[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do people like JRPGs? I honestly don't know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 1280px-Flag_of_Japan.svg[1].png (17 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Flag_of_Japan.svg[1].png
17 KB, 1280x853
How the fuck do people like JRPGs? I honestly don't know if the japs are worse at narrative or characterization, which are both fucking abysmal. In other jap games these can be overcome by good gameplay, but in JRPGs gameplay is just one of many factors competing to be the worst fucking thing in the game.
>>
>>332593739
please list the jrpgs you have played
>>
>>332593739
for every 30 jrpg games out there, there's one great one
the vast majority of it is hot garbage though, I'll give you that
>>
>>332593903
It's like Stephen King novels. When you release dozens of books, you're gonna have some shit ones.
>>
>>332593871
butthurt weeb detected
>>
File: and.png (33 KB, 111x192) Image search: [Google]
and.png
33 KB, 111x192
>>332594030
please list the jrpgs you have played
>>
I've never seen a good poster that uses anime images on this site. They're the same kinds of people who eat shit like xenosaga up and call it one of the best things ever. Literally the worst game I've ever played in my life
>>
>>332593903
Take out the jrpg part and you've described all video games perfectly. maybe bump the 30 to 200, though.
>>
Western RPGs aren't any better. If you're expecting high grade literature out of videogames, you're bound to be disappointed.
>>
>>332593739
I like exploration and colorful, comfy worlds

While western RPGs can also provide the exploration part, they often try too hard to be dark and serious
>>
>>332593739
Play SMT nocturne, JRPG that is 5%story and 95% gameplay
>>
>>332594874
Embarrassing.
>>
>>332594874
this poster is a huehue
>>
>>332593739
>animu plot
>traditional JRPG combat always rewards the player naturally through playing the game
>when done right, grinding can lead to some meditation-esque zen moments
>>
>>332593739
butthurt westcuck
>>
File: 1455881328222.jpg (20 KB, 255x250) Image search: [Google]
1455881328222.jpg
20 KB, 255x250
>>332594874
I sure do love 4chan clones with pops so small it's hours between posts
>>
Why are people who don't like jrpgs so assblasted over them at all times?
>>
File: 1450335636638.png (2 MB, 1578x1843) Image search: [Google]
1450335636638.png
2 MB, 1578x1843
>>332593739
only the samurai make games where you kill yahweh
>>
It's ok if you don't like JRPGs.

Just find something you enjoy to play and have a good day.
>>
>>332595603
Some people really hate colorful and happy things
>>
I love Japan
Period.
>>
>>332593739
>I played Neptunia so I am now an expert on JRPGs
>>
>>332596127
>>>/jp/
>>
>>332594030
How exactly does this make him a weeb? He just wants to know what JRPGs OP has played.
>>
>>332594030
What exactly is a "weeb" game? The term weeaboo has seemingly lost all meaning and I don't even know what it denotes anymore. Would it describe any of the following?
>has an "anime" art that panders to otaku in order to get them to waste money on virtual girlfriends? (e.g. Neptunia)
>does not use what people instantly perceive as an anime art style, but still has crazy over the top fighting and action associated with anime? (e.g., Devil May Cry)
>about Japanese mythology or history? (e.g. Nobunaga's Ambition)
>about "normal" stuff that just happens to take place in Japan. (e.g. 98 Koshien)
>developed by Japanese people, even if it isn't about Japan or features Japanese characters. (e.g. Operation Europe)
If so, I can see problems with all 5 of those definitions.
1. Even if it's an anime game without waifu pandering, e.g. Fist of the North Star for the PS2 or Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it's still based on an anime franchise. Would these shows not be "weeb" because you don't perceive them as embarrassing?
2. Even if the characters are white, doesn't the ridiculous nature still matter? Why would it matter if the characters are not canonically asian?
3. By this board's definition, wouldn't Japanese mythology or history only be interesting to weeaboos? How is an interest in samurai less "weeaboo" than an interest in, say anime or Japanese pro wrestling? Because it actually happened? The same could be said of numerous deplorable events in history, but you're not studying the Tuol Sleng Genocide and glorifying Pol Pot.
4.Couldn't it be argued that you only care because it's about Japanese characters? How likely would you be to play a game that's the Indian or Kenyan equivalent of a game like Yakuza?
5. It was still developed by Japanese people, so shouldn't that "taint" it?
Is this just simple racism now? Have we reached the point where weeaboo no longer means an obsession with Japan's superiority but just anything associated the country's output at all?
>>
>>332593739
t. undertale fan
>>
>>332595617
Christfags ruin everything.
>>
>try final fantasy 4 and 6
>the beginning is just a big long cutscene in both games
fucking dropped, fuck JRPGs

only good final fantasy is 1 and 3

dragon quest and SMT are good too
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.