[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened to motion controls?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: wiimote.jpg (6 KB, 292x289) Image search: [Google]
wiimote.jpg
6 KB, 292x289
What happened to motion controls?
>>
>>332426516
It sucked.
>>
>>332426516
Replaced by kinect, what's it like being in a coma?
>>
>>332426516
They're actually being brought back, at least for PS VR
>>
>>332426516

Remember how fucking cool this shit was in 2006?

Then the novelty wore off and you were stuck with a controller with shit layout, a shitty gyroscope that every game used, and a shitty battery life.
>>
everyone ran out of ideas; whether because of 'shake the controller to move faster' or because the entire video gameindustry is creatively bankrupt is up to you

and mark my words: the exact same thing will happen to VR
>>
People have moved on to the next big gimmick, VR

Only difference is VR doesn't make gameplay better.
>>
They dead nigga
>>
>>332426516
they were shit
>>
File: 1459106720369.png (52 KB, 203x209) Image search: [Google]
1459106720369.png
52 KB, 203x209
>>332426782
>replaced
>>
>>332426516
The same thing that will happen to VR.
>>
>>332426516
>>332426993
>>332427287
>>332427669
They were kept as a staple in the industry despite the fact that only Nintendo seemed to work out how to use them well, and even they fuck it up often.
>>
>>332426516

Well, we still have gyroscope aiming with the Wii U. I know the PS4 controller has something similar, where you can at least type things by pointing the controller.

I'm not sad to see flicking/swinging the controller gone, but I'm glad that aiming/pointing the controller stuck around.
>>
i mean the whole thing with VR seems to be 'here's a cool thing, go make something that uses it': and that's putting the cart before the horse. a solution to a problem that didn't exist.

nintendo's problem was 'how do we make it easier for non-core-gamers to play our games', and their solution was to make it so what you do with your hands more or less happens on screen

whereas vive, oculus or any of that shit doesn't have a similar problem and solution. there's no definition or scope to the projects at all
>>
this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIFSt0YSDls
>>
>tfw using my Wii right now to play Pandora's Tower on my bulky CRT Trinitron

pure comfiness
>>
>>332427957
>go make something that uses it
This, why would abanoned a larger player base to appease the 5-10% of people that will have the VR equipment. It just doesn't make sense if you are a developer.

The same problem nintendo consoles have right now, can't get developers unless you have a player base, can't get a player base if you don't have the games.
>>
>>332426516
Very few games made use of them. Even after Sony released their imitation, Nintendo was the only one still really supporting it, barely. The way I look at it, with the current market conditions we're lucky we got to see it implemented at all.
>>
File: spicman.com.jpg (8 KB, 274x200) Image search: [Google]
spicman.com.jpg
8 KB, 274x200
>>332426516
i guess it wriggled out
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.