[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /v/ like Torchlight 2? I never see anyone talk about it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
File: 03262016_142620160.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
03262016_142620160.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Does /v/ like Torchlight 2? I never see anyone talk about it
>>
I love it. I've put 175 hr into and still play it occasionally. Probably my favorite arpg to date.
>>
>>332292742
>Probably my favorite arpg to date.
OP here, I've only got 32 hours but that's cause I keep playing on hardcore vet

Its easily shaping up to be one of my favorites so far. I just wish the class system was a LITTLE deeper. Maybe taking another class as a secondary or something
>>
>>332291651
Enjoyed it a lot for the coop, but I tried playing with 5 or 6 different people and every time they either dropped the game by act 2 or immediately beat it solo while I was at work. Being the only working guy with a group of neet friends sucks.
>>
>>332293701
I'm playing with my roommate. We're playing on HC as well, we make secondary characters if we're not playing at the same time so we can trade them out when we die like extra lives.

Is this cheating?
>>
>>332291651

I don't know why, but I never got into Torchlight's game, I remember not liking the style and them being to slow or something like that.

Maybe I'll give those games another try when I'm tired of Grim Dawn.

>>332293850

Pretty sure it's not cheating, I think it's part of the game, but I imagine some people will say it is.
>>
I did one run through and it was fun enough, but nothing I could see myself playing over and over - plus I literally haven't had a friend in years so these games will always suck to me.
>>
Better than first game. But story is really cringeworthy.
>>
>>332291651
I really liked it. Shame I couldn't get it to work with friends though.
>>
>>332294473
>But story is really cringeworthy.
Caring about the story in a video game is like caring about how nice the fork looks with your meal
>>
I just couldn't stick with it for some reason.

I managed to complete PoE, D2, Titan Quest and D3:RoS with ease in comparison.

T2 just feels... soulless.
>>
>>332294710
Well if the fork is a rusted piece of shit I'd probably have doubts about eating the meal, that's not the best comparison.

Also food analogies are an instant demerit.
>>
Wasn't bad, but kinda disappointing given how long the delays were. The whole "magipunk" vibe is neat and all, but there's not much to do in terms of builds. No items that really change up what you do or have interesting/unique effects. It needed proper synergies too.
>>
I was never able to get into it fully because the maps were too fucking big. Felt like such a chore.
>>
>>332294973
>Also food analogies are an instant demerit
No this is just the latest meme people use to write off sound logic.

Disregarding an analogy just because it's a "food analogy" is like disregarding "ground beef" because it has the word "ground"
>>
>>332295250
That's two demerits now.
>>
It's a fantastic game, but there isn't much to talk about on /v/. You play the game with some friends, you have a blast, but there's really nothing to shitpost about.
>>
>>332295294
Still haven't explained what's so wrong with them.
>>
>>332294473
There was a story?
>>
File: D3.jpg (87 KB, 957x623) Image search: [Google]
D3.jpg
87 KB, 957x623
Playing pic related currently, why are the maps so fucking empty?

Just in the first big torchlight 2 area you had: the pirate event, the chest that needed a key, the portal minion that sent you to a random challenge and the quest to kill those big bear dudes. D3's maps have fucking nothing but goons and a generic cave.

There's like 0 reason to reroll the same class because of how easy it is to swap skills, I never feel like I'm working towards a build goal and so many of the skills are just another AoE with a different shape.

None of the mobs scare me either. In the second act of torchlight II there are these swarms of icebats that make my skin crawl. But D3 with its spooky horror themes can't manage that at all.

How do I convince my friends to play the better game /v/?
>>
>>332294710

story and setting can add a ton to video games.

but if the story and setting are bad, it doesn't take anything away...usually. Look at the recent mario RPG games. no good dialog or plot or settings and the games lose a ton of appeal.
>>
>>332295621
>There's like 0 reason to reroll the same class because of how easy it is to swap skills
I don't see that as a strike against it.
>>
>>332294710
>You have to share an existence with people this retarded.

Anyway, the game is pretty good, but shadowed by modern arpgs with new features and content.
>>
>>332294871

>played D3
>thinks T2 is soulless

I liked T2, and am currently obsessed with PoE, but to imply anything in D3 is anything but a mediocre cash grab triggers me. apologize.
>>
>>332295678
>I don't see that as a strike against it.

Other ARPGs
>let me use my build to the best of my ability to handle the current situation

D3
>let me change my build to handle the current situation
>>
>>332295678
Yeah I can understand people liking the ease of use stuff. I just felt that not being able to completely respec ever made multiple hardcore playthroughs feel vastly different.Having to play the start of D3 a few times when the classes never change got pretty old pretty fast.
>>
>>332295879
Still not a strike against it. Being able to experiment at will sounds fantastic.
>>
>>332295729

No

RoS actually made D3 a fun and immersive Diablo experience. I won't make excuses for the vanilla release, but the expansion turned the game around.
>>
>>332295932
>Being able to experiment at will sounds fantastic.
Sure, if that's what your into. I think it leads to a whole mess of casual game design pitfalls though.
>>
Good lot and exploration, combat feels really slow and sticky though as Engineer
>>
File: Sad Kobe.jpg (46 KB, 600x349) Image search: [Google]
Sad Kobe.jpg
46 KB, 600x349
>yfw RNGesus fucks you and you've got NOTHING heading into the final boss of an act
>>
File: 1459051226431.png (533 KB, 868x548) Image search: [Google]
1459051226431.png
533 KB, 868x548
>played TL/TL2 to hell and back
>too poor for D3
>PoE crashes constantly every 20 minutes

wat do?
>>
This game needs some better levels or, rather, some people who can make good levels with the editor.
>>
>>332296394
Play some older aRPGs, like Divine Divinity or Sacred.
>>
File: 1376987409544.jpg (349 KB, 1536x1600) Image search: [Google]
1376987409544.jpg
349 KB, 1536x1600
I loved it. One of my most-played games on Steam, 220 hours. I've beaten the game with each class, 'Zerker has to be my favorite followed closely by Engineer. Unfortunately I'm missing out on the rings I need to complete the Harbinger set, which is a real bummer, even though I've been trying to get them for ages. I've also done a fair share of somewhat-unintended farming in Tarroch's Tomb, when a guy I met over multi gave me a full stack of teleport scrolls to the aforementioned dungeon, along with some other real neat stuff.

>>332296113
Engineer is real slow, yeah, but the hammer slamming totally makes up for it. If you want to go REAL fast, pick Berserker and stack a Haste spell tome with a single point in Savage Rush - throw in some movement speed chaos ember and you'll be flying around the map at light speed.
>>
>>332296394

Play Grim Dawn.
>>
>>332295932
My experience with it was that I never really felt like I had put effort into building my characters. There was no sense of pride and while leveling I never had to plan my builds out in advance nor did I ever feel any sense of anticipation for an important level up.
>>
I tried playing Torchlight 2 again after playing Grim Dawn and damn it feels weird and clunky, which is saying something because if anything Grim Dawn is somewhat clunky itself.
>>
Grim Dawn shills please go
>>
>>332296513
OP here, GD randomly crashes to desktop, no error every 10 minutes-1 hour for me
>>
>>332296878
>liking a game makes you a shill
>>
>>332296878
Fuck off, you're allowed to like more than one game in a genre. TL2 came out nearly four years ago.
>>
>>332296883

I've heard something about the v-sync, not sure if it's for that game though or if it's even related.
>>
>>332291651
>Does /v/ like Torchlight 2?
>I never see anyone talk about it

Well you just answered your own question, retard.
>>
I enjoyed it, but started to get really bored towards the final boss. I don't know why, something about it just made it feel like a chore, and I have no desire to go back to it.
>>
>>332291651
It was held in high regard just by people who hadn't actually played it yet because LEL DIABLO 3 BTFO xDxD

It's actually really fucking shit compared
>>
>>332297478
There's a difference between disliked and underrated, anon.
Though i don't think Torchlight 2 falls into either of those categories
>>
>>332291651
It's the one ARPG I enjoyed less than D3. I don't even know why, but it might be the infantile artstyle
>>
>>332297478
>Fumble Chance: 100%
>>
File: 1436564133326.jpg (16 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1436564133326.jpg
16 KB, 447x444
>Act 4 Hardcore
>just now realize my build is trash
Well boys, I had a good run.
>>
>>332295490
It's just a meme that was forced by one person, relax
>>
>>332291651

Torchlight 2 is one of the games I am trying to trade for Sora, and qp shooting dangerous.
>>
Pretty terrible game without mods, okay-ish at best with them. It had horrible optimization, the retards at Runic Games developed it for dual-core CPUs in 20 fucking 12.
>>
>>332299702
>the retards at Runic Games developed it for dual-core CPUs in 20 fucking 12.
Find any video game dev that's developing on 4 cores.

protip: Where the base game engine isn't derived from an industry simulator
>>
File: 1454859406672s.jpg (3 KB, 125x105) Image search: [Google]
1454859406672s.jpg
3 KB, 125x105
>>332298178

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/vbdownloads.php?do=download&fileid=18

Go here, download this. Fills your shared stash with respec potions for skill points and attributes.
>>
>>332299891

I mean, is that it? it's either dual or quad? you can't take advantage of just 3? seems legit to me

either way, the game has serious stuttering issues with lots of enemies on screen when it really shouldn't.
>>
>>332300293

probably your gpu, bruv
>>
File: solidshakegifc68.gif (652 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
solidshakegifc68.gif
652 KB, 400x300
>>332300230
>implying I don't enjoy the fact that I've worked myself into a corner here and I'm not going to die in glorious combat in the corner of a dungeon somewhere

Save your potions, for Kritz Kringle's legacy will be carried on by his successor
>>
>>332300362

970 lad.
>>
>>332293850

Why don't you just make non-HC characters?
>>
>>332300593

well, I run it just fine with a 750 ti

sorry, cuz
>>
>>332300293
>you can't take advantage of just 3
We have that already, that's what your GPU is for

We aren't going to see efficient/mainstream(ie: used in video games) quad-core programming until the generation of programmers in school now are in the industry.

They're the ones that grew up on multi-core rendering and they're gonna be able to logically program in parallel. Right now it just doesn't happen. Very hard to teach old dogs new tricks, especially ones this radical.

Either way, how much ram you got? Stuttering usually occurs when your CPU has to dip into swapfile instead of ram usually
>>
>>332296394
Easy. Download Diablo 2.
>>
>>332300712
>Why don't you just make non-HC characters?
cause it's not as fun. I'm more of a journey > destination kind of guy.
>>
>>332291651
it's a bland diablo clone.

if you're into that it's fine. nothing really wrong with it other than that.
>>
The truth is, no matter how much /v/ shat on Diablo 3, all other contenders turned out to be just as underwhelming.
>>
Mods made it great.
>>
>>332301109
Same thing with MMO's. I blame Blizzard for forcing it's competitors to stoop to their level.
>>
The game lasts about 15 hours them it gets dull very quick.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.