[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm about to play this for the first time. I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7
File: 72214-metal-gear-solid-5.png (508 KB, 478x600) Image search: [Google]
72214-metal-gear-solid-5.png
508 KB, 478x600
I'm about to play this for the first time.

I don't know anything about this game. I've only played Snake Eater.

What am I in for?
>>
The worst game ever made.
>>
Ehhhhh, I could try to explain things but I dont feel like it
>>
boring shit game
>>
A mediocre game too much praised by shills around here.

I mean, it's not shit, but just a 6.5/10 game.
>>
File: 1455677310900.gif (314 KB, 497x378) Image search: [Google]
1455677310900.gif
314 KB, 497x378
>>332333752
>I've only played Snake Eater.

ohboyherewego
>>
>>332333937
I also got Bloodbourne and the Drake Trilogy.

Are those games better?
>>
Excellent gameplay with a great start, only to go way downhill in the story part right after chapter 1. You'll notice that it also feels incomplete after ''finishing'' the game.
>>
>>332334035
Bloodborne, perhaps.
>>
>>332334035
I'm a pc fag, beat bb with a friend's ps4 and I loved it. Excelent game. Too bad its exclusive, but well, shit happens.
>>
A fun, arcade, simple stealth shooter.
>>
>>332333752
For the sake of your own sanity, play Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes before you so much as touch Phantom Pain. You will be completely fucking lost otherwise. In fact, you should play the entire series (except Metal Gear 1 and 2; you can just read the text synopses if you want) before jumping into Phantom Pain.
>>
>>332333752
Imagine Snake eater. But instead of a very detailed game with with lots of little things to discover, you get fucking massive with that had no effort put into it at all.
>>
Anyone who says the story is shit is an idiot

I'm not even memeing, Kojima did what he could with Konami's weird harrassment. Arguably the most challenging part of writing a Metal Gear game is having it fit in with the chronology, which is already messy due to the weird release schedule. When people saw this as the link between PW and MG1/2, they expected some enormous conclusion and crazy over the top finale, but that isn't the case. You knew from the beginning that Big Boss (even before we knew about Venom) would live, because he's alive in MG1/2. A better explanation could've been given as to why he went from charismatic military leader to literal dictator, but I think there's a good degree of things left unsaid, because completely painting out the picture is just ridiculous and would diminish the nuance this series can have (nuance alongside over the top drama and action, it's why this is such a fun series in the first place)
>>
>>332334643
So what you're trying to say is that the story isn't shit? because the story really is shit.
>>
>>332333752

A highly enjoyable disappointment.
>>
>>332333752
>I don't know anything about this game.
You will love it.
>>
>>332334821
Why is it shit
Also I was trying not to spoil things for OP
>>
>>332333752
Ignore /v/'s vocal minority, mostly made up of butt hurt teens who ran through the series last summer.

I personally think the game is solid, excuse the pun. It just lacks any meaningful narrative.
>>
>>332334567
>except Metal Gear 1 and 2
nigga
>>
File: scootpeegram.gif (880 KB, 500x269) Image search: [Google]
scootpeegram.gif
880 KB, 500x269
>>332334858
I think this honestly sums it up perfectly.

It's gameplay is 10/10. It's story will leave you feeling you got kicked in the balls for all eternity.

But if you don't know much about the lore of MGS, then you probably won't mind.
>>
>>332334035
Bloodborne's great, my favorite game ever. Worthy buying my PS4 for.

Traded the digital code I had for Drake collection as I have all three on PS3 already, 1 and 3 were kind of shitty from what I remember but 2 is pretty good. Got Blops 3 for PS4 which is surprisingly okay dumb fun.
>>
>>332335138
I'll try and keep it short.
Quiet was completely pointless.
The ''vocal parasite'' was just stupid and dumb.
The hilariously awkward car ride with Skullface.
Ocelot being extremely boring and dull in the game which is very unusual considering he's always the enjoyable unpredictable oddball in the other games.
Unfinished plot (Eli)
The ''twist'' which was just plain dumb and added absolutely nothing to the series apart from fix a small minor plot-hole which no MGS fan seemed to care about.
The lack of Zero.
That's to name a few.

Gameplay was great though.
>>
>>332335584
>10/10 gameplay
how the fuck is going through a empty open world 10/10 gameplay
its mediocre
>>
File: 1408276340623.jpg (51 KB, 576x460) Image search: [Google]
1408276340623.jpg
51 KB, 576x460
>>332333752
>Only played Snake Eater.
>What am I in for?

A world of disappointment.
>>
>>332335998
>same shitty anti-open world posters
Not every open world is there for you to explore and roam around, shitdick.
>>
File: Tactical Helecopter Operations.jpg (103 KB, 540x675) Image search: [Google]
Tactical Helecopter Operations.jpg
103 KB, 540x675
>>332335584
>It's gameplay is 10/10.

Can we quite honestly, no bias, no fanboyism discuss this?

How is it 10/10 gameplay? Okay, I understand, the stealth is solid. Compared to the usual AAA garbage like Dishonored, this is the first good Stealth game since, like, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

But here's the deal:
It's the same shit, over and over again. Every single camp you do the same shit. You establish your personal way to clear a camp, and you repeat that for the ENTIRE GAME. You're not cleverly forced or encouraged to deal with situations in new and interesting ways.
Sure, you can get creative on your own, but fuck dude, I've got other games to play, I work 6 days a week and got shit to do IRL as well, you're going to expect players to just sit down in a time chamber to get in the mood to slowly autismal some self-imposed challenges into the game? Shit's rated M for mature, only kids got that kind of time.

Aside from all that, it doesn't even matter how good the stealth mechanics are, because in the end of the day, NPCs are batshit stupid, and completely lack any sort of dynamic behavior.

And I haven't even touched on pic related, or the fact that act 2 is just a repeat of Act 1 missions, and devoid of an actual bossfight.

Not to mention, sure it's off the topic from the gameplay itself, but the plot is an unfinished, disappointing mess. Shit like that can and will distract from whatever good gameplay they could come up with.
>>
y do i get fps drops when shadows on extra high. doesnt look all that demanding.
>>
>>332336945
People mean the design and mechanics when the say "gameplay".

You not liking how said gameplay is utilized is your own problem.
>>
>>332336012
Everything about your post is fucking garbage. Kill yourself.
>>
File: I am at a loss for words.gif (2 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
I am at a loss for words.gif
2 MB, 350x197
>>332337246
>You not liking how said gameplay is utilized is your own problem.

Yeah, because that's totally how it works, anon. You sure won this discussion.

>Gameplay is good even if it's utilized badly.

Yes. Yes, obviously. How could I have been so blind. All my life I've judged entertainment in the wrong way. When you strip away the complete product and take one thing by itself, and you see that it's good, that redeems the entire product.

Thank you anon. I've learned so much today.
>>
>>332337817
You first noted the repetitiveness of the mission types. You clearly missed the point so yeah, it is your fault.

The missions are made for the player to flex all options if they so choose. If you run straight to the objective every time with no variability then I can only blame you as a player, not the game.
>>
File: cheech_and_chong.jpg (31 KB, 450x298) Image search: [Google]
cheech_and_chong.jpg
31 KB, 450x298
>>332333752
Depending on you HDTV, an amazing experience that falls apart.
>>
>>332335584
>It's gameplay is 10/10.
10/10 mechanics is not the same as 10/10 gameplay.

If the levels are crap, having 1,000,001 ways to deal the situations just feel repetitive and boring.
>>
>>332333851
First post is /thread

Well done
>>
>>332338578
The levels are crap to you because your insatiable need to obsess over the openness of the game takes away from the actual gameplay.
>>
>>332333752
Promising in it's beginnings, but it can't keep those promises in the Ende. Online is somewhat fun though.
>>
>>332333752
Put it down after chapter 1 has ended, don't bother with chapter 2 it's a waste of time.
>>
>>332333752
Cool at first, then you get to the free roaming part and you feel cooler, by the time you get to the Mother base and then back to the free roam map, it's all downhill.

Copy and pasted missions.
>>
Spoilers.
>>
>>332340241
go back to your daryl dixon threads faggot
>>
>>332333752

Some dude in the desert attaching balloons into enemies belts and teleporting them to his own base.

Comes with a semi naked sniping mule

He's not what he thinks he is

Basically fulton pain
>>
>>332333752
wouldnt listen to most people in here.. i enjoyed it.
>>
>>332338254
Or perhaps they could have come up with a variety of different ,creative missions to keep the player engaged. Tools get boring really fast when you don't have anything interesting to use them on.
>>
Since you're not heavily invested in the series and characters you might enjoy it solely for the gameplay but it's pretty stupid to play without having any context. Though ou might like it better since the series is so heavy and story and this finale doesn't have one.
>>
>>332338937
Level and mission design are a part of gameplay. mgsv is lacking in both areas.
>>
>>332343502
To be fair Pitch Dark and Traitor's Caravan were bretty good. Then the prologue, Hellbound, Voices, Codetalker, Skullface, Sally boss fight and Shining Lights were fucking excellent. If only every mission in the game retained the quality of these. The game truly would be GOAT.
>>
>>332344225
Honestly you'll enjoy the story more if you aren't a fan of the series. The only thing it will do is infuriate a fan of mgs.
>>
>>332334567

>except Metal Gear 1 and 2

Oh, honey.
>>
>>332344370
Too bad half the fucking missions were "Interrogate one guard and kill / rescue the guy with the big marker on his head"
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.