[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a harder RTS to play than pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10
File: StarCraft2_SC2_Logo1.jpg (30 KB, 400x175) Image search: [Google]
StarCraft2_SC2_Logo1.jpg
30 KB, 400x175
Name a harder RTS to play than pic related
>>
Supreme Commander FA has a LOT more than micro.

But harder isn't always good.

Still SC2 is a very good game.
>>
>>332442371
Hard how?

The campaign is piss easy.
>>
>>332442675
>campaign
>>
>>332443136
So what, the multiplayer?

It's not hard to play at all. It's hard to master, sure.
>>
>>332443389
Let me guess, you are in Silver or maybe gold?
>>
>>332442564
Speaking of, can anyone help me figure out this annoying bug with Supcom FA? When I play skirmish games with the Alyx AI after a while my Engineers stop working properly. I tell them to do something and they instantly drop it. I noticed that they randomly move around doing nothing and recently even had a factory just straight up radonly build units that moved on their own. I am sure what is happeneing is the AI is somehow bleeding control onto my troops

So in short, can anyone help? I am on the final patch that was released for FA. I cannot use FA forever because the computer I installed it on has no nternet and the FA forever guys are assholes for not uploading the bugfix in a download.
>>
>>332443669
Used to be diamond in LotV. Get fucked nerd.

It's not a hard game at all. There is very little variation in builds and improving your macro can only go so far.

Micro is the only hard thing about SC2, and it's not the good kind of difficulty.
>>
Yeah, it's literally hard to play. You'll never get in a match because it's dead.
>>
dota 2
>>
>>332444185
you find 1v1 match in 4-5 seconds
>>
Any game with high RNG.

Doesn't matter how good you are if the game just decides it wants to skullfuck you.
>>
What is "difficult to play"? With SC2 having unlimited unit selection, worker AI and such like, it should go without saying that a great deal of RTS games, including Brood War which is a direct upgrade in this regard, are more demanding mechanically in order to be played effectively.

Single player campaign certainly isn't difficult so we could look at how strategically involved it is but it's actually simple. Of course, there are differences between players even at the highest levels of play, but then again, perfect play in rock-paper-scissors requires simulating the opponent's brain and I'd argue SC2 falls to the same category of games where decision-making is about getting small things exactly right rather than actual strategical decisions.

On occasion you can glimpse flashes of brilliance in pro games (for example, I remember this one game where NesTea playing zerg had a few lings out when his opponent executed a 4-gate and he held it off: unless it was an accidentally good play prompted by incomplete information, it displayed supreme understanding of what you can get away with through this completely unintuitive response to a threat) but SC2 tends to be about precise timings and educated guesses. Compare that to, say, move 78 in Lee Sedol vs AlphaGo game 4: I'm a complete novice in Go but even I can see his wedge move as completely unorthodox and understand its ramifications as the game played out: "strategy" by definition should be about that kind of broad strokes and general long-term plans and I think the RTS genre as a whole tends to fail at it (indeed, many of them are mostly tactical). Then again, to name better games, I find Brood War for example far more dynamic and interesting than SC2 is, and while they haven't been subjected to such rigorous experimentation at the hands of the professional scene, I believe games in the style of SupCom and Kohan would have had far more potential for strategical novelty.
>>
>>332442371
AOE3.
Tactics are more complex, and even mere base operations require more micro.
>>
>>332442371
Name a harder RTS to love.
>>
>>332444113
>times reached diamond once
>improving macro can only go so far
>only diamond once
>mean while koreans make the highest grandmasters in NA look like toddlers with soiled diapers
>macro can only go so far
>>
>>332445953
>With SC2 having unlimited unit selection
desu if your game's difficulty comes from having to do the same thing 5 times instead of once it can go fuck itself
>>
>>332442371
SC1
>>
>>332447665
Almost all of those top games are about micro you nigger.
>>
>>332447215
>age of empires

No. Not nearly as fast mechanically, not nearly as many unit variations. Not as many map variations. Youre wrong
>>
File: 05_3_thegoodorc03fixcolor.png (501 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
05_3_thegoodorc03fixcolor.png
501 KB, 600x800
>dat feel when amazing at micro, shitty at macro

I can micro just about any Terran unit at god-like skill, but I can never keep up with my macro. I'll always be focused on controlling my units, and won't build anything during battles

Also, fucking Platinum is a really annoying group to be in, because I'm always getting either noobs, or people with like 3x my APM
>>
>>332448046
Micro plays a huge part. Build orders have an equal amount of weight if not more. There are many ways players win, and if you think its only micro and top level players never out macro one another you're a dumb fuck
>>
>>332448069
>sc2
>more unit variations than aoe3.
Hilarious.
>>
>>332448449
I consider build orders a thing of its own, seperate from macro.

You can have godlike macro but if you have the 'wrong' build order against your opponent you will lose regardless.
>>
>>332448591
m8 the same unit copy and pasted with a different name isn't unit variety.
>>
>>332448219
I fucking love The Good Orc. I follow the artist on pixiv in the vain hope that he will release more chapters.
>>
>>332448823
Its a combination of those skills that win games. Players don't win outright with micro unless its a cheese build in the beginning of the game when micro is everything.
>>
>>332448219
>I can micro just about any Terran unit at god-like skill, but I can never keep up with my macro

anyone can you clown, its microing while macroing thats hard
>>
>>332442371
broodwars
>>
>>332448219
>tfw getting better at tankivac micro

So god damn satisfying.
>>
File: 07_5_5colored.png (714 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
07_5_5colored.png
714 KB, 600x800
>>332449073

Maybe in Diamond in above the average people can micro 24/7, but not in Plat
>>
>>332448873
Yeah, and that's why sc2 has less unit variety than aoe3.
>>
File: 1428551618660.gif (145 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1428551618660.gif
145 KB, 640x480
>>332442371
SC2 is shit. Broodwar is superior in every conceivable way.
>>
File: 1452536853059.jpg (2 MB, 1196x4924) Image search: [Google]
1452536853059.jpg
2 MB, 1196x4924
>>332449152

Fuuuuuuck anon, sieged tanks in medivacs are the best thing to happen to Terran since, well, ever

Also, in co-op, playing as Swann you can have 8 SIEGED tanks at once in the Hercules that can also do that warp jump thing.

I know, who gives a fuck about co-op, but shit, having 2 Hercules full of sieged tanks and 2 Hercules filled with blue-flame Hellbats jumping on top of an army and instantly unloading is enough to give me an orgasm
>>
>>332449289
Thought i was talking to someone who has played sc2. Maybe go back to the game that you can play with just a mouse
>>
>>332449508
haven't even played Lotv campaign yet
Been trying to get my marine tankivac skills up. Shame they were even considering removing it because of MUH MECH
>>
File: 1445224857626.gif (3 MB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
1445224857626.gif
3 MB, 384x288
>>332449406

Everyone knows that anon

Doesn't mean that SC2 is unplayable by any means though
>>
>>332449751
You already let on long ago that you don't play aoe3, so how was I supposed to respond seriously to your shit opinions?
>>
File: wario.jpg (51 KB, 300x245) Image search: [Google]
wario.jpg
51 KB, 300x245
>>332450095
>whoever fucked my wife, I shall fuck him in the ass
Well that's one way to solve getting NTR'd
That guy's a real human bean
>>
File: a ghost.png (4 KB, 267x130) Image search: [Google]
a ghost.png
4 KB, 267x130
>>332450095
But it does mean exactly that. The player base has been shrinking since SC2s inception for that very reason. How they fucked it up so badly I will never understand.
>>
>>332447681
I don't know what OP is talking about so I got that out of the way in the first paragraph, 1/5ths of the post. Clearly, I don't think that's the most important bit.
>>
>>332450572
I don't care about the rest of his post or what his actual point is desu
>>
File: carving a path.png (3 MB, 1920x1077) Image search: [Google]
carving a path.png
3 MB, 1920x1077
>implying Starcraft players can beat this
This isn't even the hardest level in Stronghold.
>>
>>332450871
FUCK this level, only one I had to play on easy
>>
Real life faggot
>>
>tfw blizzard will never rework protoss into a race not founded on shit mechanics and band-aid solutions to imbalance
>>
>>332449225
no, you micro when you can but you dont stop macroing just so you can kite 2 zerglings with your marine. This gets better over time

this guy is bragging about his micro skills when everyone can micro if they stop macroing
>>
>>332450871
>It's an attacking level

Might as well just cheat my way through. Those levels were easily the worst.
>>
Is Dune harder than Starcraft because you can only order one unit at a time?
>>
>>332442371
Brood War

It's better too.
>>
Broodwar

That was easy.
>>
SC1
>>
>>332443967
maybe you reached the unit limit, since buildings count in it.
you should consider to join Forged alliance forever, where this bug and many more are fixed
>>
File: 1383328773070.png (236 KB, 700x3500) Image search: [Google]
1383328773070.png
236 KB, 700x3500
>>332450441

But it wasn't fucked up so badly

Well, ok, it was fucked up at first.

And the campaign has ALWAYS been fucked up

But multiplayer drastically improved over the years to the point it's at now where things seem to be actually balanced (except for liberators; I'm a terran player and even I see how OP these things are, and Ravagers).

Co-op is actually fun in my opinion, though Blizzard going full Jew by charging for extra commanders is full retard

SC1 + Brood War will always be better than SC2. Maybe SC3 will be better than both, but times change anon. People will still be playing SC2 when SC3 comes out just like how BW is still being played now
>>
>>332454208
Didn't think about the unit limit. I might be able to fix this with some unit limit removal.

I would use forged alliance forever, but I would have to move my computer to another room and hook it up to the modem. Perhaps one of these days I will go through that trouble.

Thanks for the insight.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.