[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this fucking thing supposed to be scary? So far nothing has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: soma[1].jpg (143 KB, 713x944) Image search: [Google]
soma[1].jpg
143 KB, 713x944
Is this fucking thing supposed to be scary? So far nothing has been scary in this, and the only enemies I encountered have been a big disco ball on leg that followed me making weird noises, and a fat guy with a disco ball in place of his head who kills you by chromatic aberration if you look at it. You've got to be kidding me.

The gaming journos told me this was going to be scary, but it isn't in the slightest. Fucking Bioshock was scarier than this and also had better graphics and was also more optimized.
>>
>>332346895
>Believing in gaming journalism

C'mon Anon, I know your better than this.
>>
Also I forgot to mention that playing as a nonchalant asshole main character is not really helping with immersion.
>>
It focuses on existential horror, the enemies are kinda just placed around because they didn't want to make a litteral walking sim.
>>
Soma is definitely the least scary game made by these dudes.
However, it's also my favorite because of how interesting and cool it is.
>>
>>332347047
>nonchalant

I don't think you know what that means, he's basically the opposite the majority of the game, also there is a very important reason for his simple spectrum of emotion.
>>
>>332346895
its funny.
i went in thinking it was gonna be like amnesia
it wasn't, by the end it scared me with the whole questioning what is human, what is real shit.

you experience it once and then at the end of the game you experience it again, but this time you aren't asleep or whatever you were at the mid point and the real terror sets in.

you achieve your goal, but it's not what you wanted.
>>
File: firefox_2016-03-29_01-46-15.png (441 KB, 373x720) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-03-29_01-46-15.png
441 KB, 373x720
>>332346895
I don't believe so. I really loved it, even though your character is a complete MORON who doesn't understand basic concepts when explained and demonstrated multiple times. But it wasn't scary, just interesting. Rifters-ish: the game
>>
>>332347804
He's literally not complex enough to understand or change emotionally, this complaint doesn't make sense after finding out that you are the first scan ever, and that you're used as a simple test for students.
>>
>>332349064
He is his exact copy. He's not inferior in any way. That is the point of the game. He's just amazingly dumb.
>>
>>332349459
And selfish. Not happy that another him will live basically forever in happiness.
>>
>>332349064
What are you even saying. That his brain is not complex enough to learn new information? Well somehow he learned who the chick was, how to use the computers, he learned that monsters are bad, he learned his objectives, but somehow he didn't learn the simple fact that your mind is not transferred, but copied.
>>
>>332349540
and you would be fucking thrilled about it if you were in the same shoes
>>
Amnesia was an experiment in horror
Gaming that ultimately failed. It was a fluke and not a sign of a successful formula.
>>
>>332347804
Simon is like that character in shows that respond to even the most basic scientific explainations with "In English, please?" Sort of a window character trait.

The guy was just a photographer with a laptop. Why would he know anything like that?
>>
>>332349698

He doesn't have a brain, he is an ai based on the first brain scan ever. He is extraordinarily simple. He can work computers because none of them are beyond pressing like two buttons or waving the magic space remote, and he learns basically only a handful of names if we include station names.
>>
>>332349459
It's explained that his original copy that you start out in at the station is simple, something very limited and used by students but not 'anyone respectable'

Every copy made through out the game is exact but that's because the technology is advanced enough to do so, but it's all translation. Trash in trash out.
>>
SOMA is really not scary.
It doesn't even come close to the scares or atmosphere that Amnesia had.
>>
File: 1430283171552.jpg (4 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1430283171552.jpg
4 KB, 184x184
I enjoyed it for what it was. There were some spooky bits here and there but the best thing about the game was the atmosphere and the sense of sympathy you gain for the main character and his plight.

There are a couple parts that were fairly frustrating. Like that advanced depth-suit proxy towards the end of the game. Other than that the game plays itself mostly. Easily my favorite game by Paradox.

Soma>Penumbra>Amnesia:TDD>Amnesia:MFP
>>
>>332352286
Horror wasn't really the point though
The atmosphere is good, not terribly spooky
The horror bits are shit and unnecessary
But the main story and themes are pretty good
>>
>>332349540
that's the whole purpose of the game, the ship of theseus argument.

I don't know why anyone would believe anything other than what actually happens in the game though. The other people on the station were retarded.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.