[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PSA: If you call something "an MMO", that's literally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: top-10-mmos-korea.jpg (596 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
top-10-mmos-korea.jpg
596 KB, 1920x1080
PSA: If you call something "an MMO", that's literally meaningless. Stop doing this. You're literally saying "An Massively Multiplayer Online"..
>>
PSA: If people shortening it to MMO triggers you, you may be autistic.
>>
>>332519516
Wow for once on 4Chan, I agree with someone.
>>
That's literally how all acronyms work though. The only possible exception is in writing if it's implied that you're actually saying the whole phrase.
>>
>>332519516
>triggered
>austistic

Holy shit, why don't people on 4chan speak like normal human beings?
>>
>>332521573
I don't get it. Explain? I literally can't think of another case where you abbreviate the acronym into meaningless nonsense.
>>
>>332518814
>I don't know how language works
>>
>>332521974
Then explain. Games are the only industry too retarded to come up with an actual name so they're forced to abbreviate a damn acronym.
>>
>>332522308
There is nothing to explain. Language morphs and words change meaning all the time. MMO commonly refers to MMORPGs just like faggot isn't about being gay anymore and retarded isn't about being mentally challenged anymore. You're the faggot taking everything literally just so you can go NUH UH I KNOW BETTER
>>
>>332522308
>The word an should be used before all vowel sounds
>mmo starts with the sound "ɛm"

What's not to get? If you're going to use the acronym mmo then you're going to start with a vowel sound. It's like if you wanted to call some an FBI agent you're going to use an.
>>
>>332521702
>like normal human beings?
>normal human beings
>normal human
>normal
>>
>>332522629
I wasn't talking about the "an". I was talking about using "MMOs", which is wrong and meaningless.
>>
>>332523047
Your existance is wrong and meaningless.
>>
>>332519516
>>332521347
You both are retarded.
He ment it from a grammatical perspecticve
>>
>>332521927
I don't get what you don't get.
>>
>>332523047
MMO is generally understood as MMORPG. There are other MMO games, but you generally have to specify that.
>>
>>332523390
"I love MMOs!" -people say that
"I love [massive multiplayer online]s" -this does not make sense, this is not valid English

Show me another example of that happening
>>
>>332523567
nigga I already explained it to you stop being a moron
>>
>>332523782
"Because language is fucking dumb!" is not a good reason. It's not consistent but it's rarely this broken.
>>
>>332523948
>Because language is fucking dumb
that's not what I said at all you dipshit
>>
>>332524093
Pro-tip: people can't see who posted what
>>
>>332523567
"Lets go to Marks"
You don't say Marks place but you know its marks place, theres no rule that says you cant apply the same to abbreviations.

Youre an autistic faggot btw
>>
>>332523567

See >>332523524
>>
Autism speaks.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.