[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Times /v/ tricked you into playing bad games >/v/ tells
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: spec ops.jpg (57 KB, 300x367) Image search: [Google]
spec ops.jpg
57 KB, 300x367
ITT: Times /v/ tricked you into playing bad games

>/v/ tells me Spec Ops The Line is a serious deconstruction of war games that tells an interesting story about war
>The main character is played by Nolan North

Into the trash it goes. If you want me to take your shitty deconstructionist war game seriously, hire a real actor next time.
>>
>>332425858
I thought Nolan North did a good job.
>>
How do you keep tricking me into replying to your same exact thread everyday? Dammit!
>>
>>332426321
You must have low standards for acting then

Might I recommend you The Room?
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 200x200
>>332425858
It's a pretty good game, you're just a faggot, stick to playing your shitty miku vocoloid trash autist
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 250x257) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 250x257
>>332425858
>game is bad
>because of voice actor

Kill yourself you degenerate crack head
>>
i've always said this game is pretty shitty.
anyone who likes it is prententious and possibly retarded
>>
>>332426650
>degenerate crack head

Why would he be a crack head?
>>
>>332426493
He's better than most movie actors nowadays. Have you played Uncharted? The guy's charming as fuck. But this game surprised me, just showed he can play a dramatic role well enough too.
>>
>>332425858
It's just yet another meta plot that boils down to "games are not real life" and all the spergs blink and go "woahhhhhhhh, really?" Just like BioShock infinite.
>>
>>332426771
I assume the people amazed by it have never read beyond YA trash so the most simple concepts are new to them.
>>
>>332425858
Its not very good at deconstructing the war game either since it IS a generic cover shooter.
>>
File: 1454014804639.jpg (57 KB, 476x426) Image search: [Google]
1454014804639.jpg
57 KB, 476x426
This place shilled gone home so hard it made my anus bleed.
>>
>>332427179
"B-b-but that's the point bro."

It's like Serious Sam 3 mocking modern shooters by making the first third BE a shitty modern shooter.

"Ha"
>>
>>332426771
Did you every consider that you might be the pretentious one? I don't consider this game high art but I like what it did with the story and how it presented it, gameplay was also tight but I like cover based shooters so it's my preference. Your type are always the ones coming in here and posting about Apocalypse Now and Heart of Darkness. Ok, you watched a movie and read a book. I guess that makes you a genius then.
>>
I enjoyed, a lot of the scenes were really cool and well done. One that comes to mind is the flashing light mannequin room
Helicopter scene repeating was also neat
>>
>>332427264
Yeah, no. Gone Home was torn apart for being an hour long walking simulator only getting praise for its lez story. Life is Strange is what really got shilled on here.
>>
>>332427319
>gameplay was also tight
stopped reading right there.
spic ops over the border is the most bland shooter i've ever played.
not long after i finished it i went over to binary domain which was a bliss to play
>>
>>332427289
Series Sam stops being a shitty modern shooter within minutes, This never stops, becoming more and more CoD clone as the game goes on when it gave vibes very similar to R6 Vegas
>>
>>332427319
The HoD trope is overdone.

It's plebs who don't know better being amazed then acting pretentious because they think they've chanced onto something special that others don't know about that are the cancer.
>>
>>332425858
>-SCENARIO-
>"Spec Ops: The Line" is a third-person exercise in ludonarrative dissonance - which is to say, a third-person regen-health cover shooter - created by Yager Development and 2K Games. It attempts to "subvert" the "tropes" found in existing regen-health cover shooters despite those games almost all attempting to do the same thing, resulting in a round robin tournament finale where the loser will be declared the boring straight man that all the others are making fun of (spoiler: It's Medal of Honor).

>One of the most notable and cited scenes of "Spec Ops: The Line" is the White Phosphorous scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-b7TaLjdXMc
>>
>>332426538
>saying that while posting weebshit
>>
>>332427536
>This scene depicts a scenario in which the protagonist, while burning enemies alive to death with 84mm incendiary rounds fired from a mortar, accidentally (air quotes) kills some civilians. The player is shocked and surprised to learn that they have killed civilians despite the civilians in question being visibly unarmed and not engaged in combat. From this, gamers learned several valuable lessons. Well, one valuable lesson.

>1) Sometimes when you are shooting at people, the people are civilians and shooting them is bad.

>One might assume that the basic concept of not shooting unarmed people would be simple enough, but apparently Spec Ops: The Line was a daring piece for breaching this otherwise untouched subject. Perhaps in the future of gaming we can potentially address even more controversial subjects, like "White Phosphorous is technically banned by the Geneva Convention anyways" and "soldiers are actually people so maybe don't kill them all either, especially if they surrender or something".
>>
>>332425858
I love how /v/ shits on the uncharted games but then turns around and loves spec ops just cause its on PC
>>
>>332427461
I enjoyed both. One's a military shooter the others a sci-fi shooter. If can only like one and not the other that's your problem pal, man it feels good to have fun playing any well designed game.
>>
>>332427623
>-ALTERNATIVES-
>While many gamers are still reeling from this incredible revelation, it's worth discussing the ways in which other games have discussed similar subject matter with a bit more aplomb.

>Call of Duty 4, one of the games that Spec Ops is supposedly subverting, makes it very clear in its equivalent gameplay segment that civilians are not to be targeted. While it could easily be possible to make commentary on the joy that the player is meant to feel by exploding hundreds of enemy soldiers from an invulnerable gunship a mile in the sky, Spec Ops declines to challenge this aspect but instead focuses on the fact that you might be killing civilians. In CoD4, the few civilians in this segment are noted by the fact that they are neither carrying nor shooting weapons, a nuance that apparently escaped Spec Ops' target audience.

>Full Spectrum Warrior is a tactics-based game where the player commands one squad composed of two US Army fire teams. In this game, the player does not directly control the soldiers' guns, but rather assigns zones of engagement. The civilians in this game exist in normal gameplay, and unless the player is quick to stop them, soldiers may engage enemies when civilians are in the way. This kills the civilian. Going by the testimony of actual US military personnel, this is far closer to the reality of civilian death in war than Spec Ops' scenario.
>>
>>332427663
I love how OP is tired copypasta but never fails to get people worked up.
>>
>>332427794
>ARMA 2 devises similar scenarios - civilians inhabit towns during regular gameplay, and will often be caught up in battles between factions. The high usage of explosives and artillery in this game makes an even more direct statement than FSW, as entire areas will sometimes be targeted for artillery or mortar attacks by individuals incapable of judging the presence of civilians. Contrasted against the direct thermal visuals of Spec Ops' scenario, it's much more reflective of the haze of war. This is compounded by the multiplayer mode in which one side consists of guerillas posing as civilians, a scenario much more in line with the reality of the insurgency in Iraq.

>Metal Gear Solid and Rainbow Six even go so far as to say that maybe even killing hostile soldiers is bad - MGS offers non-lethal alternatives such as tranq darts or stealthy avoidance, while Rainbow Six sees some enemies surrendering and offering themselves up for capture.While simplistic, these measures humanize enemies and make the choice of killing or not killing them more meaningful, whereas the always-hostile, always-angry enemies of Spec Ops and similar shooters cannot really be treated like humans from a moral standpoint.

>-CONCLUSION-
>Killing is wrong and bad. This is a lesson that gamers actually had trouble learning and needed help to internalize. Despite this, they seem to still think of themselves as being intellectuals. This is itself a mystery.
>>
>>332425858
Put yourself in the trash. Seriously I eye rolled when I heard Nathan Drake but the game was so engrossing that you get used to it super fast.
>>
>>332427946
Too bad Nolan North is far from the only thing about it that feels generic
>>
>>332429392
You feel generic
>>
>>332429614
I dont know about that, I feel I have a interesting combination of mental disorders that separate me from the norm
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.