[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Psychonauts 2, guys. Psychonauts wasn't a part of my childhood.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: psychnt2.jpg (190 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
psychnt2.jpg
190 KB, 1280x720
Psychonauts 2, guys.

Psychonauts wasn't a part of my childhood. I just beat it recently, and it's one of the most interesting and creative games I've ever played. The whole debacle around Pnauts 2 has led me to realize that, despite the game's ending, a lot of people don't really even want a sequel, or something. Since everyone's mad at Schafer, let's hear /v/ give their thoughts

Personally, i think a sequel is more than warranted but there are a thousand ways Double Fine will be given the opportunity to purposefully fuck it up
>>
So what even happened to psychonauts 2? Everything just got dead silent after the thing was funded
>>
>>332347516
Basically people got pissed at schafer's crowdfunding habits
>>
File: 1455478952842.jpg (124 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1455478952842.jpg
124 KB, 500x375
>>332346507
I personally played it for the first time just last fall myself, and it was a neat experience. Kinda regret not checking it out back in the days.

I find the ending of original be good enough reason for a sequel. There's been a huge lack of 3D collectathons in past decade already.

Also, more of the best girl is always a good thing.

>>332347516
Being worked on, I'd assume. There's clearly nothing to show yet, and some devs also don't want to spoil too much before the release.
>>
>>332346507
Psychonauts 1 was good because Schafer was hardly involved in it, the fat fuck just put his name on the game.
>>
>>332346507
I think a lot of people wanted a sequel not in the literal sense, but in the "more like this" sense. Even if you include the ending, it's really not a game that screams for a sequel. It might have left the door open, so to speak, but it was far from a cliff-hanger. To me, the ending felt more like a "and then they lived happily ever after" scenario, with Raz fulfilling his dream.

Anyway, I'll just wait for the game to come out before I bother any further with it. I have zero trust in Double Fine these days, and even less in Tim. If it turns out good, that's great. If not, I really don't give a shit.
>>
>>332346507
>Psychonauts wasn't a part of my childhood.
No shit. It came out in fucking 2005.
>>
File: 1411284365063.jpg (147 KB, 504x647) Image search: [Google]
1411284365063.jpg
147 KB, 504x647
>>
>>332347516
the projected release date isn't for like another 3 years or something
>>
>>332349795
reminder that kids born in 1998 are 18 today.
For all we could know, OP might've been 7yo back in 2005.
>>
File: psychonauts.jpg (217 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
psychonauts.jpg
217 KB, 960x1280
I'm not going to back the game, but if it turns out good, I'll buy it. I loved Psychonauts and still love my signed copy.
>>
>>332346507
>a lot of people don't really even want a sequel
You're either underage, barely 18, or on drugs, people have been asking for a Psychonauts 2 since ever
>>
>>332347516

Schafer got the money and is probably having the time of his life, he's basically using kickstarter as his own personal money printer/ATM
>>
I played Psychonauts for the first time last year, and it was the first Steam game I actually wanted to 100%. 9.9/10, would be perfect if the cutscenes weren't locked to a shit resolution.
>>
>>332350769
For some reason, I was able to 100% the PC version, but could never beat the Meat Circus on PS2, despite mouse and keyboard being a lousy control scheme for 3D platformers.
>>
>>332351007
Meat Circus was pretty challenging. KB+M didnt help. Did you play the PS2 version when you were younger? Maybe that's why.
>>
>>332351007
they put more check points in the pc version
>>
>>332351326
I pirated the PC version in 2005 and finished it. Some point later, I bought a PS2 copy because I really liked the game, but by 2005/2006 we already starting to see stores phase out physical PC versions. Then years later I played the PS2 version and wasn't able to beat the Meat Circus; it was specifically the bit where you have to grind down a bunch of rails.
>>
>>332351816
But that was years later, in the Steam update that added achievements. Before that it was the same on any platform.
>>
File: 1453771501274.jpg (195 KB, 900x697) Image search: [Google]
1453771501274.jpg
195 KB, 900x697
>>332351007
>Meat Circus
>Mouse and Keyboard
God I don't know where I found the patience for that shit
>>
>>332351858
That's bizarre, Anon. It makes no sense.

I know the bit you're talking about; I swear I have the specific wrist flicking motion embedded in my brain somewhere. Spent fucking ages on it, almost lost my mind
>>
on the one hand, i loved psychonauts, i'm deeply upset that the 3D platformer genre died a death, and i want both back

on the other hand, i would never do this 'investing in a game bullshit', i'll never see a return, and i'm not prepared to hand over money for this (it's pretty expensive to actually a copy, in comparison to other crowdfunding games)

on the third proverbial hand, i think broken age act 2 was proof that schafer has finally run out of writing talent. i'm not convinced that psychonauts 2 will be anywhere near as well-written as the first game, even if it is better in other ways.
>>
>>332351858
>>332352545
>rail grinding bit
>not the 180 degrees jump around the burning net bit
Fucker had me closer to tears.
>>
>>332352761
>on the third proverbial hand
Kek.

I agree. I almost wish P2 was called something different, to not sully the IP's good name. Quit while you're ahead and all that.

>>332352859
Shit, that's what I meant. Isn't that bit on rails too? It's been a while.
>>
I got it for free from like a Humble Bundle and refuse to play it because of Tim
>>
>>332346507
I want a sequel and I think a lot of people who played Psychonauts want one too.

/v/ is really the only place pissed off because they have a hate boner for Tim Schafer.

Protip: If you don't trust him with your money then you didn't have to support his kickstarter, it was pretty obvious that it was going to get its funding without your help.

I didn't support it but I plan on buying it because I don't trust Tim Schafer to stick to the budget or schedule (or the sales projections if you chose to be an investor) but that extra time and effort is what causes the games he works on to end up being good.
>>
>>332353157
Shit anon. I don't know much about Tim but Psychonauts is a fucking great game. You're missing out
>>
>>332353157
you should play it, it's from tim's 'i have talent' phase that lasted from around 1993 to around 2011
>>
>>332353096
I've beaten the game three times, twice before the Steam achievements were added. After keeping baby Coach safe for the first half of the level, you enter an obstacle course. I don't remember exactly, but there's a lot of rail grinding, a few bounces, and the net climbing. You're not on rails while climbing, for obvious reasons. But while this is all happening, the level is flooded with water so you have to be quick.
>>
>>332353408
I would say it lasted until 2005. After Psychonauts, the next several games Double Fine put out were made by other staff members. Costume Quest and Stacking, both of which I really enjoyed, had almost no involvement from Schafer.
>>
>>332352545
>That's bizarre, Anon. It makes no sense.
I know. You can imagine my surprise, confusion, and frustration at being unable to beat a game I had already beaten. Especially since areas I had trouble with before were a breeze with a controller.
>>
>>332350389
>PS2 version
>>
>>332353691
>the net
That's what I meant, though I spent ages on the rail section at the beginning as well because of fucking figments
>>
>>332347516
Got funded isn't supposed to be released until 2018 or 19
>>
>>332354259
Fuck some of those figments... I remember running around the Napoleon level for ages, looking for the last few. They were almost impossible to spot from a distance, since the level was so bright and their outlines so thin. Thankfully they all have specific spots in the collection book, so you can just look in a guide for where figment 2-3 on page 5 is, or whatever. But I was really glad I finally got my 101%.
>>
>>332354085
Maybe you were playing it too much. Generally speaking, I often find myself reaching a max level of skill and then getting worse after playing for too long, for whatever reason. You'd probably beat it now if you went back to it.
>>
>>332351007
>despite mouse and keyboard being a lousy control scheme for 3D platformers.
I've weirdly been able to manage this on my laptop with only the trackpad and keyboard, but there are certain things that are practically impossible.

I still can't finish that punching minigame in Coach Oleander's level. I've got everything else that's before the Meat Circus, all the figments, safes, webs, and emotional baggages.

Would a controller make it possible or is just hard no matter what?
>>
>>332354696
Fuck same here. Bounced around for fucking ages in that level. Same with the bull Spanish level because it was coloured so strangely. Figments are fucked.

>101%
U wot?
>>
>>332354807
Apparently it's slightly easier with a controller but its fucking hard with a regular KB+M.

Trackpad would be practically impossible.
>>
>>332346507

Holy fucking shit, why do people think that Psychnoauts ended on a cliffhanger? It ended at status quo. A super secret world protection agency of telekinetic spies fly off on a new mission, everyone is well prepared for this mission.

It's like saying that every Mission Impossible ends on a cliffhanger because Tom Smooze has a new mission to save the world.

If everyone died and the only one left to save the planet was Raz, then it would be a cliffhanger; but instead all of the councelers are prepped and ready to save the world WITH RAZ. The world is even better off than ever now that Coach McGurk is gone.

Psychonauts 2 is going to be terrible and saying that it is justified by the ending of 1 is ignorant and stupid.
>>
>>332355021
I've got as far as the missing targets makes you lose points stage. Missing just once makes me lose my rhythm and it all falls apart.

I might have to look up how someone did it the sane way and adapt it to my setup.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.