[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>hurr xbox has no exclusives worth emulating
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7
File: bamco.jpg (53 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
bamco.jpg
53 KB, 350x500
>hurr xbox has no exclusives worth emulating
>>
ITT: Things no one ever said but a certain special faggot thinks is worth making a thread over.
>>
figuratively whom?
>>
This game was one of my wishlist favorites.

I never got to play it despite having a friend who owned it and never asked him to borrow it.
>>
>>332487407
This game was great, i wish it got a remake. Remeber the E3 trailer and how downgraded the actual game got?
>>
>>332488759
they kept in first person hamburger eating, so it turned out alright.
>>
>>332488851
>satisfied by first person hamburger eating

typical american
>>
>>332489335
>not wanting that
typical third word thinking
>>
>yfw "Our savior is born!"
>>
>>332489335
Guilty as charged.

I need to get around to beating that one white room with respawning muscle guys again. You know the one.
>>
>>332489451
>third word

Illiterate fuck.
>>
File: Otogi.png (327 KB, 320x460) Image search: [Google]
Otogi.png
327 KB, 320x460
>>332487407
Reboot when?
>>
JET SET RADIO FUTURE PC PORT FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>332489946
Never, I still have my JSRF/SEGA GT disc though. Amazing how well the game holds up. People lose their shit over how Battlefront looks, JSRF is still the best looking game I've ever played.
>>
>>332487407
>wanting to emulate an eating simulator
Bitch just go to mcdonalds or something.
>>
>>332487407
That is some glorious 70s movie poster-like cover art. If it came out today it would probably just be the guy standing in front of some abstract background with the title somewhere around his crotch.
>>
>>332487407
>hear game good
>buy on sale years ago
>pop that baby in
>horrible controls
>learn how to play
>finally get going
>pick up gun
>look at gun
>press button to reload
>have to let go of look at gun
>takes an hour to do this
>turn off game

Well that was fun.
I thought it was supposed to be a first person God Hand?
>>
>>332489654
Bich homo niggar fagget

Gro up
>>
for a second i thought you posted crimson skies

crimson skies was like my favourite xbox exclusive. and mike pondsmith, the guy who made the cyberpunk tabletop and is making cyberpunk 2077, was also working on crimson skies. so i'm really fucking excited for cyberpunk.

xbox was a fucking hell of a console. and it's also the one console that people haven't been able to properly fully emulate. so while all the sonyponies got good games on their ps2, i can just emulate them on my pc now at a higher framerate and resolution. but they will never ever ever emulate all those xbox exclusives, they will have to fork out money to buy a used xbox.

also modded xbox's are a fucking dream, honestly one of the best 'retro' consoles to own if you mod it and make it faster, increase the hdd space and put a ton of shit on it. if i wanted i could transfer a huge library of xbox games directly to the hdd but there's no point because i have so many burned to disc. which lets me put coinops on it instead.

xbox was the one time microsoft tried to DO something positive for gaming but now all they have xbone which is dead in the water
>>
When Microsoft introduced Kinect I always thought a remake with Kinect controls would have been cool and it would probably even work better as a VR headset game now
>>
>>332490308
>yfw conker on xbox looked better than tons of 360 games
how the fuck did they do it
>>
but thats not bistro cupid OP
>>
>>332490865
Shooting is only in the beggining. Most of the game is fist fights.
>>
>>332491587
Figured.
I actually dusted off the old Xbox the other day.
Maybe I'll give it another shot.
>>
File: ninjagaidenblack_xboxbox.jpg (54 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
ninjagaidenblack_xboxbox.jpg
54 KB, 354x500
Thanks for recommending this game /v/, the combat just feels so freaking good

>mfw the dabilahro
pure sex
>>
>>332489909
Never.

>Released in North America half a year after its Japanese release, in the middle of 2003, Otogi: Myth of Demons was loved by critics. It won EDGE's 2003 Game Awards as the Graphical Achievement of the Year, and many heaped praise on its musical score. Like many critically acclaimed niche titles, however, it didn't sell very well, and moved around 130,000 copies, 80,000 of those North American. This same pattern was repeated with the release of its sequel in North America almost a year after the Japanese release, with love from critics but a lukewarm reception in the market, a paltry 40,000 North American copies. One man even sent a letter to Electronic Gaming Monthly, curious on how short EGM's review of the game was, and received a response from the editor-in-chief at the time, Dan Hsu: "As good of a game Otogi 2 is, we still have to acknowledge that relatively few people want to read about it."

;_;
>>
>>332487407
I thought this was a starwars game until I enlarged the image, I was disappointed
>>
>>332492190
How does I play this? Will it work on my 360? My original xbox hueg is kicking around but struggles to read discs really badly.
>>
>>332492643
I believe Black works on 360.
>>
>>332492643
Yeah it works, but i play on softmodded xbox via hdd

If its your first time playing a ninja gaiden game, its pretty fucking hard, just remember, defense takes priority over anything in this game
>>
OGXbox is great. It's easy to hack and has tons of overlooked games. They're also cheaper than Dreamcasts to get second hand. SEGA made tons of great games for it. I hope to one day be able to get Virtua Cop 3 to run on mine.
>>
Blinx the Time Cat would have been a better example to give
>>
File: 1448094399269.gif (371 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1448094399269.gif
371 KB, 500x375
>no xbox emulation
It hurts
>>
>>332493169
If MS made an xbox app/program for Windows that ran the original games, I'd be all over it.
>>
File: 17916-11779.gif (57 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
17916-11779.gif
57 KB, 320x240
>>332492746
>>332492958
>cheapest Australian version of the game costs $75 dollarydoos on ebay
Fuckdammit that's shit. I might buy an American one for $10 and try my luck with that.
>>
>>332492357
Same thing happened to Breakdown. Due to poor marketing, Xbox owners at the time didn't even know the game existed.
>>
>>332493272
It will be W10 exclusive
>>
>>332493169
I actually never looked into emulating it.

How the fuck is it not possible in 2016?
>>
>>332487407
>said noone ever besides faggot op's imagination
>>
>>332493509
Doesn't matter. Already upgraded one of my PCs to spybot in hopes of this and Halo PC
>>
>>332487407
>running away from Solus
>fighting him the first and second time
>that ending

I don't mind that there's probably no chance of a sequel, it just basically implies that they wreck shit in the future and win it all back
>>
We need more immersive first-person action games. Breakdown was cool, but it's got a lot of problems, including platforming in a game not made for it and the whole replaying the last portion of the game, with all the extreme repetition and tedium that includes, just to avert a few deaths not to mention losing your HUD in the later parts of the game. It makes sense in context but considering you have to manually regain health and how fucking hard the game is, not knowing how much health you have left besides red screen pulsing on low health, and only having a vague indication of the energy charged in your arm, is a tremendous nightmare when the White Room comes.
>>
>>332494145
>not to mention losing your HUD in the later parts of the game. It makes sense in context but considering you have to manually regain health and how fucking hard the game is, not knowing how much health you have left besides red screen pulsing on low health, and only having a vague indication of the energy charged in your arm, is a tremendous nightmare when the White Room comes.

Just press start, the info is all there. The HUD was part of the plot.
>>
File: Breakdowncover.jpg (43 KB, 256x365) Image search: [Google]
Breakdowncover.jpg
43 KB, 256x365
>>332490691

i got breakdown a few months ago, first time playing it since i had rented it when it first came out. it's a really bad game, and playing it back to back with timesplitters 3 really showed that off. the gunplay is probably the worst i've ever seen, the levels are largely big grey hallways, the story is weak but the game presents itself like it's a triple A hollywood thriller, etc. not to mention little stupid plotholes like, why is your first objective to get to the roof of the building when you just get knocked off, then told you need to get to the basement? why weren't you told to get to the basement in the first place?

now Kingdom under Fire, that's a game that makes me wish og Xbox had some proper emulation.
>>
>>332494234
I forgot about that pause menu thing. I know it's part of the plot, but it's still really damn hard. Like taking off the training wheels and then rolling you down San Francisco's hilly streets on a unicycle.
>>
File: 1447989943400.gif (998 KB, 219x300) Image search: [Google]
1447989943400.gif
998 KB, 219x300
>mfw i loved breakdown and >>332489909

like holy fuck /v/ first person action but hot damn did those controls suck
>>
>>332494350
the story got my attention but it is action movie nonsense; and i fucking love it

>you're a soldier that recently came out of a coma to because you got injected with alien blood
>you have to stop the aliens in the middle of the earth
>you're assisted by a girl from the future
>you die by the bbeg
>but wait you were actually in a pod VR simulator because you're a clone or something in the past
>girl from the future doesn't recognize you in the past
>travel back to the future
>beat up bbeg
>>
>>332495234
>but wait you were actually in a pod VR simulator because you're a clone or something in the past
>girl from the future doesn't recognize you in the past
Actually for some reason the explosion in your face warped you as an amnesiac and mortally wounded into the future. That or they found you like that or something, not sure. They use a machine to restore your memories and stabilize your body, you finally get released when everything's come together, meet Alex who hasn't met you in the past yet since she travels back in time from the future you see, get the superpower up for your t'lon power and finally head back into the past for reals yourself to right everything that went wrong.

Then at the end you jump into the future with Alex to go kick some t'lon ass to save her time too.
>>
mod a 360 retard
>>
>>332495587
see i thought he was a clone because there's that room with the kids that Alex says is familiar or something. either way his magic/science powers saved him

also the health bar being visible when you're in the pod is a perfect spoiler
>>
>>332495234
>>but wait you were actually in a pod VR simulator because you're a clone or something in the past

Actually the nuclear bomb's explosion combined with Solus's impenetrable shield sent Derrick to the future, he was behind Solus when the bomb exploded. The aliens won and Solus still intact and stronger than ever. The machine was just to read his memories.
>>
>>332495905
Alex said the room with the kids is familiar because there's a young Alex there who would grow up into the destroyed future to be sent back in time. They went through a lot of effort to try to create a whole timeloop thing, but the game runs on such pure action movie logic that it kind of falls apart if you start to pick at it. Especially the fact that the future apparently needs to be saved too independently of what you've done.
>>
>>332496027
>Especially the fact that the future apparently needs to be saved too independently of what you've done.

I think that ending is just to imply that Solus is Derrick.
>>
>>332490865
Unlike God Hand, Breakdown is actually good.
>>
>>332496339
ohh shit, i would have never guessed that
>>
>>332489909
fuck this game was so shit
>>
>>332487407
>>332493551

Noone's ever said it, but the lack of interest in xbox emulation pretty much amounts to it.

People willing to write emulators are all over everything nintendo and sony, but in all this time, the only playable progress on xbox emulation was some asshole who really wanted to play Turok of all things.

I suppose it's a ballbuster, but that doesn't stop people in other platforms. Xbox seems to just make people shrug and drop it.
>>
>>332496707
"Xbox is just like a PC, it's easy to emulate!"

Yes, we've all heard this silly and pointless argument a million times and it usually ends in the same, and rather ignorant conclusion (or should I say assumption) that just because the Xbox is PC similar, it's hardware should be relatively easy to emulate. That's a very wrong frame of mind. How hard can it be? Very. Xbox's hardware is very complex and still poorly documented to this day. This requires some explanation.

1. Is a PC easy to emulate? Well, I wouldn't say so myself. Take a look at the source code from bochs. A lot of source code/work isn't it?

2. Emulating an x86 CPU is a lot harder than it sounds. I don't know where this mindless assumption comes from. Yes, there's loads of documentation on how the x86 processor works, but that doesn't exactly make it easy. First of all, the x86 instruction set is M-A-S-S-I-V-E! There can be at least 20 different versions of one instruction (i.e. There are many different versions of the MOV instruction, as well as INC, DEC, ADD, SUB, SHR, SHL, AND, OR, XOR etc.) and it takes time to implement them all. Of course, that's not exactly difficult. The real problem is that any modern x86 processor including the Pentium III can execute multiple instructions at once. So it's not like emulating a Z80 doing one instruction at a time. The actual algorithm and how x86 does this is undocumented and still unknown. In short, the Xbox's CPU can be emulated, but not accurately.

http://ngemu.com/threads/why-is-xbox-emulation-premature.132032/
>>
>>332496891
3. Emulating any hardware by NVIDIA is not a walk in the park! The Xbox's GPU, the NV2A is often assumed just a GeForce 3. It's not! It's similar but not identical. It has some GeForce 4 capabilities too, so it's more of a cross between an NV20 and NV25. This is by no means easy to emulate either. NVIDIA's GPUs have very large register sets and afaik not even half of them have been discovered, and a large portion of known registers have unknown purposes. There is little to no documentation on how NVIDIA GPUs work. The best thing to do is to look at similar GPUs such as RIVA, TNT, and older GeForce cards. Some registers are similar, but not identical. The best place to look for information is in open source drivers available on the net. Adding to the dificulty is that no one has ever discovered how pixel shaders work on NV2x cards, vertex shaders yes though. The Xbox GPU also has exclusive registers that are not found in other GeForce cards. Information on the NV2A's GPU registers are just now beginning to be discovered a few months ago. And yet, there's still a long way to go. The GeForce 3 series is the most mysterious of all NVIDIA GPUs (G7x and G8x aside) and the NV2A is alot worse. "But can't you just directly execute the NV2A instructions on another NVIDIA card?". No, I get alot of questions concerning this, and it is impossible. It's MMIO addresses are different and the exclusive registers must be emulated. Plus, in windows, we don't have ring 0 access anyway, so you all can scratch that idea now. Then comes the NForce 2 chipset. This is where it get easier. The NVIDIA MCPX is the control center for things such as audio, USB for input, Network adapters, PCI, AGP, etc. These things are not really that difficult to emulate IMO except for the audio.
>>
>>332496949
4. The Audio system is rather complex. Xbox's audio consists of at least 4 DSPs, and audio codec (AC '97) and an NVIDIA SoundStorm APU. The DSPs shouldn't be a problem (just figuring out what they all are is) nor should the AC '97 but the NVIDIA SoundStorm APU is the really difficult part. So far I haven't found any information on this thing, but right now, it's relevance is low.

5. The Xbox BIOS isn't fully understood. The basic execution process of the BIOS is understood, but details on the process are at a loss. What we do know gives us hints, but before the BIOS can be emulated, we'll need a better understanding of the Xbox hardware layout because the BIOS does some unknown hardware initialization at boot time and writes to the hardware directly without using any XDK stuff. It will take some time, and effort, but I'll eventually get it working.

6. Video Encoder "Hell". Instead of using a RAMDAC for video output, the Xbox uses a Video Encoder. What makes this suck a pain? Microsoft sought the need to change the video encoder every other Xbox version (there are seven in all, 1.0 - 1.6). Why, I dunno, it's a Microsoft thing, they always tend to try to "fix" things that aren't broken >.> AFAIK, there are at least 3 different Video Encoders used: Conexant CX25871, Focus FS454, and Xcalibur. For more information in Xbox video encoders, click here. Emulating all three video encoders is only less than half the battle, the real problem is that BIOSes can be specifically tied to a specific encoder depending on it's version (don't quote me on this though). Like PS2, every Xbox model revision has a updated BIOS and has different expectations. This is a potential problem, but not exactly major.
>>
>>332497012
Basically, I'm trying to get this "Xbox should be easy to emulate because it's just like a PC" crap out of your heads. I'm sure that most of you will disagree with me on this, but for these reasons and more, on a low level, Xbox is harder to emulate than PS2.

^ The exception to that above is that the NV2A is much better documented now, but not fully. There's an open source library for the OpenXDK called pbKit. It interfaces directly with the hardware to fully expose it's potential. This is what Microsoft should have done all along (or at least wrote a low-level OpenGL implementation).
>>
>>332497073
blueshogun96's words
http://ngemu.com/threads/the-delay-of-the-cxbx-release.131884/
>>
>>332497208
Thanks forposting this anon, I've been trying to find that article forever and trying to explain why Xbox emulation is hard in my own words didn't work out so well.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.