[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pokemon Battling question. Someone please help me with a team
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: poke_group.png (418 KB, 651x465) Image search: [Google]
poke_group.png
418 KB, 651x465
Pokemon Battling question.

Someone please help me with a team building question. So I'm making my first competitive team and I'd like to know A. what you think and B. What remaining two pokes I should use.
So far I have:
Dragonite (tank)
Mega Blaziken (phys sweeper)
Espeon (sp sweeper)
Skarmory (defensive wall)
Any Ideas or suggestions?
>>
A general rule of any pokemon team is always have a water fire and grass type. You can counter almost any pokemon team. Never only run special based or physical base.
Learn your types and weaknesses and resistances
>>
File: senpai laugh.webm (1 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
senpai laugh.webm
1 MB, 960x540
>>332594251
>Espeon
>Special sweeper

Alright, what format do you want to battle in, first of all?
>>
>>332594251
You need a good staller ferrothorn could be good. A deterant for phys attackers too
>>
>>332595194

I'm not too concerned with that but thats mostly because I don't know the community that well? I know OU is generally what everyone plays so I guess OU? I think that rules out Blaziken if I do that?

Are the tiers really taken that seriously?
>>
I would suggest asking this question over in /vp/ too, OP.
>>
>>332595194
>>332595431

Also why Espeon be bad for that high base sp attack and high base spd

Keep in mind that I do want to win but I don't care to use what EVERYONE uses
>>
>>332595431
Not taken super seriously but not all pokemon are created equal and you'll see that pretty quick
>>
>>332595431
Low tier Pokemon can have niche roles, but that's something you'll generally see in doubles more. In the Smogon metagame, certain rules mean that a few playstyles and strategies have become prominent.

And yeah, Blaziken as a mega is banned in OU.

>>332595704
Because it has no coverage. It's biggest use is as a Baton Passer, and for it's Hidden Ability, Magic Bounce, which screws over things like Stealth Rocks that are otherwise super common in Smogon singles.
>>
>>332595704
Because there are better pokemon at being a special sweep. Espeon is better at stalling with toxic and stopping spikes and such
>>
>>332596094

I'm not a hundred percent on what you mean by coverage (again new to this) any suggestions on helping me build a team then?

I know I want a Dragonite and if I play in OU i could maybe use Mega Blastoise as a spinner or make my mega a mega Scizor as a phys sweeper?

I don't know any help?
>>
>>332596441
Coverage basically means how much shit a Pokemon can hit with the attacks in it's movepool. For Espeon, it gets walled incredibly easily by steel types, for instance, with which the only answer it has is Hidden Power Fire. On the other hand, something like a Starmie with Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and another coverage move of your choice hits everything either neutral or supereffective, and it matches Espeon in speed and power. Like I said, most people utilize Espeon in a support role, Baton Passing buffs, bouncing back predicted status moves or field hazards, and so on.

I don't know enough about Mega Blastoise to say, but I think it should be plausible to use it as a spinner. Keep in mind though that Ferrothorn is one of the more common Stealth Rock set uppers, and Blastoise can't hurt it outside of the unreliable Focus Blast.

Mega Scizor is more used for it's defensive boosts. Regular Scizor actually has MORE attack power than the mega thanks to the Life Orb item. So most people use their Mega slot on a stronger mega, or if they like Scizor, they assign it to a defensive role to take hits that a regular Scizor would die to.

Can't say I know too much about Dragonite either, but make sure you get one with Multiscale. It's biggest boon is that ability, which combined with Roost, really helps it tank shit. A favorite noob tactic is Weakness Policy Dragon Dance Extremespeed Dragonite, if you want to mess around with that.

It's been way too long since I've had a chance to go full autist on this topic, I'd recommend heading to /vp/, you might get more replies there.
>>
-look at banlists for OU (blaziken is too broken)

-make sure you have pokemon that counter popular mons like the genies/garchomp/etc.

-always have at least one stealth rock user and one defog/rapid spinner
>>
>>332594251
Go read the Smogon webzine, the Smog. They've got some pretty good articles on the subject.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue28/teambuilding
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue42/good-teambuilding-cores-ou
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/leads
>>
File: Ash.jpg (27 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Ash.jpg
27 KB, 500x375
Just use your favorites
>>
>>332594251
/v/ is going to be a shit play to answer questions about team building. /vp/ might be decent, but I've honestly not been there in years and don't know how bad it is.

You need to mention which version and what format (singles, doubles) you are playing in, because that greatly changes how teams are going to be composed.

You need to mention what level you are planning on playing at, and know what the current meta is. That's why /v/ is such a bad place for advice: there is no clue what the Pokemon meta is, and so could be offering sound but ultimately terrible advice.

>So far I have:
>Dragonite (tank)
>Mega Blaziken (phys sweeper)
>Espeon (sp sweeper)
>Skarmory (defensive wall)
As far as I know, Fairy is everywhere and so dragons (especially as a tank) is a terrible idea.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.