[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello everyone. Today I'd like to talk to about Sony's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: Playstation 4K.jpg (8 KB, 317x159) Image search: [Google]
Playstation 4K.jpg
8 KB, 317x159
Hello everyone. Today I'd like to talk to about Sony's strategy with the rumored 'Sony 4K.'

Needless to say, it is absolutely a real platform, one that Sony hopes will revitalize the Playstation and television business.

The idea is to use Playstation as a sort of 'Killer app' to give consumers a reason to constantly keep upgrading their TV's. For example, the Sony is pushing 4K for this console, while the 'new' PS4K that will come out in the next two years will push the tech even further.

The idea is to introduce a system where consumers won't have to put up with inferior technology or visuals. After all, you all want the best tech, don't you? Replacing your console and TV set every two years guarantees that you will have the very best, at all times.
>>
Rumors are just rumors. Stop thinking too much into it and just move on.
>>
File: 1458882677787.jpg (155 KB, 457x576) Image search: [Google]
1458882677787.jpg
155 KB, 457x576
>>332518876
>Today I'd like to talk to about Sony's strategy with the rumored 'Sony 4K.'

It's a hardware change to avoid anyone jailbreaking it. It was rumored almost immediately after the kernel exploit and as such they're pushing this shit to make sure nobody mods the systems.

The only reason they can do it is if they can offer actual benefits with it, such as 4k and more power.

They did it with the PS3 superslims, they'll do it with the PS4
>>
Consoles can barely do 1080p at 60fps, I really doubt we'll be getting 4k anytime soon (and I mean it for at least the next 10 years or so)
>>
>>332518876
Why would they need to "revitalise" the Playstation if PS4 is selling like it does.

And if everybody liked throwing £600+ for PS and TV upgrades every two years, they would stick with PC gaming.

Why would developers agree to support this nonsense, if they have to make their games to 2 or 3 different sets of specifications ?

If it is a rumour, it is absolutely retarded.
If it isn't a rumour and it is a business decision, then it is even worse.
>>
Better than stagnant tech.

If you don't like tech progression you might as well go buy a fucking 3ds
>>
>>332519306
this
why is everyone so upset over it?
>>
>>332519130
Sounds plausible
>>
>>332519306
>>332519421
or you know
>>332519130
>>
>>332519273
A thousand times this.
>>
>>332519273
It's 4k because it supports 4k video and streaming formats along with the ability to support next generation blu-ray media.

At best the console itself would get incremental power boosts for games, like a swap to a better GPU that is still within its generation allowing for a bump from Medium settings to Medium-High custom settings.

Everything about PS4k is for video though.
>>
>>332519296
>Why would developers support this?

A good question, actually. As you know, developers want nothing more than to work with the best tech available. And as tech improves, that means the tools they can improve the tools they use to make the games we all love.

Games like TLOU will be even more stunning when it rereleases on the 4K, please look forward to it.
>>
>>332519731
Most TV with 4K already support video formats and miracast.
>>
>>332519823

Stop trying to sound like a shill just to upset the fan kids.

This whole thing is to allow people who actually own 4K tv's to be able to stream 4K content from Netflix and the like from the PlayStation apps instead of having to switch over to the native apps in our tv's.

Of course 99% of /v/ is poor/underage so they don't understand that you can't actually take advantage of your shiny 4K tv with regular streaming devices.
>>
>>332518876
>introduce a system where consumers won't have to put up with inferior technology or visuals
>buys a console
>>
>>332519731
>supports 4k video

Are you suggesting this PS4k could just be a PS4 with a hardware 4k video decoder? Because a lot of people would say if they wanted the PS4 to play 4k, they could just do it via a software update. But what they don't understand is that decoding 4k video requires processing power.
>>
>>332520162
Not everyone wants to spend the time or effort in building a gaming PC, anon. PS4K is our first step into making an 'ever growing' platform. One that can easily be replaced and improved on without having to worry about the specifics.
>>
>>332520330
So you don't want to build and maintain a gaming PC, but you want to purchase and maintain a console ?

Where's the difference, in your head ?
>>
>>332520330
While you're right, it's a retarded position that nobody on /v/ should take.

The "time and effort" put into building a PC is perceived rather than real. Dudebros perceive PCs to be this complicated thing, when they're absolutely not. This is partially due to lack of marketing on the PC side, and heaps of it on the console side. I mean imagine if every dudebro knew how shit most multiplats are on console compared to PC. But they don't know any better. Even if they do know, they still have that false perception of complexity.
>>
>>332520256
The current PS4 can't play the newer generation of blu-ray discs like ultra blu ray.

Pretty much everything that's come out about the PS4K points towards proper 4K video support with games being spoofed pseudo 4K(the same way Xbone, 360, and PS3 faked displaying at 1080p.)

Again, any boost to the hardware would probably be focused on improving 4K video playback both from the net and things like ultra-bluray. Games would only get a tangential boost. Like games either looking a little better or getting better frame rates.
>>
>>332518876
>4K

That shit is hard to do for AMD and Nvidia, theres no way a console can output 4K videogames.
>>
>>332519823
I don't think you know what developers actually want.
Pretty visuals is not as high a priority as it is to the consumer.
>>
>>332520914
That seems logical enough. So the primary reason for the PS4k is to include hardware decoders for new 4k video formats like H.265 but while they're at it, they may marginally increase performance on the CPU and/or GPU.
>>
>>332521461
Pretty much.
>>
>>332518876
Regardless if it's 4k or not, the internal settings for the game are still going to be medium high - high low.
>>
Is it worth waiting for the PS4K? By the time it comes out the PS4 will definitely get price cut.
>>
>>332521835
If you want to watch movies at 4K, I'd say wait, though I doubt they're gonna do something about the storage.
>>
>tfw you got the Metal Gear Solid 5 Ps4

Who cares for 4k? 4k isn't even in the mainstream yet because people fell for the 3d meme
>>
>>332518876
i'm all for that, devs will optimize for higher resolutions better on pc
let idiots buy tv every two years, who cares
>>
I swear to god if PS4.5 can move Bloodborne at 30 frames all the time I will be very mad. And I will probably buy it anyways because I have no consumer ethics.
>>
>>332520761
How many times do you upgrade your PC?
What do you normally upgrade the most?
How much does it cost?
Sony will do the same every two years for you, and in better quality.
>>
File: police raid OPs house.gif (2 MB, 233x223) Image search: [Google]
police raid OPs house.gif
2 MB, 233x223
>>332518876
>PS4K
Its a PS4 slim with an HDMI 2.0 port.

Anyone who thinks that a 4K gaming PS4 or PS4.5 is coming out is just plain stupid.
>>
>>332521461
PS4K might also be their branding for the "slim" PS4. It's inevitable one would arrive and 2 years out or so seems about right timing wise, and with a process shrink just a round the corner it might make sense as well.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.