[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the vita is so great why did it flop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: 1.jpg (41 KB, 581x196) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
41 KB, 581x196
If the vita is so great why did it flop?
>>
>>332521543
Kids don't buy handhelds anymore, they all have smartphones now.
>>
>>332521697
I'd argue the opposite, kids still buy handhelds, but the vita was targeted at teenagers
>>
>>332521543
Because specs dont matter. That's why this pc-mustard race is so stupid. It doesnt matter if you dont get the games or if the product overall sucks.
>>
I enjoy my Vita and 3DS so I have no stake but

>IndieGamerChick
>>
>I get to arbitrarily decide what is and isn't a flop

Okay.
>>
>>332521543
Lack of support and normue games. Had it succeeded in sales 3ds would have bedn dead in the water
>>
mobile market ate it's lunch
sony did a really shitty job marketing it in all region
the memory prices made it cost way too much for most of the market to bother

They also lost MH which killed momentum in Japan
>>
>>332521543
Doesn't attract normies
>>
File: 1412553350286.png (5 KB, 205x186) Image search: [Google]
1412553350286.png
5 KB, 205x186
Because:
a. Smartphones
b. Retards bought the 3DS
c. No Monster Hunter because Capcom is a business and doesn't actually want to make the best games possible
d. Sony's first party was super weak

Also it only flopped in the US. In Japan it's still going strong. Hell it's still getting releases over here as well.
>>
>>332521989
Even in the west it still gets tons of translation announcements
>>
>>332521989
I dunno, monster hunter games have usually been top notch

it's more like capcom finds the best selling thing first and then does their best
>>
>>332522060
That most end up ported elsewhere.
>>
>>332521989
>Retards bought the 3DS
>No Monster Hunter on Vita

So they're just supposed to avoid new Monster Hunter games because they aren't on Vita?
>>
If you like weeb shit it's great, but if you don't like weeb shit you're a fucking idiot for buying one.
>>
>>332522139
Whatever helps you sleep at night
>>
>>332522274
Just calling it as I see it.
>>
>>332521987
This, normies stick with smartphones. 3DS success is something I don't get.
>>
>>332522184
No, but Monster Hunter on Vita would run a whole lot better and not look like a blurry piece of shit.
>>
>>332521543
>sexier
>gamerchick
Check your privilege slut girls cant be sexy in video games or talk about sex its against feminism.
>>
>Just finished Senran Kagura EV
>Got Project diva X in the mail
>Ia/VT was great near the end
best flop ever

All they needed to do was make a gran turismo, and an ace combat anthology with 4, 5 and 0 and the thing would have sold alot better. But hey,. what do i know right? OBVIOUSLY what the kids want is MLB the show and shity indie games
>>
>>332522372
Nintendo's First Party support
>>
No games.
>>
Sony combatted piracy and thus shat where they ate. The PSP success widely came from it being the ultimate emulation machine.
>>
It didn't have games
>>
>>332522417
If Rockstar would have made a GTA for it the vita would have sold to normalfags in droves
>>
>>332521896

I'd say that the Vita is objectively a flop, at least in Sony's eyes. Save for a relatively small niche community that plays the few small niche games that get released on it, it's basically dead.
>>
>>332521543

proprietary sd cards.

not a single game that i want to play. i bought a 3ds because of monster hunter, pokemon and fire emblem.

i bought a psp because of monster hunter.

vita has literally nothing i want to play. it's a fucking weeb machine.
>>
>>332521543
smartphones
>>
>>332521543
Pricepoint and a lame launch library hurt initial sales which hurt developer support so it barely got any games. This continued to hurt sales until Sony gave up on it. It's a damn shame. It was a really nice handheld.
>>
>>332521543
Because if you want to play a real game you use a console or PC. If you want to game on the move you play a 5 minute game on your phone.
>>
>>332522390
>monster hunter
>not looking like a blurry piece of shit
the game could be on the fucking ps4/one and still looks like shit. they are not going to waste their money on that since people is going to buy the game anyways
>>
>>332522476

That doesn't explain the units sold in the first year and a half
>>
File: 1459158233330.jpg (183 KB, 968x968) Image search: [Google]
1459158233330.jpg
183 KB, 968x968
No western devs support
The Vita was full of weebshit but it still had plenty of western games like Motorsport, Killzone and shit.
The PSV got like 5 western AAA games and that's it
>>
Most of the games were japan only
>>
Is it possible to pirate games/emulate games on the vita yet?

If so, I might consider getting one cheap on eBay or something.
>>
>>332521697
Wrong

>>332521543
It's because the vita has no selling point from games. Your ps3 can play most things a vita can. The DS on the other hand has titles like Mario, and Pokemon which collectively brings in a massive amount of people to buy their handhelds that wouldn't normally get a Nintendo console. Vita is left as a niche because of this.
>>
>expensive memory card you cant use in other devices
>the memory card is bound to a single account, so if you want to import you need multiple
>dlc is regionlocked and doesn't tell you at purchase, so if you started the savefile for an imported game on your own region, you are fucked
>needs you to install an application to be able to transfer pictures or savedata
>sony barely gave it a chance, only held alive by third party
>eu vita psn store is horrible and unsorted, never got updated
>>
>>332522708
The first year and a half for 3DS was terrible. There were articles all over the place about how bad it was doing. Which makes sense, because all 3DS had during its first six months were ports of N64 games
>>
>>332522274
>Setsuna
>Nights of Azure
>>
vita was just a locked-down psp
>>
>>332521543
Sony in general has been completely terrible at business for years. The ps4 "won" this generation entirely because micr$hit shat the bed. Just ask /biz/ for more info on the other crap Sony has been up to.
>>
Can I hack mine yet? I haven't touched it in a good year.
>>
>>332522967
Those were developed as multiplat from the start
>>
File: 2016-03-27-150908.jpg (165 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-27-150908.jpg
165 KB, 960x544
>>332522773
>No western devs support
Unfortunately this
>>
>>332522908

Yeah. Then Nintendo upped the ante with first party titles, cut the price, and gave out free games to early adopters so they wouldn't be salty about said price cut.

Sony on the other hand dumped the Vita at the first sign of poor sales, and it never really attempted to promote/revive it at all after launch.
>>
If the WiiU is so great, why did it flop?

Nobody cares about how good something is. All they care about is if they can play games they like with their friends. The WiiU could have twice as many games of the same quality they already have and nobody would care.
>>
Doesn't have system sellers, like Pokemon. Current most popular Sony games don't really fit handheld. It shared too many games with PS3 and now PS4. Overpriced shitty memory cards.
>>
>>332522130
If capcom did their best then monhun wouldn't be stuck on the worst current hardware. That shit would have been stuck on everything.
>>
>>332521753
>Kids still buy handhelds
I don't like smartphones/tablets either but you're wrong.
Just the other day I was at a restaurant and I saw like 3 kids with big plastic shitty tablets. I looked it up later and saw that you can buy a "kids tablet" for around $50 from various manufacturers.
As a parent, what's a better option for your kid: a $200 games-only machine, or a $50 tablet whose "they can use it for school too!" meme hasn't died yet?
>>
>>332522823

Also interested, bump.
>>
>>332522372
Monster hunter and Pokemon saved the system in Japan and the US, respectively.

Everyone loves to forget that the 3DS was just as dead as the Vita until those 2 games saved it.
>>
>>332523682
What do they even play on the damn thing?
>>
Sonydrones only care about graphics.
>>
>>332523867
Watch youtube, play mobile games. Y'know, the usual crap that'll get their attention away from their parents.
>>
>>332522664
I used to think this until I got my Vita. Calling things comfy is kind of a meme but being able to curl up in bed or on the sofa with a JRPG is really nice
>>
>>332523867
just whatever f2p crap they can get their hands on
>>
>>332522908

Yet 3DS first year was double the Vita's.

It only got shit on because it was following the DS. An impossible task. It didn't actually do that badly when you consider the shrinking handheld market.
>>
>>332523865
Yeah, I remember that Ambassador program.
>>
>mfw I remember the constant "Vita will kill 3DS" threads around the time of launch
>all those fanboys saying Vita will sell because it has two sticks alone
>"Call of Duty will be the killer app"
>>
>>332522417
Man fuck you

I love playing The Show on the road
>>
>>332522708
Blind Nintendo faith
>>
>>332524140
It was double but it was still shit. Goodwill from the DS was likely responsible for whatever sales it managed back then, and despite the Vita technically having the same base price, the memory cards caused it to cost way more than what most were willing to bother with for a dedicated handheld.
>>
File: 1459208432112.png (115 KB, 222x290) Image search: [Google]
1459208432112.png
115 KB, 222x290
>advertised on how the graphics are so amazing and it's like a PS3 in your pocket
>can't even run games at native res
They had 1 job
>>
>>332524239
It might have worked for them somehow if the game wasn't actually bad.
>>
Kids don't want sexy handhelds

Adults don't want handhelds
>>
>>332521543
Poor marketing in the west, lackluster initial titles even compared to 3DS, pushing ports of games that aren't good for on-the-move play that get a bad framerate, high price, weird translation policies and not getting monhun

Pretty much the things 3DS managed to get right besides having a good launch library
>>
File: 1371753091794.jpg (38 KB, 268x265) Image search: [Google]
1371753091794.jpg
38 KB, 268x265
They released the thing on the market way too late
Kids and adults would rather play games on their phones than a dedicated system and devs wanted to work on the PS4 instead of a handheld
Add to that the lack of advertising due to it being the period when Sony lost Kevin Butler and it makes sense that the Vita gets the short end of the stick pretty damn hard
>>
>>332523197
>If the WiiU is so great, why did it flop?
Nintendo bad decisions
>>
>>332521543
What the fuck does it even mean when people refer to inanimate objects as "sexy"? How exactly is the Vita sexy? It's a fucking block of metal and plastic.
>>
>>332521543
No custom firmware.
No Monster Hunter.
>>
Hardware has never won a generation and it never will. Games sell consoles and 3ds has all the heavy hitters.
>>
>>332521543
>If the vita is so great why did it flop?
No games and being expensive + expensive memory cards.

There is not reason to buy a handheld if it doesn't have games. Back in the day before smartphones you could do so much on a PSP, browse the net, watch movies, play games unimaginable on a phone and emulate. Smartphones do all of that now. A handheld could shine only by having games and being reasonably priced. A nice gimmick or two like 3D for the 3DS wouldn't hurt either.
>>
File: 1386568853270.png (61 KB, 191x201) Image search: [Google]
1386568853270.png
61 KB, 191x201
>>332521989
>c. No Monster Hunter because Capcom is a business and doesn't actually want to make the best games possible
You can blame Nintendo for this one, they had Capcom sign an exclusivity sale which meant that they couldn't release a new MH on any non-Nintendo systems for years
But take solace in the fact that
>That same exclusivity track gave us several shit Sonic games on Wii U
>The Wii U is fucking crashing and burning and the NX will flop harder
>Iwata is dead
>>
They lose their one and only killer app, Monster Hunter.
>>
>>332524239
>"Call of Duty will be the killer app"
See this is where everything went wrong

Vita tried to be a portable PS2/3, and its main games in the west were shit like uncharted and Killzone: games that do well on the home consoles but have never made a successful debut on handhelds.

So basically, even though Sony's lineup of first party Vita games looked good in paper, the truth was that all the Uncharted/Killzone/Whatever fans were already content with their PS3 titles, and saw no reason to get into handhelds just to play spinoffs with worse graphics and controls than what they were used to.

Meanwhile Nintendo focused on things like Pokemon, MonHun and Animal Crossing: games with audiences that were already used to buying handhelds. And it was ultimately successful for exactly that reason.
>>
>>332523867
f2p garbage like Hearthstone and Clash of Clans.
Some niggers were actually trying to talk about Clash of Clans on /v/ a week or two ago, as if it actually has any merit worth discussing
>>
>>332521989
>retards bought the 3DS
how uncouth of me to buy the console with the games I wanted

>Capcom is a business and doesn't actually want to make the best games possible
more people in japan own 3DS than Vitas, of course you would release the title on the larger console base
>>
>>332524838
Yeah too bad Nintendo has a ton of cash so they can stick around for a while. Hopefully if they keep putting out flops like the Wii U they'll crash and burn.
>>
Price point / Needing to buy external storage.

And a lack of a true killer app. Most of the games on it are well made and good games, but every successful console has had one or two really, hugely popular games or series to prop it up and make it a 'must have,' then everything else either determines if it's really good, or just good.

Really it's done 'fine' but console developers don't want fine anymore. Don't own one btw, just my perspective looking in.
>>
>>332521543
A large portion of the good games are very niche some of which require you to import. Same deal as the PSP just without the ridiculously easy piracy ramping up hardware sales.
>>
>sold the system at $250 to match 3DS
>obviously too cheap to cover costs so they decided to sell their propietry memory cards at ludicrous prices to make up for it
>awful outsourced 1st party IP games
>can't play your old PSP games
>literally nothing but ports the 1st and 2nd years
>nothing but indie and niche weeb shit for the rest of the time
>attempted a redesign with 2000 with worse hardware
>sony abandoned it after 2 years, no marketing, no games
>didn't even try pushing it at E3
>came out and formally announced they were stopping production of 1st party titles
>have publically stated they likely won't make another handheld

B...but at least the screen sure looks pretty!
>>
>>332525074
The one killer vita app is a ps2 port
>>
>>332525073
Nintendo can take the hit but Capcom is unlikely to extend the exclusivity deal if their partner dropped the ball so hard.

It's like EA making Titanfall Xbone exclusive, they ran the numbers and found that they could've made a shitload more money if it wasn't stuck on a console nobody likes, so they regret the deal now.
>>
>>332524239
Things that never happened the post
>>
Because all of the games appeal to a very niche market. You can make a fucking fantastic handheld but that don't mean shit if it doesn't have a few killer apps and some titles with wide appeal.

I also stand by the opinion that the PSP did well because it was capable of being hacked, and that hardware sales of the Vita are floundering because it isn't as capable of CFW.
>>
>>332525152

>PSN store doesn't have the entire PSP collection
>doesn't have any GTA games or Monster Hunter (MH is a huge fucking deal) which is what sold the PSP
>no piracy/homebrew
>>
>>332521543
iPads killed this generation of handhelds.
Why buy a $40 handheld game when you can buy Candy Crush for $5? After all, it's a addictive, fun game and I don't die every 5 seconds and have to restart like stupid plumber man. Plus I can buy updates for it instead of getting everything the game has to offer up front. Isn't that just kickass?

I also blame the price of memory cards for the Vita. I can't imagine the look on some shmuck's face when he buys one and finds out that the memory cards are absolute dogshit

Piracy might have hurt the PSP, but for every PSP that customware was installed on, another 5 flew off the shelves
>>
>>332522823
Only PSP games
>>
>>332525320

Dude it was every fucking day for months. The second stick was the second coming of Christ for sonyggers. 3DS got shit posted so hard for having only one stick.
>>
>>332525332
All the PSP games should be completely free. Or at least no more than $5. $15 for Prinny 2 is fucking unacceptable
>>
>>332522823
>>332523828

You can emulate stuff to the same (slightly higher?) degree as the PSP with ePSP hax. That lets you pirate PSP and PS1 games.
You can use native Vita hacks, but that's only for homebrew (improved emulators).
Both of these depend on a specific firmware. 3.51 for Vita hax, 3.52 for easy ePSP hax, 3.55 for harder ePSP hax and less PS1 support. 3.57 hax are being worked on for ePSP and PS1 support.
>>
File: iwata.jpg (212 KB, 1343x751) Image search: [Google]
iwata.jpg
212 KB, 1343x751
>>332524838
>Iwata is dead

Damn I'm figuratively crying now. Thanks for reminding me asshole.
>>
>>332525563
Nope
Stop crying about your Sony boogyman
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 195x259) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 195x259
>mfw change playstation account on vita to match the one I use for ps3/ps4 (had ps3 forever and forgot psn info). Tfw lose 70 hour persona 4 save cause memory cards linked to account...
>>
>>332521543
Wanna know why?

No support for games.

I had a vita and traded it for a 3DS.

The Vita BTFO the 3DS in terms of everything except its game library.
>>
>>332521543
1: Games are too expensive for it. Like $50 for a brand new game on handheld is a bit much. Idk if they lowered the prices though, I haven't bought any new releases for vita since the first year it came out
2: It's a weeb machine. Western companies seemingly just stopped giving a fuck after a month or two. It's only for overpriced anime and the occasional indie
>>
>>332525709

You're delusional. I have tons of screen posts on my old PC about it because the shit was hilarious.
>>
File: 1336135227013.jpg (58 KB, 777x932) Image search: [Google]
1336135227013.jpg
58 KB, 777x932
>>332521543
>Indie Gamer Chick
>>
>>332524838
>Capcom sign an exclusivity sale
Is there an actual source on this? I see it thrown around all over the place but I haven't been able to find anything outside of rumors of a 3 year deal that would have ended in 2015.
>>
>>332525730

Don't you have to login to PSN again if you switch to a memory card with a different account?
>>
>>332522481
big hardware sales not translating to healthy software sales =/= success
>>
File: image.png (51 KB, 319x260) Image search: [Google]
image.png
51 KB, 319x260
>>332524838
>NX will flop
>>
Literally no games. Nothing.
>>
>>332525774
>my old PC
Sure you do shitposter
Keep going on about your imaginary boogyman
>>
>>332522390
And Bloodborne would look and play better on PC, your point?
>>
>>332525837

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/6/playstation-portable/
http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/43/playstation-vita/

PSP game sales shit all over Vita game sales.
>>
>>332521989
T O K Y O
O
K
Y
O
>>
>>332521543
The honest truth of the matter was that 3DS was cheaper when vita launched, that cut its legs off.
But what killed it was monster hunter on 3ds.

Don't believe anyone's bullshit about 3ds having a better library, the attach rate for the system is the lowest on any Nintendo system ever made.
>>
>>332526027

>The honest truth of the matter was that 3DS was cheaper when vita launched, that cut its legs off.
I thought the price was matched?
That's why Nintendo cut the price so rapidly.
>>
>>332525730
The dumb thing is that it didn't even have that restriction at launch, they released an update a few months later so people couldn't pool all their accounts on one card
>>
>>332525891
If you don't shut the fuck up I'm gonna curbstomp you for being such a freaking newfag.
>>
>>332525891

You're likely from reddit or are underage to not have been on /v/ 4 years ago to have seen it.

The second stick was going to be the sole reason for Vita's success as "casuals love fps" and "cod will sell millions"

Then there ended up being a shit Killzone, a shot Resistance and the worst ever reviewed CoD and people dropped it.
>>
>>332521896
fun game: go to any local retailer and try to find the Vita games

it's either insanely hard or they don't even have one anymore.
>>
>>332526095

Why?
Just to sell more of those turds?
>>
it's too bad, i actually love the vita. just not enough games that i'm personally interested in. haven't played one that I felt good about since Celceta
>>
>>332526114
>>332526119
>muh Sony boogyman
Now you have to get your friends to scream about the boogyman too?
>>
>>332521697
The Japanese already had powerful phones with actual games on them, yet NDS and PSP sales were unaffected because it's a different market. Find another excuse already for why the Vita and 3DS sold poorly.
>>
>>332526169
there's no other perceivable reason why they would do it

Even worse is that some people tried to defend it
>>
>>332526147

>fun game: go to any local retailer and try to find the Vita games
I've played this game.
In GAME, there's one shelf of preowned Vita games surrounded by about 20 shelves of preowned PS3 games. Oh, and the digital game section.
In CEX, there's one shelf of Vita games and 3 shelves of PSP games.
>>
>>332526081
Sony did match Nintendo's $250 price when they announced the Vita, which I guess was impressive, but by the time the Vita launched nintendo has already dropped the price to $170 due to nogames.

The truth of the matter is that the Uncharted and Killzone sort of audience Sony targeted with the Vita doesn't buy handhelds.
>>
File: image.png (434 KB, 571x540) Image search: [Google]
image.png
434 KB, 571x540
>>332526027
It's so strange to me that Monster Hunter really made the PSP what it was, and that Monster Hunter going to Nintendo broke the Vita. I personally thought that game was dull. I think I'm just out of touch
>>
File: 1444699015269.jpg (169 KB, 653x786) Image search: [Google]
1444699015269.jpg
169 KB, 653x786
>>332524690
We find women sexy too, and they're objects. And some are inanimate.
>>
>>332526202
That's it faggot.

*puts on boot*

Heh hope you're ready to meet my friend Big Jim

*throws you on the fucking ground*

Bon voyage bitch

*stomps your face into a pile of mush*

*wipes blood off face*

Just another stupid kid crossing me on the wrong day. Tis a shame but so is life.
>>
>>332526081
>I thought the price was matched?
>That's why Nintendo cut the price so rapidly.

At launch of vita iirc
3ds 200$
3ds XL (when it arrived) 250$

Vita 250$ (not including memory card)
>>
>>332526410
*it was a hologram*
>>
File: v FUCK.gif (379 KB, 215x219) Image search: [Google]
v FUCK.gif
379 KB, 215x219
>>332524838
>You can blame Nintendo for this one, they had Capcom sign an exclusivity sale

PROOFS of this, where is it?
>>
File: 1435330952696.jpg (74 KB, 550x529) Image search: [Google]
1435330952696.jpg
74 KB, 550x529
I have no way of knowing if this is a widespread thing or is really a major part of it, but

I run a pawn shop. When we still took Vitas and the games, we had lots of people asking what it even was and how it compared to a PSP.

Seems like the same kind of confusion normies had about the Wii-U, not really knowing what it was relative to the Wii.
>>
>>332526202

>he keeps posting it

Sony© has deposited ¢5 into your account
>>
Vit awas aimed at an older audience than 3DS so the rise of mobile hit it way harder. Kids are still buying N3DS while no one goves a shit about Vita, the only niche it has are animu games.
>>
>>332526439
memory card prices certainly didn't help. absolutely ridiculous really.
>>
>>332521543
Because the 3DS became 100$ cheaper after the week it was released (reminder that the 3DS and the Vita were the same price when the Vita came out)
>>
>>332521543

Vita was powerful enough to the point developing games on it was almost as expensive as making it on PS3/360, where they'd have a much larger potential customerbase. 3DS is so low powered you can crank out games for it easily and cheaply. It's probably why Nintendo is so reluctant to make the DS much more powerful.
>>
>>332521989
>In Japan it's still going strong
Not really. People just develop for it because it's cheaper and less bothersome than on the 3DS, but the sales are still fucking horrible.
>>
No good games. I haven't been interested in one since the last Ys game came out.
>>
The 3DS began putting out a very strong lineup of games in late 2011 with Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and OOT3D. This carried the system into 2012, picking up more big exclusive titles in Japan that performed well. 2013 was when the 3DS peaked and Vita "died." The combination of the 3DS getting tons of big games like Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, SMT4, and Pokémon, coupled with the Vita failing to hit its stride like the 3DS did after a year put the 3DS as the go to for a dedicated handheld.

No amount of quirky titles or ports could compete with Pokémon.
>>
>>332521543
>"all of your games will be digital only"
when it was first announced
>"you have a touchpad on the back!"
fucking why?
>"check out our library full of waifu games!"
only in japan
>"you can also play with ps3 downgraded to the ground games!"
fuck
>>
>only portable with a half-decent control system
>ded

Even if they cheaped out on hardware, it could've accomplished a lot by just having a standard control scheme. Now we get to live in a world where any game that can be played on a portable system has to use gimped touch controls that work for next to no worthwhile genres.
>>
>>332521543
Same reason why literally every handheld other than Nintendo's failed: being more powerful means being more expensive, which means fewer people buy your product. Even among consoles, the current generation is the only one where the technically inferior console didn't sell the most.
>>
>>332526576

>Vita was powerful enough to the point developing games on it was almost as expensive as making it on PS3/360, where they'd have a much larger potential customerbase.
The good thing is,it makes porting indieshit amazingly efficient. Same for crossplatform, low budget PS3/PS4 games.
>>
>>332524838
>blame nintendo
>wahh I'm a sonnygger and is too dumb to realize nintendo handhelds are actually pretty great because I wasted $300 on muh vita and an extra $400 on 2 or 3 proprietary memory cards
>>
>Vita
>hundreds of small literally who games (mostly with anime girls on the cover)
>no real big games
>>
>>332526903
>dragon quest builders
>>
Maybe if sony didn't kill their great ips like Ace Escape,Wild Arms etc. and made them for Vita,it would'nt do so poorly
>>
>>332527025
>No real big games
>>
>>332527108

>great ips like Ace Escape
hehehe
>>
>>332527132
Sorry youre underage but Dragon Quest is one of the biggest franchises in the world
>>
>>332527025
is a multiplat
>>
If only DQ had the popularity Final Faggotry has in the west
>>
>>332527240
That's why they put a Minecraft-esque spinoff on the Vita, right?
>>
Because nobody wanted it. There.
>>
File: Seriously.jpg (56 KB, 340x565) Image search: [Google]
Seriously.jpg
56 KB, 340x565
>>332527240
A Dragon Quest spinoff base off minecraft and is a multiplat... That's considered a real big game to you?
>>
>>332527376
Yep you're definitely underage
>>

Because mobile.

I am actually amazed the 3DS did aswell as it did, but I think that's because Nintendo has HUGE brand recognition in the handheld space, so parents buy their kids "One of them gameboys".

Handhelds are dead.
>>
>>332521543
Because you can't carry a console with one Persona game and MH clones
>>
>>332527378
This. Nobody wanted PS3 games on a handheld.
>>
>>332527025

>multiplat
>spin off

Dragon Quest XI is a big game.
>>
>>332527535
More like PS2.75
>>
File: 1459262598475.png (334 KB, 492x500) Image search: [Google]
1459262598475.png
334 KB, 492x500
>Vita is the only console of the new generation I have
>Only interested in the Digimon game
>Don't play it anymore
>Just use it for handheld video watching because I don't have a smartphone or whatever people my age use.

Screen looks nice though.
>>
>hardware is all that matters
>doesn't mention how it doesn't have any games at all
>>
>>332527240
Not in the west...

I'm still waiting some Dragon Quest Spin-offs Not really. I want them, but we are never to get the,
>>
>>332527730

Idort here.
Vita has more games; but I play my 3DS more because I'm poor as shit and pirated all the 3DS games, while I only have a handful of Vita games.
>>
>>332527730
It's has games, the problem is that they're mostly indie ports and anime panty quests
>>
File: dead-effect-2-apk-7.jpg (333 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
dead-effect-2-apk-7.jpg
333 KB, 1600x900
>>332526576
The price/effort involved in producing visuals that'd fit somewhere between the 3DS and PS3 (all that's really necessary for a Vita game) is massively overblown, typically by idiots who don't know anything about game development but feel the need to weigh in on it anyway.
I mean, no-name foreign companies are producing stuff for phones that wouldn't look out of place on the Vita for fucking pennies so what you're saying doesn't line up with reality at all.
>>
>more expensive than the 3DS
>less brand power
>age of mobile gaming
>shameful first-party support
>abysmal library
>doesn't have monster hunter

The 3DS was cheap, and a nintendo handheld succeeding its two previous and wildly popular handhelds. It was also looking pretty sad for a while, but suddenly got a massive boom of quality(?) titles that helped rocket it ahead. The Vita just sort of piddled along the entire time, and you can blame Sony for monster hunter leaving them.
>>
It still gets games I like. It doesn't feel like a flop.
>>
>>332521543
Games are the saving grace of any gaming device. Why does the 3DS do so well now after that first year and a half of horse shit? Nintendo doubled-down and made games for it, because 3rd parties didn't automatically come over from the DS, and are still practically not there.

Sony actually started with some good and solid games. That Uncharted game was actually incredibly well-made, and decent for pickup and play. Controlled very well thank to the twin sticks. Gravity Rush was also really fucking good, and the additional ports for some games like Virtua Tennis 4 proved to be some of the best versions of the games because of all the additional features (fucking camera face mapping for custom characters), and they looked and ran better than mobile versions, and controlled really well.

But then Sony wasn't paying third parties enough or something because they started releasing total garbage on the thing. Call of Duty should have been a fucking no brainer, but that game looked like ass and was so stripped down, it wasn't even recognizable as CoD. Then they think, aw, just maybe port Borderlands 2, that'll be easier than making a whole new game. NOPE. Runs like ass thanks to el cheapo porto Iron Galaxy.

Basically Sony started hot, didn't quite see the numbers, cheaped out, and buried the thing. Mobile probably has something to do with those low initial numbers, but bad word of mouth having to do with memory cards and the prevalent feeling of it being a port machine didn't help either.
>>
>>332528018
Wasn't MonHun essentially Capcom going "Yeah, we know we've got a multimillion franchise on our hands, but we really can't be bothered to spend the tiniest bit of extra money to make our game look better than a PS2 title so we're going to keep it on any platform where we can do that without being called out for it"?
That's why it never hit actual consoles outside of the Wii.
>>
>>332528018
>more expensive than the 3DS
Actually, when the Vita first came out, it was the same price as the 3DS. Sony came out swinging, and Nintendo had to drop the price a hundred plus to make up for their hubris.
>>
>>332527730
Only 3DS game I was jelly of was SNT IV

Then I finally bought the thing, and it was the worst smt I have ever touched in my life
(At least Soul hackers was fun)

I use my Vita all the time, my 3ds gets zero use. I hate Ninty games and monhun
>>
File: hypocrite.jpg (126 KB, 480x608) Image search: [Google]
hypocrite.jpg
126 KB, 480x608
>>332524838
>they had Capcom sign an exclusivity sale
I've seen people throw this shit around for a long time now but I still haven't seen a solid source for it, only rumours.
Cough it up, m8.
>>
>>332528289
exactly. Capcom likes to min/max the shit out of MH's profit magins
>>
>>332526821
Yeah, I really do love playing on a handheld that has a smaller native resolution than a handheld released in 2004, I really love a handheld that thought that having only one analog stick is a good idea, I really love a handheld built around a gimmick that died before the console was on the market for two years
Eat a fucking dick Nintendrone
>>
>>332528289
Close, it was them bitching about standard online features, (trophies + actual fucking servers for online in monhun, they use adhoc party or some shit instead) so they ran to Nintendo because they didn't and still don't understand the internet at all.
>>
>>332528289
Capcom may be garbage, but they know better than to risk their bread and butter franchise. A large part of the problem is that Sony wanted Capcom to pay for their ad-hoc party stuff, despite it being used for multiple other games, and Capcom decided to take their ball and leave. There were other factors alleged as well, but I don't think any of them have ever been verified.

>>332528372
Yeah you're right, I forgot about that. It was a massive fucking price drop too. If Sony hadn't been so chickenshit the Vita could have pulled ahead.
>>
>>332523867

Minecraft, Roblox, porn.
>>
>was designed for "adult" handheld gaming, something already not doing well and doing even worse when every adult owns a cellphone to play games on and wouldn't be caught death with a kids toy no matter how fancy that kids toy is
>expensive as fuck
>expensive as fuck storage options for no fucking reason
>few quality exclusives that aren't from Japan (normies hate Jap games)

The Vita is beautiful and I love it, but the world doesn't deserve it. People can keep playing Candy Dildo Cash Grab on their shitty fucking iPhones, it's what they DO deserve.
>>
File: 1455317709831.jpg (29 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1455317709831.jpg
29 KB, 400x400
>>332521543
Vita = Good hardware, decent games (nothing amazing), expensive as fuck memory sticks

3DS = Bad Hardware, great games, uses standard SD cards to store data.

So basicly the 3ds won by having better games and not jewing the consumer to pay ten times more to get their brand memory sticks.
>>
>>332528407

>he bought a vita
>>
File: 1449296182999.png (179 KB, 631x624) Image search: [Google]
1449296182999.png
179 KB, 631x624
>>332524423
>it's like a PS3 in your pocket
>Yet Borderlands 2 runs like shit
>>
>>332523170
>>332522773
Everytime someone on /v/ posts their 3DS collection there's never a western game, try again.

It was all the proprietary shit, high price of entry.
>>
>>332528731
>3DS
>great games
I've had one since 2011 and had fuck all to play on it for the vast majority I've had it. 90% of the games I have played on it have been either bad or mediocre at best.
>>
File: 1458760555100.jpg (257 KB, 750x746) Image search: [Google]
1458760555100.jpg
257 KB, 750x746
>REEE THE VITA SUCKS NO GAMES REEE WEEABOO GARBAGE

>me
>>
>>332528905
>like a PS3 in your pocket
>game runs like shit
Yeah sounds like a PS3.
>>
>>332527983
You don't know a dang thing about what you're talking about. Shut the heck up kid.
>>
File: 1452187776549.jpg (15 KB, 299x329) Image search: [Google]
1452187776549.jpg
15 KB, 299x329
>>332529031
top bantz lad
>>
>>332526235
It was nowhere near the same back then and you know it. The market and the tech were completely different. You're either being intentionally obtuse or you're retarded.
>>
>>332528905

I played BL2 on ps3, that sounds accurate.
>>
File: 1459278889338.gif (2 MB, 420x315) Image search: [Google]
1459278889338.gif
2 MB, 420x315
>>332528731
>3DS
>great games
>>
>>332528949
I bet he has three copies of Knack
>>
>>332525730
What the fuck, they just erase your save? So PS+ is a fucking requirement if you want to import games for the vita?
>>
File: 1457626402369.gif (160 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1457626402369.gif
160 KB, 800x450
>Want to get a Vita cause of all the free games i got with PS+
>But the system and memory cards still cost way too much
Dang it.
>>
The vita doesn't have a big name game to it like the 3ds does.
>>
>>332528986
I'm surprised you didn't realize at the time that you don't like Nintendo games
>>
>>332529093
xD
>>
>>332528986

Sounds like you have shit taste desu senpai
>>
>>332521543
>indie gamer chick
Who?
Like, why?

In any case, the market changed, which is why the 3DS was failing its first two years and needed a $100 drop and Pokemon to save it. Which is why it won't even outsell the PSP.

The Vita has no brand power to carry it through. That being said, it still has a great selection, continues to gets natively developed games, and even gets more support than the 3DS atm. I doubt Sony needs to move on from it since it's still getting plenty of boosts in Japan.
>>
>>332529101
>>332528986
Not my fault that you don't like fun.
>>
3ds relatively flopped too desu. Yeah it sold like 55 million, but compare that to the DS and GBA sales. Nintendo will leave handhelds eventually too.
>>
File: community_image_1396323664.jpg (24 KB, 412x610) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1396323664.jpg
24 KB, 412x610
>Indie

40% triggered

>Gamer

80% triggered

>Chick

200% triggered
>>
>>332529257
Name 5
>>
>>332521543
Games were expensive to produce so developers didn't want to make anything for it. No games meant no buyers.
>>
>>332528516
>If Sony hadn't been so chickenshit
Here's a list of decent games (not even all of them) that came out during the launch with the Vita:
Escape Plan (PSN Only)
Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational
ModNation Racers: Road Trip
Super StarDust Delta (PSN only)
UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
wipEout 2048

Blazblue: Continuum Shift EXTEND
Lumines Electronic Symphony
Rayman Origins
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen
Tales of Space: Mutant Blob
Touch My Katamari
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition

>Launch Window Titles:
Gravity Rush
MLB 12 The Show
Unit 13

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention
NINJA GAIDEN ∑ PLUS
Silent Hill Book of Memories
Supremacy MMA: Unrestricted

Sony came out swinging, and probably spent a shitload of money on acquisitions and getting games on the thing, not to mention the R&D of the Vita, which is still pretty fucking slick to this day, and undoubtedly was sold at a loss when it came out. It was actually probably one of their best launches in history in terms of quality games day and date with the system and in the early runnings.

People just didn't bite. I'm not sure why, but I guess it was the view that it wasn't what people were looking for at the time when the view on mobile phones was so hot.
>>
>>332529132

You have to back up the save to a PC or a PS3 before formatting your memory card, yes.

Except you can't just copy the save, you have to copy the whole game.
>>
>>332529172

>>332528950

Like pottery.
>>
>>332529329
You forgot Ridge Racer (lol)
>>
>>332526027
Monster Hunter isnt that popular in the West.
>>
Memory card.

For the price of a vita 32gb, I could get 2 32gb or one 64gb for my 3ds.
>>
The best move for Sony would be to just drop Vita and make an Android system that just happens to have the control scheme and comparable hardware, and publish games for that (maybe it could boot into their own OS for mainline "Vita" titles) while still having it be something you can use to play any Android title.
I just want games that aren't based around horrible touch controls.

>>332529291
Thanks for voluntarily exiting the gene pool then I guess.
>>
>>332521543
Everyone in this thread is retarded. It flopped because price and having to buy a memory card that was also expensive as shit. Sony is fucking stupid
>>
>>332529314
This is a lie, it always was cheaper to make games for the Vita, and devkits were easier to access with more support from Sony

If it was more eypensive to develop for it, you wouldn't get a million indie games every week and new literal who weeaboo anime games that turn a profit after 10k copies sold.

Meanwhile on the 3DS the best selling Rune Factory made the company go bankrupt
>>
>>332529510
Or a bunch of games
>>
>>332529490
I didn't forget it, I purposefully omitted it because it was bad. I said right up front that I was only listing the decent games.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REaUzHef9h4
>>
>>332529526
Pretty sure the last 6 years have shown that Android consoles are dumb ideas
>>
File: Untitled.png (118 KB, 641x591) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
118 KB, 641x591
tempted
>>
>>332529526

They tried making a playstation branded android phone with physical controls.
>>
>>332529742
can't you get the entire compilation for less
>>
>>332529689
Based on what, stuff that's trying to be a sit-down-and-play system powered by a processor that'd likely choke on PSP games?
>>332529775
It used a touch system instead of analogues so it was basically just moving the garbage controls from the screen itself to something that slides out from under it.
>>
File: 1451760548882.png (4 KB, 206x237) Image search: [Google]
1451760548882.png
4 KB, 206x237
>>332529643
>linking to Extra Credits
>>
There is literally nothing good for the vita, and I say this as a sony fan.

The only noteworthy titles are either:

>HD Ports/Remakes of existing games, - Persona 4, Tales of Hearts R.
>HD collections of games already on PS3 - MGS HD, Sly cooper.
>Localized PSP titles, - Danganropa, Jikandia
>Been re-made for PS4 due to shitty sales - Gravity rush, Tearaway.
>Mediocre cash ins of popular franchises - Katamari, Final fantasy
>A fuckton of RPGs that are availible on PS3/4 as well. very few niche titles and those that are aren't even worth playing because they're bordeline pornography

Its got nothing to call its own.
Vita has nothing worth calling its own.
>>
>>332529970

You're not getting sticks on something with the form factor of a phone.
>>
>>332529970
Did you forget stuff like the Nvidia Shield or Xperia Play? I don't recall if they were successes, but I guess the fact that it slipped your mind should answer whether they were or not.
>>
>>332529742
You could get the legacy collection for that much, or at least HD physical on the Vita
>>
>>332529742

>buying ps1 games
>>
>>332530130
>nvidia shield
A gorillion dollars.
>Xperia Play
Literally the subject of the post you just replied to.
>>
>>332530023
You do realize stuff like Tearaway flopped on the PS4 as well?

In any case, I can't agree with you at all, you just have poor taste. Whats your PSN so we can see what games you actually played.

The fact that you bring up tales of hearts r like it was playable before is hilarious, or the fact that you deem world of ff shovelware prior to even releasing.

"i'm a Sony fan' is good pre-context to 'im trying not to be a bias fanboy, please consider my opinion'
>>
>>332529643
Why did you post this? dont you know it takes up the valuable and limited internet we have?
>>
>>332530376
>The fact that you bring up tales of hearts r like it was playable before is hilarious

Yet another simpleton who can't appreciate quality tales combat like the good old days. I bet you think Vesperia is the pinacle of the series too.
>>
File: whywouldyoudothat.jpg (52 KB, 600x621) Image search: [Google]
whywouldyoudothat.jpg
52 KB, 600x621
>>332529643
>Linking Extra Credits
>>
File: 3215488544321.gif (337 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
3215488544321.gif
337 KB, 640x358
>>332521543

I don't care, its still getting games and so is my 3DS and thats all I need.
>>
>>332530546
The remake was objectively better, while also being in English.
>>
>>332529816
>>332530187
dont have ps3 and nothing on ps4
>>
The vita is aimed at a market that doesn't exist in the west anymore and people honestly have no idea how to make games for or even market too.

Hip teenagers and young adults. There is no major market for a buggy handheld ps2 with otaku bait weeaboo games. There just isn't.
And the market that bought the psp for it's all in one handheld piece of tech thing, back in the day, have all migrated to the mobile phones.

The DS and 3DS survives on being synonymous with child friendly, being well built, and having good games that anyone can play. That and momentum and the nintendo name.
There's a reason why people want nintendo to make games for the mobile and for the top mobile games to have nintendo versions.
It equals instant recognition, being seen as a bullet proof well made game, and ability to sell to basically everyone.

Vita is an impressive piece of tech, and it is a modern sony piece of tech so people know that it's durability is up in the air. They just decided to go for hip and cool instead of adolescent dorkery and put spiderman games and ratchet and clank and the like on it.
>>
File: 1457754473617.jpg (208 KB, 1000x1385) Image search: [Google]
1457754473617.jpg
208 KB, 1000x1385
Better question is:
Now that it has outlived the Wii U, do you think the Vita will continue past the 3DS as well?

It already has 2017 games coming.
>>
>>332530634
The "Remake" was boring run around no-strategy chase shit that was introduced in Abyss to make the game mind numbingly easy.

Linearity has always been a plus to Tales of combat, if you can't see then you don't deserve to play such a great series.
>>
>>332521543
Hand held are for children. The DS has more children's games.
>>
>>332521543
Expensive to develop as end user expected high graphics.

So less profit to be made. might as well dont waste,

and build some cheap looking game for mobile. but still earning the same profit.
>>
>>332530813
>999
>Childrens game
>>
>>332530729
The Wii U is still in production, and the PS4 is gaining steam. So no.
>>
I literally use mine for a FF machine since I'd much rather have a handheld that can play old PSOne games anywhere than be tied to playing those old games on my PS3 when I have relatively new shit I could be playing instead. Also, there's a several decent games on PSN for Vita that aren't super weeb if you're against that.

I only played my N3DS before anyways so it was worth the money since I enjoy handhelds.
>>
>>332530729
>do you think the Vita will continue past the 3DS as well?
Sony seems unwilling to make a new handheld, while Nintendo is likely to eventually. There'll always be a market in Japan for Sony handhelds games, so I can see it being kept alive in a small way for a long time to come
>>
>>332530709
>being well built
Hell no
>Good games
I would say 'safe games' that are IP dependant, more of a reliance than p ogressive innovation. Nothing on the 3DS is really great and it still has a below average library.

Brand power matters, that's all their is to it.

You're an idiot for suggesting the vita is fragile when it is better built than all 3DS models, and more sturdy.
>>
Vita looks amazing but I like the Japanese games on the 3ds more than the lame kuso RPGs on the vita.

Its not hard to see why it flopped its only really for the jp market.
>>
At least the Wii U flopped harder?
>>
>>332530864
What kid wouldn't want to play in a submarine?

Fuck you, Uchikoshi
>>
>>332530960
Nope.
>>
>>332531070
The wii u had nothing but first party where the Vita had nothing but third party.
>>
>>332531015
What RPGs are there besides SMT? Seriously. Bravely default wasshit, EO is being rehashed to death, fire emblem is super kusoge, so???
>>
>>332531180
Except the vita has plenty of first party.
>>
File: 1458188444952.jpg (13 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
1458188444952.jpg
13 KB, 241x209
>>332521543
>IndieGamerChick
fucking kill me
>3DS is more powerful than the Vita
>mfw

Thanks for proving that woman are dumb cows
>>
>>332531215
Stella Glow :^)
>>
>>332529329
How many of those games actually had widespread appeal?
That was the problem.
>pay for a service to get the game
>multiplat golf game
>kart racer that's not Mario Kart
>pay for a service to get the game
>game only really popular with people who don't play handhelds
>series that's never been super popular

>series that's never been super popular
>name alone lets me know it's not got widespread appeal
>multiplat
>niche
>niche
>niche
>multiplat
>tennis game

Launch Games
>apparently did well enough for a sequel, no complaints here
>sports game, people who play sports games don't buy handhelds
>know nothing about this

>old multiplat
>remake of a series reboot remaster
>Book of Memories >good
>who fucking buys MMA games regardless of platform

It failed because it was a handheld with the same lineup as a console. And that's not to say that people who buy handhelds don't buy consoles, they do, and that's the problem too. So many of the games were available on console, and people who buy consoles don't really buy handhelds much.

Nintendo cornered the market and it was a well defined market. Sony didn't really try to appeal to the existing market, rather they tried to get their console market to buy their handhelds.
Kind of what Nintendo is doing with the console market. They're not trying to appeal to the console market, they're trying to appeal to, uh, children. Who all buy PlayStations or Xboxes.
>>
>>332530729
Sauce? Thick asian women are my weakness.
>>
>>332531318
are you retarded

i suggest you reread it
>>
>>332531318

>Reading comprehension
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.