saying you are right or wrong since I dont mind tank controls but also like 6. Just saiyan.
>>
>>332599012
Man Chris is fucking ripped. I wish my body would bulk like his.
>>
>>332598805
1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, Zero, Outbreak, Outbreak 2 and their rereleases.
>>
>>332597823
what, you mean that forced "controversy" to get pagehits?
>>
>>332598125
>>332598228
I understand it, but I don't agree with it. I don't think it was coming from a place of "Africans are savages," it was just cultural ignorance on the part of the Japanese devs. Rural spaniards don't have a history of being basically only portrayed as fearful and violent peasants. Africans do have a history of either being shown as spear-chucking savages (Zulu, the Heart of Darkness) or angry mobs/cigar and beret-toting warlords (Black Hawk Down, Blood Diamond, Hotel Rwanda). Yes, these movies have historical background, but they're the only narrative that makes it to the mainstream.

Not a lot of media depictions of Africa are pleasant, even though the continent does have pleasant areas.
>>
File: 1276124107430.gif (32 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1276124107430.gif
32 KB, 400x400
>>332599012
>>
>>332597446
it was a breath of fresh air for the series. aside from tank controls I can't even think of any issues.
>>
>>332598730
yep. 5 was basically all the worst parts of 4. (the island, etc. )
>>
>>332598730
Revisionist history the post the game

RE4 is non stop action the game. Seriously people replay it
>>
As a standalone game? No.
As a Resident Evil game? Yes.
As a direct successor to 4? Yes.

The forced co-op character that seemed to be added in response to racial comments, the mediocre level design, the mediocre enemy design, the awkward story, the changes to inventory systems, the lack of character and levity.
All of these things hurt the game.

You could easily change some of the dialogue in reference to the RE universe and it would be indistinguishable from any other 3rd person shooter from last gen.

None of this makes it a bad game.
But I didn't like it all that much.
>>
>>332595437
only if you play it by yourself
>>
>>332600270
Why do people cite 5s story as a bad thing? I mean RE plots are dumb but 5 actually closes up the primary conflict. 4 is literally a side story that had barely anything to do with anything
>>
>>332598805
>wanting that back
Nigger, RE still has tank controls. They're not as clunky as they used to be but they're still tank controls.
>>
>>332600626
I said awkward, not bad.
The pacing was bad, the side characters like Masked Jill and Meowth and Josh Stone were barely fleshed out.

I don't think it needed to close up anything, nor do I think 4 was a side story any more than 2 was.
RE's main plot string is "Umbrella invents monsters, stop them". This is the premise of every title.
>>
>>332595437
Re5 was not a bad game just a bad RE. It should have been it's own game.
>>
>>332601938
Upboated for the namefagging :^)
>>
>>332601938
or a spinoff, not a mainline title.
>>
>>332600209
what exactly is considered action? shooting stuff? cause the older games had a fuck ton of that too minus the first one. infact if you added up all 4 scenarios in RE2 you would have about the same number of enemies you would kill in 4. same with 3 in context to how long it is in comparison to 4.
>>
>>332595437
It was a good TPS through the first 2/3rds of the game, but a shitty RE. Mercs mode was godly as well.
>>
It's a great game.

Love the weapons, love the new inventory system but where it fails is the Sheva AI and the fact it isn't spooky at all.
>>
>>332596682
This is how I feel about RE6. Now that game had some good mechanics wrapped up in a bad game that never should've been an RE game.
>>
say what you want about it not being RE, shitty ai partner, end game shootfests ect., but it was by far one of the best coop experiences iv ever had. amazingly fun with a friend, more so than many coop games.
>>
>>332597153
They should have made a 3rd Outbreak if they wanted multiplayer in Resident Evil games
>>
>>332600270
Also, as a side note: Lost in Nightmares is shit.
>>
>>332602373
Survival Horror requires resource management, action does not.

In the later games you can keep slaying enemies and they'll keep dropping ammo so you can keep doing it, in the earlier games they didn't, you had to think before pulling the trigger, will killing the zombie be a waste of a bullet?
>>
>>332602373
The difference being you are almost always forced into combat in 4 and rewarded for it with item drops.
In the previous games, this was opposite in both cases.
>>
>>332602737
>Also, as a side note: Lost in Nightmares is shit.
Woah now, let's not get too carried away.

It needed to be longer than it was, especially considering the final bit of it, but it was great and way better than the main game.
>>
Chris looks like a roided up retard in this game.
>>
>>332600626
>but 5 actually closes up the primary conflict
This is not a good thing considering that the series kind of meandered around, kicking its feet up until Rev 2 after Wesker was killed off.

And if anything, introducing Jake Muller AFTER killing off Wesker was stupid. It would've been so much more interesting if the two actually met and interacted before he died, or hell, if Jake was the one to kill him.
>>
I liked it more then 6. I got a lot of play time out of it and enjoyed merc mode.
>>
>>332603263
Unlockable file in REV2 suggests that he lifts as a way of dealing with his by this point massive PTSD.
>>
>>332603001
What was great about it?
That it was an hour long?
The single mediocre new enemy type who inexplicably carries an anchor?
The recycled Wesker "fight" at the end?
The useless "retro" camera angle that didn't work properly?

You are the definition of nostalgia fag.
>>
>implying Wesker is dead

You know they are going to pull some clone bullshit.
>>
>>332595437
It's one of the best co-op games ever made but it's the earliest indicator that after RE4, and Mikami leaving, Capcom had no fucking clue what to do with the series and so they tried to to turn it into uncharted with zombies.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
>>332595437
Yes. Everything after the Oil Rig was fucking torture to play.

>>332595551
Local Co-Op sucked, their splitscreen was twelve fucking types of retarded. Pic fucking related.

Online Co-Op was bearable. Capcom's online has always been pretty good. Until you passed the Oil Rig.
>>
>>332603748
>I played through the whole game like this multiple times
No idea how i did it.
>>
>You know they are going to pull some clone bullshit.
But they already did that, people are just waiting until Capcom reveals one of the clones
>>
>>332603748
All these retards saying
>it's a great splitscreen co op game though guys!
Nostalgia. Fags.

>>332603748
Thank Christ someone brings up how botched it was.
>>
>>332603616
It was atmospheric as fuck, had some resemblance of level design, great enemy type to fight against, and actually tried to be survival horror?

The Guardians of Insanity were brilliantly designed enemies btw, if we're just talking straight character design.
>>
>>332603657
Kojima is that you
>>
>>332603657
Who needs Albert when you have Alex :^)
>>
>>332602819
>>332602953
lets be honest here, outside of RE1, REmake on hard(chris) and RE0 on Hard no RE has any real issue with ammo management (outside of maybe the firts 1-2hours in some of them). you can kill the shit out of everything in your way. sure you can screw youre self if you miss a lot, but then theres no guarantee enemies will spawn ammo drops for you in 4, its a random chance (higher the lower you are, but not a 100% sure thing). and 4 doesnt actually force you to fight most enemies. you can actually run past most of the encounters in the game (but then why would you which you cna say the same for most of the other games).
>>
>>332604412
You forgot RE:Outbreak series, 4 inventory slots, key items taking those spots, and even less resources than other games, makes it one of the harder managing games in the series, especially if you played solo
>>
>>332604872
Fuck that. Can you at least just drop items? Fucking Code Veronica.
>>
>>332604142
>atmospheric
For all of 30 seconds, maybe. Then they started jumpscaring with the dead bodies.
>great enemy type, amazing design, etc.
The guys that carried anchors in a sewer under a mansion?
>to fight against
You walked them to a spike trap, then pressed a button.

This is the best thing to come of RE5.
And I don't mean Sheva as a character, I mean literally this costume.
>>
>>332604412
I remember playing RE2 and it gave you so much ammo at the start I ended up spending it everywhere and then suddenly it runs out and I barely had any to scrape by. But as I got better at the games I found myself being very meticulous and learning to knife fight as best as I can. I remember beating like half the bosses in zero with the knife without looking at a guide.
>>
>>332605136
Bit too negro for my tastes, the costume, but Sheva is damn fine.
>>
File: 0b673d6b-noscale.jpg (222 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
0b673d6b-noscale.jpg
222 KB, 1920x1080
>>332605237
>he doesn't want to tame a fit Amazonian warrior princess by wrestling her to the ground and taking her in the savannah
Wew
>>
>>332604872
true, but then that game is HEAVILY coop based almost to the point of solo being pointless. its more like a group inventory. one person uses the firearms while the others stay back. one on healing duty, one for melee and keys ect.
>>
>>332604405
But she ate a rocket as well.

I really don't want to see any more Wesker crap in RE. The asspull that was Jake is already enough.

If they're planning to make RE7 then they better move on to the Ada Wong mysteries and the organization she's been working for the whole time.
>>
>>332605136
>>332605485
Sheva really is damn fine.

I also like the African setting.
>>
>>332605590
That's why it's probably one of the best Resident evil games for Co-op, even when you we're playing with friends you still felt helpless. A lot of the shit you needed to do in scenarios ended with the team being split up
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
>>332605603
>he doesn't know
Don't worry, Barry and my new sisters are safe with me :^)
>>
>>332605816
I'm still fucking mad they never added co-op to the campaign.
>but nobody would want to play the support characters!

Fuck you I would throw bricks all god damn day.
>>
File: Dark_Natalia_(5).jpg (171 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Natalia_(5).jpg
171 KB, 1360x768
>>332606087
Except it was, you retardus.
>>
>>332606458
I apologize, I meant online co-op.
>>
>>332605816
Fine they can use her in REV3 or something but another Wesker catastrophe in the main installment series would be bullshit.
>>
File: remake.jpg (80 KB, 640x903) Image search: [Google]
remake.jpg
80 KB, 640x903
Can we stop pretending that this game is some sort of divine gift from the gods? It's really a worse game than the original when you look past the graphics.
>Let's artificially extend game time by adding in more boring puzzles. Like just placing this book into the bookcase isn't enough, let's have them arbitrarily reorder them. We'll also make players constantly examine their key items for even more added tedium.
>Let's add in some new areas too. How about we completely waste the outer woods area on some statue shifting puzzle? How about we make one of the door knobs suddenly bust and force players to take a longer route to get to an area they had access to already? Let's also put in a painfully idiotic box transferring sequence in the caverns! Don't forget transferring that tank of nitrogen.
>Let's also add in Lisa Trevor, whose character is irrelevant with an utterly pointless and easy boss battle that accomplishes equally as much.
>We'll also make headshots random! In addition to making your desperation weapons a gamble and reducing the reward of ammo conservation, we'll introduce the Crimson Head mechanic that will get effectively nullified halfway through the game when Hunters replace them in the mansion!
Fuck that. This game barely resembles survival horror at all. It's a fucking Zelda game with horror tropes. But unlike the previous REs, there isn't even any satisfaction to be found in either the combat or the puzzles. Seriously, it's just "busywork: the game".
>>
>>332597446
5 would be like if 4 gave ashley a downs sydrome suicidal AI
>>
File: Dark_natalia.jpg (22 KB, 675x960) Image search: [Google]
Dark_natalia.jpg
22 KB, 675x960
>>332606590
>he doesn't want an RE7 in which goth loli Natalia Wesker is the big bad, manipulating the Burton family all over again, referencing Albert in 1 and acts like the a best of Alexia Ashford
>>
>>332607089
Throw in Jake Muller as the protagonist and you have yourself a big ol family get-together.
>>
>>332607379
As much as I'd love to see Jake Muller again, and I do, he's way too damn powerful to be a protagonist in another RE game. Dude is like mini-Wesker or something, he's already basically the strongest pure human on RE Earth already. If you take that away and just make him super vulnerable, then it's not even Jake Muller anymore.

What they need to do is either give him an action game spinoff (which you know Capcom would fuck up anyway) or just give him a DLC episode or something where he's the focus, and is just a side character in the campaign of the next RE game.
>>
>>332607695
>(which you know Capcom would fuck up anyway)
They've still got Itsuno.
>>
>>332607831
Who has fuck all to do with RE.

Who the fuck is even in charge of the RE franchise anymore? They've been doing a better job since Rev 1.
>>
>>332605136
>Jumpscares
If you are a pussy
>>
>>332595437
It's the same shit as RE4 but with strafing and a co-op partner.
>>
>>332608779
>not just using classic controls
I've used classic controls in every modern RE that has had the option.
>>
File: jill3.webm (2 MB, 600x524) Image search: [Google]
jill3.webm
2 MB, 600x524
Buttle suit Jill was great.
>>
>>332609203
No not really. But BSAA Jill was fucking great and the best design she's ever had.

God I love RE character design.
>>
>>332609203
I didn't know that game had Raiden in it
>>
File: 21-15D-thegif.gif (307 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
21-15D-thegif.gif
307 KB, 480x270
>>332609425
>That costume wasn't in Revelations 2
For fuck sake's, capcom.
>>
The game is strangely replayable.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.