[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gentlemen, how do we revive the arcade industry?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: 8504179596_4c71bb205f_z.jpg (190 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
8504179596_4c71bb205f_z.jpg
190 KB, 640x480
Gentlemen, how do we revive the arcade industry?
>>
More iPhone games
>>
LAN bars.

Hook up your PC, and get desk service.

Bar food, bar drinks, leagues, tournaments, all local.
>>
I don't know if arcades will ever come back in the west, but I'm wondering if we'll see something similar if VR gets big.
>>
File: gwJSki4.jpg (72 KB, 612x816) Image search: [Google]
gwJSki4.jpg
72 KB, 612x816
>>332302270
>>
>>332302453
one customer with an eye infection will shut it down
>>
>>332302154
Why are those DDR pads so close to the main cabinet?
>>
>>332303950
Because that's how they always are? Pretty close, with a bar behind you for MAXIMUM SPEED.
>>
Don't worry, there's always Dave & Busters and their dozens of >>332303172 literal-app-games-turned-into-arcade-machines.

And sometimes hot shit like this http://mynintendonews.com/2015/10/14/luigis-mansion-arcade-is-spreading-across-the-us/
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/07/22/pokken-tournament-will-have-a-location-test-at-dave-busters-in-us/
>>
Make it cool for grandpas and grandmas to go to the arcade.
>>
VR arcades.
>>
>>332302154
I think they're slowly coming back between places like Round 1, Barcades, and other Retro Arcades.
>>
>>332302154
You won't, barcades have taken over that market and are essentially pick-up spots for normalfags who think they're different because the place has a few machines in the back nobody actually uses. Kids don't play games anymore they watch others play games on youtube, didn't you get the memo?
>>
>>332303546
Thanks, now I'm never going to play another Silent Scope game.
>>
File: bigbox_tokyo8[1].jpg (116 KB, 575x385) Image search: [Google]
bigbox_tokyo8[1].jpg
116 KB, 575x385
But it's not dead.
>>
If you win the game you get a chance to get a large sum of money

You also have to spend money every time you lose

The twist is the game is almost completely RNG based
>>
add strippers
>>
give me a round1 in san antonio and I'll singlehandedly cover all its costs playing there
>>
>>332302154
Quit filling them with shitty racing and shooting games that cost $1.25 per credit. Nobody wants to pay that when they can download the same quality of games on their phone for free.
>>
Go live in Japan, that is your only chance at arcades.
>>
>>332304602
>The twist is the game is almost completely RNG based
So it's like every other prize game already in use.
>>
>>332305141
thatsthejoke.rar
>>
>>332304162
Yeah, DB is actually not quite bad.

At least one of the two locations around me has a fuckton of lightgun games (including HOTD 3/4 and TC 5) and some racing games, even with all the mobile/ticket shit around. No fighting games as far as I can see, but Pokken could change that.
>>
>>332302154
Another thread? You just made one hours ago.
>>
The arcades of the 90s were already running on fumes and were essentially horribly run down drug running fronts.
I think /v/ is just honestly too young to remember how seedy they were.
>>
>>332305361
I posted in the last thread, but I didn't make it.
>>
>>332304591
We're referring to western arcades.

Japan's arcade industry is actually well developed and is in no way going to shit.
>>
>>332305470
They're still running on fumes now, the few that exist make their money off alcohol, not games. If you do decide to play the games, you'll be overpaying so unless there's some niche Japanese arcade game you really, really want to play (and the location close to you actually has it), it's not worth it. Not to mention the atmosphere is fucked thanks to the fact that it isn't really an arcade, but that's more of a subjective thing and will never return anyway.
>>
>>332305574
It's the people that determine what is alive in their country.

For example, in America we prefer malls and movie theaters over arcades.
>>
I feel like VR might bring back arcades. Not everyone wants to drop $800 for a Vive, but if an arcade had a couple and a decent computer connected I'm sure there'd be plenty of demand.
>>
Put league of legends in it
>>
>>332305517
Oh, shit. Carry on then, last one got derailed by bare feet.
>>
>>332304959
this
>>
>>332304224
By building Wii-based custom cabinets that have Wii Sports pre-installed?
>>
>>332306065
Shit, that idea's pretty good. I know I'd go to a VR arcade.
>>
But why would you even do that?
>>
The government gotta switch $1 from bills to coins.
>>
>>332302154
What would be a better sales model for an arcade, including maintenance, ect.?

>Pay an entrance fee; Everything is free to play
>Free entry; all machines take coins/tokens
>>
>>332308717
We have 1 dollar coins
>>
>>332308932
The former lead to arcade games being quarter eaters. The latter seems like a better choice IMO.
>>
>>332309024
How often do you see them? I use one in like two years.
>>
>>332308932
You'll probably have to do more market research, but I find places can suck the most money from me by putting in games that are fun as hell and eat quarters easily, but only cost one quarter (like house of the dead). I remember spending $5 on HOTD1 in like 30 minutes the first time I played it.
>>
>>332309562
True, Personally I found having 100/500 yen coins to be more convenient then 1 and 5 dollar bills.
>>
Is it too much to have an Initial D machine near me?
>>
>pay to play games you can play for free in your home, but now surrounded by smelly fat manchildren

woah...
>>
>>332302154
Arcades are fucking shameless cash grabs, you're just blinded by nostalgia
>>
Why have arcades in Japan thrived in their major metropolitan areas, while in the US in cities like New York and Philadelphia they are almost impossible to find.

I live in Philadelphia, and our closest thing to an arcade is Dave and Busters, fuck our biggest tourist attractor is pubs and food. We don't even have a nintendo store :(
>>
>>332310586
cultural. In the US people would rather spend their time playing basket ball or football being barbaric and rude.
>>
File: 1449499036744.jpg (257 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
1449499036744.jpg
257 KB, 1200x800
>considering making a MAME cab
>would cost upwards of $500 and many hours of hard labor
>want to buy racing wheels, flight sticks, and gun peripherals to make arcade ports feel more right
>realize it won't be the same without friends to play with or a bunch of other games around
The dream feels dead. Does anyone here have a MAME machine? Is it worth it?

Did anyone here buy a dedicated cab? Where do you keep it and how expensive is it to maintain? I want to buy HOTD1/2 but after much research I've learned they are very expensive to maintain if things break
>>
File: ayylmao.png (914 KB, 902x552) Image search: [Google]
ayylmao.png
914 KB, 902x552
>>332306065
This is pretty plausible. VR is the kind of thing I'd like to check out but something I wouldn't want to purchase for myself, at least until it gets much cheaper.
>>
I think arcades could see a revival if they introduce more competitive games. Get rid of the appstore tier racing and shooting games... put in more fighters, rhythm games, 1v1 sort of stuff.

I want to go to an arcade and get in line to fight that one guy who just reams opponent after opponent.
>>
>>332306065
The D&B near me actually did do this to showcase a VR set (forgot what it was but it wasn't Rift/Vive). They set up a dance floor sized stage where you actually had to walk around and point and shoot zombies. It was cool, but $5 for about 5 min of play.
>>
Think I've actually been to that arcade
>>
>>332302154
>Tell Raw Thrills to fuck off
>Tell rigged prize game makers to fuck off
>Tell mobile game arcade makers to fuck off
>Get rid of every Big Buck Hunting machine
>Get rid of every Golden Tee machine
>In movie theaters/malls, put in 100-game MAME cabinets
>>
>>332304418
>barcades

God those places suck. I went with some friends thinking it would be a chill place to drink beer and play games. but it was just an extremely loud and crowded bar with a couple machines. You couldn't even enjoy the games because it was so crowded and obnoxious in there.
>>
>>332304602
They have those. They're called "video gaming & poker" places. They are popping up like crazy where I live. It's just video slots and video poker type games though and only brings in the gambling type crowds.
>>
>>332308932
let the customer decide how they want to pay, just give them fair options. modern arcades use an electronic token/card system so it's easy to implement varying payment plans
>>
>>332302154

The same way we saved bodville, in that we don't, it was a way of entertainment in the past that has seen its best days gone by, and a few will only stick around due to dedication and nostalgia alone.

It makes no sense to go in and pump endless quarters into a machine that is designed to fuck you over after a certain amount of game play just to make you put in more quarters when you can play the same games for free on a phone/home computer.

The social aspect is dead due to phones too, you want them to come back you gotta kill the cell phone.

They are gone with the exception of private arcades in personal homes.
>>
>>332310586
When chinatown fair closed you knew arcades were dead. They opened a new location and its mainly street fighter+ cardgame store it just isnt the same without the machines.
>>
>>332302154
You don't, there isn't enough population density or draw for arcade-only games.

every arcade these days is just chuck e cheese, filled with annoying fucking kids.

Most of the experience can be gotten from home now, so there's literally no point for these places to exist.
>>
>>332312994
>Raw Thrills
Who dat?
>>
>>332313039
The few gaming lan/barcades I've been to have been pretty sweet.

Definitely louder than the home environment, which can be a little off-putting.

>crowded
d-don't go on friday/saturday nights?
>>
>>332316779
arcades were dead for most people long before chinatown fair closed
>>
i wish playdium had more fightan games than ssf4AE and tekken 6
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.