[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a PSU degrade over time? Can it cause the PC to shut down
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1334783580160.gif (2 MB, 290x261) Image search: [Google]
1334783580160.gif
2 MB, 290x261
Can a PSU degrade over time? Can it cause the PC to shut down because of lack of power?

I used to have no problems running games during two first years of using my PC(bought around 2007-2008) but after that more and more games(even old ones, like from the 90s old) have started to turn my PC off. What's the cause of that? PSU? I have cleaned my PC inside so I don't think it's because of overheating.
>>
Double-check with a CPU heat monitoring program. I had the same problem and blamed everything on the PSU, but it turned out that my CPU reached 70-80C while gaming and spiked to 120C before shutting down.
>>
>>332314153
>can

PSU does degrade over time. As in, amount of power you have to work with. Which is why buying bare minimum PSU is always a bad idea.
>>
Every piece of hardware degrades overtime.
>>
>>332314668
What program would you recommend?

>>332314767
I know that, that's why I think it's PSU, but I've heard many other things could be at fault.

>>332314850
Yeah, but for me it was just after two years, so I don't think that's normal. I don't want to replace every part, so I made this thread because other people may have had the same problem and maybe someone could help.
>>
>>332315173
>Yeah, but for me it was just after two years, so I don't think that's normal
Depends on the quality of the PSU. if it is some bargain bin bronze 80+ shit, then 2 years seems appropiate. never go below gold efficiency.
>>
>>332314153
Shutting down under load? Check yo temps nig.
>>
>>332315173
MSI Afterburner is pretty good, it can show a bunch of other stuff as well.
>>
>>332315359
Except that kept happening even with games my PC had no problem with.
>>
>>332316913
Doesn't have to have a problem with 'em. Temps go near the limit and it'll shut down in order not to fry itself. Easy.
If the temps are unusually high on idle it's a bingo.
If not, I don't kno. Ask /g/ or whatever? Just don't tell them you're from here.
>>
>>332314153
I've literally just replaced my PSU, it was shutting down my computer after about 20 minutes of gaming, especially in high end games.

My rig is about a year old and I suspect my 550v PSU was the minimum I needed to run an i5 with a gtx 970. Thankfully if anything is going to wrong on your rig, I'd say the PSU could he the easiest to replace and one of the cheapest
>>
>>332317534
I wanted to ask /g/ but it seems like they have a "/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site" rule. I think I will still try to ask them though, that problem really is a pain for me.
>>
>>332317984
There's a thread for stupid questions, my nigga.
Just don't go there (or anywhere else for that matter) and make yourself the centre of the whole board, right?
>>
>>332317978
I highly doubt your PSU needs 550 volt.
>>
>>332318320
Ok, I will check it out.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.