[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the symbolism behind this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13
File: latest.jpg (106 KB, 640x375) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
106 KB, 640x375
What was the symbolism behind this?
>>
File: SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png (2 MB, 1300x3453) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png
2 MB, 1300x3453
>>332425974
It'd take quite some time to explain all the fancy details around Metatron and the use of the seal in the games, so just check out this wiki:
http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Seal_of_Metatron

tl;dr: Mixture of old Jewish elements and fictional material.

Anyway, Silent Hill thread? SH thread!
Starting with the obligatory SH PC Guide + DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

And in case someone's once again new to this PC gaming stuff: Use a program like DaemonTools Lite to mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
>>
>>332427114
>Mixture of old Jewish elements

I KNEW IT!
>>
>>332427195
the cult in SH is just bunch of Christians that have adopted the old pagan elements of the local natives, so obviously there's going to be also jewish references.

too lazy to go that deep into this now, so just go watch the TwinPerfect's TRSHE extra videos.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (127 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
127 KB, 1920x1080
>>332427608
Which is your favorite SH game?

Looks like /v/ doesn't like these games.
>>
File: sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg (463 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg
463 KB, 1920x1080
>>332427956
Silent Hill 1.
I just find it to have the perfect mix and balance of terror and mindfuck. Symbolism ain't forgotten either, and it's actually pretty damn spooky game too.

I wouldn't say /v/ doesn't like SH; we've had dozens of very long SH threads in the past couple weeks, pretty much daily as well. There's just not much to talk about anymore, unless you happen to attract lots of newbies who don't know these games by heart yet.
>>
>>332428251
It's just something about old graphics that makes it spooky for me. It's rusty and grim, or something like that.
>>
File: sh1 PlayboyDesk.png (1 MB, 1722x1041) Image search: [Google]
sh1 PlayboyDesk.png
1 MB, 1722x1041
>>332428530
True that.
There's been some discussion about this matter in the past. The overall conclusion was this idea that these low-res, low-detail visuals leave more "gaps" for your brain to fill, resulting your imagination going wild and thus providing stronger immersion. As you can't quite make out what's lumping towards your character, you start forming theories and ideas, trying to explain what you're witnessing.

That being said, SH1 also has a damn great art-design. There's tons of fine details and objects, everywhere, which is just insane knowing the super-tight limitations of the system. I've seen some screenshots taken with camera-hacks, showing areas you wouldn't otherwise get into, often full of details you would not usually wouldn't see. This table alone probably has more polys and textures than several characters in some 1st gen PS1 games.

Like Guy Cihi himself said, Team Silent were total detail-maniacs, and typical Japanese workaholics as well. They didn't want to make things "just OK", they really wanted to achieve the very best there is. Akira Yamaoka's music and sound effects crown the whole experience.
>>
someone post the circumcision conspiracy theorist
>>
>>332429730
>The overall conclusion was this idea that these low-res, low-detail visuals leave more "gaps" for your brain to fill, resulting your imagination going wild and thus providing stronger immersion.

I've felt this way about many older games in the past. Even when I was younger. Take Pokemon for example. I enjoyed the older graphics much better. The 3D to me looks very awful. Especially because it seems that the N64 does 3D better than the modern handheld games do.

I remember seeing anons talking about that in regard to SH1. I think it's more in combination of the fact of how dark and creepy the environments are to.
>>
>>332427956
SH1 because it was the spookiest and the camera never fucked with me unlike the sequels. The music was scary as fuck. I still don't get why Lisa had to suffer.
>>
>>332430694
>I still don't get why Lisa had to suffer.

Wasn't she a demon/monster like the others just a bit different?
>>
>jewish elements
you mean khaballa (sp...) /x/ can probably help with that.
>>
>>332429730
Shame about the gameplay
>>
File: sh1 emulated HD 02 storage.jpg (319 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
sh1 emulated HD 02 storage.jpg
319 KB, 1280x960
>>332430451
I get what you mean.
With these "primitive" 3D graphics, you had to use all your artistic and technical knowledge to create working visual assets. At the same time, you kinda had play along, like think "this here's a car. That box there's a computer", etc. Meanwhile, with modern, high resolution and detail graphics, your mind tends to automatically go "yes, that IS a car, and that's clearly a computer", yet if the visual quality isn't up on par with rest of the style / modern standards, your head easily starts to nag "...but why does it look THAT bad?".

>>332430694
>I still don't get why Lisa had to suffer.
Spoiler section:
She was killed by Kauffman long ago before the game started. The Lisa you see is just Alessa's psychic recreation, the nice and gentle Lisa that used to take care of her. When Alessa was taken down with Flauros and the demon spawn inside her grew stronger, the last string keeping the neo-Lisa "alive" and intelligent started fading, resulting this shambling monster.
>>
File: latest.jpg (521 KB, 1503x907) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
521 KB, 1503x907
>>332432038
Gameplay is good. It's just more clunky then the sequels.
>>
>>332425974
Pizza
>>
>>332432226
Gameplay in Silent Hill games is complete and utter shit, bossfights are horrible and most puzzles are also shit. It's for this reason they thought the west could do this games as well.
>>
>mfw post here
>clickjack detected
>source: google

for what purpose?! nice try nsa.
>>
>>332430694
SH1 opening still gives me the heeby jeebies
>>
File: SH1 - Lizard boss - open maw.gif (818 KB, 247x189) Image search: [Google]
SH1 - Lizard boss - open maw.gif
818 KB, 247x189
>>332432408
>>332432038
>gameplay is complete and utter shit
stopped reading right there.

seriously, some literal 12 year old girls could play these games, no problems. The bossfights are hit and miss, I give you that, but they're not really the main point anyway.

Puzzles are easily the cream of the series and survival-horror.
>>
>>332432131
While I do agree with you guys about Silent Hill 1, my favorite is still 2. For me it goes

2 > 3 > 1 > 4

I would rank 1-3 very close to each other with 4 maybe a notch or two below. Pros for 1 is it's probably the scariest one of the four, has the scariest music, has a better story then 2 and 3. Maybe even better than 4. Only cons really to me is that the game isn't as tight to play as the later games. I definitely do enjoy the better graphics of 2-4 honestly. This series really could have benefited from the graphics of today but sadly it's a shell of it's former self.

All SH games to me have their pros and cons compared to one another.
>>
>>332431641
Lisa was meant to turn into a monster like all the other nurses you see in the hospital, but since she was Alessa's caretaker, she was spared since Alessa is the one who manufactured the nightmare world, so when Dahlia captures Alessa and her power is weakened, Lisa starts to die.
>>
>>332432131
>spoiler section
Wow I never got that impression. I've always assumed the drugs Kauffman was spreading turned people into monsters and Lisa started taking them because she just couldn't deal with her situation anymore in the VHS tape.
>>
>>332432408
There is more to a game then straight up gameplay. For these games the gameplay is weird in that if it were done anywhere else it would be bad. For SH it works great though. Sure there is room for improvement. It still good gameplay though.

It's hard to put into words without sounding like a fanboy. Everything surrounding the game is done so well that it improves the gameplay if that makes sense. If the game weren't so immersive then the gameplay would be a much bigger issue.
>>
1=2=3>4
Prove me wrong
>>
>>332433431
yeah, it's really not that simple.
SH1-3 all work the same way. Just the point of view and "source" of things change.

If you've played the SH1-4 already, preferably multiple times, reading and watching the lore analysis materials on them can be very fascinating stuff. I know people on /v/ tend to hate TwinPerfect, but they really did their homework when making their videos, and I could recommend checking out their TRSHE series at some point.
>>
>>332433548
1=3>2>4
2 has some pretty shitty moments and too much running around doing nothing. Also I think it has the worst camera in the series.
>>
>>332433746
2 has my favorite moments in the series which is part of the reason it's my favorite of the series. Unlike most people I actually think the story is perhaps the weakest of the series. The build up however is good all through out.
>>
>>332433746
>the worst camera in the series.
How come?
Is not the same in 3?
>>
>>332433740
>SH1-3 all work the same way.
Even 4 is basically the same. But instead of the hatred of the world (Alessa) and self-hatred (James), it's desire meet and become one with mother (Walter) that gave birth to the other world.
>>
>>332435425
It's the areas you're in plus the way the camera moves. It's bothering me the most in SH2 right now. I'm currently replaying the series and the camera is such a hassle to move. I need to quickly turn the camera because I'm being attacked from both sides in a narrow halfway and the camera is fucking struggling to rotate while I'm getting hit by something I can't see. It always seems to point the camera at James at all fucking times. I need to see the fucking monster to dodge it then turn a corner but this fucking camera is always looking away from the danger and takes too long to adjust. I played 3 before this one and didn't have this problem as often. 1 never had a camera problem which is pretty cool. I can always see the danger and adjust it accordingly.
>>
>>332437128
just turn off the lamp, and you're almost invisible to most enemies.
>>
WAIT
>>
>>332432763
It's a well known fact that Team Silent wanted to copy Resident Evil but they didn't have a gameplay designer of Mikami's level so they went for clunky avoidance. It's what western games do when they cannot design a game right, they go for the atmosphere meme.
>>
>>332438991
Bruh, James shoots than better than Chris in REmake. A civilian shooting better than a special forces cop.

Did you start playing games when RE4 came out for PS2 or something?
>>
>>332438991
Huh?
It's almost identical the way you control them
At least RE1 and SH1
>>
>>332438225
This

It's how I normally playthrough the games. Lights on lights off.
>>
>>332438991
>SH
> clunky
>>
>>332429730
I don't buy it. While I feel that SH1 is the best overall, SH2 and 3 were both far from being bad looking games at the time, and 3, in my opinion, is the scariest in the visuals department. It's the way that Team Silent made all aspects of the game work together; sound design, claustrophobia induced through fog and tight indoors environments, music, confronting visuals etc. and made a solid mix of haunting atmosphere and horrifying designs. Plus, the whole effect of not being able to tell what you're looking at can be achieved with good visuals just through the visual design, and was all the more convincing when merged with the realistic visuals in 3.
I feel like chalking this all up to "the visuals being low detail and leaving more to the imagination" rather than just giving Team Silent the credit where it's due for consistently pulling off the absolute best with the tech available at the time is just paving the way for the crappy, low-fi indie horror trend that takes that idea and runs with it. If you need any evidence that "Low-fi is scarier" is probably not true, try playing any of that shit: not being able to tell what you're looking at is their whole gimmick and it does nothing for them.
>>
>>332440245
I never found turning the lights off any useful
They seem to notice me anyway
>>
>>332425974
Whenever I have a problem with either two or three I google it and HD Collection shit comes up and PC shit does too.

What about a man having issues with his ps2 copy? where's my help
>>
Finished my yearly beating of silent Hill 2 the other day. always go In Water
>>
>>332442446
If you are next to them they will still be able to find you. Just experiment yourself. You will notice a difference. The movie even did a scene where the woman did exactly that so that the nurses wouldn't see her.
>>
>>332443584
I've been thinking for a while
Does the radio atract them too?
Maybe im just getting too close
>>
>>332438991
If your gonna shit-post you could at least have the decency to do it well.
>>
>>332442679
Seriously, everything goes back after the warning, with heather beating a split head and the queer old Konami logo.

I'd buy an other copy but I'm afafird it will do the same
>>
>>332442412
Indie developers are absolute garbage. That can answer just about most problems you may find with all types of indie games. They are wannabe professionals. Very few of them can actually turn out anything decent.

Even modern AAA devs are still better then most indie devs by miles.
>>
>>332443369
>In Water
I always felt it being a bad end. The whole thing is about redemption and in Water feels like giving up.

I personally like the resurrection ending best. Although I think leave ending is best
>>
>>332443806
>Does the radio atract them too?

I don't believe so. I've tried having no radio but the radio adds a whole lot more then you realize. In fact it even matches up with the music sometimes.

So I almost always did flashlight off to avoid enemies. Never bothered really turning off the radio because I feel you lose out a lot with it off. Like I said, just don't be right next to the enemy. Also walking by them but distanced probably helps.
>>
>>332444435
Thanks
I have to replay the series, i'm just beatiing Clock Tower 3 and Forbidden Siren first
>>
>>332444852
Yeah now that I mentioned it some enemies are very quiet if you have no radio. Like the mannequins in 2. So unless you memorize enemy placements you can get surprise attacked.
>>
File: 1383710088742.gif (918 KB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
1383710088742.gif
918 KB, 250x141
>>332425974
It's the Seal of Metatron. In the hands of a potent psychic it's a powerful tool for warding off evil.
>>
>>332442412
There has never been any "low-fi indie game" in the style of Silent Hill 1. I would kill for a sequel running on the same technology.
>>
>>332444435
I think no radio is scary as fuck. I almost jolt out of my chair every time I run into an enemy I'm not expecting. Recommended.
>>
>>332446330
It can get pretty tense outside in town
I remember a few times where the radio started to make noise but i couldn't see a enemy anywhere
Needless to say, i got spooked
>>
File: SH1 -Darkie.jpg (369 KB, 2540x1429) Image search: [Google]
SH1 -Darkie.jpg
369 KB, 2540x1429
re-visiting the Old SH area when the darkness falls is some atmospheric, spooky shit!
>>
>>332447726
Where's the second from the left, middle row screen taken from?
>>
File: sh1 - authentic looks, dither.png (197 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sh1 - authentic looks, dither.png
197 KB, 640x480
>>332448180
the convenience store at the north-end of the Old SH.
>>
>>332433740
What's wrong with TwinPerfect?
>>
>>332448821
I've played through SH1 twice in the past year and can't remember ever going in there.
>>
>>332449254
nothing in my opinion, but boy do some Anons get a serious case of buttmad-attack when their name is even mentioned.

I admit that even I don't always like their over-acted attitude, and don't always agree on every single detail, but overall though, they got an impressive info-package uploaded on YT, and clearly have done their homework.

Their review of SH HD Collection and Downpoor are some pure comedy gold.
>>
File: sh1 epsxe wide 03 - school bus.jpg (108 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sh1 epsxe wide 03 - school bus.jpg
108 KB, 1280x720
>>332449427
Figures. People tend to not know how many places you can actually get into in SH1. The School bus in front of the elementary school is one such location, few people know about Harry's car in the very northern edge of the old SH (has HP drinks), and some even apparently never visited the Cop station in the New SH area.

FYI, the left-most shot in the middle is the entrance to the shop.
>>
>>332449845
I didn't know about the cop station up until my most recent playthrough, either, but I went around humping every painted on door in that playthrough and still managed to miss the convenience store somehow.
>>
>>332449845
>never visited the Cop station
I remember visiting it but i think there's nothing important there is it?
>>
File: Sh1 copstation.jpg (17 KB, 640x440) Image search: [Google]
Sh1 copstation.jpg
17 KB, 640x440
>>332450157
plenty of ammo (on two different occasions as well), and couple notes related to the town's drug problem and drama around it.
You need to examine those to get Harry to make the connection between Kauffman and the drug-trafficing during the Motel scene, but it's not obligatory for anything else, and just changes what Harry comments when he storms off with the bottle.
>>
>>332449493
I liked that part with the wind chimes in 2.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.