[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
apeshit formula relies on callbacks and product placement (in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
apeshit formula relies on callbacks and product placement (in a sense that protagonists themselves are the product). In fact, it is a formula prevalent in the modern blockbuster and is also what killed it in a cinematic sense. Every established franchise, be it Star Wars or Batman is stuck in endless callback loop where nothing moves forward and only reiterations of audience friendly formulas are introduced.

For example, the much lauded Deadpool was a /r/circlejerk callback, and a prime bait for the facecam generation of followers / subs. By giving the viewer something he feels not only familiar with but an expert on, something easy to regurgitate afterwards and come to binary (dis)agreement, modern blockbuster became the most regressive of genres and killed American cinema outright.

It is in a sense similar to what From Software (and other devs) are doing with their franchises, only callbacks are not primarily done through familiar character archetypes (and they are also reintroduced) but through simplistic mechanics that rarely gets even a tweak. Anti-TECHNOLOGY and regressive trend in approach to video game mechanics is what holds the medium back but there is no consumer revolt nor there will be because modern gamer is conjoined with facecam people that give memetic content to 'his' gameplay experience - which is often just to sit there as a passive viewer after a long day in retail.
>>
>>332287337
Don't post this picture you misogynistic fuck.
>>
>>332287337
Is that Rachael McAdams? She's like my favorite actress ever.
>>
This is just a more elaborate way of saying "stop enjoying something I don't"

Like, cool opinions and all but that wont stop me from enjoying Souls games or the occasional blockbuster action flick.
>>
>>332288110
No one is stopping you from eating shit you asshole
>>
>>332288167
>those things you enjoy are FACTUALLY shit because I SAY SO
wooooo, sure got me there bud :')
>>
Lavren a cute
>>
>>332288110
>stop enjoying something I don't
You realize that this isn't a legitimate argument right?
>>
>>332288283
They are. Gameplay and TECHNOLOGY are the only objective truths we have about video game medium.
>>
>>332287337
I want to cuddle with her.
>>
>>332288370
....Thats what I'm saying to OP
No matter how much you complain about superhero flicks or Souls games, it wont stop me from enjoying them.
>>
>>332288432
You must be a fucking joy to talk to at parties
>>
>>332288525
Depends on the company. Do you talk like that in real life?
>>
>>332288481
Let me rephrase that for you
straw manning op's entire post into "stop enjoying something I don't" isn't a legit argument
It's pretty much the same tier as posting fedora picture to something you disagree with
>>
>>332288481
You can enjoy something while being aware of its faults. I like Binding of Isaac even though it's a horrible game.
>>
>>332288606
It's almost like most threads on /v/ are disguised hugboxes where negativity produces the same effect.
>>
>>332288432
And I think the gameplay is fun in souls games.
Fucking fight me, prove my OPINION to be factually wrong.

Threads like this are sad because you idiots actually think you can change or do something about peoples preferences and opinions.
>>
>>332288110
>"stop enjoying something I don't"

nobody said that

he makes a great point, you are just stupid, and it went over your head
>>
>>332287337
Who is she?
Why people keep posting her?
story?
>>
>>332287337
Mayberry is cute, CUTE!

Strong Hand beat song
>>
>>332288606
Then what is a suitable response?
Hes complaining about capeshit - superhero movies - and FROMSOFT games - souls series - because of "callbacks, anti-techonology and having regressive trends"

Hes saying those things are hurtful to the industry and I'm saying so what.
>>332288643
I am aware of the flaws in souls games. I barely play 1 or 2 anymore because the flaws shine too much to me. Bloodborne is still fun but I'll get tired of it just in time for DAS3
>>
>>332288797
>beat

best
>>
>>332288716
Hit detection is horrendous, backstab is simplistic to exploit, every battle is either a circlestrafe affair or you avoid said hit detection by hugging the crotch, most enemies can get hitstunned endlessly and after mid-game you get overleveled without even trying. Hitboxes and invincibility frames are all over the place and all these observations don't even count in the horrendous multiplayer akin to average facecam survival game due to how buggy it looks. Environmental damage is non-existent unless you're a wooden crate.

I am aware that employing Severance Blade of Darkness level of TECHNOLOGY would perhaps change the core combat model but From's ragdoll work (without even starting with other design aspects such as lighting) is shoddy at best.
>>
>>332287337
What you're talking about is post modernism.

Modernism was all about being as original as possible, but there was a flaw in that. Mainly that it resulted in a bunch of 2deep4u shit, but also because the end result of modernism was always going to be a blank stage, an empty page, a soundless song.

Post modernism was a counter to that. It recognised that every piece of work inevitably references other pieces of work, intentional or not, and that that's okay. That that should actually be embraced in order to create stronger pieces of work for the audience to enjoy.

The flaw with that is, as you've said, things get boring. The more media you're exposed to the more you recognise all the tropes repeating themselves.

So is there a counter to this? Possibly. One counter is to enjoy things ironically. To acknowledge that nothing is original but still appreciate a work for what it's doing with established tropes, even if you've seen it all before.

The other counter is hyperrealism. Basically this is when something becomes such a spectacle in its own rights it no longer needs to rely on its references to other work to be enjoyed.

Think of The Matrix. The Matrix world the humans inhabit is being enjoyed by them without any of them needing to know the real world exists. Without them needing to use it as a point of reference. The experience of the simulation is enough.

It's possible we may be reaching that point with VR, though I expect VR tech that can properly give the user a sense of hyperrealism is still a ways off.

Until then put your hipster glasses on and start enjoying things ironically.
>>
>>332288797
>Not Empty Threat

Anyways gr8 taste famitsu
>>
>>332288771
Lauren Mayberry of CHVRCHES a synthpop group
Only popular because of her and her vocals
Great act give it a listen
Every Open Eye is one of the best albums of 2015
>>
File: 1416429152244.gif (2 MB, 334x357) Image search: [Google]
1416429152244.gif
2 MB, 334x357
>>332288995
>hit detection is horrendous
Not in Bloodborne, 99% of the time it works very well
>backstab is simplistic to exploit
Not in BB
>every battle is either a circlestrafe affair
>or you avoid the hit detection by hugging crotches
Not in BB
>most enemies can get hitstunned endlessly
And most enemies like that also come in packs, and in points where you can't just mash R1
>you get overlevelled without trying
If you feel that way, don't level that high?
>horrendous multiplayer akin to average facecam survival game due to how buggy it looks
Agreed, pvp is shit.
>environmental damage
Are you complaining that souls games are not Red Faction? The fuck?

I don't see why I should stop enjoying enjoyable and fun things anon.
>>
>>332289042
I can argue that western video games have many symptoms of post-structuralist hysteria but name dropping post modernism is kinda futile considering none of the vidya devs know what it means. Another thing is that post-modernism didn't exactly predict the way internet morphs the audience's taste and the influx of corporate marketing disguised as user feedback on social media. For example, whole Rotten Tomatoes site is abundant with cultural marxism (which doesn't understand post-modernism) and every popular review aggregator is agenda driven to inflict certain worldview on mediums whose products viewed primarily through metascores.

VR tech is more than 20 years old and high fidelity won't save the overpriced peripheral. In the heyday of post-mod video games innovated things monthly, some genres that are creativelly dead now thrived (FPS and RTS for example) and I'd again reiterate that today's scene is closer to Barthes's Death of the Author given that the age of the Streamer has taken the front seat while the 'gamer' became a sub (a term that works on several levels).

>>332289298
>not in Bloodborne
>>
>>332287337
You're a retard.
>>
>>332289384
>not in Bloodborne
Yes, the hitboxes in Bloodborne are better than in souls.
>inb4 webms showing bad hitboxes
People only remember the bad ones.
>>
>>332289612
The game either has hitboxes that work or it doesn't. You can't make a video of bad God Hand gameplay.
>>
>>332289761
>game has a couple bad hitboxes
>wooooow this whole game isn't good because bad hitboxes!
???
>>
>>332289901
There's not such thing as 'couple' bad hitboxes. If a hitbox is bad, it's bad because it's unreliable.
>>
>>332290003
Again, you only remember the bad ones.

I've played the game for over 700 hours and it only has like 5 really bad hitboxes that are bad always. Otherwise it works very well.
>>
Brandon go back to /mu/
>>
>picture deleted

For what reason?
>>
>>332291294
Beautiful women are haram
>>
>>332291294
mods don't allow beautiful female specimen as OP pictures
only degenerate mentally ill trannies with bait in the OP.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.