[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Eve dying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 20
Why is Eve dying?
>>
>>332505765
Because it is reaching the end of its days.
>>
Barring games released in the past 6 months, what MMOs aren't dying?
>>
>>332505765
Old and stale.
Nothing lives forever.
>>
>>332506005
TORtanic
>>
Because their core audience is reaching 30-40 at which point they're dying in droves from hyper obesity related health issues.
>>
File: dragoncon2010_15.jpg (338 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
dragoncon2010_15.jpg
338 KB, 1280x960
Because whales and goons are moving to Scam Shitizen.
>>
>>332506005
FFXIV is actually growing, servers still have queues and character creation lockouts.
>>
>>332505765
early adopters dying of old age
>>
>>332506252

On 2 servers, which have always had those issues because people want to get the fuck off their dead servers to join the high population ones.
>>
It has burned very brightly for a long time now.
>>
i didnt know eve was still online
>>
File: restriction.jpg (38 KB, 270x471) Image search: [Google]
restriction.jpg
38 KB, 270x471
>>332506346
Not just two servers, multiple servers including JP datacenters. The only one that's really dead is EU.
>>
File: Obvious.png (61 KB, 792x594) Image search: [Google]
Obvious.png
61 KB, 792x594
While most mmo's problem is short endgame where you can get almost the best stuff by binging the game for a month, eve has this retarded barrier of entry hidden behind skill training. When leveling up a single skill can take up to 3 FUCKING MONTHS REALTIME it really discourages a lot of new players.
>>
Because of MOBAS ruining videogames REEEEEEE
>>
>>332506403

Huh. Alright, fair enough.
>>
>>332506171
I can't even tell if he's looking at the camera or not
>>
>>332506489
>whole genres of free games coming out
>muh sub MMOs
>>
I came back with 10 free days but got bored to shit and stopped playing after 2 days
>>
>>332505765
22k players is still a lot. People don't realize that sub based MMOs only need a couple thousand people paying to still be successful. You don't need millions like WoW.
>>
>>332505765
its old and too complex for young, its not helping you can lose 1000$ ship in just one hours
>>
>>332506606
>10 free days
>was supposed to be subbed a month ago, but their ticket support has suddenly become fucking awful
>whole month of SP missing

>>332506702
Frankly, it gets so much criticism for having "low concurrent players" because it's so obvious how much potential the game has.. all fucked over by gating.
>>
>>332506764
just buy an SP injector on the market ;^)
>>
>>332506835
What?
>>
>that feel when you remember this awful garbage video game being shunned from /v/ years ago where every thread would be bombarded with pictures of people falling asleep at their desks/laptops and yawning and talks of pillow accessories to fully enjoy the game and last but not least the "starting a discussion and all of the sudden just typing ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" posts
>>
>>332506871
you can buy and sell skill points now, literally skill points
>>
>>332506907
What makes it awful garbage?
>>
>>332506871
http://massivelyop.com/tag/stromgren/
>>
Too expensive
Not newbee friendly
Even the oldfags seem to get burned out sometime
>>
>>332506940

It's a space game.

It's automatically awful garbage.
>>
File: 1392686435394.jpg (86 KB, 479x270) Image search: [Google]
1392686435394.jpg
86 KB, 479x270
>>332506907
I actually do remember that. I think I've been here too long.

Remember when board culture on /v/ was actually video-game related instead of being the latest in politics and film memes?
Now you'll just get console wars and (X) GAME IS DEAD.
>>
>>332506940
It's not garbage but it's completely fair to say this game isn't for most people.
>>
>>332506992
>20 years of skill training time
Oh, that's why this game is garbage. WTF are they doing letting their sandbox game be governed by 20 years of unlocks?
>>
>>332507107
It's not 20 years of unlocks, stop being stupid.
>>
>>332507342
Read the article.

Also:
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2443719

Git fukd.
>>
>>332507087

Is there some new episodes of that show you just posted or is that from a special or movie?

I don't remember that scene.

>yfw "ill be with you in two shakes of a crying bebbeh"
>>
>>332507107
The article even says he'd have no meaningful advantage over a normal character with a decent build.
>>
File: 1459331627286.png (8 KB, 224x87) Image search: [Google]
1459331627286.png
8 KB, 224x87
>>332507342
>>332507481
Go back to /eog/. A sandbox game that locks its sandbox content behind 20 years of linear progression is worth being ignored by 99% of the gaming industry.
>>
>>332507396
I read the article, it takes 20 years to gather that much XP manually, it's not an unlock system, it's just XP and leveling.

Do you also bitch that it takes too long to reach max level in Dark Souls? Because it's exactly the same case here; there's no fucking point in hitting max level anyway.

>>332507575
You're not fit to shine my boots, bottom of the barrel trolling you lazy little boy.
>>
>>332506005
Phantasy Star Online 2 seems alive and well considering how hard it is to get into certain ships, but it's hard to get any information on player numbers.
>>
File: 1428927667015.jpg (16 KB, 339x347) Image search: [Google]
1428927667015.jpg
16 KB, 339x347
>>332505765
>number of players is increasing
>dying
>>
File: 1455178020923.jpg (255 KB, 960x717) Image search: [Google]
1455178020923.jpg
255 KB, 960x717
>>332507745
>manually
It's paying a sub to get a linear stream of SP. 20 years vs. beating a game in a month is pretty falsely equivalent.

>It's not an unlock system
From where does it seem like every stat, module, and ship in the game comes?

Apologies if I fucked up your thread. Maybe the devs shouldn't have fucked up their game.

>as if any of the original devs are still around
Protip: they aren't.
>>
>>332507869
It's the lowest ever in that graph.
>>
>>332507869
If you look there's a small bump at the beginning of each year.
>>332507964
If you look you'd see that you're wrong.
>>
>>332505765
The game is older than WoW, all MMOs decline overtime as new games come out.
>>
>>332507919
>Apologies if I fucked up your thread.

You think I'm upset that you've posted your half-baked opinion in someone's thread? Holy shit you've got a lofty opinion of yourself, you have trouble getting a chair with enough support for that fat head of yours kid?

>From where does it seem like every stat, module, and ship in the game comes?

I really hope english isn't supposed to be your first language.

You don't need to grind the game for 20 years to be able to play, nothing is locked away from you by decades of grinding, no one would play a game like that.

The article itself says that the players of the game think it's a huge waste of money, so why do you think you'll get anywhere pretending it's an essential investment to get started with EVE?
>>
>>332508007
>If you look you'd see that you're wrong.
Year over year, twat.
>>
>>332508105
They put numbers on graphs for a reason.
>>
>>332507964
Lowest ever was in December 2015
>>
File: 1353691185935.jpg (44 KB, 634x473) Image search: [Google]
1353691185935.jpg
44 KB, 634x473
>>332505765
no video game is meant to be played forever
some day they'll all die
>>
They are doing a lot of revamps that don't work well witht other aspects of the game yet or require further development time to be really fleshed out.

I think a lot of people like me are just biding their time until all the sov and structure changes are over.
>>
File: k.png (25 KB, 354x262) Image search: [Google]
k.png
25 KB, 354x262
>>332508086
What?

BTFO
>>
File: 1323108751970.jpg (287 KB, 1112x1446) Image search: [Google]
1323108751970.jpg
287 KB, 1112x1446
>>332506907
Good times

Pic semi-related
>>
>>332508204
I'm not even the same poster. Just telling you that you're a goal-post moving faggot.

You're just here to "win" an argument instead of having an honest debate. You're a disgusting snake. Fuck you and your mother and every 17 year old shitface like you.

Y
>>
>>332508204
If it takes 20 years or $30k to grind skills to unlock Titan ships, how have people been flying them for almost a decade?

BFTO! Fucking please, what are you, twelve?
>>
>>332506489
Dota like games have little to do with the decline of MMOs.

Randomly generated open world Minecraft games where you can do whatever the fuck you want have taken the step that MMOs are too afraid to approach. They take on the mantle of being the kind of game you go to for exploration, freedom of activity and the ability to create. They even have their own effective economies with rare materials and the games are equally huge timesinks, trading grinding up levels and raid drops for digging in the ground for hours.

The Minecrafts scratch EVERY itch and then some. The modern MMO themeparks and treadmills don't.

There's not a thing that an MMO does that has it stand out anymore. The "play with hundreds of people" was the one real draw back in the 90s and it's an obsolete gimmick now, scant few MMOs had a lasting thing like a player economy and self-made structures/towns in Ultima and SWG. Folks are more than happy playing with a couple people, because they aren't interacting with the hundreds of others anyway.
>>
File: Asiapose1SeoYouJinHorns_thumb.jpg (33 KB, 465x301) Image search: [Google]
Asiapose1SeoYouJinHorns_thumb.jpg
33 KB, 465x301
OP, take a note from this faggot right here..

>>332507869

Just make a chart that makes it seem like the population is rising and then when you see people in game you'll be like "woa there's like thousands and thousands more out there like that chart said!" and you'll feel better about the whole thing.

It's a form of self-brainwashing but who cares! life is only a dream anyway! believe what you want!
>>
>>332506907
This has literally always been an apple and grapes thing.

People do that shit because they hear cool stories about eve, try it and then get bored because they don't know what to do or who to play with.

You can then either decide whether it is you that is too dumb or the game that is bad. People decide that the game is bad and will hate it with a passion because they feel like they were supposed to like it from the stuff they heard.

Fox ass motherfuckers.
>>
>>332508326
Have the debate, then? Why the fuck would any decent percentage of the gaming industry play a game with every stat behind a bunch of real life payments.. IN A SANDBOX GAME?

What the fuck is 20 years times 12 times $15?

>>332508378
>implying that's what's stated in a discussion about "every skill in the game"
So upset.
>>
>>332508414
They should like it. Yet, how can they like it if everything they would try is locked behind paywall gating?
>>
>>332508380
Not saying you're entirely wrong but you're broadly overestimating how much of an mmo-experience minecraft can give you.

I can't have fleets with 3k people and several lines of command and different coalitions cooperating in minecraft. Neither can I kill giant, complicated bosses that require teamwork with my raid.

You're also forgetting that eve is very much a sandbox game already. You can't build a mud castle but you can build an empire.
>>
>>332508437
>So upset.

If that's all the effort you can be bothered to put in, I'm just going to imply that you're angry and call it a victory.

U Mad.
>>
>>332508437
>Have the debate, then?

But your entire premise is flawed and you know it and have been told several times. It does not take 20 years to train for a titan. End of discussion. Everything further is you moving goal posts like I already said you fucking snake.

You genuinely 100% honestly disgust me and I think people like you need to be killed. You'll go on and be a dishonest shit all your life.
>>
>>332508590
>just repeating what I said
Is this grade school, nerd?
>>
>>332508606
Nobody said it takes that for a titan. You're strawmanning.

So, if you can't even state my "premise", what the fuck are you doing replying? Git gud.
>>
>>332508529
Like what precisely?

>hurr I want to fly i titan NOWWWW!!!111

What these people don't realize is that the problem isn't how many skills you have. The problem is whether you generate ernough ISK to finance operating a titan, whether you have a giant coalition supporting your titan so you don't get blown up.

You can literally just buy a pilot with titan skills from the character bazaar.
Advanced players rarely have less than 2 accounts at least and flying big ships is more about whether or not you and your friends generate enough isk and whether your corp/alliance decided to let you fly one.

You have a very superficial understanding of the game and how everything actually plays out so I'd like you to stop this right now.
>>
>>332508782
>the problem isn't how many skills you have. The problem is whether you generate ernough ISK to finance operating a titan
Bullshit. What the fuck does finance help if the character is prevented from even getting in the ship?

So, you're trying to hide the fact that SP really is the problem with progression and thus how effective the average pilot is at any role that would develop content.. by trying to deflect of what you perceive *MY* understanding of the game to be?

So what, characters can be purchased. That doesn't make the industry interested in a sandbox that gates its sandbox content.
>>
>>332506478

Actually to get anywhere near competitive PvP level in a cruiser or battle cruiser requires a little over a year of training.....
>>
I tried EVE for about 2 weeks. It was very boring, and had a lot of barriers to entry, even with huge amounts of help from a clan I joined up with.
>>
Can't speak for anyone else, but i don't want to have to dedicate like 2 years to be competitive at high end play.

I can go pick up WoW or FF14 and grind a month at most before i reach the point where skill is the determining factor, rather than resources or time spent on the game.

I mean, i'm not going to do either, but i'm a die hard Sci-fi guy and despite the setting, the mechanics are just a complete turn off.
>>
>>332505765
Because I'm not spending a whole month sat with my thumb up my ass waiting for a single skill to level. What's the point of even leveling skills if I can play the game already? Shit's fucking retarded.
>>
>Playing a game that allows you to legally multibox if you pay for it.

Audible laughter, my friends. This game touts itself as some social sandbox, but there's really no point when people can have a bunch of alts that are all technically grinding at the same time. Just ask your dedicated corpmates. You're just a cog in the machine. If you want to play a sandbox MMO where you can be at end game in a week and the game is actually not about the grinding, check out Ultima Online servers. They're free.
>>
>>332508912
>What the fuck does finance help if the character is prevented from even getting in the ship?

Because you buy the skill injectors, like the article says.

Can you actually read? Because you've obviously never played EVE.
>>
>>332505765
Its old
>>
>>332507575
I have never set foot in /eog/ in my life, nor have I ever played the game. All I did was use Google and read the whole fucking article.
>>
test
>>
>>332509115
For what point? To what extent?

>spending $30k on a 3/10 video game

>>332509107
They disallowed broadcasting though, so good luck.
>>
>>332508915
And in the meantime I'm expected to do nothing?
>>
>>332509279
pong
>>
>>332509107

Two simple solutions for making the gameplay not oriented around multi-boxing:

>Gameplay is in depth enough to require a human's attention, not a macro + utilitarian/administrative roles can be done for everyone and with the aid of gameplay mechanics so at most only a head with an inventory alt or something is necessary, not every member of a group that is of worth.

>NPCs help do the jobs you'd multibox for, without paying real money

Done and done.
Speaking of, SC does both of those essentially.
Looking forward to Shroud of the Avatar for real sandbox gameplay though.
>>
>>332508912
>Bullshit. What the fuck does finance help if the character is prevented from even getting in the ship?

As I've already said, if you generate enough isk to buy and fuel a titan you also have enough isk to buy a pilot capable of flying it.

Titans are ALWAYS flown on dedicated alts to begin with to avoid getting tracked by enemy alliances. I think the amount of people who are flying a titan on the same character they started playing the game with is virtually 0.

You don't fly your titan alone either. You need an entire fleet of support or you are dead if caught by anyone.

>So, you're trying to hide the fact that SP really is the problem with progression and thus how effective the average pilot is at any role that would develop content

No I'm not. You're just under the impression that people play this game like a regular MMO and that you're somehow bound to your character. All you're bound to is ISK.

In your head the most likely scenario to a titan is
>play game
>train for titan
>just buy one
>fly it around

When in reality the more likely scenario is you being chosen to get the titan pilot/account by your alliance since it is almost always a group investment.
You can hardly even buy a titan in the first place if you aren't part of one of the groups producing them. Very similar to nuclear weapons irl.
My other point is that a new player would neither have the skills nor the finances nor the support to fly anything bigger than X anyways.
>>
>>332509107
The misconception here is that you're paying for those multiple accounts with real money.

The veterans and advanced players have long surpassed the need to pay for the game.

Heck, you could make enough dosh in your first months just doing nullsec exploration with shit skills to pay for your subscription provided you joined a good alliance.

Yes, almost everyone has multiple accounts but no almost no one actually pays for that with real money.
>>
>>332509346
>Speaking of, SC does both of those essentially
It deeply saddens me that people are still thinking of SC as some sort of "Eve with gameplay", basically proof that you never played both.
>>
>>332509553

>Thinks people who stop playing EVE just literally die or vanish

lel
>>
>>332509553
Yeah, discussing eve on /v/ is very frustrating.

It's a mix of legit complaints about the game, apples and grapes mentality and people trying to use their experience from other games to come to conclusions about eve when it is painfully obvious that they really don't know what they're talking about.

Almost everyone here has probably had a trial account but I bet you fewer than 10% have gotten past the first 2 or 3 days.
>>
>>332509406
>As I've already said, if you generate enough isk to buy and fuel a titan you also have enough isk to buy a pilot capable of flying it.
No, dude.

Even more, then what about carriers and T2s and T3s? The list goes on. This titan fixation is your thing.

>No I'm not. You're just under the impression that people play this game like a regular MMO and that you're somehow bound to your character. All you're bound to is ISK.
So, the average pilot effectiveness *is* lower? Because that would stagnate content, the word which the whole community rallies about.

What does this have to do with "playing the game like a regular MMO"? The game legitimately can't be played until that niche is unlocked through real money, basically, either from the purchaser or the seller.

Furthermore, if all you're bound to is ISK and not characters, why have SP at all? Duh. It serves nothing that wouldn't be better without it. That's the conversation, isn't it? Everything about SP detracts from the sandbox, because that's its whole purpose. Everything about the game is hampered by 20 year training queues, now with more options to mitigate with real money.

>more about titans
See above.
>>
>>332509679

>>332509601

There's far more players than just you samefagsan, and far more players than you who quit. Fuck off with your shittily designed geriatric joke of a simulator.
>>
File: tumblr_mhy8hiGpr31r1zp3fo1_1280.jpg (214 KB, 1225x1410) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhy8hiGpr31r1zp3fo1_1280.jpg
214 KB, 1225x1410
>>332509740
>Fuck off

What, you think you're the guy who gets to say what topics are permitted here?
>>
File: you_fucking_retard.png (68 KB, 945x559) Image search: [Google]
you_fucking_retard.png
68 KB, 945x559
>>332509728
>Even more, then what about carriers and T2s and T3s? The list goes on. This titan fixation is your thing.

Reformulate so it's an argument I can reply to. This is just gibberish.

>So, the average pilot effectiveness *is* lower? Because that would stagnate content, the word which the whole community rallies about.

Reformulate so it's an argument I can reply to. This is just gibberish.

>Furthermore, if all you're bound to is ISK and not characters, why have SP at all?

Moving goal posts again.

>>332509740
I don't even get how these two posts are connected you mongo. The guy who posted lel was actually attacking me. Stop breathing through your mouth.
>>
>>332510027
Reading comprehension?

There are more ships to unlock than just titans. That's why this is what the post says. That's why this is what the argument was way before some fagpost got on about "muh titans".

>more deflection

>goal posts
It's a legitimate question, of which apparently has no satisfactory answer from that side.

Seems like a win. Enjoy.
>>
>>332510174
>It's a legitimate question, of which apparently has no satisfactory answer from that side.

My point is that you're just throwing confused attacks towards eve online to see what sticks and expect me to reply to that.

Formulate you base assertion again and we can go from there.
>>
I think games that have anything between the player and the victory screen are pretentious garbage.
>>
>>332505765
Old players leave and no new player come because the community and game itself is unwelcoming.
>>
>>332510446
No. You're presuming they're not based in facts. What the fuck is there to even guess about? There's 20 years of skill queues per character for a full outfit. How is there any confusion about what the point is?
>>
>>332509553

>SC denier
wew lad
Let's see:

>Economy that means jack shit to anyone, so even "circuit board" is an actual commodity and not just a random fluff drop from rats
>Ownership of the private industry sector to gain leverage over the market
>NPC buyers for all goods that outweighs the (arbitrary, meta) demand produced by players
>Room to make use of large groups of players, with gameplay mechanics that give them diminishing returns making use of goonswarm strategy because it's realistic rather than nonsensical
>NPCs are a better alternative to multi-boxing
>Sub free for better player retention
>No arbitrary skill points limitation to prevent players with actual skills from being able to serve the faction of their choice in a role of their choosing
>World building that actually invites exploration rather than XX-YYY excessive numbers of empty, useless systems with no appeal
etc etc.

Of course SC isn't a spreadsheet simulator, it's just offering a better space game experience. :^)
>>
File: 122.jpg (396 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
122.jpg
396 KB, 1920x1200
Playing Eve all day at home was one of my dream for so long.. Seeing it dying breaks my heart.

Every summer I subscribe for a month and try a new job, this way I can grasp the different aspects of the game even if I'm only an insignificant ant in its world. Strangely hauling was the most fun and exploration the least, why? Simply because during my journeys of hauling across the galaxy I met tons of interesting people for some reason.

This game is the last of its kind. And don't give me your Star Shroud of the Black Mortal Runescape: Legacy (nostalgia) Edition, these are barely standing on their feet or not even release yet and trust me they won't sell well at release.

Because sandbox MMOs aren't popular anymore these days. Eve is a survivor because it maintained its playerbase from the glory days of sandbox but this fanbase is a limited stock. Any sandbox games needs a strong initial impulse to really flourish.

Just like arena FPS, I think we should let these die then wait a good 10 years until someone really tries to bring something new on the table instead of mimicking what people want or think they want and failing miserably since nothing can be as good as a sandbox you're looking at through nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>332510658
You can't even clearly formulate what your problem is so I'm out.

No idea what eve did to you but you're one bitter ex.
>>
>>332510826

EVE's lasted so long because it's idea of player retention is to keep pumping the dicks of players that stick around so they have the biggest of them all, and they might as well put them to use right?

Stop fucking glorifying complete shit. The main reason everyone left was how badly the dev team devolved after they started with a neat concept. Just look at the news and rate of development over the years.
>>
>>332510446
How is it confused attacks ? I'm not even that previous anon and I think his points are crystal clear, perhaps it's the native German that's the problem ?

He's saying that SP is a problem to the game's progression because it locks all content behind a time gate. Yes you can use money to buy injectors and gain those skills, but you need to gain money somehow which loops back to the issue of gating content.

You retorted that SP isnt the problem with titans to which he answered it has fuck all to do with titans, the problem is applied to most of the better ships.

Previous argument apart, I have to agree that this is also my issue with EvE. What matters the most is the destination not the journey. The gameplay is average at best and the only true goal is not character progression or exploration of the game world but to stack ISK. ISK that you use to buy things you cannot use until you dump enough (literal) time to learn to use it to make more ISK. It reminds me of a day job where my time and talents would be better spent trying to make real money in the real world instead.
>>
>>332510826

>Sandbox MMOs aren't popular anymore
>right after throwing out two even bigger sandbox MMOs that were successful and the MOST successful crowdfunding campaigns in video games
>Then says it needs 10 years before someone brings something new to the table

Talk about nostalgia gog- oh wait you did! You massive fucking hypocrite.
>>
>>332510839
My problem? That's pretty specific. How about digressing to retention rates, content issues for fresh players all the way up through T2s or whatever it would be for a fulfilling null experience (I'd say carriers), politic stagnation from lack of game interest, etc. The list is huge, and it's all because the sandbox is really just a microtransaction simulator.. devoid of most of the interesting aspects like having both combat *and* industry options for a single character.

>shitty game design must be bitterness
Maybe design documents should fluff this out before trying to pass off 20 years of skill queue limitations as interesting and satisfying progression.

The problem is formulated all through the thread. Apologies about the denial.
>>
>>332510779
Yeah this game really looks great on paper, probably the reason why I gave $30 to these fucktards.
But, again, have you actually played it? Because it plays like shit, CryEngine is a wise choice of engine as long as all you want is shiny screenshots to gather more money, but if you want to make an open world game you have to be retarded as fuck to pick this instead of literally anything else.
I mean eve the tiny as fuck "mini-pu" is instanced and limited to 30 players, people who think this is OK just like in Elite are people who don't actually want a sandbox mmo.
>inb4 it's just a beta
You can tell just by looking at the fucking number of polygon of any ship that everything will be instanced.
>>
>>332510975
>It reminds me of a day job where my time and talents would be better spent trying to make real money in the real world instead.
This is why I unsubbed.
>>
>>332510779
Man, space is all about spreadsheets and shit. It's really empty out there.
>>
>>332510997
>Scam Shitizen
>MMO
They'll be lucky if they'll manage to get 50 people on one instance, so far they're struggling with 30.
>>
>>332511121

As someone who backed in Oct 2012, has been studying game development for the bast couple of years and followed every technical tidbit they come out with, all you have is
>it's just a beta
Which it isn't even, kek.

Every technical and logistical decision they have made since the beginning has been rock solid, at least at the time. The only mistakes (they won't admit) is simply their choice in outsourcing early on (CGBot mainly)
>>
>>332510997
>the MOST successful crowdfunding campaigns in video games
Are you seriously using this as an argument?
This mostly means it has the potential to be the biggest failure in Kickstarter history

They basically promised things in their Kickstarter that they already ditched. They even initially said the game would come out by the end of 2013.
More money doesn't mean a better game, especially when the dev team doesn't know what to do with it or how to handle the human ressources, just look at Destiny for a great example.
>>
>>332511349

500 pirate ships, in one instance, by accident.
You're also getting hung up on the notion that instance = hard walls in space, which is not at all what they're choosing to do. The term instance in SC is solely the technical definition, in that a server will take over the logic needed to make the game run for X ships, and as soon as it becomes inappropriate (ships Y distance apart) it simply hands off seamlessly.

Mini-PU is literally mini-PU because server clusters are not available yet while they make absolutely sure single servers don't shit the bed for all of them.
>>
>>332511524

>I'm going to be a huge goalpost moving, selective memory based faggot

lel

>Most successful
>Nobody wants sandbox MMOs

Everything else you have to say is pure conjecture or completely out of context. Please never actually enter game development. Or politics, or anything of actual responsibility.
>>
>>332511393
Nice someone who actually cares about the game.
I have a question for you, have they communicated about the shitty on-foot movement and the fact that you face animation locks for almost any interaction you do? Are they even aware it's a problem?
That's a deal breaker for me.
>>
>>332508782
>What these people don't realize is that the problem isn't how many skills you have.

It literally does though. Unless you buy a Titan alt from the Bazaar you will need to train for YEARS before becoming proficient at piloting one. Coalition leaders love to hire new titan pilots too.
>>
>>332511530
>500 NPC pirate ships at 3FPS, in one instance, by accident.
Yes, and?

>Mini-PU is literally mini-PU
50 people in the target number for instances, they've been talking about it for ages. Not to mention, it's a realistic number due to how complicated Cryengine calculations are. No one is stopping you from pushing 200 people in one node, it's just going to be too laggy to be playable and player skill will be out of the question.

Chris' scam is not a real MMO, it's instanced multiplayer game like Vindictus or DDO.
>>
>>332511639

In Q&A they've at least mentioned about four times they don't like "one speed for every animation" and do want to change it.
Also expressed low interest in VR while working on this and just about everything else first, so face locks will be around for a little while longer.

Foot movement has been improved a bit more but I haven't had time to let a download complete yet to check it out myself.

The biggest focus appears to be completing ship systems and components and their current biggest success streak is rapid implementation of ships to a flyable state, which they've done at least one ship a month now since they started pumping out monthly updates.

>>332511827

Please kid, do some research.
Not only is it not person based, it's ship based (and the rough number was 100, not 50 out of your arse), and as stated the instances are not hard-walled so you can't even draw comparisons to any other game. A better comparison would be any Octree based game from CoD to Arma, and you don't see anyone bitching about being instanced to about six guys average in one instance.
>>
I can't believe you faggots are arguing so hard for MMOs where everyone gets a prize as soon as they start playing.
>>
>>332511603
>Most successful
>Nobody wants sandbox MMOs
You're literally too retarded to remember a post past 5 minutes or something? I already addressed this point.

see
>>332510826
>mimicking what people want or think they want
Give people a good pitch to fantasize about with a few CryEngine shots and money will flow. Say to them "We'll bring Ultima glory days back" with a "Hello neighbor" meme to show them how you want to replicate a relic from the past they probably never played but heard everyone praise it through nostalgia goggles and money will fucking flow.

Now give me one successful sandbox MMO Kickstarter that is released and currently doing well. Everquest Next? The Repopulation?
Go ahead. And while you're busy defending your unreleased turd without any actually example of something like this that turned out great at release, let me have the benefit of the doubt.
>>
File: 1458749113742.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1458749113742.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>332512040
>Please kid, do some research.
Seen every Upset After the German, "pops". You should probably do some reseach yourself.

Imagine entering the tavern in WoW, but instead of all 200 people showing, only 50 of your priority contacts visible. Much MMO, so massive.
Go back to /r/scamcitizen and stay there circlejerking about your wet dream game Chris is promising you. Reality is even more sad than current state of PU.
>>
>>332512115

My rebuttal: My crystal ball says your crystal ball is actually made of glass and is therefore a real piece of shit for actually foretelling the future.

Oh wait, that's not what you want to hear so you'll just pull an asinine reason out of your arse for why that's not a valid argument.

Erm, right. Like everyone who backed the game, with the most money no less, have no idea who these people running the kickstarters are. Oh no wait, most people backed because they do, or they saw these people back and saw it would be successful.
>>
>>332512261

I'm sorry, are you assuming one pub a city is enough to house the millions that live in it just fine?

top kek m8
>>
>>332512043
All current MMOs are shit, except perhaps some that just came out, as I haven't tried them.

WoW, EVE, Maplestory, FF XIV, GW2, et-fucking-cetera. Dungeon Fighter seems OK, but it's not what EVE could be without SP.
>>
I don't know why you faggots compulsively drag SC into conversations of EVE (and vice versa) but it's getting annoying listening to these memes from 2013.
>>
>>332512404
Because EVE has "legitimate competition" in the form of every feature that a Freelancer MMO would have, and it wouldn't even have to be SC that does it.
>>
>>332512404
>>332512461
Also, contrasts probably get brought up because the EVE community is so fucking argumentative like the game is totes the best, can't get better, is perfect, and such. By avidly (and seemingly baselessly) professing a game that 99% of the industry that's played it finds problems with, the only discussion is "well, I'm interested in this other game".. and for good reasons. There's a list of them here: >>332510779
>>
>>332512461
So it's autism? Got it.
>>
>>332512573
It's fantasy. Ya know, all that potential that EVE is supposed to have, as the doors open to more closed doors on subscription?
>>
>>332512565
You're confusing the EVE community with CCP marketing schemes. Nice rhetoric anyways.
>>
File: 1345466440591.png (15 KB, 528x434) Image search: [Google]
1345466440591.png
15 KB, 528x434
>>332512289
>Most people backed because they do
>Pulling shit out of your ass as your final argument
I say final because I won, you basically bailed out of the sensible conversation we had with this one.
aAnd just like that, you suddenly sound like a child. Please never actually enter game development. Or politics, or anything of actual responsibility.
>>
>>332512658
Unless CCP comes in every EVE thread (plausible), it can't be.
>>
>>332512668

>I played wing commander...
>I loved the wing commander series!
>I started with freelancer..
>I played the shit out of ultima online
>I played all the ultimas
etc

This is what you hear at every meet up, every forum thread talking about the game etc.
These people do exist unlike your life, snarf!
>>
>>332512710
Some organizations do it for free, you know?
>>
>>332512841
Schnnaaaaarrrf.
>>
File: eve-players-since2008[1].png (36 KB, 1007x397) Image search: [Google]
eve-players-since2008[1].png
36 KB, 1007x397
Holy shit. It's completely dead.
>>
>>332513127
inb4 0'd memes
>>
>>332513127
>22k players
>completely dead
You are the dumbest motherfucker.
>>
>>332513418
Tell me how it is not dead please?
>>
>>332513418

I'd be willing to bet launch didn't have multiboxing be the norm, so people were actually one character max average as opposed to today, where at least two or even three is the average, so you can divide that number.
>>
File: pop-alts[1].png (16 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
pop-alts[1].png
16 KB, 900x600
>>332513662
There's a statistic for that.
>>
>>332513770
Can you show me how many poofs there are per daily poff?
>>
>>332513770

That's a quality source, considering there was some degree of banning at one point and it sounds incredibly farfetched that most players took up multiple accounts when starting for the first time.

Also you don't do a fucking line chart for such a large span of time, it loses so much data, at least with only one line. Where's the upper and lower amounts? What percent had 1/2/3/4+?

I know a few people in an org in the last year considering a FOURTH alt.
>>
>>332513898
>>
>>332513953
how much money does playing this game cost jesus
>>
>>332513953
u mad bro? y u mad?
>>
>>332514060
$15 per account to potentially nothing.
>>
Because endless progression makes it pointless to start, since you'll never catch up.
>>
File: 1432311381595.jpg (913 KB, 1200x873) Image search: [Google]
1432311381595.jpg
913 KB, 1200x873
>tfw i just unsubbed the other day and contributed to the statistic

Sorry CCP, I really like your game but I need a break.
>>
>>332514346
For what?
>>
>>332512841
>>332512841
I think there is a strong vocal minority of players like this indeed yeah. But they're not representative of the playerbase, and this is true for every official forum out there. Most of my friends who bought SC are normies who never played any space sim before, they heard about it from other normies hyping the script of a game. These guys are the majority, not you, not the 100 same people circlejerking on the official forums.
>>
>>332514445
They've gotten $111M from 1.3M players. There's a "majority", and it's not obvious what the demographic is; but the point is that it's popular.
>>
>>332514445

Except for the part where the people who actually got it off the ground, before it became more well known (and here's an interesting fact: most people haven't heard of it even today, even after the BBC put out a few articles) are those "vocal minority". The majority of the money came long after the game was fully funded.

And literally nobody has heard of Shroud of the Avatar by comparison, but that took off just fine in it's fundraising deadline.

October 2012 was when the SC kickstarter started and I only wound up in the first 100k backers before it was over, that's still a big fucking interest.
>>
>>332514364

Other games.
>>
>>332514757
MMOs?
>>
>>332514823

No I also play fighting games and there are a lot of new ones.
>>
>>332515179
Which one is your main game right now
>>
Damn...
I really liked playing Eve but after these numbers, I will probably unsub too. I mean, what is the point in keeping playing?
>>
>>332505765
Its massively stagnated and a history of bending over backwards for the top 1% means they cant do anything about it
>>
>>332507107
>others players feel that being able to create a three-day-old max character cheapens their own time investment in EVE
Absolutely beautiful - MMOs are fucking insidious, and it's time these ostracized and antisocial people realized that they're wasting their lives over what is essentially a bit of code. Hopefully this will be the push they need to re-prioritize and get back out into the world or face whatever issues they had in the first place.
>>
>>332505765
Thanks for the warning OP. I was gonna try this game but I guess I'll wait for Star Citizen instead.
>>
>>332516163
Yeah. There is really no point in getting into Eve anymore.
>>
What's the best option for a small, fresh group danking for ISK to get characters?

The only thing my corporation ever did for dosh was gatecamp and hisec anomalies. Seems like complete garbo.
>>
>>332516908
Let it go, anon.
>>
D A N K M E M E S
A N K M E M E S
N K M E M E S
K M E M E S
M E M E S
E M E S
M E S
E S
S
Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.