[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you want to see settlement building in the next TES game,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 28
File: TESV 2016-03-27 20-44-56-38.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TESV 2016-03-27 20-44-56-38.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Do you want to see settlement building in the next TES game, or would it make it too much like Fallout with Swords?
>>
>>332297409
No. It was shit in Fallout 4 and barely worked half the time.

Keep the interior decorating aspect of it, that was nice, but the building aspects were terrible.

I'll take something like Hearthstone over it any day.

But it's pretty much a given that it will be included in the next TES game.
>>
>>332297409
yes

settlement building in the TES aesthetic would be 100x more comfier than it is in fallout
>>
>>332297409
I hope Bethesda just quits screwing with TES. Let it die, Todd.
>>
it suits the theme of fallout, because the series has always been about people picking up the pieces after the apocalypse and starting to rebuild. letting the player throw up their own settlements was a nice idea with maybe not the best execution.

but the last thing i want to see from the next TES game is only two or three actual towns, and then a few dozen shitty little settlements populated by generic "settlers" which only exist for the player to customize. leave settlement building to modders, focus on making every town and village detailed with unique NPCs and handcrafted features.

i'm fully expecting an attitude of "we want the minecraft audience" to win out in the end, though.
>>
>>332298532
They should keep the decoration aspect, basically take FO4's system and use it for interior decorating
>>
>>332297409
>Fallout with Swords

This is not how it works.
>>
>>332297409

I want to see actual gameplay instead of click left button to win.
>>
>>332297409
i'd rather get a totally customizable house
and also the only thing i want from TES it's just a decent co op
>>
No. One of the reasons Fallout 4's world was so shitty was lack of interesting settlements, since even what was there was built out of a handful of prefab parts. Every "building" game has shit looking building designs because everything has to be tileable.
>>
File: tumblr_m9kzappIk21r0ikfq.gif (421 KB, 480x183) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9kzappIk21r0ikfq.gif
421 KB, 480x183
>>332297409
I'd like it if it was implemented the same way it is in F4.

Not mandatory, easy to get into, but still deep enough to make really cool settlements if you really get into it.

I'm also excited for TES 6 anyway, considering how big of a step-up F4 was to F3. If they do the same upgrade/improvement to the next TES game it may actually have some lasting entertainment value, unlike Skyrim.
>>
>>332297409
Hearthfire with Skyrim actually started the trend
>>
File: 12860527312.jpg (63 KB, 635x450) Image search: [Google]
12860527312.jpg
63 KB, 635x450
>>332297409
All they need to do is:

>melee combat similar to Chivalry
>expanded/more interesting magic schools and spells
>less copy/paste dungeons
>more fleshed out guilds and guild quests
>more fantastical environments like morrowind, shivering isles and the oblivion planes
>>
If they do add base building in the next ES game, I for one hope they don't add in any shitty mechanics like having to build generators (Or magic crystals or whatever they'll use to fit the theme of TES) to power your buildings, and have the generators only have enough power for one to three things at most.
>>
>>332299792
What would you need generators, magic or otherwise, for in TES?

>torches/chandeliers light rooms
>enchanting tables are just tables
>alchemy tables are just tables
>water wells are manual

Only thing I can think of is if you'd have cosmetic shit like magic purple orb lights, dwemer mechanical stuff, or teleportals or something.
>>
>>332299773
>more fantastical environments like morrowind, shivering isles and the oblivion planes

This.
Generic, north-western woodlands and mountains is getting pretty stale.
>>
File: idunno.jpg (228 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
idunno.jpg
228 KB, 1024x768
>>332297409
I'd like something other than year eating story pasted over the gamebreo engine. but i'll probably devour whatever Tod Howard puts in front of me
>>
>>332300675
>year eating story

???
>>
>>332300675
I don't know what it was about Skyrim that got me.

I've played it for 200 fucking hours, mostly creating new characters over and over again to try different builds. I always grow sick of the stale gameplay and variety quit, but keep coming back a few months later.

What is wrong with me?
>>
>>332301074
I feel you anon.
>>
>>332301074
The game looks quite good and plays ok for the first few hours. It's not until you start trying to dig a little deeper that you realise how shit it really is.
>>
File: horriblelife.jpg (49 KB, 497x457) Image search: [Google]
horriblelife.jpg
49 KB, 497x457
>>332301074
I know what you mean. The mods don't help either.

I've probably spent more time browsing/installing/trying mods than playing the actual game.
>>
>>332300185
Fair point, but there's a lot of stuff they could do and say "need magic to power this constantly or keep it lit on fire", or like you said, any dwemer stuff, traps, etc. There wasn't a lot that required power in FO4 either but I still found myself having to build constantly humming monstrosities to power what little was there that took power.
>>
>>332300185
Power armor was canonically meant to run for several hundred years on those fusion cores, and look how they handled that. I'm sure bethesda will manage to fuck it up somehow.
>>
>>332301805
I hope if they make something requiring constant magic power for settlements, they'll just use little sockets that you place charged soul gems into.

You know, just like how the soul gem turret traps work in Skyrim.
>>
>>332297409
One village max and you would have to achieve the status of a jarl or something similar depending of setting to be able to do it.
>>
>>332297409
All I want is an actually engaging and fun combat system for both melee, archery and magic.

When your bread and butter of the entire game tastes like stale ass, who cares if it has a great settlement building system. It's still a shit, just with colorful sprinkles on it.
>>
>>332297409
I hope they refocus the settlement aspect. Don't make it about building fences and stuctures, make it about populating a town.

In fact, they could make it a whole interesting dynamic where you start a town/keep/kingdom. You basically hire people to build shit for you (make it easy and just have a preset list to choose from in terms of building design/architecture/elements), and invite people to polulate your town. Very similar to township in Breath of Fire 2 if you remember, but with vastly updated systems.

Then you can have soldiers/adventurers/explorers go on raids and expeditions to get you money. Bonus points: these can be companions that you don't really want to walk with you all the time. These will be either procedural or scripted missions with increased difficulty because of an increased party size, either go with them or let them go with the chance of failure and death. Use the funds to build up your town and attract investors/townspeople.

Incorporate outlying farms into your keep to grow a kingdom. Battle nearby towns to bring thme into the fold and eventually grow a mighty kingdom spanning the whole continent.

Super extra bonus: The plot of TES 7 is that your empire is corrupt and needs overthrowing several generations down the line
>>
>>332302515
I think you got something here.

>explorers run around for you
>encounter way too dangerous dungeon/area
>instead of exploring further, comes back and tells you about it
>gives a few details about the enemies and area
>map marker placed

All my dosh.
>>
File: 1284894139269.jpg (24 KB, 632x467) Image search: [Google]
1284894139269.jpg
24 KB, 632x467
>>332302515
>>332303038

>npc ally that thins out the herd of copy/paste dungeons
>brings all the loot/gold back to you
>leaves the bigger/more interesting dungeons for you to clear yourself

fucking brilliant
>>
They're going to have to build a new engine for TES6, so likely a lot of features in skyrim/fallout 4 will not be put in again, since they would have to start from scratch to make them again.

I just hope that there is fucking viable magic use. None of this 30 shots of ice lance instead of 2 hits with a sword nonsense. The only problem is that magic needs to not be overpowered but still progress in power over the game. Perhaps more aimed spells or skilled spell use could help. Encourage spell combos that do extra effects with multiple schools or something.

And above all, make it easier to use more than 2 fucking spells. Assign 3-4 spells to each hand, and let you use a combo of alt+click or shift+click or something to use the various spells. Problem solved.
>>
>>332302515
Triple word score: There is a real time advancement aspect to this. Not necessary to progress, but if you don't play for a month or so, when you log back in it assumes they have been going on missions/recuiting townspeople at a slower rate over that month.

You come back after a year to see your town is fucking huge and the soldiers are all decked out in plate mail, with a fucking dragon head nailed to your keep entrance.
>>
>>332303358
>They're going to have to build a new engine for TES6

Really?

This is fucking Bethesda we're talking about. TES6 will be running on Gamebryo Mega Creation Super Engine v36

a.k.a Gamebryo 1.7
>>
>>332299773
>>melee combat similar to Chivalry
Is the melee in Chivalry better than in Dark Messiah?
>>
>>332303358
To be honest as much as I hate Bethesda's botched version of Gamebryo, I fear a new engine would make a lot of things we take for granted be ignored.

>And above all, make it easier to use more than 2 fucking spells. Assign 3-4 spells to each hand, and let you use a combo of alt+click or shift+click or something to use the various spells

Oh, and bring back instantaneous spells like in Oblivion along with the "equipped" spells from Skyrim.

Stuff like Soul Tap and summons should be one button press not:
>press 3
>charge spell
>release spell
>press 1
Every fucking time.
>>
>>332303661
It is similar, but with improved depth.
As in, bigger moveset, more involved blocking, better weapon hitbox detection.

So yes.
>>
>>332303661
Depends. At the base level Dark Messiah has pretty mediocre combat, but the environmental focus makes it feel great.

Get rid of the kicks, the spikes, the clutter and all that crap and it's pretty me, good, but nothing outstanding.

Chivalry does that a better, but unlike Dark Messiah, you have non of that stuff that makes the fights dynamic and unique, and well, really fucking fun.
>>
File: 1369194920774.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1369194920774.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>332303358
Yeah, like that will ever happen.

>>332303850
>As in, bigger moveset, more involved blocking, better weapon hitbox detection.
As nice as it sounds, I honestly doubt that Bethesda would actually bother with working on something like that, when they know they can pull of a half assed job on the actual fighting mechanics and people would still eat it up.
>>
>>332303825
Imagine if Bethesda realized most mice have 5 buttons as standard.

Like other anons have mentioned, Chivalry does this. You could have more movement/attack options as a melee character, and more spells ready on the fly as a mage character.
>>
>>332304124
I would be happy with just a ordinary 1-9 type hotbar for instantaneous spell casting like rpg's have done for ages.
>>
>>332301074
Same here. I have about 50 hours in the game according to steam. Never got through the main quest. Only faction I've completed was companions.

The game is fundamentally appealing, but their execution is what fucks it all up. You keep coming back because you want to fuck around with a new build, explore, craft shit and find loot. Then about 3 hours in, you remember that the gameplay was actually just clicking on bullet sponge enemies through generic Draugr dungeon #518.

Every quest is literally:
>Hi there stranger. I found the location of this awesome mystical ring with a cool lore backstory to it. You may even remember it from books in previous games. This quest will surely be epic!
>Now go find it in the Draugrjammon, a dungeon I marked on your map.
>Follow linear dungeon for 3 areas hacking through Draugr
>Its a shitty 200 gold ring that boosts your fatigue 20pts.
>>
>>332298532
They should do what they did with hearthfire where you design your house from blueprints and just add decorating on the inside form FO4, only make both systems way less shit.
>>
>>332304113
To be fair. The combat in Fallout 4 was actually pretty decent, especially for a sandbox RPG.

Nothing to write home about of course, it's the bare minimum you would expect, but at least functional unlike 3.

And let's be honest, the TES have have pretty much gotten better combat with each installment.
>>
>>332304109
Maybe it's just my nostalgia that's kicking things up, in regards to DM's combat, but I think the feeling of weight that the weapons had was also done quite well.
>>
No. They should keep the decorating system in.

What they need to steal is the home system from Fable. Every single house in the game should be purchasable, if you kill the owner. Or perhaps if you have enough influence with the owner, you could convince them to sell to you.

Then, like Fallout, you should be able to place your beds and dressers and such whereever you want. Also, you should be able to make stuffed monster trophies and such.
>>
File: hammerfell 2.jpg (299 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
hammerfell 2.jpg
299 KB, 1600x900
Elsweyr or Hammerfell
>>
>>332304490
That is true, and one of the weaker parts of Chivalry I think. When you hit something in DM it feels like your sword connects with something(well, power attacks at least), while in Chivalry it often feels like you are swinging around a lightsaber.
>>
>>332304583
hammerfell but only because it might inspire them to put more effort into melee combat

otherwise elsweyr
>>
File: 1380136434501.gif (2 MB, 250x187) Image search: [Google]
1380136434501.gif
2 MB, 250x187
>>332304296
Don't get me started on the fucking treasure in this game.

>large fort with dousins of people inside
>mages, necromancers, mercenaries
>tough as nails, even have to savescum to get through
>boss is hard as tits bullet sponge armored bandit
>find final treasure chest

A fucking +5 pickpocket ring, a poison flask and some spare change.

>mfw
>>
>>332304113
>>332303825
>>332303643
I think they are going to have to. A big reason that Fallout 4 didn't do as well as skyrim is that it didn't have that next-gen feeling. Tons or people complained that it felt like an older game despite being just released. This happens when you reuse engines for 5 years. If they want to recapture the sweeping success that skryim had, they're going to have to have that awesome graphical fidelity that can only come with a new engine.

Plus, if they were just using the same engine, we would already be hearing about TES6, since enough assets would be done to have a teaser trailer and tentative release schedule.
>>
>>332298674
But Fallout 4 is just Oblivion with guns with swords with guns. The next TES will be Oblivion with guns with swords with guns with swords.
>>
About to boot Skyrim back up.

Any ideas for a good roleplaying build? Last time I played, I roleplayed a bandit and went around killing random people patrolling the roads, and attacking lone farmsteads. Built my self up to about level 20, and slaughtered Whiterun.
>>
>>332304431
>make both systems way less shit.
But that involves doing work
>>
All I want from TES6 is for it to not be a shallow and casual piece of shit.
>>
>>332298674
anon is making a joke you ninny
>>
>>332305056
Be a Wetboy.

If you get that reference, I applaud you, if not, I'll explain.
>>
File: 1456249230468.jpg (23 KB, 189x287) Image search: [Google]
1456249230468.jpg
23 KB, 189x287
>tfw you realize Bethesda will use Gamebryo for a new TES again
>>
>>332305056
Dirty drunken thieving lout Khajiit

Avoid fights at all costs except for cheap backstabs. Drink every bottle of booze you find and always keep a stash of more on you. Steal every fucking thing you can get your hands on, if youre drunk while doing so go way over your encumbrance limit. When recovering from a drunken spell randomly drop a few items from your bag. Always pick the talk shit option when presented. Sleep outdoors. Never have any money but always be at least tipsy.
>>
File: image.jpg (153 KB, 640x854) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153 KB, 640x854
>same engine
>>
File: 20160328031237_1.jpg (603 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160328031237_1.jpg
603 KB, 1920x1080
>>332304468
Well, I haven't yet even considered trying FO4, mostly because I'm still waiting for some good and major mods to drop, but if the combat is actually better than FO3's than that's actually good. Makes me wonder why the game was so poorly received then, even amongst casuals?

>And let's be honest, the TES have have pretty much gotten better combat with each installment.
Yes, they are technically improving the combat, but the improvement's aren't exactly all that huge, to be fairly honest. In Skyrim, I can still run to a dragon and just spam mouse attacks until it dies, with the occasional healing potions and such, though maybe it's because I put a lot into stamina.

>>332304732
I actually wonder if it's possible to fix this, in Skyrim, via mods. I haven't really bothered trying to mod Skyrim myself, but weapon weight and feeling of handling weapons is something that often bugs me in games, FPS' as well.

>>332304951
This actually makes me wonder, does the current version of Gamebryo support VR? It seems to be quite popular, so I guess they'd need to have support for it.
>>
File: enb 2016_03_13 21_12_59_10.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
enb 2016_03_13 21_12_59_10.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>332305056
Hunter
>>
>>332302515
>I hope they refocus the settlement aspect. Don't make it about building fences and stuctures, make it about populating a town.

All these would make a better game than TES but it wouldn't be TES anymore.
>>
>>332305390
>Makes me wonder why the game was so poorly received then, even amongst casuals?

Well, it's all the other features that is really lacking. It's pretty much a downgrade from NV in every way apart from the combat and graphics. Like Oblivion and Morrowind.
>>
File: 1446061197173.jpg (18 KB, 294x369) Image search: [Google]
1446061197173.jpg
18 KB, 294x369
>>332305263
>>332305263
>>332305263
>>332305263
>>332305263
>>332305263
this
>>
>>332305390
>Makes me wonder why the game was so poorly received then, even amongst casuals?
I think everyone was expecting something like New Vegas but instead they got Fallout 3 2
>>
>>332305263
The F4 version of Gamebryo isn't that bad.

As long as they improve everything else that was wrong with Skyrim, such as quest stories, melee combat, magic variety and location variety.
>>
>>332304296
>The game is fundamentally appealing, but their execution is what fucks it all up. You keep coming back because you want to fuck around with a new build, explore, craft shit and find loot. Then about 3 hours in, you remember that the gameplay was actually just clicking on bullet sponge enemies through generic Draugr dungeon #518.

My imagination makes it more interesting for me when I am going through those dungeons. Looking at everything and thinking about implications. Also, I always played as stealth character, combing for loot. Sneaking builds more tension and you think about the tactical situation more. Unless the draugr are sleeping, in that case you can just run through backstab killing them all.
>>
>>332305762
>The F4 version of Gamebryo isn't that bad.

It looks worse than vanilla Skyrim, while having like double the spec requirements.
>>
>>332304838
>A fucking +5 pickpocket ring, a poison flask and some spare change.

That is one thing they really messed up. My favourite thing is looting but they made the gold and silver so undervalued. Jewellery should have been much, much more valuable.
>>
>>332305880
I didn't say it looked good. I just meant functionally.
>>
>>332305602
>>332305697
Leave it to bethesda to fuck something up, even when all they have to do is just copy paste the base formula of a previous game.
>>
>>332305762
You say that but they still have some things that looked ridiculous by Oblivion standards.

Like how NPC's just fade out of existence when they enter a new area or how they can only have a minuscule amount of them in the same area making any "epic" set pieces they love to shove down our throats so much look like a elementary school play.

And that's not to mention how the entire dialog system in Fallout 4 is full on broken and barely works. It's so bad it makes me wish they went with the Oblivion "zoom into their faces while everything stands still" shit.
>>
Is TES6 really "Skyrim 2" ?

Because if that's true, I'm done with Bethesda forever.
>>
File: minibigmaproadslore39fz.jpg (650 KB, 1800x1100) Image search: [Google]
minibigmaproadslore39fz.jpg
650 KB, 1800x1100
>>332304296
HEY fucker. Don't forget the Daedric artifacts that punish you for getting them early because Bethesda is convinced level scaling FUCKING EVERYTHING is good game design.
>>
>>332305829
> Looking at everything and thinking about implications

That only makes it worse though.

For example, when going through Castle Volkere in the expansion, they make the point over and over that no one was been in her mom's secret garden and room for like a 1000 years.

Yet its filled with books written in the last 100 years.

There are dozens of sealed Draugr dungeons that supposidly haven't been opened for hundreds of years. The Draugr all carry ancient Nord gear from ages past. And then sitting on all the tables and in all the chests is modern weaponry.
>>
>>332297409
FUCK BUILDING GO PLAY MINECRAFT U AUTISTIC FUCK.. i feel better now.
>>
>>332306080
I thought they got rid of that for Skyrim?

It was a pain in Oblivion though, thank god for mods.
>>
>>332297409
I don't want to see a new Fallout or TES game. I had some last minute hype for Fallout 4 out of nowhere and was bitterly disappointed yet again.
>>
I'll say no. The settlement building as it is in FO 4 is an incredible shallow and a tedious time waster. The purpose of which just comes down to creating resources for crafting or to sell for caps. It doesn't influence any thing meaningful such as the main story or even open up new content.

But I think most of the problems I have with settlement building in FO 4 could be solved by simply having the player have a dictatorial role rather than having to do every thing personally. The time I have to invest personally into town planning and building infrastructure doesn't outweigh the potential benefits.
While I'm spending 3+ hours setting down buildings and tailoring the spaces how I like, I could be doing something much more fun such as exploring the game world or completing quests.
I'd much rather organise a settlement and tell my citizens what they should do rather than do it all myself. And I don't mean telling Jack the Farmer personally that he should work those 5 carrots.

Settlement growth isn't organic or natural because the player has to do everything themselves and it all can happen instantly. If I want to build shops I have do it myself. I have to find the resources myself and then when I want the building it's completed instantly with no sense of accomplishment or gratification.
If I find a plot of land in the bumfuck of nowhere I could turn it into the biggest town in the Wasteland in no time at all providing I've horded the resources necessary previously.

I'd kind of have it like the Homestead from AC 3. You recruit settlers and NPCs to fulfil roles, and they get on with them without you having to micro-manage them all the time. Need to start constructing homes and functional buildings? Find and recruit people that have knowledge and experience in building works. I'd like to return to the settlement after exploring and find that they've organised idle settlers to help with construction and find them in the middle of raising walls and shit.
>>
>>332305497
I think they could either make townbuilding a small facet to do for fun and limit the scope, or have the entire campaign focused around building a kingdom. It would certainly make an interesting twist in the equation that the audience would appreciate.

Plus, it would really lead itself to "emergent gamplay" that the marketeers can put on the back of the box. Since the game is then about your kingdom, you really feel the story progress as you progress your town.

You could even make it divergent this way. Have important scripted story elements trigger as your town gets to a certain point, and exclude others. You grow to a certain size and you're under attack by bandits, which then leads you to get your first outlying town. You expand in certain directions and trigger conflicts with other empires.

Depending on how you grow your town (physical lands and types of people) you and up having totally different and exclusive stories/conflicts. You go east and you have a ton of trouble with theives infiltrating your city. Go west and you fight a large scale war with the Aldmeri. Have enough soldiers and you go on a campaign to fight a colossal mountain titan.
>>
>>332306047
>how they can only have a minuscule amount of them in the same area making any "epic" set pieces they love to shove down our throats so much look like a elementary school play.

Remember all the "sieges" in the Skyrim Civil War quest line?

I'm still dumbfounded that stuff made it out of the cutting room floor. They looked so laughably horrible.
>>
It should be improved i mean it wil be around 2020.

A planning phase where you can set height\lenght of your walls but first you need to buy raw mats and hire builders that will come wnd build it for you.

Instead of building many pointless villages that you dont even care about, are not important to your story and you dont really care about your second settlement in fallout4. Tes6 should be focused on 1 settlement which you improve over time, from wood to stone, stable , adding some smelters if you are into the blacksmithing. Maybe even hiring a blacksmith to operate it for you, then you build a small home for him etc. Slowly expanding from 1 home to automous castle home or village. You can have 100 random npcs in the fallout 4 and it wont feel as unique as having 5 unique npcs living in your home. It would be a nice way to make followers you meet usefull.

Something like in the bloodmoon expansion,but with more choices and freedom.
>>
>>332297409
I'd like to see them take a shot at your character not being the chosen one for once. Or, alternatively, if you are some sort of chosen one make the world actually react to you like you mean something. Worst part of Skyrim was how static everything felt. Civil war could've been done so much better as far as changing the world goes and would it really have killed them to have khajiit characters barred from cities like all the others?
>>
File: 1343252668131.gif (196 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1343252668131.gif
196 KB, 500x491
>>332306193
>I thought they got rid of that for Skyrim?

Nope.
Wanna do the Mage's College questline early on? Sure you can.

Oh by the way, the supposedly "all powerful" beam-of-death magic staff you'll get for finishing it will be as powerful as a stream of piss if you get it on early levels.
>>
>>332306080
What's the better way to handle this though? Gate content with strong enemies? It's a legit either or, maybe you prefer one over the other, handling out OP shit to low level characters doesn't sound like a good idea to me, gating you out of content for arbitrary reasons such as character levels are kind of silly too, in the RPG environment.

I see many games handling this differently, none of them get everyone's approval, there are always compromises, do you have a solution?
>>
>>332306193
Hup tut, you're right. Been playing Oblivion too much recently. Skyrim's issue was just shitty enchants compared to crafting your own.

Slight step in the right direction with Skyrim there. If FO4 is any indication of the direction they want to go, though, I'm fucking out. Can not stand RNG loot.
>>
File: Skyrim 2016_03_26 23_53_41_59.jpg (659 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Skyrim 2016_03_26 23_53_41_59.jpg
659 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>332305947
They have access to spells that literally turn common iron into silver and gold. It's why jewelry is cheap and the currency is made out of real gold.
>>
>>332306624
>Gate content with strong enemies?

Yes.
Its not that fucking difficult to imagine, is it?
>>
>>332306305
>beat a god that was sent forth to end civilization(that abandoned his plans after destroying one little town for some reason)
>travel through the heavens to fight him
>win
>get congratulated by like three dorky ordinary looking NPC's that shout "all hail the dragonborn", not even in unison

Thanks Bethesda, thanks.
>>
File: 1445391344970.jpg (7 KB, 255x220) Image search: [Google]
1445391344970.jpg
7 KB, 255x220
>>332306674
>people actually fap to this
>>
>>332306624
Yes that is how every RPG used to do it
>>
>>332306937
dumb mouse poster
>>
File: Morrowind daedric helm concept.jpg (875 KB, 1108x845) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind daedric helm concept.jpg
875 KB, 1108x845
>>332306624
Yes you fucking gate content with stronger enemies. Half the point of an RPG is to progress and grow stronger to meet new challenges. Holy fucking shit I will never understand people who call this "punishing" exploration. The challenge and your eventual overcoming it is THE REWARD.

Morrowind isn't perfect, but this is the one thing it absolutely got right. NV, too.

It makes it easy as shit to engineer purposes for classes, too. You can make a thief and luck out finding a daedric wakizashi early, or excel in magics and take an entirely different path. Different challenges and walls for different play styles are FAR better in feel than being able to do literally everything right out of the gate. Scaling content with zero walls to progression is the blandest fucking porridge of gaming.
>>
>>332306867
>Dragon attacks guard tower outside of Whiterun
>Its a fucking national crises! Everyone is scared out of their minds!
>Literally 2 guards is all it takes to kill a dragon
>Somehow that makes me the dragonborn.
>>
>>332307174
[Deleted]
>>
>>332306624

Well, fucking yeah. The legendary and most powerful rewards should be protected by the most powerful and rare of enemies.

I don't want to be able to bumrush a quest line, defeat a level 5 Black Hydra-Dragon with a steel dagger and then claim a level 8 mace of shock damage as the fabled weapon of legend.
>>
>>332307081
>spend the entire fight hiding in the tower while the archers do anything
>"I hereby name you Thane of Whiterun"
>>
>>332306624
It was already perfect in Morrowind. There are low level dungeons with low level loot, and high level dungeons with high level loot.

If you wander into a high level dungeon as a low level, wander back out and come back later.
>>
>>332297409
no because it will be shit

yes because it will immediately unveil how fucking trash Bethesda's ideas of "settlements" have become when your half assed randomized gimmick town is more interesting than any in game settlement
>>
>>332307461
Or run past the enemies, get the loot, and be overpowered for the rest of the game.

As much as I love Morrowind, it's so fucking easy to become overpowered in it, like one dungeon crawl and will have enough money to last you the entire game, especially if you go to Creeper.
>>
>>332306624
>handling out OP shit to low level characters doesn't sound like a good idea to me

But if you put a high-ass level boss in front of that OP shit then low level characters wont be able to get it, now will they?
>>
File: Defense_of_Bruma_Martin_Speech.png (3 MB, 1634x1048) Image search: [Google]
Defense_of_Bruma_Martin_Speech.png
3 MB, 1634x1048
>>332306867
>battle of bruma in oblivion
>sean beans gives an "epic" speech to the assembled might of the empire
>a dozen or so soldiers standing awkwardly spaced out (assuming you tortured yourself doing oblivion gates, otherwise it's like 5 people)
>floaty combat ensues

bethesda doesn't seem to understand their own limitations. they probably saw LotR or something and wanted to replicate that "cinematic" feeling in their game. only it doesn't work because the engine, gameplay, nothing is designed for that kind of stuff. instead of scrapping the idea and playing to their strengths they make something shit instead. every time.
>>
I would like to be able to set houses on fire because I like to roleplay a marauder.
>>
>>332307953
It's one of the strengths of Morrowind. They knew their limitations and played to them, instead of doing this shit.
>>
File: cliff racer scum.jpg (624 KB, 1024x1657) Image search: [Google]
cliff racer scum.jpg
624 KB, 1024x1657
>>332307750
No Anon! Don't you see? Being able to make a creative work around in subsequent playthroughs with meta knowledge you've obtained from playing the game extensively is broken. We NEED the handicapper general to make sure our loot is fucking garbage and random and that enemies never exceed The Threshold of Difficulty Agreed Upon by All as Being Most Appropriateâ„¢.

Otherwise it's just not fair.
>>
>>332307729
>it's so fucking easy to become overpowered in it

Idd, I literally go to some caster shop in Vivec and buy a chameleon scroll, bring some lockpicks and just raid the Telvanni or Hlaalu treasury.
>>
File: Skyrim.jpg (585 KB, 2560x1080) Image search: [Google]
Skyrim.jpg
585 KB, 2560x1080
>>
>>332307729
>Or run past the enemies, get the loot, and be overpowered for the rest of the game.

there are probably better ways to fix that than ruining the whole progression of the game. if you run through a dungeon and the enemies just trail uselessly behind you, you could probably improve the AI, or make faster enemies, or make dungeons more complex so you can't just bum rush them.

bethesda always goes with the lazy route though.
>>
>>332307953
>Playing Oblivion
>FPS drops to <20 when there's more than 3 NPCs on screen

Bethesda's programmers should feel bad.
>>
FUCK HAMMERFELL. I don't want any more generic fantasy forests.
>>
>>332307729
>Or run past the enemies, get the loot, and be overpowered for the rest of the game.

Which would be a failure of enemy AI or dungeon design.
>>
>>332308512
Its amazing how well a modded Skyrim really holds up.

Its also pathetic that my modded Skyrim with 4k textures and an ENB looks a world better than Fallout 4, yet performs almost exactly the same.
>>
>>332306993
>Mickey Mouse
>an actual mouse

top kek
>>
>>332307729
>like one dungeon crawl and will have enough money to last you the entire game
What? Any dungeon you can reliably raid in Morrowind's early game will be giving you shit like common pants and pillows. Maybe some silver tableware or low level enchanted amulets if you're lucky.
>>
TES6

Godtier:

Mainland Morrowind
Atmora
Akavir

High tier:
Skyrim
Summerset Isles
Elswhyr
Blackmarsh

Mid tier:
Valenwood
Cyrodil
Hammerfell

Low tier:
High rock
>>
File: 1403965839774.png (183 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1403965839774.png
183 KB, 700x500
>>332297409
How would you feel if:
>The new TES game had combat and magic style similar to a Souls game or Dragons Dogma
>>
>>332309550
>Akavir

>Tiger men are retextured Kahjiit
>Snake men are retextured Argonians

I can already predict the disappointment.
>>
File: y tho.jpg (51 KB, 473x480) Image search: [Google]
y tho.jpg
51 KB, 473x480
>>332309550
>Skyrim AGAIN
>High tier
>>
File: 1130NordicRuins.jpg (3 MB, 3600x1500) Image search: [Google]
1130NordicRuins.jpg
3 MB, 3600x1500
>>332306624
Here's what you do

The starting areas of the RPG are relatively piss-easy. Try to incorporate some lore reason for it. For instance, in MOO and Morrowind, the most populated and cosmopolitan areas are relatively low difficulty, because people and guards and hunters all live there, protecting the place from evils. The further away you get from the starting area, the more difficult the game becomes.

In Skyrim you could do it on a gradient of how cold the region is. Falkreath and the Rift are relatively warm and you could give them low level enemies, but Dawnstar and Winterhold are cold as shit and probably full of sabre cats or whatever.

The fundamental problem though is that a lot of the quests that the game expects you to take early on, say in Whiterun or Falkreath, make you travel halfway across the continent into some godforsaken small corner of the map.

Another problem is that there are no pointless dungeons, which makes the world feel very artificial, as if it was just made for adventurers. There's no random abandoned dwemer towers or nordic ruins. There are very few small one-room cave dungeons or what have you. Everything has to be this big EBIC dungeon that's related to some chucklefuck villagers quest.

Here's what you do:

>Make different provinces different difficulty levels, with the player's starting location being easy. Further away you are from the starting location, the more difficult the game is. This shit worked in Morrowind and MOO, it can work in Skyrim.

>Make the world feel like it doesn't revolve around the player. Less bandits everywhere, less EBIC dungeons. Make shit feel real and lived in and like an actual location.

>Have more NPCs that aren't just quest machines. Have more dungeons that aren't just means to completing a quest.
>>
File: 1453292652128.jpg (778 KB, 900x1400) Image search: [Google]
1453292652128.jpg
778 KB, 900x1400
>>332309798
Could be fun, but I'd still want proper mod support.
>>
>>332309798
Wouldn't quite fit in my opinion. Combat like Dark Messiah however.

TES certainly needs a massive improvement in combat and the abilities available to both the player and the NPCs. Combat is just, block until enemy recoils, hit a few times, repeat.
>>
>>332309550
>Valenwood
>mid tier
Nigga fuck you. I don't think you really understand how fucking ganster the wood elves are and how cool a game would be there.
>>
>>332309798
while those are better games than TES, i want my TES to be first-person
>>
File: HIGHTEST.gif (476 KB, 188x174) Image search: [Google]
HIGHTEST.gif
476 KB, 188x174
>>332309798
>TES World and Lore with DD combat

No. There'd be no point in making more videogames after that.
>>
>>332297409
They're going to keep it, whether we like it or not, so it should be something cooler, like, set the game in Hammerfell and give us the option of making our own pirate base: build a boat, customize it with better sails and cannons, hire a crew...
>>
A lot of mods try to do this and even hearthfire to some extent. Fallout is dumb for building things because everything is ugly.
>>
>>332300675
They just need to make a very modular but good quality base game and give full support for modding.
>>
File: CK2game 2015-11-01 08-31-12-96.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CK2game 2015-11-01 08-31-12-96.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>The best Elder Scrolls game is a mod for CKII
>>
>>332303358
Fucking please, I'm tired of recycled Morrowind engine.
>>
>>332310554
>The best Elder Scrolls game is a mod

The irony
>>
I hate people that complain about being overpowered in a single player game. Just don't abuse whatever exploit/weapon/spell that you think is OP.

Have you fucking retards ever heard of self control?
>>
>>332306073
Do you think they'd make anything different when Skyrim was an insane success?
>>
>>332307953
Engine was already too old back then.
>>
>>332309123
What the hell is wrong with you? Hammerfell is one of the most exotic provinces you can get.>>332309550
>>
>>332309550
>Atmora
>God Tier

>Skyrim
>High Tier

Do you want a recycled shit game that badly?
>>
>>332310790
Self-nerfing feels really daunting whenever you're having problems. You just know a solution to your low damage, but forcing yourself not to use that solution can be really annoying to a lot of people.
>>
>>332310937
>Do you think they'd make anything different when Skyrim was an insane success?

Problem with samefaggotry is that it gets stale.
>>
>>332297409
Id rather see actual rpg mechanics return
>>
>>332311352
I think it's time to face the fact that it will be a TES-themed shittier Dark Messiah.
>>
Bethesda makes TES games by writing the shittiest generic fantasy bullshit and then just ctrl-f the script for dark-elf and replacing it with dunmer.
>>
>>332311352
rpg mechanics isn't casual friendly
>>
>>332310790
it's much more fun and satisfying when you have to push yourself to win a game, than having to hold back all the time just to make it good. i expect a game to come pre-packed in such a way that it will be provide a fun challenge. once i start having to put down limits on myself, i'm basically having to design my own challenge, which is what i was paying the developer for.

i'm fine doing it once or twice if there are a couple of features that are obviously broken, but when the whole game is messed up and basically can't provide a decent challenge unless i'm figuratively hopping around on one leg with both hands tied behind my back, then i'm just having to go to dumb lengths to try and get some decent gameplay.
>>
only if defense building actually prevented raids.
so fucking sick of my settlements getting wrecked when i have more lasers than jean michel jarre
>>
>>332309925
>This shit worked in Morrowind and MOO
>MOO
What, Master of Orion? That's hardly relevant to the RPG discussion.
>>
Instead of a settlement I'd prefer to build a keep/castle or something
>>
I won't buy it if it doesn't have spellmaking.
>>
>>332307953
i reverse pickpocketed bound armor and weapons into jauffres inventory and the dumb cunt still died every time at this battle
>>
>>332297409
I wouldn't mind it actually
Building a homestead in the hearthfire DLC was one of the comfiest things ever
>>
>>332307953
>ask Martin about the knights of the nine
>LOL as his voice changes from sean bean to generic male NPC #3
>>
>>332311986
A game providing a challenge is completely different from using meta-knowledge of the best gear and cheesing your way around shitty AI to get it as early as possible.

TES has always been easy as shit even if you just played naturally. I've no idea why the loot system has to suffer as a result when it's pretty much the driving force behind everything you do.
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.