[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the Doom games worth playing WITHOUT mods?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
Are the Doom games worth playing WITHOUT mods?
>>
yes. now delete this fucking thread.
>>
>>332363146
not really IMO. They are pretty old.
Dunno if'd want to play them nowadays if I hadn't back then.
I guess it's worth a try for history's sake.
>>
>>332363146
yes
they're considerably better than most modern games which is embarrassing but not surprising considering the stock market is involved and the stock market destroys everything it touches like a virulent contagion.
>>
I played doom for the first time on my 360 in like 2009 and loved it. It's a great game as long as you aren't an enormous fucking autistic faggot.
>>
If you play them in Zdoom or GZdoom where everything runs at a decent framerate, then yes.

If you're running it through a DOSBOX emulator where it runs slow as shit and you use the arrow keys to move, unless you played it like that on release it'll probably be a bit too old for you.
>>
lol I still never played Doom in my entire life
>>
>>332363146
My first time playing Doom was 2 years ago, using no mods and using dosbox (the worst way to play Doom)

It was still awesome

getting a proper source port only makes it way way better
>>
>>332363146
yes, all of them

source ports arent mods btw

play crispy doom for closest to vanilla
play gzdoom + smoothdoom for modern vanilla+ experience
>>
>>332366198
>crispy doom
only spergs use that
>>
>>332363146
No, you clown. It's 2016.
>>
Ultimate Doom yes.
Doom II is more debatable because despite having extra monsters and the glorious SSG, there are quite a few shitty maps like The Pit or Nirvana.

But in general yeah they're still fun at their core
>>
File: aee.png (43 KB, 252x235) Image search: [Google]
aee.png
43 KB, 252x235
>>332367450
what's wrong with The Pit? I thought it was fun , unescapable toxic pits aside
>>
Not anymore. Project Brutality really improves it in every aspect. It's actually a lot more fun than lot of the current gen FPS.
On the other hand, I don't mind playing unmodded Rise of The Triad (the original), Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Shadow Warrior.
Back in the day when I got my first home computer (this was in 1999), DooM 1&2 were outdated already. I still liked it a lot for its simplicity.
>>
>>332367773
It's sorta manageable until you get to the part with nukage pools which is bascially my main beef with the level. I just find it awkward to navigate through.

Also that chaingunner closet near the rocket launcher
>>
Of course, are you stupid or what?
>>
File: 1458994993883.jpg (146 KB, 380x540) Image search: [Google]
1458994993883.jpg
146 KB, 380x540
>>332368209
>Also that chaingunner closet near the rocket launcher
didn't even have time to pull out the rocket launcher before i died
>>
>>332365763
>not knowing DOS doom had remappable controls and mouse support

Top zozzle
>>
>>332366253
>higher resolution than chocolate doom

You're the sperg
>>
>>332363146
Do mapsets count as mods?

Because mapsets improve the experience way more than any monster or weapon or gameplay mod ever has

Doom 2's singular flaw is meh to mediocre maps.

Solve that by getting one of the many top quality megawads out there like Scythe, UAC Ultra, Memento Mori, Alien Vendetta, Back to Saturn X, Doom 2 The Way id Did, and so on
>>
>>332363146

Without ANY mods? Probably not.

The big secret about Doom is that the level design ranges from fantastic to downright abysmal.

Doom: Knee Deep in the Dead had by far the best level design, but was lacking any of the Doom 2 weapons or monsters.

Doom 2's levels, on the other hand, ranged from mediocre to downright atrocious.

Same goes for the rest of Ultimate Doom, with the possible exception of a few bright spots in Episode 4, but again, no Doom 2 weapons or monsters.

The less said about the master levels, the better.

As far as Final Doom is concerned, TNT Evilution is typical TeamTNT drek (read: awful), but Plutonia is actually pretty decent front to back and is probably the best complete "package" in the entire official lineup - but the highs of Plutnoia can't match Knee Deep in the Dead.

And all of them have been outdone a thousand times over by the countless levelpacks for the vanilla game, to say nothing of the tons of weapon and gameplay mods.
>>
>>332367773

The Pit is where I usually stop my Doom 2 runs as well. It's an unintuitive chore when you don't know where to go, and even when you do it's just a tedious level overall.
>>
>>332367773
>>332372240
It had the best song in Doom 2, at the very least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhCNx-8Qos
>>
>>332372354

Good god, no. I can't even be objective about the song because I associate it with that godawful level. And you didn't even post the superior OPL2 version of it, cretin.

Sorry, but the best song in the game is MAP07.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5JinUU-k-Y
>>
>>332373156
>>332372354
They're both nothing compared to Nothing Told Me About Id
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iIrg4DM078
>>
>>332373156
Nope, Into Sandy's City is the best.

Here's the best Doom 1 song by the way, not including e1m1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEAYqiKFk9c
>>
>>332363146
No, Call of Duty is so much better. You should go back there.
>>
Was the sprint button in the original DOS version of Doom? I just realized today that I've literally been playing it for 7 years with zDoom and never realized there's a key for sprinting and I didn't understand why so many people were mad about the new doom not being fast enough.
>>
>>332374363
Doom doesn't have a sprint button, it has a run/walk toggle.
>>
>>332374363
Yes Romero recommended every sprint all the time. I just have my movement on zdoom set to sprint as default. It is so much better
>>
>>332374363
Yes it was. There is an Always Run option (at least in all the source ports I've used) that pretty much everyone uses all the time.
>>
>>332374430
>>332374476
>>332374601
Well, I feel retarded. I just played through E1M1 with the run toggle on, it's like a new game.
>>
>>332363146
Yes. All three of them. Ultimate Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom.
>>
>>332367450
>Shitty maps
>No mention of Slough of Despair

"Hey look guys I made a map that looks like a hand!"

It was so shit they didn't even bother to include it with many of the later ports they made.
>>
>>332374363
You clearly can't have played it much because alot of maps are impossible to beat without sprint-jumping off ledges
>>
>>332374430
>it has a run/walk toggle.
You wot m8? If you're not abusing the autorun bug (though why wouldn't you) you need to hold down shift, or whatever your speed key is, non-stop to run. There is no toggle.
>>
yes it's still much better than modern games too
>>
File: 1458194251574.png (296 KB, 579x1129) Image search: [Google]
1458194251574.png
296 KB, 579x1129
>>332363146
I played Doom first time probably 5 years ago on the 360. I'm not big into FPS, played CoD 1-4 and Halo 3 only before that I think and they were only above average and otherwise boring.
Doom fucking blew me away. Having to multi-task during combat by dodging damage and killing certain enemies first was always a fun challenge.I don't think I've played a shooter before that where the maps actually mattered since I needed to search for health and sometimes ammo along with the end door.

Just get it already if you've only played military fps.
>>
>there are people that play videogames that might go their entire lives without playing DOOM
>>
>>332380065
me
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.