[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Batman games any good for someone who is not interested in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8
File: za9ayg9j.jpg (158 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
za9ayg9j.jpg
158 KB, 1280x720
Are Batman games any good for someone who is not interested in the setting?
>>
>>332399613
Asylum and City are very good.

Knight is decent.
>>
>>332399613
Yes. I was never even remotely interested in any superhero bullshit but I loved batman games. start with Arkham Asylum then play Arkham City, then Arkham Knight then Origins if you'll want more.
Also Knight is perfectly fine on PC with latest patch - played though it like a week ago and encountered 1 (one) bug with weapon sticking to nightwing hands during cutscene. ended up 100%ing this game
>>
>>332399613
Depends what you mean by not interested. Games have shitload of trivia and characters bios that are really interesting to read, I didn't know shit about batman except movie stuff until I played them and it was really fun just reading character profiles
>>
>>332400038
>>332399860
What's wrong with Origins?
>>
>>332400290
Forgettable. It's an afterthought because it plays basically the same as City.
>>
>>332400290
It was outsourced to some other company. Gameplay wise it's exactly like city, same map, but its content, story etc are really boring and shitty
>>
>>332400290
Derivative. It's for people who simply crave for "more Arkham City".
>>
I like how they've never bothered fixing the glitch where Bats punches someone in the dick so hard they pass out
>>
File: advanced combat.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
advanced combat.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
I really enjoyed the first gaem but then by the 2nd one I got really bored of the buttonmasher combat. imo combat feels like shite in the batman games
>>
first 2 were good. knight is a shitty tank simulator and origins introduces all these neato villains and just utterly wastes them in favor of old hat gameplay and story.
>>
>>332400901
this is bait
>>
>>332400853
It wasn't a glitch.
>>
How does it play with kb/mouse?
>>
>>332400901
You know you'll never actually beat those guys like that, it's basically stalling.
>>
>>332400901
Try the combat challenges faget

if you can get gold on them, the main game becomes a joke
>>
>>332399613
No. Combat is overly simplistic and stealth is even more so. There are loads of better options.
>>
>>332400941
Obviously there's a little more to it than that but the combat is not terribly complex or varied.
>>
>>332400290
It's buggy and WB never bothered to patch it.

Other than that it's okay. A City reskin with some nice bossfights.
>>
>>332400901
>play game like that
>every fight lasts 45 minutes
>>
>>332400290
Absolutely nothing. It's the second best game in the series.
>>
>>332401079
It's very simple but it works. It's fun watching Batman fuck up ten dudes at the same time.

Also if you want to do all those challenge arenas, it suddenly becomes fucking hard.
>>
>>332400901
The combat is only as fun as you make it. Arkham City introduced a lot of new items and techniques. It's all about versatility and building up combos.
Unfortunately they made it way too easy to dodge attacks and the only "challenging" aspects in the story mode are the ones where you have to beat hundreds of people plus some big guys.

Play the challenge mode.
>>
free flow focus is what ruined what modicum of challenge there was, then they went and added shock gloves in origins and it was literally press x to win, even worse than the webm above where you press y to not die. the most fun is playing AC catwoman because she only has a handful of gadgets and her flair during certain movies leaves her wide open to get hit. nightwing was also pretty fun. didnt even bother with challenge mode in knight.
>>
>>332400953

>its not a glitch that he does the ground takedown backwards
>>
Only played Arkham City.

The gameplay is dull. Climbing basically does itself with one button press. Puzzles solve themselves by pressing the "see everything and solve the puzzle" button. Stealth is also heavily simplified by the "see through walls" button, and all those automated "press hookshot to hide on gargoyle" parts. Combat is simplistic in the sense that you don't really have to aim your fists anywhere, the game does that for you AssCreed-style, and the counter and dodge roll are very reliable tools to get out of almost any situation. If you are not half-retarded, you won't really find yourself in any danger, especially since it is rare that more than two goons attack you at ones, while the others just stand around you to wait for their turn. Conveniently you can always counter two goons at the same time. Playing around with gadgets is fun, but the enemy variety is pretty low. Later on there are enemies you can't counter, or more precisely, countering them is a little bit more complicated (for example, pressing the button in a rhythm, rathern than pressing it once), but even that quickly turns into just going through the motion.

Overall the game is very polished and certainly fun, but too superficial to beat it more than once. Make sure to play on hard, so that the combat is not completely trivialized by having giant "counter now!" button prompts.

Also, Mr. Freeze is the only good boss in the game and the story is a comic-typical "cramp as much as possible in here" mess.
>>
Great series. You should probably be a little bit aware of who the main people are, though. Not anything beyond knowing things like: Catwoman is a burglar who's a love interest at times, Joker is psycho happy clown who;s obsessed with Batman, etc.

The games are very good. Arkham Asylum is quite annoying to play because of how good City is (in terms of what they added to Batman's skills). Origins is City 2.0. It's... something. I like it. But I could see people not enjoying it.

Arkham Knight runs just fine on PC now and I'd strongly urge you to get the season pass but wait until it's on sale. The season pass, IIRC, was like 4.99 extra for me on sale. Great value but isn't worth it at all full price.
>>
File: Batman_Arkham_Origins_Sept_18_2.jpg (490 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Arkham_Origins_Sept_18_2.jpg
490 KB, 1920x1080
>>332400290
Nothing, really. It's more of Arkham City with more bugs. Origin's only real problem was how it wasted characters they made a big deal about being in the game. Hell, MP was actually decent if you could get enough people who weren't assholes immediately quitting unless THEY got to play as heroes.
>>
>>332401541
It was in the engine for all of the games. Not to mention you can pass out from such force to the genitals. So yeah, it's not a glitch if it's there in purpose.
>>
Asylum is worth a shot. Pump the difficulty otherwise you'll get bored as shit.
>>
They are slightly better Assassin's Creeds.
>>
>>332399613
the first one is ok but worth checking out

the second one is the best without a doubt.

origins was pretty damn good. had the best boss fights in the series

the 3rd game is a piece of shit and should be ignored.
>>
>>332400672
All the games play basically the same
>>
>>332401079
the problem with the freeflow system is that its idea of variety is throwing at you a bunch of different enemies that can only be defeated in a specific way

it's actually tremendously restricting and it feels more like a rhythm game than a fighting system

what actually good beat 'em ups do is offer a range of tools that adapt to different playstyles but are all more or less equally effective
>>
>>332399613
Never read any of the comics, only watched some cartoons of him as a kid and teen: Asylum and City are fantastic games.
>>
>>332400901
some anon had a good point on this webm recently;

The combat system of Arkham isn't about winning a combat, like other games are, but about mastering it.

You see, batman is such a badass at melee fighting, its pretty unrealistic for him to loose to scrubs, so the gamedesign choice was not to focus on wether batman wins or loses the combat, but about how awesome he wins. Thats why you see a combo score there.
>>
>>332403609
But there's nothing really to master. The combat is incredibly half baked and even the additions in City like multiple dude takedowns aren't relevant because the player themselves doesn't do anything different.

The Arkham games have a load of different animations that do and are done by the same shit just to make the player feel like they're this leet street baller mofo taking out thugs but there's no actual skill or thought to it.
>>
>>332400901

The combat in it's current state is not hard, but you definitely can't win just pushing the counter button.

Also, it has a lot of potential to be great, is just that sadly they have casuals in mind when they make the games.
>>
>>332403609
But the game itself gives me little incentive to go out of my way to make a fight interesting to watch. Sure, you get experience, but you basically just spend that on new fancy ways to stun enemies.

DMC has a style meter that you want to fill up because the combat is fun, not just because you want to see the meter going up. The meter is a bonus. In Bamham the "meter" is supposed to be the thing that gets you to do better combos, but it just doesn't work as an incentive.
>>
>>332404640
Not only that but in DMC stylish players are rewarded with MUCH cooler looking combos, in Bamham you can press the same buttom 10 times and Batman will do like 7 different combinations of punches and kicks.

I get DMC4 is a bit of an unfair comparison given Dante has probably the deepest build of any action game character but you'll never get close ot this kind of skill ceiling in Bamham. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma3zKo4IaLU
>>
>>332401139
>It's buggy
only on pc
>>
>>332405040
You're thinking of Knight, Origins is buggy on everything.
>>
I didn't know much about Batman except maybe the Joker (i didn't even know who the fuck harley quinn was), but those games really makes you feel the lore of the universe in a way that gets you really interested. It actually made me consider reading the original comics.
>>
>>332403840

Again, it's combat does not try to be Souls, DMC and shit, 'cause Batman shouldn't have problems against a crowd of common thugs. Think of it as Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

I don't like that idea, but i understand it.

>>332404640

The incentive is the character itself: being Batman kicking asses with ease.
>>
>>332405154
played it on ps3 from start to finish no problems. and all bugs i read about were about the pc version.
>>
>>332405259
>The incentive is the character itself: being Batman kicking asses with ease.
Yeah, but that is not a game mechanic. It's about as much of an incentive as being Messi in FIFA. If you're a fan of Messi you might want to buy FIFA for that, but if you care about video games on more than a superficial level chances are that you will probably not get the next one.
>>
>>332405002
i'm not trying to bate here, but in all seriousness, the combat from dmc4 doesnt look as stylish as Bamham to me. you see the same 3 sword slash animations and shooting his guns basically.

Bamham seems way more natural to me.
>>
>>332404640
>>332405002
are you seriously complaining that a licensed comic book video game doesn't have a combat system as deep as DMC
>>
>>332405436
No need to get so defensive. I am just trying to point out what it is that makes the Bamham game so shallow.

Again, the games are enjoyable and polished (maybe a bit too polished), but nothing you'd play more than once. That's okay. But I should be allowed to criticize it without getting a reply like "it's just a Batman game get over yourself".
>>
>>332405002

>MUCH cooler looking combos

Maybe i'm not into cuhrazy anime moves, but i find Batman's more grounded moves cooler, dificulty of games aside. I want a martial arts exhibit, not a series of imposible slashes in middair.
>>
>>332405412
Have you actually played DMC? These combos are the most impressive if you know what is going on.

Same reason why a fighting game tournament might seem boring to someone who doesn't know anything about fighting games, while it can be hype as fuck for someone who has the basics down.
>>
>>332405384

Agree with you. The incentive works for me, though. I love this series, mostly because i see a lot of potential in it, in the hands of passionate and competent devs.
>>
>>332405965
Loving a series mostly for its potential seems a bit weird, but I guess you just worded that awkwardly.

Fair deal if you enjoy these games. I can see why people do. I am just a bit annoyed by the fact that the press flaunts it as "ONE OF THE GREATEST GAME EVERY MADE PERIOD".
>>
>>332403609
so true
>>
File: 3.jpg (18 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
18 KB, 225x225
Asylum>Knight>City>Origins

Anybody who has City as first is literally 10 years old.
>>
Why doesn't /v/ talk about Knight more? It has everything /v/ usually likes

>capeshit
>GOAT graphics
>>
File: 101405003.jpg (320 KB, 1019x1117) Image search: [Google]
101405003.jpg
320 KB, 1019x1117
What happened?
>>
>>332406483
Only HYPEfags care about graphics. Months after release no one cares about stuff like that.
>>
>>332405412
Be honest for a second, have you played DMC4?
>>
>>332399613
>Are Batman games any good for someone who is not interested in the setting?
do you like games like Assassin's Creed or Shadow of Mordor?

especially Shadow of Mordor because the combat and stealth is almost identical to Bamham
>>
>>332406769
>>332405703

i obviously haven't, but does that matter? i think the animations of bamham still look more fluent.
>>
>>332406391
wording this after just replaying the entire series
>>
>>332405259
So what is the combat trying to be? And you say the incentive is Batman kicking ass but just about any player can do that. There's no skill involved in Bamham combat.
>>
>>332406674

>Months after release no one cares about stuff like that.

Why's Witcher 3/Crysis still relevant then? Two average games in their respective genres with the best visuals in their genre (relative to their era).
>>
>>332406950
I haven't seen anyone talking about Crysis in forever, except when bringing it up to talk shit about a soon released game's graphics (aka hype-related shit).
Witcher 3 has a huge world and tons of stuff to do, I guess. Haven't played it, but it seems like a game with long lasting appeal.
>>
>>332406841
Point being the animations in Arkham do look nice but they're all functionally the same. Batman may be doing some whack shit but the player is just pressing the same attack button with the occasional counter.

Even shit that requires more skill on Batman's part like countering two guys at the same time requires no more skill from the player than countering one. Contrasting that with DMC4 there's a fucking huge skill ceiling that displays a massive skill gap between average players a rad dudes. If you'd played DMC4 you'd recognise how borderline insane some of the shit in that video is.

DMC4 doesn't let you just fly around in midair like that, you have to have some pretty superhuman skills to pull off some of that shit. While that game rewards those with skill by having all this crazy shit happen, there's no visible skill divide between shit and great Arkham players because the combat has no depth.
>>
>>332406660
>What happened?
no charactor creation

not everyone wants to be a Geralt

a lot of open world RPG players want to be girls with huge tits
>>
>>332406891
Sometimes you just want to turn off your brain and kick some ass. Anyone who pretends Batman combat has any real depth to it is deluded, but if you're just looking to press some buttons and watch cool shit happen to relax, the Arkham games are great for that. I enjoy challenging games, but that doesn't mean I'm always in the mood for something challenging when I play video games.
>>
>>332406891
combat in NG+ was fun though desu
>>
>>332402032
Why is Big Boss fighting Batman?
>>
>>332400961
pretty good for asylum. for city it's kind of an issue if you want to use the gadgets during combat.
>>
>>332407238
Fair enough. But I still don't think such simplistic combat should get such high praise from the mainstream gaming press.
>>
>>332407129

You guys are both wrong. Witcher 3/Crysis is literal who status
>>
>>332407214
>a lot of open world RPG players want to be girls with huge tits

Checking in.
>>
>>332407381
I don't disagree with you.
>>
File: i like you.gif (904 KB, 500x242) Image search: [Google]
i like you.gif
904 KB, 500x242
>>332407480
Good to know we're on the same page, anon.
>>
>>332407435
kys
>>
File: harley.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
harley.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
all I want to know is can I play as harley quinn like in this webm? if so wat gaem ?
>>
>>332407671
play all of them to find out faggot
>>
Is it worth getting through City to play Knight? I've gotten about three hours into City twice and I lose interest, but I really liked Asylum.
>>
>>332407628
I feel like /v/ generally has a rather coherent consensus over the BamHam games, it's just that we hang ourselves up on those tiny differences in wording. Only few people seem to really hate BamHam just as only few people seem to love the series. Most people are just "it's superficial overhyped fun, that some people like and some don't."

But I know someone will disagree with me here.
>>
>>332406183

Well, before i played Asylum for the first time, i always wanted a 3D beat 'em up where the character could win a fight against a crowd with ease. Ninja Gaiden didn't gave me that because no matter how good you are (and i was competent enough), Ryu gets slashed all the time. Also, i prefer human enemies over crazy demons.
And before that my favorite genre of games was stealth (Splinter Cell and Metal Gear).
So when i played Asylum for the first time it was like a dream come true.
The foundations for my dream game are here, is the closest thing. It just needs some improvements, that's why i talked about potential.

And for the press thing, i just have to say: Batman sells. That's why the opinion of the critics is this "biased". Maybe, the same gameplay with an OC character or even a less known one, would't have this praise.
>>
So I played this game after hearing it was fixed on PC out of hype for BvS (which sucked btw) and I don't get it, what gives? The game is pretty fucking fantastic?
>>
>>332407857
>coherent consensus
There is none at all. It's what you perceive. Pretty much the beauty of 4chan desu
>>
>>332407840
If you don't like City, I don't see you liking Knight either.
>>
>>332399613
Get City.
>>
>>332407840
knight is city but better
so if you really cant even get through city, you won't like knight
>>
File: oh shit son.jpg (86 KB, 650x427) Image search: [Google]
oh shit son.jpg
86 KB, 650x427
>>332407857

I love the Arkham series. Asylum was one of the best games of last gen, the level design and metroidvania style progression was excellent. Same with City and same with Arkham Knight.

Batham games has been the most consistently good series (origins not included because "Not Rocksteady") in recent memory.
>>
>>332407863
>Maybe, the same gameplay with an OC character or even a less known one, would't have this praise.
Well, Shadow of Mordor was praised a great deal, but that had that Nemesis mechanic which was kinda cool I guess.
>>
>>332407671

http://store.steampowered.com/app/313100/
>>
>>332408184
How can you say about Arkham City that "the level design and metroidvania style progression was excellent" when it didn't really have metroidvania elements?
>>
Ignore Asylum, play City.
>>
>>332408281

I never said that about City. I was carrying over the "one of the best games last gen" statement to City, not the metroidvania aspects.
>>
>>332408468
Oh, I see.
Well, I disagree.
>>
Just play asylum.
>>
>>332408636

>Well, I disagree.

Cool

>>332408283

Kill urself
>>
>>332407358

Not at all. You only have to tap the gadget key twice. Simple and effective.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.