[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't Nintendo buy Rare?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Rare_logo.png (74 KB, 270x365) Image search: [Google]
Rare_logo.png
74 KB, 270x365
Why didn't Nintendo buy Rare?
>>
Are you really questioning Nintendo's business decisions? They're fucking retards ran by the same old Japs that have been running it forever and are afraid of new voices.
>>
>>332565638

Yamauchi lost most of his NOA production staff because they got pissed and walked when NCL wouldn't allow NOA to expand to sign developers and games indepdendently. He didn't want to invest in offshore development studios when there was no more staff that could work with them. Rare was notoriously difficult to work with and the culture was at odds with NCL (Miyamoto HATED Grabbed By The Ghoulies because of the humor) so he turned it down when offered.

Iwata would have put them on mobile games before he died like NSTC anyway
>>
Rare sold their half of the shares to Microsoft and Nintendo didn't want to bother with that shit, so they sold their shares.
>>
>>332565638
Buying rare now wouldnt mean shit anyway all the good developers left and currently working on Yooka laylee except that backstabbing faggot Chris Seavor
>>
>>332565638
Why? The talents have left a long long time ago.
>>
They assumed they wouldn't be successful without them so they just let them go.

And they were 100% right.
>>
>>332565638
They are a strong, independent company that needs no third parties
>>
>>332565638
Nintendo realized Rare was about to turn into a burning hulk, and let Microsoft buy them.

Do you really think Rare would've been better being a 2nd party Nintendo developer? You guys would just talk about banjo kazooie shovelware.
>>
because all the good devs left rare before they sold it to MS
>>
>>332565638

This >>332567091
and they kinda took Rare for granted.
On the other hand, Microsoft, because they're as sleazy as they come, did an hostile takeover of rare thinking they would acquire the Star Fox and Donkey Kong franchises (they never cared for the others if you look at their track record)
>>
>>332568684
>shovelware
you're a fucking dumbass
B&K is great and you're a blatant faggot if you think otherwise
>>
>>332566670
The question is about RARE you dumb fuck.
>>
>>332565638
Because they were a garbage company that could only make a serviceable game when Nintendo was holding their hand. When that didn't work anymore, Nintendo dumped them and sold them to MS, where they released one embarrassment after another.
>>
Didn't the Stampers initially refuse to allow Nintendo to buy more than the 49% they did?
>>
>>332568946
Banjo Tooie was mediocre
>>
>>332568946
No, BK is fucking faggotry.
>>
>>332569173
Fuck you, faggot, Tooie was leauges better than Kazooie
>>
>>332569173
You. Me. My house. Now.
>>
>>332566670
>Retardation: The post
>>
File: GoldenMan.png (278 KB, 420x410) Image search: [Google]
GoldenMan.png
278 KB, 420x410
>>332569059

>Nintendofags will NEVER EVER get the real version of Viva Pinata
>>
>>332569173
Eh, Tooie wasn't great, but I wouldn't call it mediocre.
Not as good as the original, for sure.
And Nuts&Bolts is a good game, but an awful BK title.
It's also the reason I got a 360.
>>
Nintendo has been making stupid decisions since the N64. Nothing new really.
>>
>>332565638
>Implying Nintendo knows anything about business at this point.
>>
Looking back most of their games aren't that great.
>>
>There are retards in this thread that thorw shit to Rare
>There are retards in this thread that don't realize Nintendo could own Rare IP's and make more great games
>There are retards in this thread

I'm not surprised these are the same people that still suck Iwata's shit business decisions.
>>
Nintendo was interested in buying Rare, they even had an option to do so and explored it. They weren't willing to pay what Microsoft was and the majority shareholders in Rare weren't going to take any less.

https://dromble.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/dolphin-tale-story-of-gamecube/

You can find the details in that link, which is a good read.
>>
>>332569356
But VP was on the Wii
>>
Nintendo saw the direction Rare was headed and made an offer. Thing is, it wasn't as much as what Microsoft offered. Nintendo didn't up the ante so everything went to Microsoft. Of course now, it's obvious how bad it was, but hindsight is 20/20; seemed like a good buy for Microsoft at the time.

Basically what >>332569713 said.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.