[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting Dark Souls for the first time. Never played a souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6
File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53 KB, 256x330) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53 KB, 256x330
Starting Dark Souls for the first time.
Never played a souls game before, any advice or helpful tips?
>>
Don't level resistance
>>
>>332430596
Don't read guides.
>>
>>332430596
shoot the dragons tail until it falls off
>>
Git gud.
>>
>>332430596
Kill the dogs first.
>>
Get master key as the gift
>>
>>332431804
Don't get master key as a gift!
>>
File: 1458474730621.jpg (53 KB, 599x591) Image search: [Google]
1458474730621.jpg
53 KB, 599x591
not the OP but I'm just starting too, difference is that I'm a Demon souls veteran. Don't really like the flask thing I rather have the herbs and the phantoms and blood stains don't look as interesting as in DeS, I'm about to kill the bull boss that jumps
>>
>>332430596
When you run into the hydra at the lake, charge into it.
>>
>>332430705
This.

Also don't get the master key, and get the hell off /v/ as quickly as possible.
>>
>>332432373
I could use some tips on demons souls.
>>
Don't level resistance, don't pick thief, don't pick the master key
>>
>>332432174
Well it depends, are you a masochist or not? I didn't get it my first couple play throughs, and blight town was some hard core shit, but I still enjoyed it. Now I always skip there.
>>
>>332430705
What stats would you reccomend focusing on?
>>
File: 1401829320270.jpg (284 KB, 746x800) Image search: [Google]
1401829320270.jpg
284 KB, 746x800
>>332430596
>>
>>332430596
Go slow
Every monster including trash mobs can kill you

Learn how to dupe
>>
File: witcher04.jpg (182 KB, 960x768) Image search: [Google]
witcher04.jpg
182 KB, 960x768
>>332430596
it might be hard to get into at first, but after a while you'll catch the hang of it. Don't level up resistance and every weapon is usefull. Use whatever u like the most.Have fun OP

kill the dogs first
>>
don't look up any guides other than stat guides because most stats are dogshit.
Dark Souls looses all of its fun once you know how to beat the boses and where everything is.
>>
LEAVE THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY
LEAVE THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY

souls games are best experienced fresh and learning things yourself during your first playthrough
>>
Start as pyromancer since unlike miracles and sorceries pyromancies aren't tied to stats so you can invest them in say, endurance or dexterity instead
>>
>>332432626
Get enough stats to use a weapon you like and put the rest into vitality and endurance

Damage doesn't really scale off of str and dex
>>
File: 1458143623007.jpg (63 KB, 493x353) Image search: [Google]
1458143623007.jpg
63 KB, 493x353
>>332432507
after you are done with te first boss, go to 2-1 and then if possible 2-2 and all the way to the final archdemon.

The first skeletons of 4-1 are good grind spots for rookies

1-2 to 1-4 and all the levels of world 5 are recommended for later in the game

Magic is good but not that good

Don't be afraid of cheesing hard enemies and sub-bosses with arrows

Multiplayer is kinda dead, be ready to solo-ing the entire games
>>
>>332430596
Don't go to the graveyard at the beginning of the game, come back after you beat O&S (you'll know who they are when you get to them)
>>
Endurance and health are always good.
Upgrading your weapons through the Smiths is better then increasing str/dex to do more damage.
Explore.
Blighttown isn't that bad just take it slow.
Learn to roll, and on that note fast rolling is better then a slow roll with lots of armour (generally).
>>
>>332430596
Jesus Christ that NA cover art is so fuckin bad. What is wrong with your country
>>
>>332432626
Build enough into vit and end until you're comfortable with it (you don't run out of stamina too quickly, you don't die too fast). Anywhere between 30 and 40 points should be enough on each if you want your character to be somewhat durable

The rest depends on your build. Str/dex or both depending on your weapon of choice, int if you go for sorceries, faith if you go for miracles. Focus on one over the others and don't spread too thin (unless you know what you're doing)

Also, dragon and lighting/fire/chaos infused weapons don't scale off your stats. So if you're gonna invest into offensive stats, you're better off improving your weapon on the normal path (up to +15) or going magic/enchanted for int, or divine/occult for faith
>>
lrn2roll

That's it. You've mastered the game.
>>
>>332432992
>Damage doesn't really scale off of str and dex
have you even played the game? yes it does
>>
Playing for the first time as well. Literally it's just git gud, this game isn't fucking hard. It took less than a day to ring the first bell clear the jungle including the hydra, and finish most of blight town.

If kids weren't so shit at the game it wouldn't have this stigma of being hard.
>>
>>332430596
Close the thread. Just fucking do it. It's best if you just try something, fuck it up, get mad af, come back and stomp that boss with ease.

I've been avoiding everything DS3 for almost a week now and I still have two more to go. Seriously stop.
>>
Don't level resistence
Avoid graveyard
Classes don't matter
Find a wepon you like and keep it, you can upgrade it to be OP
>>
>>332433228

That stigma came from game journalists, and Bamco decided to use it as the main marketing draw, hence all the kiddies, and prepare to durr edition.
>>
>>332432626
HP and endurance are top priority. Wouldn't go past 50
str or dex depending on which route you want. Don't go past 40
>>
>>332433135
I'm a bitfag, not NA
>>
>>332433461
Dex hybrid spellcasters can always go for 45 dex for that casting speed cap tho
>>
>>332431139
This
>>
get dsfix

laggy piece of shit garbage port
>>
OP here, Im a warrior with the ring that heals hp. Gonna take the 'don't look for tips, experience it for yourself advice' and see how I find it
>>
>>332433725
Maybe if you're running on a potato. The only time the game lagged for me at all was when Seath sprayed 1 trillion crystals everwhere
>>
>>332433786
>with the ring that heals hp

Already fucked up.
>>
>>332433786
The ring that heals hp is shit
>>
>>332433786
that ring is a scam, got me too my first time.
>>
>>332433786
DON'T GO TO THE GRAVEYARD
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (50 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
50 KB, 480x360
>>332430596
Fuck Gwyndolin's boi pussy
>>
>>332433985
Damn, it sounded good
>>
>>332433019
Is a str or dex build good for a good first play through?
>>
>>332430596
head to the graveyard first and get all the items, it's full of low level trash mobs that should be easy to deal with.
>>
>>332434229
Dex if you're after a weebshit katana build

Str if you're after a manly man's weapon build
>>
>>332430596
Yeah, don't ask for advice. I guess it's too late for that now, faggot.
>>
>>332430596
UPGRADE YOUR FUCKING GEAR
Equipment>>>>stats
>>
>>332434443
Thanks
>>
>>332434229
yeah it's, just dont be afraid of a little diversity, 4 example one of my favorite weapons requires 26 str and like 16 of faith so I farmed for faith for a while.
>>
>>332430596
tougher opponents in early areas often give at least mediocre rewards
>>
>>332434457
It's cool, I only glanced at enough to know not to level resistance and that my ring is shit
>>
>>332434874
Seriously though, avoid the graveyard until later in the game
>>
>>332434775
I heard that there was a sword that uses luck. Is it worth pumping luck for it?
>>
>>332435004
Pretty sure the blueblood sword is more of a gimmick build. Powerful but still gimmicky.
>>
>>332430596
All you need to know is git gud
>>
>>332435004
on your first game? no way unless you really want that sword, the thing with luck is that you get more drops but they are usually garbage (slave shields)and u don't need to level luck to get herbs , the initial stat will do.
>>
So I know /v/ doesn't have the highest opinion on Dark Souls 2 but what's better, Dark Souls or Blood Bourne?
>>
>>332435512
DaS > SotFS > BB > vanilla DaS2

Haven't played 3 yet
>>
>>332433786
>ring that heals hp
Exactly according to keikaku.
>>
>>332435583
or DeS
>>
So um... you know that kick move?

Does anybody actually ever use that useless shit? It's way too easy to accidentally do it, it's inclusion isn't worth it at all
>>
Don't go through the graveyard straight away
and don't go to the flooded place straight away
you can if you want, but you really don't want to

oh, and learn to parry as soon as you can
>>
>>332435512
I prefer Bloodborne, personally.
>>
>>332435839
It's practically required to knock enemies off of certain thin bridge areas
>>
>>332430596
>get a shield
>learn to roll
>wait for openings

Game over.
>>
>>332435839
it's essential for breaking guards
if they won't put their shield down, give them a kick then swing
>>
>>332435839
It's useful for gravity.
>>
>>332435839
It's for guardbreaking, anon
If an enemy won't budge from shield you kick em
Players included

It becomes easy after a while
>>
>>332430596

Once you get to the bridge, run.

Not that way though.
>>
>>332435583
There is barely any difference between SOTFS and vanilla you memester faggot. A couple NPC invasions and like 2 better areas changed your opinion from "wurst gaem evur"? Really?

SOTFS is hilarious because it gave parrot cunts like you who eventually got tired of playing Circle Strafe: The Game, a chance to backpedal.
>>
Not OP but I'm a Tanky Motherfucker with a Halberd and Knight Shield and Quelaag keeps fucking me with that AOE attack

what do?
>>
>>332436250
Back away from her when she's doing the drawn out and telegraphed aoe attack.
>>
>>332436125
>A couple NPC invasions and like 2 better areas changed your opinion from "wurst gaem evur"?
I liked the game and think they're all good, anon.
Also I wasn't including any of the DLC when I said 'vanilla' DaS2
>>
>>332436250
Look for the tell when she does it and back off.
>>
>>332436250
>Watch Quelaag
>Roll if she's going to hit you
>Wait until she definitely cannot hurt you
>hurt her
>repeat

Why are you getting hit? If you see an attack going out, get out of there. If you know an attack won't hit you, you have a window to deal damage. Try to bait attacks that are easy to avoid.
>>
Curb your enthusiasms because regardless of what memelords keep repeating on this board it is not the best one in the series and fucking plummets in quality 2/3rds of the way before it's done.
>>
>>332430596

Don't focus on min/maxing on your first playthrough.

Health and endurance are important but dont level those further than 40 it caps there.

Get enough level to try a weapon you like. DEX or STR, once you figure it out, level only the stat which scales the best for that weapon.

Don't level resistance.

Defense is not really that useful in this game, so you may want to get your equipment weight under 25% to fast roll and dodge better.
However there's a stat called poise which will give you some resistance to stagger and stunlock if it's 76 or above but you will need a really heavy armor or equip the wolf ring.

And don't kill npc's unless you are very sure. The game autosaves with every action you make.
>>
>>332436362
>Also I wasn't including any of the DLC when I said 'vanilla' DaS2

Why? Because they are there and are in fact exactly the same.
>>
>>332436250
When she lays down get the fuck outta there, its all about warching her behaviour

There's also an npc you can summon outside her boss fog
>>
I'm downloading DS3 right now. 78%. Any helpful tips?
>>
>>332436654
Do you understand what Vanilla means?
>>
>>332430596
as soon as u get to the bonfire where the crow leaves u keep running to ur left into the graveyard.
>>
>>332436250
It's about time you learn that evading an attack (not necessarily by roll dodging, just getting out of range) > blocking or tanking

Get away from her when she does that shit
>>
>>332433019
>Doing 2-2 that early

Nigga Flamefucker is gonna rape his ass if he is not a mage.
>>
>>332430596
Humanity is good so don't waste it. If you get some from enemies turning human is usually a good move, then explore areas you haven't killed the boss in. You might notice things you didn't before...
>>
>>332436756
Do you separate" Dark Souls 1" and "Dark Souls 1: Le Prepare to Die Edition XD" as well? Then why are you doing it for 2?
>>
>>332430596
Be patient.This aint one of your shoot bangs, you gotta bide your time and analyze your surroundings and enemies movements.
>>
>>332437080
>why are you doing it
All I did was question your reading comprehension. /v/ isn't two people. The poster clearly made a point by putting "Vanilla" in DS2 and having SOTFS as its own. You didn't pick up on this.
>>
>>332436250
I tanked the game and it wasn't so hard

Make sure to level up your equipment though and play smart, you're gonna take damage so you'll want your equipment to hold.

Also, kill havel the rock if you haven't already, his drops help immensely and make sure to level up stamina
>>
>>332430596
Prioritize leveling equipment over stats.
Like some have said, scaling isn't that great, so just get enough STR or DEX to use the weapon you want, and pump END or VIT.

Also weapon movesets are important.

If you find a really good moveset, level that weapon.

Don't get cursed by the frogs.
When you see meters on your screen, back the fuck away.
>>
>>332430596
>be a pyro
Makrs gamr easymode minus one shitty area.
>>
>>332430596
Oh christ, if you do anything we've said, listen to this guy.>>332437663
Those frogs are a fucking nightmare if you don't expect it!
>>
don't know why people say to not read guides, without reading guides the game is torturous and frustrating.

like most noobs i headed straight for the bottom of firelink shrine because i couldn't find a way up. Then i got mad and just decided to play the game solely by using guides and I had great time

The trial and error thing is a god damn meme, its like telling someone to bash their head into a door until they accidentally hit an invisible button that opens it
>>
>>332435004
I did bbs. It's my weaponfu.
>>
>>332438139
Your problem could've been solved by not being fucking retarded

>There are actually two bells of the undead, one up above in the undead church
>only path in sight goes up
>>
>>332436842
you can cheese him with arrows on that spot
>>
Just curious why no one ever uses axes? I did and it was the best decision of my life. The iron golem axe was the greatest thing I've ever seen! The fucker worked in every situation!
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.