[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't triple-A do stealth games any more?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
Why can't triple-A do stealth games any more?
>>
Sitting around is boring as hell. Boring doesn't sell.
>>
File: Waste of Money.webm (3 MB, 569x320) Image search: [Google]
Waste of Money.webm
3 MB, 569x320
>>
>>332515740
MGSV
>>
>>332515953
>mgs
>stealth
Oh, you are one of those retards.
>>
I'm currently playing the new Thief.
It's so close to being good its sad, at the least the obligitory spooky level is actually spooky.
>>
Good stealth games require proper pacing, restraint, and relatively slow gameplay. All of which don't match the modern triple A games. Stealth games now often times come in the form of shooters with optional (typically underdeveloped) stealth mechanics or older stealth series now horribly butchered like Splinter Cell and Thief. Besides all that, realistically purely stealth games are hard to sell to people and publishers. Developing games where the player has to entirely avoid conflict, combat, and action can be tough since that's not what sells. What sells are games that can be shown through a trailer with massive explosions and bloody executions. You can't really do that with a typical Hitman or Splinter Cell game.

Also, stealth mechanics are tough to do well. You need good AI, good lighting, good sound design, enemy response to lighting/sound, and just an overall good game. With so much focus on graphics and story putting in all that work is tough.
>>
>>332515794
This. It's why Hitman games are the best in the genre, they don't rely on sitting in dark corners while going from A to B.
>>
>>332515991
MGSV is very stealth, it's just it's boring, bland, empty and doesn't punish for run and gunning.
You didn't play it.
>>
>>332515740
You need patience...
They have attention span problems.
>>
>>332518646
>thinks patience and attention span are the same thing

yep, seems like you fell for your own meme
>>
Hitman 6, despite being very unfinished and having terrible DRM attached to it, is excellent. Paris is on the same tier as the best levels in Blood Money and all of the Hitman series.
>>
>>332519606
>to learn a guard routs, you need to stay quiet and still in one place for a long period of time
>that takes patience
>kids with low attention span will just hit the guy in the head with an arrow, hide the body and continue without even stoping to look.

Its the actual reason,
>>
Hitman 6 is a fan-bloody-tastic piece of gaming software (On the PC, console users need not apply).

Also Metal Gear 5 WAS incredible, and I'm willing to argue my point here. The STEALTH component was top-bloody-notch, and the story was steller however minimal.

DEUS EX is better than ever also. The new Deus Ex will be the savioir of gaming. Even the mobile game was, objectively, a great game.
>>
>>332520764
I was with you all the way until
>Even the mobile game was, objectively, a great game
Nope. Nope. Nope.
>>
>>332515740
because they muddle it down for a bigger audience who don't like stealth.
>>332515794
case and point
>>
File: 1299751211503.jpg (54 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1299751211503.jpg
54 KB, 300x225
>>332520764
that's some nice low-hanging fruit you got there.
>>
>>332522787
I can't tell if you're complaining about dumbing down or explaining why stealth doesn't work.
>>
>>332523531
not sure how it wasn't clear, but it's a complaint. newer games in the genre prefer to focus on action with stealth components on the backburner than the other way around.
>>
>>332523783
>not sure how it wasn't clear
Because considering what the post you're using as an example, it sounds like you're complaining about the games not being boring enough. Which is what stealth too often boils down to.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.