[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust really has settled, can we talk about how this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15
File: mgs.jpg (277 KB, 1400x764) Image search: [Google]
mgs.jpg
277 KB, 1400x764
Now that the dust really has settled, can we talk about how this game is not only a disgrace to the series story wise, but also not all that great in terms of gameplay.
>>
Okay, I agree.

What do we talk about now though?
>>
I never really liked how there wasn't any clear indication of how well you were hidden from enemies' sight.
I mean, you eventually get a feel for it, but I miss things like the camo index.
>>
I just wish the game had open levels Hitman wise.

What't the good of open world if nothing good ever happens in it?
>>
Yeah, everyone fucking says:

>Durr the story was bad, but the gameplay was good!

The game is horrible because:

>CONTA-
>Everyone instantly knows where you are.

Metal Gear Solid 2 did it better literally 14 years ago.
>>
File: 1305471066735.jpg (14 KB, 217x119) Image search: [Google]
1305471066735.jpg
14 KB, 217x119
>>332425293
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc0EzLc7NZg
>>
why do you we keep having these threads, just to suffer?
>>
File: image.jpg (84 KB, 640x644) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84 KB, 640x644
>>332425293
I can't decide my clansmen, I love it and hate please touch my wiener anon please!
>>
>>332426035
Radio alert message could've been a little longer
>>
File: 1459189691199.jpg (46 KB, 424x505) Image search: [Google]
1459189691199.jpg
46 KB, 424x505
>>332426147
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxRdLzCeglo
>>
File: 1452235299299.jpg (19 KB, 426x333) Image search: [Google]
1452235299299.jpg
19 KB, 426x333
I still wonder how MGSV would've been if open world wasn't a meme with devs right now. Maybe without all the shitty drop zones and copypasta side missions there would've been more room for an actual plot? Who knows.

Either way, it was a travesty to make a metal gear game with almost zero actual infiltration. At best you take out / evade like 3 guards on your way to fulton whatever the mission target is.
>>
File: 1434073772821.gif (340 KB, 500x655) Image search: [Google]
1434073772821.gif
340 KB, 500x655
Gameplay: 8.5/10
Story: 5/10
Atmosphere: 9/10
Soundtrack: 9/10
Visuals: 8.5/10
>>
>>332426219
Or exist at all, you fucking faggot. Here is what's wrong:

>MGS2, you get spotted.
>Guy takes like 10 seconds to run away and call an alert before everyone else knows where you are.

>MGS5, you get spotted.
>Reflex mode kicks in, the game gives you 10 seconds to shoot the guy before an alert is called in.

Except reflex mode is fucking so overpowered you can sprint around, and if you have auto aim on, hit left trigger to instantly target someone and shoot them.
>>
The only good thing about this game was the trailers and the hype before the realese, thats it.
>>
File: Wii U Master Race.jpg (11 KB, 261x146) Image search: [Google]
Wii U Master Race.jpg
11 KB, 261x146
>MGSIV will make the PS3 worth owning, guys!
>PS3 goes it's entire life cycle without a single good game
>MGSV will be great, now that Kojima has more freedom with what he's going to do with it!
>It's an absolute disaster.

It's time to admit that Metal Gear ended with 3, anons.
>>
>>332426486
pretty much, he really should've just made a movie
>>
>>332426486
It was going to be THE GREATEST GAME EVER MADE. They had SO much time and money to make it, but, it is the same game as it was in that first trailer, even down to the same map. They had three years to build off of that base and did nothing with it.

It was going to be such an amazing game, there was going to be infinite things to do in it. The story was going to resolve everything, you were going to be able to hang out on motherbase, do missions however you liked, even travel the open world and do tons of other shit.

JUST
>>
>>332426614
MGS ended with 2, it died with 4
>>
>>332426416
>soundtrack 9/10
>only memorable song is Quiet´s theme
The rest is just tracks is other´s people work.
Words that kill and quiets theme are almost the same. No point in mentioning both , also they´ve ruined Words that kill with that shitty jeep cutscene.
Gameplay was subpar compared to other metal gears.
Atmosphere was good only for the first mission
The rest is self explanatory.
>>
>>332425293
>boss battles are shit and barely enough in a series known for legendary boss battles
>gameplay devolves into "extract this guy" or "destroy this thing"
>level design is garbage
>open world is meaningless and has no life outside the same 20 guard camps and 10 special outposts
>dumbass AI and even less limb damage mechanics than MGS3
>10/10 gameplay

The best way to tell you have never played a MGS is if you seriously believe MGSV had amazing gameplay. It's easily one of the weakest in the franchise other than solid controls.
>>
I just like to pretend this game doesn't exist.
>>
>>332425293
Gameplay was fucking top tier.

It was the level design that sucked dick and didn't let the gameplay truly shine.
>>
>>332426486
This but it bothers me so much because it's my favourite game series. Why did it have to happen? It's the last game, fuck.
>>
gameplay is near perfection
missions become mediocre
freeroaming is good if you're willing to challenge yourself
story is terribly mediocre
online is dead
>>
>>332426447
Yeah, I didn't remember they don't call at all, they just get suprised (that's the time you have to shoot them if you're not playing with reflex) and then everybody just knows, and every base ups their alert status.

It's a sloppy way of doing things in a series that has done way better.
>>
>>332425293
I just want Rising 2 at this point, the main mgs saga is done, there's no need to go on without kojima.
>>
>>332426486
It really was the Phantom Menace of video games.

Like, literally, how could it be bad in any shape or form? And yet it sucked.
>>
>>332426614
>PS3 goes it's entire life cycle without a single good game
Spot the retard.
>>
File: 1453436024925.jpg (485 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1453436024925.jpg
485 KB, 1024x1024
My biggest problem with game is the later lack of variety; there were far more mission varieties in PW, whereas it's the same 3 things over and over and over and over in V.

The open world is COMPLETELY pointless. There's no reason to explore whatsoever; V should've just linked 10 or 12 areas like Camp Omega and made them a bit bigger than the latter. Missions should've varied based on location and circumstance more severely.

Motherbase should've been interactive and worth visiting, instead of a big hub represented by nonstop micromanagement of stupid details

Joosten's entire character and the costs and time associated with her should have been nonexistent; I actually think she detracted from the game dramatically, but Kojima insisted on her stupid bullshit because he had a crush on her and has bad taste in girls.

The story is incomplete; even with the stupid vocal chord parasite bullshit, I at least wanted some sort of conclusion.

What makes V so horribly disappointing is that Ground Zeroes is almost fucking perfect; perfect gameplay, perfect atmosphere, tight and dark story, interesting side missions. The fact that you had to carry targets to a pick-up zone also ratcheted up the tension dramatically. Stopping to balloon random bozos to became your slaves on MB worked great in PW because PW was fundamentally sillier and more cartoony than V was supposed to be.

If V had just been a series of GZ episodes, and the only base building you did was occasionally save prisoners and have helicopters pick them up to increase your access to better weapons or gear, V could've been the best MGS game. It could've focused on a strong, rich narrative and gripping atmosphere, but instead, it was tainted by Joosten and, more importantly, the disgusting open world fad.

MGSV is literally one of the most disappointing things that has ever happened to me.
>>
>>332426914
>online is dead

No it's not. I play it all the time.
>>
>>332426728
>you were going to be able to hang out on motherbase

Fucking man, when I heard about Mother Base I thought I was going to see shit like Diamond Dogs wandering around the base naturally, the combat branch would be practicing CQC and shooting targets, medical wing would be carrying in wounded guys and treating them, and helicopters would be roaming the skies constantly. I just wanted life on Mother Base, instead we got a dead military base with barely anything. Like fuck, wasn't Ocelot and Kaz supposed to wander the base?
>>
>>332426486
>>332426637
>>332426728
>>332426910
>>332427023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F86cYaCGyw
>>
>>332427231
my experience so far with the latest patch:
>join a lobby
>6v1
>people start quitting
>host quits
>3v1
>even more people quit
>2v0
>win
>quit
>>
>>332425293

I liked the gameplay overall, except reflex mode. Good thing we can turn that off.

Story is all over the fucking place but after nanomachines4 I didn't expect any different.

The open world thing was hit and miss. Most time we're just running around doing fuck all and scouting for good recruits because reasons.

I wasn't much of a fan of online mode in 4, and this did nothing to change that so I don't care for it at all.

I had a better time with 2 and 3 but still it's a good game that just had some pretty big shoes to fit into.
>>
>>332427351
There is some bullshit with the matchmaking, especially when it pits like 6 v 2.
>>
File: oldsnake223.jpg (61 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
oldsnake223.jpg
61 KB, 1024x768
>>332426740

This guy gets it.

3 was mediocre compared to the first 2. Introducing Big Boss to the game was stupid, and it was especially stupid to make FIVE fucking games about him.

Solid gets 2 with an opening cameo in one other game, and in one of those games, Kojima makes him an old man and tries to kill him until his superiors tell him to stop being such a dick to SS.

Does Kojima even realize he made Big Boss a massive, deplorable pansy in V? Maybe that was the point; to make you really, genuinely hate Vic Boss and distance him from the legend of Big Boss.
>>
To be honest I'm already done being mad about the stoy being unfinished.

That being said, there are 2 things that are unforgivable and drive me fucking crazy to this day

-Animal conservation plant doesn't have a reptilian and small animals wing to showcase all the little animals and snakes that aren't shown. Also not all birds are on display for fucks sake.

-All motherbase's expansions after tier 1 are industrial filler shit. Fucking christ this is literally the most rage inducing shit. If you're pulling that shit might as well leave it at strat 1 you fucking idtiotic chink.
>>
Here´s my vision of what the game should´ve been.
>Open world , but no mother base trips. just at specific points in the game. or farway pick up points that are hard to reach or better yet , linear.
>Hunger system , much like in MGS3 to keep the need of hunting the wilderness for food.
>No Pequod or drop points everywhere
>Enemy patrol routes thru the woods , roads, etc.
>constantly on the wilderness. No option to go back to base unless you go to the one only LZ in the map.
>Resources (grenades , c4 , tranqs , lethal ammo , magazines) being scarce , no option to ask for packages.
>Camo index
>Being able to use whatever you have to blend in (Boxes , closets , cabinets , stashes or maybe hide in a drum barrel for example , and even take it with you as long as you dont leave it behind)
>item Weight , to manage carefully what you can , or can´t take with you.
I can´t think of anything else right now.
>>
>>332425293
I liked it lol
>>
>>332427231
Me too.
FOBs and MGO3, which has a good number of people playing even if everyone says it's shit.
>>
File: 1450348324828.jpg (76 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
1450348324828.jpg
76 KB, 720x544
>>332426447
With reflex and through the wall marking turned off the game gets a lot better. The audio design is actually really solid and it's easy to listen for footsteps and to predict gaurd movement. Also spotting is still helpful due to the map system you can pull up.

Really, these should have been off by default. I never even bothered playing MGS2 or 3 on EE or even hard but the game gets a lot better balanced with those features off.

Beyond that the game is a solid 6/10. Not shit but not really worthy of being a MGS game, let alone being the ending MGS game that's supposed to satisfy as a means of connecting the two story arcs. Game mechanics are fantastic, controls are really goddamn good, missions vary from kinda neat to boring, story is non existant and what's there is bad. The open world is just pointless and boring, large bases like the one in Ground Zeroes was more interesting.

The game also drags on for far too long and overstays its welcome. Are MGS1-3 even over 20 hours? Fucking Act 1 in MGSV is like 60 hours and it's just too much. Not every game needs to be long, and jamming grinding into a MGS game is fucking horrible. It's like Kojima wanted to make an RPG.

Anyways, shit's done. Not a horrible game but a fairly disappointing one with some solid moments.
>>
Word.
>>
>>332425890
Not only this but in MGS1-4 and peacewalker, you were clearly behind a piece of cargo/wall or you weren't. In MGSV you could have a body part floating in enemy sight but it doesnt matter because your in cover mode.
>>
>>332426859
This nigga gets it.
Metal Gear series ended with 4, Peacewalker was a full little side story, and MGSV is some non-canon bullshit along with MGR. It helps that Kiefer voices Snake because it makes it easier to detach the game from the real series.
>>
>>332426903
Level design is part of the gameplay. Good gameplay with bad level design just means it has good control, not really good gameplay because you can't use the good control to play with.

I would argue MGS4 suffered the same fate. Good control, but not enough gameplay to actually use it.
>>
File: 1457327540799.jpg (194 KB, 890x1308) Image search: [Google]
1457327540799.jpg
194 KB, 890x1308
>>332427178
I pretty much agree with everything you said. Amen.
I will never truly be contempt with MGSV because the potential could of been of the best video games ever in my book. Just... fuck man.
>>
File: MGS2S_NA_cover.jpg (102 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
MGS2S_NA_cover.jpg
102 KB, 640x908
Now that the dust really has settled, can we talk about how this game is not only a disgrace to the series story wise, but also not all that great in terms of gameplay.
>>
File: 1451228484226-2.png (497 KB, 481x689) Image search: [Google]
1451228484226-2.png
497 KB, 481x689
The joost derailed development, can you really blame kojima?
>>
>>332426614
>>PS3 goes it's entire life cycle without a single good game
*Exclusive
Fixed that for you
>>
>>332425293
I'm not too bitter about this game for the story or gameplay. Honestly my biggest problems with the story are just "wtf happened to sicklehufflepuff and liquid AND the virus" and thathayter didn't voice the real big boss. Gameplay wise, the open world aspect could've bee brought down way more.

If the game just included the mission that was unfinished and scaled down the distances between enemy bases it'd be a cool game. Oh and maybe fix the shit ass Sayhellotomylittlefriendthrapuss battle.
>>
V was pretty good
>>
>>332425293
4 words. Amazing gameplay, shit story

thats really all there is to it
>>
>>332426854
nigga i been playin since mg fuck off
>>
>>332433316
The level design is shit for the most part, which affects the game play. Also very repettive. The shitty story isn't the only bad part
>>
>>332431279
What are you talking about?
Are you from reddit?
>>
>>332425293
I've never played a single Metal gear except this one.
Couldn't really follow the story that much but the game play is alright, just playing with all the gadgets, weapons and explosives is pretty fun.
The annoying part is my base is full so I can't get more people for more developments. I have to buy more coins or some shit just for another base.
>>
File: 1458605450282.jpg (149 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1458605450282.jpg
149 KB, 803x688
>>332431279
>>
>>332433640
Character mechanics then. Venom's movements and attacks are the most fluid of any MGS game. They didn't seem clunky or limited like previous iterations. CQC felt like actual CQC this time.
>>
Even Ground Zeroes was better designed.
>>
>>332434571
Not really. His punches basically trigger a cutscene. His other moves were in MGS since MGS3.
>>
>>332425293
MGS4 is far worse, but MGS5 is an incomplete game.
>>
>>332427178
This... Just this.

It hurts.
>>
Best MGS gameplay wise as far as I'm concerned. Had a great time with it.
It's true it had a bad story, but what does it matter? The story was already raped to death in MGS 4. You couldn't possibly recover from that.
>>
>>332426828
>the rest is just tracks is other's people work
If that music is good and fits the tone than there's no detrimental effect on the quality of the soundtrack. He said the soundtrack was good not that the composer put in a ton of effort.
>>
File: 3094529.jpg (46 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
3094529.jpg
46 KB, 600x600
>Supposed to bridge PW to MG.
>Instead opens up a whole new can of bullshit and doesn't even finish that.
>>
>>332426854

>The best way to tell you never played [insert franchise here] is if you like what I don't like
>>
>>332427239
It was because of how comfy the Paz tapes sounded with the soccer games and showers. We had a standard we were expecting.

And we got... whatever the hell that lonlely sad place is.
>>
>>332431279
The best fast-paced MGS game
>>
i FUCKING HATE amanda, chico, paz and all the other jungle spics with that irritating accent in PW

the only good thing about PW is Kaz and Huey
>>
does anybody else think that MGS 1 and 2 combined is the pinnacle of video games

i certainly do
>>
>>332431279
Yep, overrated as fuck.
>>
>>332433640
wouldn't say it's shit, it's more like that there isn't really a lot of level design

its mostly empty space
>>
>>332425293

I still don't get this great gameplay meme. Explain
>>
I will rebuy it on PC when theres a mod that puts a random freeroam mission (or two) into an mgo map and drops me in no buddies, equipment osp
>>
The gameplay was improved in the way of mechanics, and the gadget game was strong as fuck.
OKB Zero is the only area in the game you can call a level, with actual level design that benefitted the game, because the rest is even worse than the bases that newer far cry games have to offer.
Sahelanthropus was a pretty neat boss, but the skulls are probably the worst concept in the whole fucking series to date.
All they had to do for a story was force Snack to make some tough decisions and turn him into a bad guy, but that only happened once completely out of left field, and the rest of the focus went to a story about some trans-looking autistic slut who lusts for alligator dick.
How did they end up with that?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.