[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The golden age of consoles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: GOAT.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
GOAT.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
The sixth generation of consoles is the greatest there ever was.

>games didn't cost 200 million dollars to make
This is probably the most important point on the list. I couldn't find a number but somebody find the percentage of FPS games on the ps4. It's fucking depressing. 6th gen games were free to explore anything they wanted; classics like katamri damacy and super monkey ball where the joy is in simply rolling a ball around. There's a huge variety of genres and MANY games to explore. The ps2 had over 2000 games for Christ sake. They took risks and didn't follow a formula like Sequalitis Shooter #14 or a modern Ubisoft game

>the graphics had style
6th generation games had to stylize because they weren't good enough to be photorealistic. It's still a joy to boot up Okami, wind waker, super mario sunshine, shadow of the colossus etc. its a fuck of a lot more interesting than 50 shades of brown nowadays.

>no dlc
developers actually released a full experience. they wasn't any incentive to leave shit out and sell it twice. another awesome thing is that there were no patches so games had fantastic quality assurance; no game breaking bugs from day 1.

>the games expected much and you rose up to the challenge
Games have been getting progressively easier as time goes on. The 6th gen still had dignity in difficulty. You had to develop a firm grasp on the mechanics if you wanted to win, unlike modern games where they believe everybody should see the credits.

>6th gen emphasized games as interactive experiences
Games nowadays are cinematic and too interested in making you always look cool. 6th gen placed a lot of value in meaningful player input, they made interacting the main draw and the fun. Videogames are ultimately about interacting with the screen of course. Fzero GX, Godhand, soul calibur 2, Shadow of the Collossus, Ikaruga, Spartan: Total Warrior and the rest of the gens greatest games stand as some of the best interactive experiences the medium has to offer.
>>
>>332570996
I left some shit out because I hit the 2k limit, if you have any more reasons why 6th gen is still the best then add to the discussion. One obvious one is couch co-op, that shit was tight and so many games had it.
>>
sixth gen was p. cool
>>
k
>>
>>332570996
Why don't game developers just listen to us?
>>
>Not 4th gen
>>
>>332570996
Games don't cost $200m to make still. Companies just pour that much into them to gain what they think (and occasionally) will be an edge.

Too bad regardless of how much money they spend, the games are shit. But because these games were released regardless, sometimes even to critical acclaim, they set the precedent, especially in the area of graphics, so other devs think they have to match up to them. So now many studios spend the vast majority of the development budget on graphics instead of making what could actually be an interesting, new, fun game.

EA's to blame.
>>
Eh gens 3-6 were all great.

I don't even have any problem with gens 7-8 other than all the DLC/on disc DLC/GOTY/special edition/figurine DLC/microtransaction cash grab bullshit.
>>
>>332572392
game developers are dictated by their investors, who are dictated by money. that's why it seems like far cry primal and other modern games are following a formula, because they are. input x+y+z trends and they project to make 1.75x their investment. to name those trendy mechanics: open world, ultra violence, stealth, crafting, base takeover etc.
>>
>>332570996
>Games have been getting progressively easier as time goes on. The 6th gen still had dignity in difficulty. You had to develop a firm grasp on the mechanics if you wanted to win, unlike modern games where they believe everybody should see the credits.
There's an interesting story here about ratchet and clank, it had difficulty that changed the more you died, the way they tricked people into it was by making sure all players of any skill level got through the same levels with roughly the same ammounts of deaths
>>
>>332570996
>Sequalitis

Stopped reading there. Kill yourself.
>>
>>332570996
I think the budget of modern day games have given rise to indies, and i like indies, they can explore older, less popular genres and make generally interesting games, 6th gen AAA and current indies would be fucking amazing.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.