[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Final Fantasy VI and IV considered to be the best by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 12
File: presenting onion knight.jpg (20 KB, 270x431) Image search: [Google]
presenting onion knight.jpg
20 KB, 270x431
Why are Final Fantasy VI and IV considered to be the best by purists and Final Fantasy VII and X are considered to be the best by the mainstream?

Why are classics like Final fantasy V and Final Fantasy IX often skipped over or never ranked as the best or one of the best.

Also side remark, the way Final Fantasy V played, it felt like it was made before IV for some reason.
>>
>>332279167
>Final fantasy V
If you care about story, like at all, 5 is dullsville.

I can appreciate a job system but I hate how vanilla it is. No I'm not talking about edge, or deep lore. I'm talking about the difference between ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jgE-lrfZ3k
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNUo4WWw_M
>>
>>332279167
FF5 was being made at the same time as FF4 was

FF4 was originally an NES game and FF5 was for SNES, FF5 was going to be the first SNES FF, then around midway through FF4s development they moved FF4 to SNES and revamped the sprites and music to SNES ones
>>
>>332279167
FF IX is the best no matter what people say, the only downside is I hated the final boss.
>>
>>332279935
I'm not seeing the problem. 60s Batman is satire and is meant to entertain, not tell a deep story.
>>
>>332279167
>Why are Final Fantasy VI and IV considered to be the best by purists
Because 'purists' played them first and I, IV, and VI were the only games to come out in the West so it severely limited their options?
>>
V was ignored because of the lack of a western SNES release
IX is ignored because when people look at the PS1 final fantasy games, they'd rather fight about 7 and 8 for some reason. Decided to finally try it a few years ago and it's definitely my favorite one.
>>
>>332279935
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBNUo4WWw_M
Damn that takes me back. i used to wake up on sundays at 7am to watch this show, good times
>>
>>332279167
Bane?
>>
>>332279167
but that's wrong IX is often ranked the highest.
>>
>>332281301
That wasn't satire they were trying to be serious not funny.
>>
>>332281392
No one ever claims Final Fantasy 1 is the best, nada, not a soul have I ever heard say that one is the best.
>>
File: BDFF_Ringabel_Performer.png (182 KB, 442x646) Image search: [Google]
BDFF_Ringabel_Performer.png
182 KB, 442x646
>>332279167
because the real best Final Fantasy isn't even named Final Fantasy
>>
I legitimately and unironically enjoyed FFVA more than FFIVDS
>>
>>332281437
My only issue with 9 is how slow battle is. Everything else I love.
>>
>>332281437
>IX is ignored because when people look at the PS1 final fantasy games, they'd rather fight about 7 and 8 for some reason

Maybe because 7 and 8 were the first FF games to be released in Europe.

>>332284875
I really hope the first game's team makes a third one and that they wouldn't have to recycle the content so much because of Square Enix's meddling.
BS is okay too, despite the localization.
>>
>>332279167
It's the same as with the Zelda series. For the most part it can be generalised to the one that you played first when you were at a ripe age. The mainstream preference differs from the purist, because purists tend to be more into the titles, and the mainstream tends to only play a few of the titles.

A similar comparison could be made as such:

>ocarina of time got the mainstream fame
>is generally lauded as the best
>majora's mask got less mainstream fame
>it came out second,
>I think it has half the sales
>only some purists say it's the best.
>>
>>332284875
The first time I heard Ringabel speak, I was certain he was going to turn out to be a gay character, except for the dialogue he later says, his voice actor makes him sound gay if you don't pay attention to what he's actually saying.
>>
>>332285176
My first Zelda game was the very first Zelda game followed by the Adventures of Link, followed by Link to the Past,

and Ocarina of Time is my favorite followed by a Link to the Past, so for me it's not youthful nostalgia but an objective assessment.
>>
>>332285443
But that would make you a purist. Judging by what little sales data we have, you are in the minority.

And my explanation is only a partial effect, how good the games actually are is still the prevailing factor in most cases. It's just a way to explain why some titles are under-represented despite being of similar quality.
>>
>>332281437
Personally, after playing VII, VIII and IX, I can't look at IX as anything other than the best. Not best in the series, but as far as PS1 classics go, VII and IX blow VIII out of the water, and IX is just genuinely better than VII to me. I don't know why anybody likes as much as they do unless it's their first FF.
>>
story/world: all FFs are shit in that regard, if you are playing FF for the story, odds are you are retarded

gameplay/customization: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 13-2, 13-3, Type-0, FFT, FFTA2
>>
>>332288867
>story/world: all FFs are shit in that regard
Are you fucking kidding? I don't know about all of the classics, but pretty much every FF I've played from VI onwards has had a decent story (I say decent because I'm trying to lower the scale for VIII which I don't like at all).
I'm not even in love with VI, but the story is fine.
VIII is a shit game in general, but the story is decent.
VII is pretty good.
IX is better than all of the PS1 FFs.
X is fucking fantastic.
XII is a slow burner, but it's damn interesting.
The XIII trilogy was pretty solid. Gets a bit crazy sometimes, but it's a pretty cool story.
>>
>>332279167
Our world is run by faggots who were told to discriminate against those with good taste and opinions, that's why.
>>
>>332289497
Care to tell me of any world where that isn't the case?
>>
>>332289340
that's some low-ass standards you have pal
planescape torment and betrayal at krondor had good story
you can't have good story with nomura's characters, let alone all the plotholes
>>
>>332289821
I've never played either one of those games, but have you ever considered that maybe your standards are just too high?
>>
>>332289340
>X is fucking fantastic.
opinion discarded. the plot makes no sense, the voice acting is terrible and it introduced to the serie one of the worst shit ever that ruined the serie : hallways.
>>
I'm not the type of faggot to call games "overrated" but I can only conclude that people put FFIV on a pedestal because of nostalgia. The plot is retarded, and the gameplay is boring. Sure it started a lot of trends, but not all of them were good ones.
>>
>>332290612
It's been ported/remade so many times so of course it's the best :^)
>>
True purists think FFV is the best.
>>
>>332290293
>the plot makes no sense
It amazes me that there's still people around who are too stupid to understand FFX.
>>
>>332288867
>story/world: all FFs are shit in that regard,
Please tell me which games you consider having good stories?
>>
>>332290935
>I-it's not shit y-you're just too dumb to understand!
yea whatever
>>
>>332279167
>the way Final Fantasy V played, it felt like it was made before IV for some reason.

How? They're both mash a to win.
>>
>>332290873
>True purists think FFV is the best.

Said no one ever.
>>
File: shiggus.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
shiggus.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>332291110
Not only do retards like this exist in 2016, they are also stuttering memeposters.
>>
>>332291135
I just did.
Japan agrees too. Its huge over there.
>>
>>332291123
Have you tried playing IV on the DS?

Doing that will get you nowhere.
>>
>>332291218
i'm not going to make a 10000 words post just to explain why i didn't like X. You have to accept different people all over the world have different taste anon. Have a good day
>>
>>332291306
Good thing he didn't mention the DS version at all.
>>
IX flopped big time when it released compared to VII and VIII. it is the reason of why SE created the FF committee and why it tend to be skipped
>>
>>332291284
V is just a lousy version of Bravely Default.
>>
>>332291383
Can you elaborate on that, I'm genuinely curious to know why,
>>
>>332291284

Then why does it still not have a remake?
>>
>>332291383
>i'm not going to make a 10000 words post just to explain why i didn't like X.
Of course you wont. Because you're a retard and you're scared of getting exposed.
>>
>>332290293
Hallways have been in the series since the beginning. They were just better masked in older games.
>>
>>332291564
Because Nomura is a gay.

I heard he wants a remake for 5 and 6 though.
>>
>>332279167
Because they are the last fun games in the series
>>
>>332291451
More like Bravely Default is a modern version of FFV.
>>
FFVII is 3D, FFX has voice acting.
>>
I know I'm a pleb with shit taste, but godammit if FF VIII isn't my favorite. I loved the idea of the military SeeD schools training child soldiers, the time traveling arch-villain witch Ultimecia, the idea that using GFs destroyed your memories, Squall's "...." dontgiveafuck lines, Chicken-wuss!, Rinoa being 10/10 freespirit goldenheart waifu, amazing soundtrack, the fan theory that Squall actually died during the first assault on Edea... I could go on forever. It really was/is the FF story tailor made for me I think.
>>
>>332291964
>Rinoa being 10/10 freespirit goldenheart waifu
Everything else is forgivable but not that. She's fucking horrible.
>>
>>332281443
What, have you not watched it since?
>>
>>332291673
VI needs a remake long before V.
>>
File: why.jpg (47 KB, 568x320) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
47 KB, 568x320
>>332292207
If this is the kind of quality we can expect for both of them, they can fuck off, I'm fine with the versions we already have.
>>
>>332279167
>Why are classics like Final fantasy V and Final Fantasy IX often skipped over or never ranked as the best

What. Lots of people rate FFIX as the best. Quite a common trait for them to be rabid in their defence of that claim as well. FFV has a shit story and shit characters, despite having a great job system - you might as well wonder why FFX-2 doesn't get rated up there as being the best alongside it. The latter reason also explains why FFIV was received in more of a positive light, generally speaking - it had a decent story and characters, same combat system with fixed classes and a cohesive villain, rather than a nihilistic tree.
>>
>>332292127
i quit watching the show when i was 10 to 11 i think, back in 2000. i should get to it again
>>
>>332292412
>it had a decent story and characters, same combat system with fixed classes and a cohesive villain, rather than a nihilistic tree.

So much wrong here I don't even know where to start. You really think IV's villain is "cohesive" compared to Exdeath? Really? At least Exdeath wasn't secretly being mind controlled all along.
>>
>>332291451
>>332291829
Bravely Default's a modern remake of the lousy FFV, only it actually has a plot. It does lack Gilgamesh, though.
>>
>>332292073
I did warn you I had shit taste anon.
>>
>>332291383
>i'm not going to make a 10000 words post just to explain why i didn't like X.
Implying you'll find a girl to ever have sex
>>
>>332292570
Golbez was much more cohesive, yeah. A tangible, ominous villain set on world domination that was *SHOCKING PLOT TWIST* the main character's brother, being manipulated by a wannabe dictator from the moon via psychic brainwaves. Once he's freed from the control of Zemus, he attempts to redeem himself by beating the shit out of Zemus (failing in the process).

Compare and contrast with Exdeath - an evil tree created through the imprisonment of evil souls in a forest, who wants to return everything to nothingness because...he's an angsty treant made from evil souls?

Either way, both Exdeath and Golbez have pretty swish armour.
>>
>>332289814
Hentai. Where all people care about is lewd sex
>>
>>332279935

FFV put Ifrit, avatar of fire, in a library - they clearly weren't taking it too seriously.
>>
>>332292330
What's wrong with those improvements?
>>
File: before and after w improvement.jpg (162 KB, 1340x560) Image search: [Google]
before and after w improvement.jpg
162 KB, 1340x560
>>332292330
What's your problem with that? They improved the graphics from the original so they aren't so grainy.

Picky, picky, picky.
>>
>>332279167

You think V and IX are skipped over?
XI wishes it even got listed by most supposed fans of the series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxrqm3oxQCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hkW2oLxj2Q
>>
File: Melkor-and-Ungoliant.jpg (12 KB, 220x141) Image search: [Google]
Melkor-and-Ungoliant.jpg
12 KB, 220x141
>>332293890
I have a theory that tree ex death was influenced by J.K. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings mythology surrounding the Ungoliant and the giant tree. I think they ripped off Tolkien.
>>
I like FFIV VI, VII because I dig the medieval theme. I dislike the whole steampunk theme that FF7, 8 and post modern ones like FF13, 15. And FFX sucked 8 dicks.
>>
File: burtz.png (19 KB, 86x102) Image search: [Google]
burtz.png
19 KB, 86x102
>>332279167
I started the game a few days ago and just got to Galuf's world.
When does the game become fun ?
>>
>>332280780
oh so THATS why
>>
>>332296252
Well for starters, they don't improve anything.
>>
>>332293890

You're making it sound much better than it actually was. FFIV was a mess of a plot focused on dumb twists and bad attempts at emotional manipulation (oh no character X died, whoops just kidding they're fine), "cohesive" is the last word I'd use to describe it. The only good part is Cecil for the first few hours but then he turns into a faggy paladin and his character development goes right out the window.

Also, a villain being replaced by a literally who at the last minute because of mind control (who himself replaced the king who was the villain for like a couple hours) is the exact opposite of cohesive.

I'm not even out to defend V here, IV is just worse in nearly every regard. The gameplay especially, people complain about how linear and restrictive X and XIII are, but IV was the prototype. Hell, at least X/XIII gave you some level of customization, IV had nothing. Even the customization that the DS version adds is very underwhelming.
>>
>>332292412
>FFV has a shit story and shit characters
Story yes, characters no.
>>
ive played 1-4 and 7, honestly 1 and 3 were the best. 7 was ok but it dragged out and i wouldnt play it again. 4 was awful, i dropped it in the middle of the crystal castle on the moon or whatever and never picked it up again. 2 had potential but was ultimately broken.
>>
File: Magnolia.jpg (35 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
Magnolia.jpg
35 KB, 400x240
>>332297663
>I'm not even out to defend V here, IV is just worse in nearly every regard

I DENY YOUR OPINION, AND EVERYTHING IN IT

Can't be bothered arguing to the contrary - too busy actually playing games, currently. At least we can both agree that the greatest last minute "literally who" boss in the series was Necron, from FFIX.
>>
V is really fucking meh. The job system doesn't save it from being one of the most boring FFs. There's nothing special about IX either. I think combat was shittier than VIII's honestly. Ok story and some good characters though.

IV and VI are nonstop rides of entertainment. I can't think of a single dull moment in either of those games. What IV lacks in combat it makes up in charm.

VII and X are really popular because they're great at story telling and have fun gameplay.
>>
File: FF.png (1023 KB, 1846x1452) Image search: [Google]
FF.png
1023 KB, 1846x1452
Story fags are the fucking worst

Posting OPINIONS
>>
>>332299526
Sorry for appreciating what the FF series was always praised for.
>>
>>332299526
What's wrong with wanting a great story? Also why the fuck would you skip 2

>2
>4
and
>6

Are the most plays of the early fantasies... for some odd reason even numbered final fantasy games tend to be better than the odd numbered ones... I wonder why that is?

The only exception being 7
>>
FFIII (NES) was the first FF i've beat, sorry OP.
>>
>>332299526
If you loved XIII but hate XII, you're mental.
>>
>>332299752
They are games. Good story doesn't make for a good game. It's a nice plus if it is good but in no way is it a requirement.
>>
File: 1443492042538.gif (3 MB, 286x258) Image search: [Google]
1443492042538.gif
3 MB, 286x258
>>332299526
all that shit taste
>>
File: 1428781003816.jpg (222 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1428781003816.jpg
222 KB, 850x850
>>332299526
>not liking VI or XII
I hate your opinions
>>
>>332298452
I've heard good things about V, but the same thing I always hear is that the gameplay is far better than the story. I'm still gonna give it a try though. IX was better than VIII in pretty much every way. Battle speed never bothered me one bit and I pretty much played VII-IX in succession.

I didn't beat IV yet, but I enjoyed it for the good bit I played. Definitely an interesting story.
VI, I'm almost to the end of. I'm actually doing a playthrough currently. The story is fine. The game itself is a bit meh to me, but I do appreciate the story. Like, I was bored mostly because newer flashier games have spoiled me, but objectively, I do think that the story is interesting though.

VII is pretty good, but I personally prefer IX. IX is the best of the PS1 games in my opinion.
X is definitely one of my absolute top favorites though.
>>
>>332299801
>What's wrong with wanting a great story?
Because it's a fucking video game. Go read books, watch movies, read VNs or whatever.

I'll play 2 and 5 eventually.
>>
>>332299526
That player has some bad taste in Final Fantasies

Here are the games he has the wrong reaction two

>Final Fantasy 1
>Final Fantasy III
>Final Fantasy Iv
>Really wrong reaction of Final Fantasy VI
>Final Fantasy VIII, it's good but not that good.
>Final Fantasy x-2
>Final Fantasy XII
>final Fantasy XIII
>final Fantasy XIII-2

I don't even know what the fuck is going on in the last images whether they're good or bad.
>>
>>332300219
What's wrong with 1 and 3?
>>
>>332300193
Why would I read a book when I can be in an interactive story and be apart of the story unfolding?
>>
>>332300005
A decent story is indeed a requirement in any jrpg. It just has to be decent, nothing special. Not many jrpgs are saved by their gameplay when the story is awful. The only examples I can think of is Grandia 3 and the KH series.
>>
>>332279167
well, 5 never came to the us until psx time, and 9 is complete swill.

and to be honest, 5 is a bit underwhelming once you get past the jobs system, and Gilgamesh, Gilgamesh should get his own fucking game.
>>
>>332300320
They pale in comparison by large to 2, 4, and 6. Those were the best of the early Final Fantasies.
>>
>>332300358
>A decent story is indeed a requirement in any jrpg.
Why?

>Not many jrpgs are saved by their gameplay
Tales of games, Star Ocean, Kingdom Hearts and Bravely Default disagree. I could name even more too.
>>
>>332300045
>I've heard good things about V, but the same thing I always hear is that the gameplay is far better than the story.
It's more that they didn't care about it for the most part so it's rather lighthearted/goofy in many places and situations.
>>
>>332279167
They should make a final Fantasy that is based on a post apocalyptic version of our world where the protagonist is a very elderly gentleman named Donald who once was very rich and had a vast empire, and all he wanted to do was make America great Again, but failed.

In this alternate version of our world, picture it like post 1999 in chrono Trigger as the landscape, and there only exists lots of destitute poor starving people, and an empire called Kardashia, where an evil Impress named Lyn Jenyur rules, she has been sucking the lifeforce out of the planet and its people to stay young and beautiful, and you must collect friends along the way as elderly Don to fight against the evil Lyn who only cares of beauty and whimsy.
>>
>>332300563
I've basically heard that too. Somebody told me that the game doesn't really take itself seriously and that I might get bored with it if I was having a hard time enjoying VI.
>>
>>332301264
And in mid game Jenyur decides she no longer wants to be a woman but a beast so she seeks to become Bahamut and destroy all existence so no one can say she is not beautiful or courageous.
>>
>>332292539
You should, because it's one of the most well-aged shows in existence.
>>
>>332302979
Did you ever watch the alternate intro to the show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmgIXH4Bp9g
Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.