[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /v/'s general consensus on this game? Is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 1459301276210.png (21 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
1459301276210.png
21 KB, 256x223
What's /v/'s general consensus on this game?

Is it any good?
>>
One of the best, if not the best, platformers of all time.
>>
File: 1459219376610.png (34 KB, 346x193) Image search: [Google]
1459219376610.png
34 KB, 346x193
My favorite game of all time and one of the absolute best platformers
>>
Good but fuck that dungeon level that scrolls upwards and all the lost world. I still find DKC2 easier than DKC3 though.

https://youtu.be/EKq8r-HtpY0
>>
GOAT platformer.
>>
>>332507736
Super Mario World
>>
>>332507801
is trash in comparison.
>>
>>332506685
/v/ loves DKC2. I played through all three DKCs and for a while TF a few months ago, they're all amazing games. DKC is without a doubt one of the best and most solid platformer series out there, DKC2 just does it all the best of the series.
>Best overall difficulty curve and ceiling
>Best difficulty for finding secrets
>Best Kong pair
>One of the best OSTs ever
>Has the most bosses that are unique and fun to fight
>Great length
>Amazing level themes
>Fun mechanics, some of which haven't been replicated very much in other games (like honey climbing)
>Fun as fuck to 102%
>>
>>332506685
Great music but some levels that rely on the barrels are annoying.
>>
>>332508183
Dixie is best to use. makes going over tricky jumps a whole lot easier. I also like how you can roll down a death gap and jump up.
>>
>>332506685
Usually considered the best in the trilogy when taking into account of levels, music, mechanics, difficulty, etc.
>>
>>332506685
2 > 1 > 3
>>
This is the first game I got with my SNES, my first console.

It holds a very dear place in my heart. This game is literally flawless.

inb4 ree
>>
>>332509496
This.

But I'd add TF before 2.
>>
File: 660.jpg (35 KB, 597x438) Image search: [Google]
660.jpg
35 KB, 597x438
Am I wearing nostalgia goggles or was 64 really, really good despite its clunky controls? I have nothing but fond memories of it.
>>
>>332510023
>Am I wearing nostalgia goggles
Yes. Play it again now and you'll realise how dull the gameplay is.

It has some pluses, like the music, GOAT boss battles, level design and Kong variety, but overall the game is a mess.
>>
>>332510023

It's not a good game.

The backtracking alone makes it pretty irredeemable in this day and age, and you can only hit do a timed shooting section so many times before they get fucking unbearable.

Plus, despite the levels being relatively well designed and themed, the actual playing of them was exactly the same.
> Find the exact same coins / collectables.
> Find character specific pad challenge
> Find the character specific barrel challenge
> Find the character specific special move challenge
> Find the music challenge.
> Backtrack to constantly get potions to unlock more of the same 'challenges'

They had a few unique things like the races in some levels sprinkled in, but really it was just the same bullshit over and over again for like 20 levels. They should have had levels be character specific, that would have allowed for better, more consistent design tailored to each character, rather than just being bland, similar shit that has obvious "This section is for X Kong" stuff.
>>
File: 1385646045142.png (544 KB, 768x666) Image search: [Google]
1385646045142.png
544 KB, 768x666
I know this track has become a bit of meme but it's still one of my favorite pieces of music in any vidya.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaRM02lWz6M
>>
A masterpiece in every sense of the word, and even to this day is still one of the greatest games of all time.
>>
It was an amazing game for its time and it's an amazing game even today. Could you imagine an HD version of the game? Based Rare.

Also easily my favorite OST of all time.
>>
I wish these good old days would come back. Not 200+ people working on mediocre stuff, but 20 people working on awesome stuff.
>>
>>332512493

They're called indie games now.
There's plenty of great stuff out there.
>>
>>332512624
True, I´ve yet to find something on par with DKC though. At least something that comes close.
>>
>>332510537
While I agree with most of what you said, it was a 90s collect-a-thon. What else did you expect?

I, personally, would like to see another game with a similar formula, but, as you suggested, maybe character-specific levels or maybe have different ways to do shit with different characters as well as some secrets that can only be uncovered with specific characters, etc.
>>
>>332512624
Most indie games are not good though. In their quest for originality, they create either unenjoyable 3deep5u bs or all follow the same fads (e.g. metroidvanias or top-down "rpg's" with pixel graphics). Few are actually good and don't just seem to be made by people pushing game after game hoping one will win the lottery and make it big.
>>
Best rare game for me.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.