[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why aren't you playing the true fallout 3 right now?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15
File: Alpha.jpg (213 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Alpha.jpg
213 KB, 1024x768
why aren't you playing the true fallout 3 right now?
>>
>>332356986
I wonder how feasable a pure traps, throwables, crafting, and psyonics run would be. No guns or bows. sounds fun
>>
File: rejoice.png (23 KB, 894x293) Image search: [Google]
rejoice.png
23 KB, 894x293
>>332356986
Because I've already done everything there is to be done with a single character, and I don't have time to roll a new one.

However just noticed pic related and I came buckets. Hopefully this means we'll get more info soon. It's been ages since the last patch.
>>
>>332357616
is he the only guy making it? if so then its damn impressive
>>
>>332356986
bump
>>
>>332357947
Nope, he has a few guys helping him out with additional programming/bug fixing, he has an artist, he has a writer, and also a composer. The composer was properly hired though as far as I know. The rest are more like friends who could help out with the game.
>>
>>332357294
>and psyonics
All you need.
>>
>>332358665
thats still really impressive
>>
>>332359059
he used to do programming for banks or some shit like that
>>
I am
Currently playing Wasteland 2, but have this one in the backlog

Should i start it or just continue with Wasteland?
>>
I found this game to be pretty tough so far
fuck sentry bots and junkyard muties honestly
>>
>>332356986
Can't believe there's already an undertale rip off haha
>>
>>332356986
>quicksave based combat

amazing
>>
File: underrail alpha vs release.jpg (1 MB, 2048x768) Image search: [Google]
underrail alpha vs release.jpg
1 MB, 2048x768
>>332359059
Definitely. Especially when you consider that Styg DID use to be the only dev for a pretty long time. I think the writer was the first to join him, but I'm not sure. But for example the alpha graphics were still done by Styg, and the artist he got late in development had a pretty short time limit to salvage it to the best of his abilities. This is why you get not so good looking areas like the Underpassages which were made for the alpha, but also later additions like Tchort, that were done entirely by the artist.
>>
>>332359324
What build?
>>
>>332359879
just the picture comparison made me realize how much little detail is in this game wow
>>
>>332359997
40 guns
22 dodge/evasion
38 stealth
27 metathermics
7 strength
6 agility
5 dex
6 constitiution
Wearing riot armor, 5mm smg, and 8.6 assult
I just got through the junkyard entrance last night by lots of bear traps, calptrops, and grenades
>>
>>332356986
claustrophobic
>>
File: impostor.png (38 KB, 326x186) Image search: [Google]
impostor.png
38 KB, 326x186
>>332360165
Oh yeah, and not just the art. The writing gave some serious attention to little details as well, quest design and to a lesser degree item placement too.

But still the new artist was a real blessing. At least someone had the good sense to realize that maybe giving one of the most important NPCs a unique model/portrait might actually not be such a terrible idea.
>>
>>332360807
How much Will?
Why the low Dex if you are focusing on Guns?
Actually, is 7 the highest of your attributes?
You are doing Traps and Stealth, so why do you need Dodge?
>>
>>332360165
I read this as "how little detail"
>>
>>332361501
I'm just impressed at this game. I put a few hours into fallout one and the weapon variety, environment, and crafting(iirc it didn't even have crafting) just fell short. This game jsut clicked better. I'm going to try fallout 2 after I beat this and hope it clicks
>>
>>332356986
>undertale
Shitty meme game
>>
>>332361501
are characters 2D or 3D?
>>
File: fallout2_cd.jpg (200 KB, 950x950) Image search: [Google]
fallout2_cd.jpg
200 KB, 950x950
-No party members
-The story/setting suck
-Terrible UI
-No run option
>>
>>332361918
>How much Will?
>Why the low Dex if you are focusing on Guns?
poor judgement
>Actually, is 7 the highest of your attributes?
yes
>You are doing Traps and Stealth, so why do you need Dodge?
I only used traps and stealth out of necessity. Doing the shoot, backup, heal method wasn't working for me. I only had traps at 4 from some gear beacause I wasn't planning on using traps often, and I used some gear to get stealth up to 50ish so I figured that was decent enough.
I buffed dodge and evasion equally because of the amount of both melee and ranged enemies so far
>>
>>332362304
2D sprites, all of it. Which is why there is no character customization, and little visible gear variety.
>>
>>332356986
excellent fucking game lads
Assault Rifle / Metal Armor master race
>>
>>332362037
*how much small detail
poor word choice
>>
File: cheeki breeki.jpg (92 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
cheeki breeki.jpg
92 KB, 800x533
Why is it always magic 'n shit?

I'm fine with radiation mutants and such shit, but when magic gets into the game it's a huge turn off for my apocalypse boner.

STALKER is pretty borderline on it, the right amount of gun and cheeki breeki, psy-stuff and anamolies are tolerateable.
>>
>>332362341
>The story/setting suck
That's just, like, your opinion, man.
>>
File: 52456723564897.jpg (22 KB, 716x717) Image search: [Google]
52456723564897.jpg
22 KB, 716x717
>>332362341
>the story sucks
>the setting sucks
>needing an AI packmule
cmon laddie
>>
>>332362341
>-No party members
some would be nice honestly
>-The story/setting suck
nah
>-Terrible UI
I remeber the fallout 1 ui being pretty garbage for inventory management
is 2 any better?
>-No run option
unnecessary
>>
>>332362645
Because this is not a post-apocalyptic setting with a science-fantasy flavor, this is a full on science-fantasy setting with post-apocalyptic flavor which is mostly there to lure you into a false sense of security.
>>
>>332356986
Because I've already played it thrice, all the way to the start of the caverns and I'm not looking forward to doing that again, or doing the caverns tbqh. I don't really have the patience to try every possible map 2 or 3 times, to backtrack and shit fumbling about trying to find whatever it is that ticks the box so the game will move forward and I don't really want to read a step by step guide, as it completely defeats what I liked about the game in the first place.

Regardless, best cRPG of the whole bunch we got over the last handful of years and it's not even close.
>>
>>332362645

The next game from the Age of Decadence guy will be in a colony ship after society has broken down and reverted to low tech. Here's hoping it doesn't suck.
>>
>>332362341
Unfair comparison. Especially since:
a)Fallout 2 is fucking Fallout 2
b)Game isn't balanced around a party
c)You don't have ninja slippers in Fo2 either
d)UI is functional. Hell, item tabs on Fo2 would be a blessing
e)It is amateur-ish and made by 4 guys and is probably the best cRPG since especially if you don't give 2 shits about medieval fantasy bullshit
>>
>>332356986
I really want to try this game, but the art style is just so dog shit and I'd appreciate immersion in a post-apocalyptic game set in a metro system.
>>
>>332362504
Look, I'm not going to say that you fucked up, but this is not going to be an easy ride for you.

Underrail gives us amazing build variety, but this also means that you have to know what you are doing. You need to specialize, you need dump stats, starting with such low primary and unnecessarily high secondary attributes is pretty much suicide. In this game you can do whatever you want (as long as that whatever is combat-related), but you have to do it well.

I can't even really suggest a good respec for you with stats like this, so my advice is, from now on whenever you gain an attribute point, put it in your Dex. It will never be perfects, but you might survive.

By the way, picking Dodge is not necessarily a terrible idea, having it around 50 can save you a lot of trouble. But unless you are melee going above that would be a complete waste of points.
>>
has the dev addressed the lack of a map?
a map isn't the hugest concern so far. It isn't to hard to get around, but I feel like you might get lost without some kind of reference. You can't even write down directions people tell you in game, and there are barely any signs to guide you. Do you get lost at all later in the game?
also
>compass points north
>north is always top right
does the compass serve a purpose?
>>
>>332362645
Mystic apocalypse best apocalypse
>>
>>332356986
Shut the fuck up kid. You don't know a god damn thing about what you're talking about and quite frankly I'm getting a little ticked off over your retarded post.
>>
>>332363879
well shit
I guess I will persevere for now and make a better character later
thanks for the advice, I probably needed it
>>
>>332363949
>has the dev addressed the lack of a map?

The dev does not want a map, and will never implement one. Not because he can't, but because he believes that this game shouldn't have one.

>but I feel like you might get lost without some kind of reference
Eh, getting genuinely lost is near impossible, but you might end up walking in circles unless you draw a map for yourself. Just something basic will do the job. Or if you are feeling lazy, others have shared their own on forums and such.

>does the compass serve a purpose?
It's a joke. Alpha testers complained about the directions you get (one of the first is GMS, and they tell you to go north), so Styg decided to mock them with the huge ass red arrow and the "this character knows which way north is" effect description.
>>
>>332363949
Getting lost is honestly the best part of the game. I get it, it sucks when a quest requires you to go to place X that's out in the middle of fucking nowhere and the directions you get are shit but there's maps on the internet for just those occasions. Besides, that only happens once or twice.

Most of the confusion (to me at least) happened inside the cities/bases, especially Core and the Institute and you'll figure those out naturally.
Having a map would be literally to good of a crutch.

Not really.
>>
>>332364024
Don't ever fucking reply to me again unless you are contributing to this fucking thread
>>
>>332364473
>>332364593
>because he believes that this game shouldn't have one.
makes sense
>>
File: Fallout_Tactics_Box.jpg (30 KB, 324x401) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_Tactics_Box.jpg
30 KB, 324x401
>>332356986
i thought this was the real fallout 3
pic related
>>
>>332364314
It's okay, anon. We all make mistakes. Once you learn the system you'll probably manage to fix your build enough to finish the game. Check the full Feats list and make sure to plan ahead. You get to pick one every second level and the level cap is 25 (so last feat at 24), which means it doesn't hurt to plan things out in advance so you know what skill/attribute requirements you want to meet when. Make sure not to leave the good combat feats for end-game, you will be just making your life harder. Especially since if you do it right, the final section of the game is not particularly combat-heavy.
>>
>>332364815
He knows who he's making the game for, at least.

Would you like directions that are written down on your journal after you ask a certain NPC about them, or a gynormous glowing arrow on your ugly-ass hud-compass that marks the end of the quest from the moment you activate it?
If you're playing this, odds are you'll appreciate the Morrowind approach rather than the Oblivion.
>>
>>332365072
Go away, Prosper.
>>
>>332365072
>real fallout 3 isn't an RPG
It all makes sense now
>>
>>332363949

You know those areas that are so dark you can't see shit, least of all your character? Especially when sneaking. You'll be grateful for that pointless bright red compass then.
>>
File: 250520_2016-01-26_00002.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
250520_2016-01-26_00002.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>332356986
Because real life gets in the way of my vidya time. I have a solid 66 hours in it though and will be playing again soon. I just updated my PC so I've been playing graphics-intensive games recently for masturbation purposes.
>>
>>332365234
I just remember one or two situations where someone gave me some directions and I had to look in the chat log to find them again. Turned out I talked to too many people since then and they disappeared. I found it anyhow so it wasn't frustrating, but having the reference for future would be nice.
Also more signs would add immersion. I could only imagine that the people in this world would put up signs pointing to locations and the metro system would have them too. Not a lot and you don't even need to use them to get around, but it would make me happy to see them included in the world
>>
Because goddamnit I just want to be the sneaky stabby psycho-man and this game has SHIIIIIIT options for stealth-dodge-knife assassin builds.
>>
>>332365121
I'm not a hardcore crpg fan, but I want to be
you all know the feeling when you get excited to play the game and just take it a step at a time
>>
>>332365980
If you use traps and throwing it be manageable. I know just straight up knife builds blow though.
>>
>>332365945
I don't think more signs are out of question. The alpha didn't have them, so adding signs in the first place was one of those things that Styg accepted as valid criticism
>>
>>332365945
Can't really disagree. Not having a journal forces you to focus on one quest at a time which is positive as well as negative. You don't really want it to feel like a checklist.

The signposts I completely concur. Especially in fucking Core City, maybe some in the middle of nowhere just for a slight frame of reference.
>>
>>332356986

Because I got to City-City or whatever it was called and then quit because it was fucking awful. I went from killing rats to killing more rats to killing a guy dressed as a rat and that was plenty.
>>
>>332362341
Having no party members is actually what sold it for me. I'm the protagonist and I do/control everything. I think it's what separates itself from others in the general genre.
>>
>>332366095
We all have to start somewhere. However you are still very early in the game, so if you want to reroll this is the time to do it. It's up to you, just make sure you get more enjoyment out of it than frustration.
>>
File: ct.jpg (47 KB, 412x336) Image search: [Google]
ct.jpg
47 KB, 412x336
>>332366159
I go melee builds in games like these so I can stop blowing all my damn money on ammo for my guns or crossbows. The purpose is moot if I instead have to blow it all on caltrops, but even if I was willing to make that pointless trade, all I've ever heard is that stealth/dodge/knife builds fall off -hard- in late-game. It was everything I had to just get through the damn Junkyard; if that's not even the worst of it yet, then I don't want to see what is.

The whole experience just leaves you looking at this fucking cock-tease of a skill, wishing for a build that can never be viable.
>>
>>332366272
>not liking the Rathound King

But why.
>>
>>332366571
>get more enjoyment out of it than frustration
when I'm playing I swear to god I'm going to pop an artery
but when I'm not playing all I want to do is start the game up again
>>
>>332366891
Man, the game is too good up to the Deep Caverns for you not to bother trying shit like that. Just quit after you get to "the elevator". Most everyone says you're not really missing anything anyway.

Besides, you might always make a different character later.
>>
>>332366891
>The purpose is moot if I instead have to blow it all on caltrops
Oh, I never use caltrops. I meant mines and bear traps, which are mostly free since you can just disarm them and pick them up.
>all I've ever heard is that stealth/dodge/knife builds fall off -hard- in late-game
Yeah, that's why you have to supplement it. Enemies get more and more mechanical resistance towards the end of the game thanks to metal armor and the like. It's still difficult I'm sure even with carefully planned traps and throwing.
>>
>>332367123
Post-nerf DC was my favorite area in the game.
>>
>>332367286
DC is the best. Loved the feeling when I got there on my first character.
>>
>>332367286
Only played like half of it after a nerf (don't know if it's the only one, haven't touched the game in a while) and it still was a lot of guesswork and backtracking until I couldn't be bothered. It's perfectly fine once you figure out the safe zones and the "monster clock" but there's (was?) still not enough indication of what the hell you're supposed to be doing. Or worse, where.
>>
>>332367549
Yup, exactly. The atmosphere, the characters, exploring an abandoned research complex first by reading about it then gradually visiting the different sections, putting together the final missing pieces of the story, the new enemy types, the new environment design, the mutagen puzzle, I loved it all.

Well, "all". The mushroom forest was infuriating. But now that it's pretty much idiot-proof as far as I'm concerned DC is perfect.
>>
File: 1412088714578.png (27 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
1412088714578.png
27 KB, 128x128
>>332356986
I think im a bit too much of a casual. I get rekt by any encounter that isnt 2 creatures max and I don't think you can assemble a party
>>
>>332357294
>Pure
>Use 4 different things

Also psi on it's own works well enough so no reason using it with other stuff won't work, but psi doesn't go so hot with the other things, maybe just use melee for backup
>>
>>332362063
Fallout 2 a really true successor to fallout 1. It's better in nearly every way.
>>
>>332368162
Most common mistake is spreading your character too thin.

Pick an offensive skill (ideally 2 so you have a fallback), a defensive method and pump every point you have into those two (three) and buff the relevant stats (STR for melee, DEX for guns, etc). Grenades are a life-saver, especially early game, and you don't even need to invest that much (or at all) on the skill either. Just don't aim at your own feet.
>>
>>332368378
hope so
I wanted to get into the series but f1 was too boring for me
>>
>>332356986
It punished me quite a lot for fucking up a build, and I really don't feel like going through everything again.

I'm frankly quite glad that stat allocation isn't a big thing in RPGs anymore.

It's a shame too, because I legitimately enjoyed the setting.
>>
>>332368730
If you found 1 too boring, 2's probably not for you. Fair warning. It expands on nearly every sense but it's still basically the same game model.
>>
>>332367837
I can see how it can get confusing if you don't follow the optimal order, but even on my first playthrough the optimal order just felt obvious.

Six urges you to drop by the Faceless camp asap, and tells you its direction.
So you follow his directions, and probably notice that the timer is gone in Faceless-controlled zones.
Logical conclusion, start exploring from Faceless-controlled zones.
Leo's hideout is right next to the camp, so it makes sense to go there first.
Next one should be the power plant, especially if you tried one of the buildings and got the "no power" message.
After that you go to Caerus, because Faceless-controlled.
From there you either open the door back to the first area and go to the mushroom forest, or continue to the labyrinth. Either way, no debuff.
After looking up the solution to the forest, you can finally start exploring debuff areas, powered by rage because holy crap that was bullshit on the highest level.
By then, you probably picked up enough mutagen and door items to realize that you are supposed to be hoarding them, so you won't have to backtrack too much aside from analyzing the cans.

And that's it. My experience was that the game leads you through this section very well, and I'm not sure how people manage to miss it.
>>
>>332365980
what are you talking about? the game is perfectly viable as a knife character

i just finished the game with that build and there was not a single encounter that was too difficult to beat
>>
>>332362341
>-No party members
In FO1/2 stealth basically wasn't an option so you had companions to compensate. Underrail has a system focused around lone survival and stealth.
>-The story/setting suck
Shit opinion
>-Terrible UI
It's functional and a hell of a lot better than classic Fallout
>-No run option
I'll give you that but it's not that detrimental
>>
>>332368162
Use doorways. Melee enemies cant run past each other so stand in a doorway to fight one at a time. Set bear traps and calptrops. Sneak in and stealth grenade them
>>
>>332369146
I did the forest first (bitch of a fight against the heart-tree thingy, fuck me), then went and talked to the Faceless and followed through until you clear the factory that turns on the power to the buildings. I also installed something on the door that seemed unrelated but whatever. It was when I found i could only divert power to certain buildings and that I had to go and find what those were whether by canvassing the map or going online that I called it quits. Tbf, I'd already clocked up something like 100 hours into the game over 3 characters and was getting kinda burnt. Eh. I loved it that far and didn't want to end it on a sour note and seeing how people were complaining across the board, I'm content with the decision.
>>
>>332367265
you don't really need traps as a knife character. The overall knife damage is so disgustingly high that you don't really need anything any additional combat skill, though throwing is sometimes handy.

plus, expose weakness lets you burst down absolutely ANY enemy in 1 turn.

i bursted tchort in 2 turns.
>>
>>332369462
Well, he is not COMPLETELY wrong about the story as it basically boils down to gib mcguffin kthxbai, but together with the setting his is indeed a shit opinion to have.
>>
>>332359879
>>332359059
This is what happens when Indie Devs actually give a shit and want to make a genuinely good game.
>>
i'm interested, worth a pirate?
>>
>>332369986
He made a good call and hired more people too
>>332370192
Worth a purchase
>>
Finally someone revived the spark for Underrail on /v/. That beast is a great sleeper hit. It's great to see a game where mechanics got really worked up and synergizing well together. Hell, I got addicted to the way the trading system work. This game truly shine for people who invest in it and I'm glad the developer said fuck you to everyone and made what he truly wanted.

By the way, it is possible to do a Stealth/Trapper/Silent-SMG/Glass canon build with some throwing nades on the side.
>>
>>332370192
Yeah, definitely. It's not a game for everyone, but you don't have much to lose by giving it a go.
>>
>>332370298
waiting for a sale desu
>>
File: whichone.jpg (211 KB, 903x745) Image search: [Google]
whichone.jpg
211 KB, 903x745
just got to junktown

which one of these should i keep?
>>
File: amelia.png (822 KB, 1116x672) Image search: [Google]
amelia.png
822 KB, 1116x672
>>332370360
SMG glass canon one of the best builds in the game.
>>
>>332370360
>throwing nades on the side
Dude, "throwing nades on the side" with enough chemistry (just enough so you get Mk 4 frags) is pretty much the meat of every fight you want to end in a timely fashion. Especially combined with napalm mollies. Fuck, throwing is just too good.
>>
>>332370521
Depends on your max AP. If you can get in an extra shot with the K&H because of the 2 less AP then use it, otherwise use the other.
>>
>>332370521
store the left purple one in your house. It's a unique and (don't quote me on that) I think they are scaling with you during the game.
>>
>>332370527
Tchort bless Eidein for giving us Tchortist girls. They are literally perfect.
>>
>>332370637
Yes they are, that's why I just use them wisely and not spam it with the grenadier perk. My shit tho is the Quick Tinkering perk let you instantly setup any trap (cooldown 3 turn), fairly easy to have early game, you combo that with bear trap or poison bear trap and it fucking rock. You can make some insane pre-fight setup and continue to put some during the fight for lures.
>>
>>332370521
Better Crit damage is pretty important but the K&H has the Cat beat in every other category. Most important to you at this point is higher precision and better avg damage. Also, lower AP if it's enough to squeeze in an additional shot like the other guy suggests.
>>
the carnifex fight as a gun user is bullshit

crippling strike can suck my feminine penis
>>
>>332371016
the steel cat has 2 extra burst shots though, i think im gonna sell it anyway
>>
I'm going to wait until the inevitable director's cut to come out.
>>
nice game
nice thread
>>
>>332370742
i like how there's no romances in the game but instead some occasional flirting and seducing with some characters.
>>
>>332371753
You know, I completely missed that but I don't think it'd be enough to sway my opinion. At low levels (especially if you're not maxxing your guns skill (which you should be)) you gotta be able to hit stuff, especially with SMGs and their shitty range. Also, as you point out, you could probably use the dough.
>>
>>332371827
And what the dick should be included in the hypothetical Director's Cut aside from Underrail?
>>
File: 200_s[1].gif (35 KB, 267x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s[1].gif
35 KB, 267x200
>>332372125
>yfw after you seduce the lady in the Foundry
>>
>>332372125
Knowing Styg's sense of humor, we probably don't want to know what kind of romance he'd implement.
>>
>>332372685
Saya No Uta inspired sidequest pls
>>
Enjoying underrail a lot thus far. Simultaneously playing serpent in the staglands, too. Speaking of which, are there any resources for serpent in the staglands other than the dev's site and the shitty guides on steam? I've been searching for a wiki or more detailed readme but have come up empty handed.
>>
File: 1456879301991.gif (2 MB, 189x392) Image search: [Google]
1456879301991.gif
2 MB, 189x392
my latest character is a hard difficulty, no health lost, psionic god that is waiting for update.
>>
>>332372803
One day you wake up and everyone but Ezra is a mutie.

Oh wait.
>>
>>332362341
Companions in F1/2 sucked anyway.
>>
>>332375153
We an' I be glad to fuck you up.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.