[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
System Shock and/or Old games thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8
File: Shodan.jpg (3 MB, 5100x3338) Image search: [Google]
Shodan.jpg
3 MB, 5100x3338
Greetings /v/
I've been playing old games I missed out on, started with Fallout 1-2, Baldur's Gate 1-2, Might and Magic 8 (played 6-7 and 9 before) and a few more.
I started playing System Shock I just got to the 2nd level.
But I read somewhere that System Shock 2 is a lot better, and that maybe I should skip the first game because it's not necessary to "understand" the second one.
Thoughts?

Old games thread? I guess

ps: also got Planescape Torment but didn't check it out yet
>>
SS1 is better than 2 don't skip it you fag.
>>
File: arach.jpg (45 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
arach.jpg
45 KB, 500x641
>>332547026
bump
>>
File: unknown.jpg (17 KB, 216x322) Image search: [Google]
unknown.jpg
17 KB, 216x322
>>332547373
alright maybe I read a crappy article then
>>
>>332547026
Baldur's Gate 1 is a boring, generic piece of shit

>>332547373
Don't listen to this
>>
>>332547026
I tried playing SS1 but it aged like your mom, it's absolutely impossible. Wait for the remake, unless of course they elect to change everything/add achievements/turn it into a movie. SS2 on the other hand is still bearable, go for it.
>>
>>332548287
You're probably just autistic. I played it a few weeks ago and it was great.
>>
don't listen to these queers, SS1 is still a masterpiece. make sure you play it with the mouselook mod
>>
>>332547660
>Baldur's Gate 1 is a boring, generic piece of shit
Okay, what about BG2 then?
>>
>>332548671
Haven't played it but I've heard good things. The main thing I hated about BG1 was the setting, there was nothing interesting about it to me at all. I also didn't finish the game, but the combat was mostly autoattacks for the first few hours. Very little strategy there. Fallout 1 and 2 also had terrible combat, but the setting saved those games.
>>
File: mall.jpg (316 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mall.jpg
316 KB, 1024x768
>>332548548
I'm playing that way, with the mouselook mode, it's pretty good.
I'll just continue playing the first one then, I've got the time and as I said I like it so far.
>>332548671
I wouldn't say that the BG games blew my mind but I think both were okay. If I played them when they came out my opinion probably would've been better of them
Fallout 1-2, now those I really liked

and I like the premise of Planescape Torment, but I just started the game and killed the first 3 zombies and that's it, so can't say anything
>>
Anybody saw the system shock remake? It looks fucking neat
https://youtu.be/okPLF9Ad9ns
>>
>>332547026
Shodan will hunt your dreams OP, stay away from this game, I beg of you ;_;
>>
File: somewhere-in-time[1].jpg (747 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
somewhere-in-time[1].jpg
747 KB, 1920x1200
>>332549838
There's something I love about how amateur that image looks. It's like 80s metal cover art.
>>
File: 1533279-combat.png (92 KB, 656x436) Image search: [Google]
1533279-combat.png
92 KB, 656x436
Has anybody played Betrayal at Krondor ?
>>
>>332547026
System Shock 2 is pretty cool but its arguable on whether which one is better. I personally think SS2 is better. SS2 also has Co-op which I never played.
>>
>>332547026
SS1 is way better than its sequel, I'd recommend playing through both.
>>
>>332547373
I love old PC games but SS1 makes me feel like a fucking casual. something about it has never clicked with me, despite the fact that I enjoy it a lot more conceptually than SS2.

/v/ help me love SS1 the way I know I should.
>>
>>332552393
Don't feel too bad. SS1 is a legit hard game and doesn't fuck around. It took me over 2 months to beat it because I refused to use a walkthrough. Listen to the soundtrack and hopefully it'll convince you give it another try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIUgojwub9U
>>
>>332547026
play Thief 1&2
>>
File: Ultima_Underworld_cover.png (223 KB, 300x385) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_Underworld_cover.png
223 KB, 300x385
Just finished playing Ultima Underworld 1 a few days ago and all I gotta say is GOD DAMN. Once you comfy the awkward controls and dated interface it really is one of the greatest games I think I ever played. Totally recommend it anyone who hasn't played it yet.

rip LGS ;_;7
>>
>>332547026
I'm playing the first one and having a great time.
Mindblown by how they managed to make such a game back then. Of course i'm playing the Enhanced Edition, so i might be biased.
>>
>>332553103
They should make some gameplay rework akin to that of SS1. Mouse look please.

Nevertheless this game is fucking awesome.
>>
File: mt2.jpg (161 KB, 864x621) Image search: [Google]
mt2.jpg
161 KB, 864x621
>>332550515
Man shifting gears to JRPGs for a minute, Megami Tensei II's art hits this note for me as well. Really neat mix of the gorier anime from the era with a lot of Western inspiration. Game's sick as well, like a lot of older JRPGs it feels closer to some older WPGs of its time.

>>332552659
Goddamn this music is my shit. I'm sold, I'll give it another go soon.
>>
guys how do i get into FO1 & 2? Generally i have zero problems with "outdated" graphics and mechanics.... except when it comes to isometric fallouts, the combat makes me want to gouge my eyes out. It would be fine if it was a squad based game, or if it had any tactical elements outside the obvious, or if it were heavily story driven with book-tier writing (like Ps:T)... But its none of those things, early on its pure agony unless you cheese your way to OP gear and even then its tedious as hell and incredibly frustrating at times. Every battle feels like a savescumfest until you get favorable results which defeats the point of the entire combat system.

Sorry for this outburst but i have 9 hours on FO1 (4ish attempts) and 23 in FO2 (must have started over atleast 10 times) and ive pretty much given up with them at this point.
>>
>>332555029
Probably not your thing then, but have you read the manual? It helps you get into the mindset a bit more and has some tips for starting builds and the like.
>>
>>332555029
>Every battle feels like a savescumfest
fallout in a nutshell
>>
Anybody have that picture of best DOS games? I forgot to save it.
>>
>>332555482
Worth giving it a go the next time i feel like trying.
>>
>>332551759
Cool game. I personally prefer creating my own party and the whole novel approach with separate chapters with different characters was a bit annoying in my opinion.
But still overall really awesome gameplay and style. Catching a disease and panicking/limping to the next church.. It had some great moments.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.